couger71
12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Very good hire.

Evolution Prime
12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Well played USD

JackFan96
12-04-2011, 01:02 PM
That was quick. Pretty hard to believe something wasn't somehow in the works that led to how everything played out. I suspect the offense will feature more than the passes to the flats, five-yard outs and runs up the gut we saw for a season and a half until late this fall.

joeboo22
12-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Interesting. I think he was the #1 name you want if you are a USD fan, but I don't know, I wonder about hiring a coach who has been "semi" retired living in Arizona, whose last stop was at a FBS school, and stop before that was at a FCS school that has way more resources then USD ever will have. I just wonder how long a guy who has been retired whose previous stops have had way more resources then USD will want to stick it out.

I think he wanted to come back and coach and that this was the right place for him and he seems like a good guy, but IDK, personally I'm the type of guy if you have a team that is going to be rebuilding you hire a young coach that will be there for the long hall, if you had a team that was close then you hire an experienced coach. But what do I know

JackFan96
12-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, that's a (vastly) superior resume to the ones of any of coaches on our staff, so...pretty hard to be critical of the hire.

Kemo
12-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Old coach for a rebuilding program. Not the direction I would have taken it if I was the A.D. at USD, but I wouldn't say this is a bad hire either.

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

JimmyJack
12-04-2011, 01:56 PM
It'll be interesting to hear the details of his contract. Note to journalists who cover USD: Ask specifically about the money. Any story about the hiring of a six-figure state employee needs to include that information (you'd get an F in my class if you neglected to include it.) State employee salaries are not secret.

I'll do some of the contextual work for you: Glenn made $550,000 in 2008 at Wyoming (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/JoeGlenn.htm). When they fired him, they agreed to pay him $316,000 to go away (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3721657)

Stig makes $125,751; Meierkort made $100,000. Scott Nagy is the highest paid coach in the state, $150,000. AJ makes $114,358.

http://open.sd.gov

You're welcome.

zooropa
12-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I just wonder how long a guy who has been retired whose previous stops have had way more resources then USD will want to stick it out.

The guy's a USD alum, and that probably counts for a lot.

My concern is how long he's been out of circulation. I wonder how quickly he can put together a staff that will continue to recruit well, etc.

JackJD
12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I think this is a very good hire for USD.

zooropa
12-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I am fascinated by the timing of this hire.

Unless I miss my guess, Bureau of Personnel rules require that a position be held vacant and open to applicants for two weeks.

This hiring has the feel of something that was arranged in advance, to be announced as soon as possible. Unfortunately for Mick @ the Argus (and the rest of us, by extension), Gannett's rules against anonymous sources probably means he's sitting on the 'real' story of what went down, unable to publish.

Nidaros
12-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I suspect Mike Breske SDSU ALUM will be joining the staff at USD. He might have competition from his son at D coordinator.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=2666

joeboo22
12-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Nagy got a pretty nice raise. (I think he deserved it)

I was wondering about what he will be paid as well. If he is paid over $150K will someone say something?

I just found my phone and I had a few text from my friends that reside in Wyoming. They loved him at Wyoming, said he was a character, flipped off an opposing coach once, would sing with the student section. Just had 1 problem, he didn't win.

JimmyJack
12-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Not sure Bill Belichick could win at Wyoming.

I don't know what the salary will need to be, but it would be a shame if people freak out. We'll need to replace a coach or two someday, and USD could help us by conditioning people about what it costs to hire a good coach.

JackJD
12-04-2011, 02:41 PM
For those not familiar with Glenn's background, here's his Wikipedia bio (a few more adjectives than one would usually expect to find in a Wikipedia article...suggests it was written by someone pretty friendly to the subject. E.g. "distinguished career in NCAA Division 1AA and Division II) but gives a good summary of his resume and it certainly is a good resume:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Glenn_(American_football)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Glenn_(American_football))Congrats to the 'Yotes for bringing home one of their Hall of Famers.

joeboo22
12-04-2011, 02:45 PM

I don't know what the salary will need to be, but it would be a shame if people freak out. We'll need to replace a coach or two someday, and USD could help us by conditioning people about what it costs to hire a good coach.

