SDSU vs NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU vs NDSU

Any SDSU fans making it up to Fargo to watch the dual tonight?

NDSU has 2 wrestlers ranked nationally:

Sprenkle: #14 at 125
    Monk: #17 at 157

Re: SDSU vs NDSU

Bison won last night's dual 32-9. Won 8 of 10 matches.

Saw a few Jack fans in blue there last night.

I like our coach's style of wrestling (Kish - former Gopher), attacking style and moving forward. This is the 1st time I've seen the Jacks in person....they are more of a counter-attack style team. Probably more coaching style but you could see the difference in styles between the 2 teams.

Comment

Congrats to the Bison. They have done a nice job in the transition to DI wrestling. While it will always be difficult to match the tradition of some of the neighboring powerhouse programs like Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State, and Nebraska, I do think both SDSU and NDSU have potential to make an impact like Northern Iowa has done. Dan Gable built a dynasty matched by few collegiate programs of any sport by recruiting solid talent with outstanding work ethic and heart. While it will be difficult to match what he did at Iowa, I think you can always find some kids that can excell at this level. A couple of years ago, Tervel Dlagnev wrestled heavyweight for the University of Nebraska, Kearney - a DII school. His senior year he was not only the DII wrestler of the year, he was arguably as good as any heavy weight in DI. He was recruited out of Texas, hardly a hot bed of wrestling talent. Now he is one of the top wrestlers in the world at heavyweight.

I think SDSU is on the right track now with the excellent recruiting class this year and the addition of Ty Eustice to the coaching staff. We have some talent as displayed at the UNI Open last week. Aaron Pickerel, Dustin Walraven, and Nick Flynn have proven they compete with the power conference wrestlers. The next step of having an All-American will happen.

Thanks for the update Bison Fan!

Comment

Story with results from GoJacks.com: http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...B_OEM_ID=15000

Comment

This question might have been asked before, but why didn't we have anyone wrestle last night at 133?

It seems we have wrestlers at that weight but chose to take a forfeit. Doesn't it make more sense to put a guy in there and see what he can do? Worse comes to worse, he get's beat and loses the same amount of points as a forfeit.

I'm not all that familiar with wrestling so that might be a dumb question but it has never made sense to me.

Edit:

Just looked at the roster and it looks like we only have one wrestler at that weight, a freshman, Nick Chavis. I guess that makes more sense if maybe he was worn down and they didn't want him to wrestle.

Comment

When is the last time we beat NDSU in a duel?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              When is the last time we beat NDSU in a duel?
              I believe 2-3 years ago we beat them in Fargo - arguably with a team that shouldn't have even been on the same mat with them talent wise.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                I believe 2-3 years ago we beat them in Fargo - arguably with a team that shouldn't have even been on the same mat with them talent wise.
                I remember ol'Bucky being pretty upset about that one to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

Yep, the 09-10 season. The Bison where ahead 22-10 with the last 3 bouts left and SDSU won them all to win 23-22. The Bison were probably a better team but the Jacks came in and wrestled well and beat them. Jacks took it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                    Congrats to the Bison. They have done a nice job in the transition to DI wrestling. While it will always be difficult to match the tradition of some of the neighboring powerhouse programs like Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State, and Nebraska, I do think both SDSU and NDSU have potential to make an impact like Northern Iowa has done. Dan Gable built a dynasty matched by few collegiate programs of any sport by recruiting solid talent with outstanding work ethic and heart. While it will be difficult to match what he did at Iowa, I think you can always find some kids that can excell at this level. A couple of years ago, Tervel Dlagnev wrestled heavyweight for the University of Nebraska, Kearney - a DII school. His senior year he was not only the DII wrestler of the year, he was arguably as good as any heavy weight in DI. He was recruited out of Texas, hardly a hot bed of wrestling talent. Now he is one of the top wrestlers in the world at heavyweight.

I think SDSU is on the right track now with the excellent recruiting class this year and the addition of Ty Eustice to the coaching staff. We have some talent as displayed at the UNI Open last week. Aaron Pickerel, Dustin Walraven, and Nick Flynn have proven they compete with the power conference wrestlers. The next step of having an All-American will happen.

Thanks for the update Bison Fan!

Hey good post!!

Jacks have some talent. Their 2 best wrestlers were matched up with our 2 best guys.

But you are right. Wrestling can be a marquee sport at both schools IMO. D1 wrestling has 9.9 schollies and everyone cannot go to the Minnesotas-Iowas-Nebraskas-Ok States and so on.

Minnesota has some very good HS wrestling. Apple Valley and Simley are consistently ranked in the nation. Apple Valley won the mythical HS national championship last year. They are a wrestling factory. SD and ND also has good HS wrestling but not the same in quality and quanity. Sturgis had a kid ranked nationally and Spearfish does right now. Hopefully your coaches are talking with these kids to get them to stay "home" and wrestle for SDSU. The Gophers have in the past come and picked up kids from Bismarck, Dickinson and Fargo. I wish these guys would have stayed home and wrestled at NDSU instead of going to the Gophs and sit on the bench and not start....although I think Scott Glasser made All-American for the Gophs.....he's from Bismarck. I see Seth Lange from Sturgis and Logan Storley are on the Gophs roster....Storley is a stud....6X state champ in SD....wow! It's too bad they didn't stay and wrestle at SDSU...but then again, U of M is big time wrestling....cannot blame them, I guess.

I guess my point is that wrestling can be a huge sport at both schools. A lot of good wrestlers in the area and they all cannot go to a Big 10 or Big 12 school.

I hope the Bison beat UNI this year....we lost by 1 point last year....uuggh!

Not too many on Bisonville talk wrestling.....wrestling is awesome. Those kids bust ass and work their tails off.

Hope the Jacks have a good season.

Comment

Working...
                    X