Good NDSU/playoff article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good NDSU/playoff article

Some good reading in here, I would guess it's not that uncommon, but man alive, it seems like Bohl has NDSU wrapped around his finger.

I can see the bonus thing for playoff games, but the thing that got me was that he gets 3% of gross regular season ticket sales....I assume that on top of his already $350,000ish/yr contract?

Perhaps some NDSU folk more in the know can chime in here.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/343916/
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: Good NDSU/playoff article

I think this is how it's broken down:

Base salary: 196,668
    Conf title: 10,000
    Playoff hm games @ 5000 each: 15,000
    Ticket sales: 25-40,000
    Media: 60,000
    Camps: 5,000
    Alumni speech: 5,000

Total now: 316668-331668

If NDSU win's against GSU and makes title game:

Runner up: 10,000
    Champs: 15-20,000

Potential max: 351,668

The ticket sales is hard to figure, used the numbers AD Taylor had as a range. Also saw two different sources for the title game as well.

Your estimate was "right on the money", Rowdy.

Comment

The only things I'd change are the ticket number and the championship figure. The bonus for winning the championship is definitely $15k. Numerous sources including the NDSU press release confirm it. I would also nudge the ticket bonus close to $50k. A while back, I actually counted the seats in the Fargodome and broke the seats down by price(used the FD blueprints to do it). After separating out the student tickets and averaging the season ticket and single game numbers, I got a season total of roughly $1.75 million in gross ticket sales(assuming all sellouts). That works out to $53k to Bohl. But we only averaged 95% of capacity this season, and some of the GA tickets were sold to children($8 instead of $15), so I'd put Bohl's cut at $45k-50k. Also, Bohl's previous contract had an incentive of $6k for a top-4 seeding; I don't know if that was continued into the current contract.

So, all in all, I would estimate the coach has already earned around $335k this year, and may get as high as $360k depending on that seeding incentive.

Some might ask why all this incentive junk? Well, we suffer from some of the same problems that you guys do in regards to coaching salaries and public perception/government oversight. We can't just jump Bohl's base salary into the $250k-300k range. Some groups and the media would scream bloody murder(though UND can get away with it with their hockey coach). The incentives are a way to get Bohl into the $300k range without it receiving the same level of scrutiny. If there was a way to get him a bonus for helping little old ladies across the street, it would probably be in there.

Comment

Well, good to know that it's 350k(ish) after incentives, not before.

I was thinking it was 350k base, PLUS incentives. Thanks for the info.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
        X