I agree coaches need to make more, just think if its significantly more then a current coach in the state is making people will be upset.

RabbitObsessed
12-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree coaches need to make more, just think if its significantly more then a current coach in the state is making people will be upset.

Because South Dakotans are terrified of everything.

Nidaros
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I suspect he is the best on the market right now for USD, and have no clue on his salary, but with age being 62 years I think he reaches for the Aleve more often then most of us think. Just Saying, not that he could not have a winning program, I am saying if I were a Coyote Fan, I would not be expecting miracles.

goon
12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Its a name usd fans can probably get excited about. Unless there was a guys who has a better resume who applied it was probably his for the taking. Since he is usd guy he might keep a lot of the staff.

JimmyJack
12-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Because South Dakotans are terrified of everything.

I just laughed out loud at that one. Exactly true.

Prairiehaas
12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Good hire for two reasons. First, he is known and respected which should help bring fans into the dome. Second, (and I am speculating here) he is well experienced and should help to develop Beschorner to become the next head coach at USD.

yoteforever
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Good hire for two reasons. First, he is known and respected which should help bring fans into the dome. Second, (and I am speculating here) he is well experienced and should help to develop Beschorner to become the next head coach at USD.Ding ding ding.......We have a winner

Jacked_Up
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Nationwide search? Yeah, right. This hire was about as fast and as predictable as they come. I'm not saying it's a bad hire. It just isn't very creative or daring.

jacksfan29
12-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Dave Christensen has done pretty well at Wyoming. A bowl game in 2009 (first year) and an 8 win season this year should have them back in a bowl again in 2011. Glenn was a charachter at Wyoming but his schtick got old fast when he couldn't recruit or win. He had it all at Montana and at UNC he had the only "real" D2 program in the state and was able to pick up the scraps left by CSU and Wyoming. I think he's a good hire for USD but I have a feeling it is a transitional situation and I think PH is correct, pretty sure he will come in and work with Wes B who I believe will eventually take over the program. In my opinion, that would also be a good thing for USD.

JimmyJack
12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Dave Christensen has done pretty well at Wyoming. A bowl game in 2009 (first year) and an 8 win season this year should have them back in a bowl again in 2011. Glenn was a charachter at Wyoming but his schtick got old fast when he couldn't recruit or win. He had it all at Montana and at UNC he had the only "real" D2 program in the state and was able to pick up the scraps left by CSU and Wyoming. I think he's a good hire for USD but I have a feeling it is a transitional situation and I think PH is correct, pretty sure he will come in and work with Wes B who I believe will eventually take over the program. In my opinion, that would also be a good thing for USD.

Christensen is 18-19 in three years, Glenn was 30-41. Wyo is not exactly Boise State.

joeboo22
12-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't know if I'm going to say a coach is a winner or a failure because of his life at Wyoming. He did struggle there though.

I personally look at it in two ways.

1. Positive, they got the big name, a guy who has won at all sorts of levels, coached a FBS school, is an alum and has ties to the school.

2. Negative, older coach in a rebuilding situation, has been out of the game for a few years, struggled in his last job, and is a character as well.

Now I like having a character as a coach, a guy who does things like flip off the opposing coach, makes funny quotes and all those things, however after having Ed as your coach I thought they might go to a coach that is a little more conservative in that area.

JackJD
12-04-2011, 09:25 PM
...Now, I like having a character as a coach, a guy who does things like flip off the opposing coach,...

Just in case anyone does not know about the incident Joeboo is referring to, here's a summary: Glenn's Wyoming Cowboys were preparing for the 2007 trip to Salt Lake City to face Utah. On Monday of that week, Glenn was speaking at a student luncheon and he told the students that he "guaranteed" a Wyoming win on Saturday. Of course, word of the boast reached Ute Head Coach Kyle Whittingham. Utah was up 40-0 at the half that Saturday. In the third quarter, Utah couldn't punch in a touchdown so the Utes settled for a field goal, making the score 43-0. On the following kickoff, Utah attempted an on-side kick and in response, Glenn gave a middle-finger salute to his opponents on the other side of the field. It was caught on live TV.

