Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tebowing Draws Suspensions in High School

Seems a little extreme.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7357978/high-school-athletes-suspended-tebowing

Re: Tebowing Draws Suspensions in High School

Sports today suck. What was that story about the kid in a championship game getting suspended getting a TD called back cause he raised his hand in the air? It's a game! Let people have fun.

It's a good thing I was never good at sports, because I would have celebrated every TD or point with extreme enthusiasm. That's what makes it fun
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Sports today suck. What was that story about the kid in a championship game getting suspended getting a TD called back cause he raised his hand in the air? It's a game! Let people have fun.

It's a good thing I was never good at sports, because I would have celebrated every TD or point with extreme enthusiasm. That's what makes it fun

They lost the State Championship!

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/schoo...lebration.html

Comment

When I was in HS in the 70s we could and did celebrate each TD with extreme enthusiasm. No one worried about hurting somone elses feelings. Afterall, life brings successes and hard knocks. We were expected to learn to deal with both.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

hasn't Political Correctness been carried a little to far. It's getting to the point where every word is going to become a letter word. F-word, R-word, N-word. making any expression of religion is a no-no, unless its Islam. the House of Representatives can't even say Merry Christmas or Happy New Year in franked mail http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...as-mail/261466. little kids being suspended for kicking bullies in the cajones to keep from being beat up. teachers taking "now we don our gay apparal (sic)" out of the song and replacing it with something like festive apparal. I for one am sick of it and see no good from it. When I played sports in the 70's coaches would do things like give your butt a kick into the line to make you block better, put on a helmet and run into the line to get you to tackle, things that would get them fired now. Now its don't offend anyone. Everyone has their opinion and this is mine

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            hasn't Political Correctness been carried a little to far. It's getting to the point where every word is going to become a letter word. F-word, R-word, N-word. making any expression of religion is a no-no, unless its Islam. the House of Representatives can't even say Merry Christmas or Happy New Year in franked mail http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...as-mail/261466. little kids being suspended for kicking bullies in the cajones to keep from being beat up. teachers taking "now we don our gay apparal (sic)" out of the song and replacing it with something like festive apparal. I for one am sick of it and see no good from it. When I played sports in the 70's coaches would do things like give your butt a kick into the line to make you block better, put on a helmet and run into the line to get you to tackle, things that would get them fired now. Now its don't offend anyone. Everyone has their opinion and this is mine
            Its funny but I do not feel any threat from the PC Police. As a law enforcement officer, this post surprises me and makes me wonder if it would be safe to re-enter the USA at Port Huron. Just joking, with more and more diversity things do change. Its not the safe Eisenhauer years(1950's) that I grew up nor is it the 1970's. It is now 2000 plus 12. Merry Christmas one and all.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 12-17-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              I think you have some good points. I do believe that some things that happened 30-40 years ago shouldn't have happened, but I also think a lot of things have been taken too far contemporarily as well. Once again, football is a game; let kids have fun.

Adults as well, actually. It's a joke that the NFL has strict rules on celebrations. These adults are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game but they can't have fun in the end-zone after scoring anymore? It reeks of racial undertones, but I don't want to open up that can of worms. I will just say that Al Michaels' sermon on celebrations that he delivered at halftime of a Sunday Night Football game a couple of weeks ago was one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen on television, and I am an avid Jersey Shore watcher. He used NFL celebrations as an indicator of the erosion of our society. Just absolutely sanctimonious.

Comment

They told them to quit doing it, I don't think it has anything to do with political correctness or religion. If you did that at Rapid City Central you could cause a riot.

Comment

The were just having fun. I mean come on, they were recognizing a football star. At MHS stuff like that isn't even a problem. We do a bunch of junk like.
                  Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                  ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I hate how guys celebrate in the nfl. I am all for guys jumping around with team mates high fives chest bumps etc. All the stupid dancing and showboating and talkin trash to the other team sfter you score. Act like you have scored a td before and that you will do it again. The simplier the less you draw attention to it the more classy it is a celebration imo. Trash talkin that goes on in sports is awful. Its not effective and makes um look like a jerk.

Its refreshing in football the two biggest stories are tebow and rodgers packers. Positive stories for once imo.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I hate how guys celebrate in the nfl. I am all for guys jumping around with team mates high fives chest bumps etc. All the stupid dancing and showboating and talkin trash to the other team sfter you score. Act like you have scored a td before and that you will do it again. The simplier the less you draw attention to it the more classy it is a celebration imo. Trash talkin that goes on in sports is awful. Its not effective and makes um look like a jerk.

Its refreshing in football the two biggest stories are tebow and rodgers packers. Positive stories for once imo.
                      In your opinion.

To me trash talk and ridiculous celebrations are awesome.

Comment

In your opinion.

To me trash talk and ridiculous celebrations are awesome.
                        Yep that's why I said it was imo. I guess I am more impressed with the play on the field not all the crap they say or how dumb they act.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

They do need a wake up call. I don't mind the celebrating..and some of the stupid dance moves are amusing, but the trash talk does need to stop. How bout someone helping an opponent up off the ground.
                          Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I think you have some good points. I do believe that some things that happened 30-40 years ago shouldn't have happened, but I also think a lot of things have been taken too far contemporarily as well. Once again, football is a game; let kids have fun.

Adults as well, actually. It's a joke that the NFL has strict rules on celebrations. These adults are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game but they can't have fun in the end-zone after scoring anymore? It reeks of racial undertones, but I don't want to open up that can of worms. I will just say that Al Michaels' sermon on celebrations that he delivered at halftime of a Sunday Night Football game a couple of weeks ago was one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen on television, and I am an avid Jersey Shore watcher. He used NFL celebrations as an indicator of the erosion of our society. Just absolutely sanctimonious.
                            I think rules governing celebrations has more to do with maturity and good sportsmanship than race....JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
                              They do need a wake up call. I don't mind the celebrating..and some of the stupid dance moves are amusing, but the trash talk does need to stop. How bout someone helping an opponent up off the ground.
                              my high school coach (with his career record couldn't argue his thinking) told us not to help the opponent up because it made you use up your energy lifting the guy then he expended helping himself get up. if the guy was smart he would let you do all the work. also because on the field you are opponents not friends. the only time you look at him is to knock him on his butt. at the end of the game you give em a handshake and tell em great game.

Comment

Working...
                              X