I remember seeing the clips...thought it was pretty funny. Easy to find on the internet. Here's one site: http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007/11/wyomings-glenn-flips-off-whittingham.html
(http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007/11/wyomings-glenn-flips-off-whittingham.html)
Attempting an on-side kick when you're up 43-0...well, it seemed the Utes spent the halftime intermission mining on the shores of the Great Salt Lake a relatively short distance from campus...and they returned to rub a lot of salt in that 43-0 wound they'd inflicted on the Cowboys. If you watch the Whittingham interview, you can see and hear for yourself Whittingham thought it appropriate to hold Glenn was accountable for his words.

This Fall, Coughlin Alumni Stadium -- Stig: Holy nutmeg! Did he just flip me off?

jacksfan29
12-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Christensen is 18-19 in three years, Glenn was 30-41. Wyo is not exactly Boise State.

Nobody said they were Boise State. Of course UW is more then a glorified commuter school which is exactly what Boise is. Christensen is 8-4 this year with only one bad loss (Utah State) and they did beat Air Force. Last I checked that's a winning season and beating the Falcons is not an easy task no matter who you are. I believe your comment was that no one could win in Wyoming, Christensen has 2 winning seasons in his first 3 years. He is also a good guy who runs a clean program. People scoff at Wyoming but they do have a pretty solid past going back to their days in the WAC. The people in that very small state are very proud of their atletics and their University. Much like we are proud of SDSU.

By the way since I also keep hearing Coyote fans say that no one can win at Wyoming, can we then ask if he can win in Vermillion? I would take Laramie over Vermillion any day and I think most recruits would also.

Jacked_Up
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
So the Bird Man of Wyoming will be counted on to bring discipline to the Yotes. Tee-hee.

jackmd
12-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Good hire for two reasons. First, he is known and respected which should help bring fans into the dome. Second, (and I am speculating here) he is well experienced and should help to develop Beschorner to become the next head coach at USD.

Rep points. I think caution is appropriate however. The last "big name" they brought in (Gordy Shaw) didn't work out so well. Granted, he was an assistant and the details regarding his role and expectations are sketchy while Glenn will be the head coach and I assume calling all the shots. I have no idea who the other serious candidates were and can't really make a judgement about the quality of this hire without that knowledge.

joeboo22
12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
So the Bird Man of Wyoming will be counted on to bring discipline to the Yotes. Tee-hee.

That is what I was getting at, I have no problem hiring a coach like this, but you just fired a character and you bring in arguable a bigger character.

Nidaros
12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
That is what I was getting at, I have no problem hiring a coach like this, but you just fired a character and you bring in arguable a bigger character.

I am still skeptical of his age. I asked Coach Stig about Pat Behrns future. He said Pat was really bitter about UNO dropping footall. I followed up with a question about his interest in working as an assistant somewhere and preferablly SDSU, and Stig said Pat Behrns was 60 something, and he doubt he would be interested. I thing Glenn is going to find it tough to go up against some of the younger coaches and coaching staff.
If discipline was a Ed problem, will it end with Coach Glenn?

joeybrownerHOF
12-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a hard time making the logical leap that just because Glenn and ED are "characters" they are the same type of person. I also have the hard time making the same leap that being a "character" translates into discipline issues on your team. What I do know is Wyoming did offer Glenn a position in there athletic department after he was relieved of his HC duties.

jackmd
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I knew we discussed his firing and I remember thinking he would end up at USD back then.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?7450-Wyoming-axes-Joe-Glenn&highlight=Glenn

bigticket1
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a hard time making the logical leap that just because Glenn and ED are "characters" they are the same type of person. I also have the hard time making the same leap that being a "character" translates into discipline issues on your team. What I do know is Wyoming did offer Glenn a position in there athletic department after he was relieved of his HC duties. Since Wyoming owed him a lot of money,I'm sure they tried to get some benefit out of the situation.

joeboo22
12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I have a hard time making the logical leap that just because Glenn and ED are "characters" they are the same type of person. I also have the hard time making the same leap that being a "character" translates into discipline issues on your team. What I do know is Wyoming did offer Glenn a position in there athletic department after he was relieved of his HC duties.

I'm not saying it will, or that they are the say type of guy and will have the same discipline issues. I just thought after dealing with Ed, both the public stuff and the non public stuff, they would go in a completely different way. As far as age, there are 70 year olds that act like they are 35 in coaching and 35 year olds that act like 70 year olds. The guy has energy I'll give him that, I'm just wondering how much he is going to want to put into the program. Some times with situations like this you feel obligated to come back, but when you get back you realize you are over your head. He has been retired, living in Arizona, his last 2 gigs had WAY better facilities and funded their programs to a much higher extent then USD does. I just wonder if he has a bad year or two how long is he going to want to stay?

SF_Rabbit_Fan
12-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Is it me, or was that a strange press conference?

Also, I hope our Athletic Director knows the school song so if anyone spontaneously starts singing it he can at least mouth along.

Best of luck Coyotes.

jackrabbit1979
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Is it me, or was that a strange press conference?

Also, I hope our Athletic Director knows the school song so if anyone spontaneously starts singing it he can at least mouth along.

I thought the exact same thing about the press conference as a whole - kind of a train wreck - but full of energy if nothing else I guess.

It didn't seem anyone in the whole room knew the school song besides Joe. I can't believe he went third person at one point. Hilarious.

2002jack
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I thought the exact same thing about the press conference as a whole - kind of a train wreck.

It didn't seem anyone in the whole room knew the school song besides Joe. I can't believe he went third person at one point. Hilarious.

I am pretty sure 99% of SDSU grads don't know our school song. I know i don't. I just clap with everyone else.

SDSUAlum08
12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I am pretty sure 99% of SDSU grads don't know our school song. I know i don't. I just clap with everyone else.

True. And I don't either.

However, it's kind of like this guy not knowing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBVVw_wXXc

slosho
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Ring the for bell South Dakota We Don't know the rest of the words... (Repeat) (last verse) Ring the bell for South Dakota 'cus We Don't know the rest of the words...Let's go drink some beer!

Ring the Bells
Ring the bells for South Dakota The Yellow and the Blue
Cheer the team from South Dakota
With loyal hearts so true
Win the game for South Dakota
The school that serves us well;
We will fight for South Dakota
So let’s ring, ring, ring, those bells.

Yellow and Blue
We come from the Sioux and Missouri,
The Cheyenne and the Jim,
From pine clad peaks of the Black Hills,
Brimful for vigor and vim,
We sing the song of the prairie,
The home of the Yellow and Blue.
The gleaming gold of the corn field,
The flax of azure hue.
Oh SDSU hurrah for the Yellow and Blue;
Old SDSU all honor and glory to you;
Forever raise the gong in praise both loud and long
With loyal hears so true (so true).

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/index.aspx?sid=1108&gid=1&pgid=1822

Nidaros
12-06-2011, 04:51 AM
The guy( Joe Glenn) seems to have energy for 62 year old. He looks like he might turn things around at USD.

JimmyJack
12-06-2011, 05:28 AM
"Glenn's salary was not divulged Monday." Are you kidding me?

You either get the answer to that question or feature their stonewalling in your story. Total fail by South Dakota media. How often is a high-profile, six-figure coach hired by a public university in this state? Every coach hiring reported on ESPN includes salary. But no, not here. Even South Dakota journalists fear being seen as "impolite." Sorry for the rant, but that is Journalism 101. You cannot tell me that if an Argus reporter or editor put his foot down that USD would still have refused to "divulge" the salary. And if they did, they need to be called out for their intransigence. Second sentence of the story: "USD Athletic Director David Sayler refused to divulge Glenn's salary." Why would you say that? Because they refused to talk about the salary. That's called a fact and journalists are paid to "divulge" them. I would also argue that for the typical reader, salary is one of the most important facts about this story.

Regarding the hire itself. Looks like a good one. Glenn's enthusiasm will draw fans and should get them through any growing pains in the next couple of years. And he obviously knows how to coach.

Nidaros
12-06-2011, 07:28 AM

You either get the answer to that question or feature their stonewalling in your story. Total fail by South Dakota media. How often is a high-profile, six-figure coach hired by a public university in this state? Every coach hiring reported on ESPN includes salary. But no, not here. Even South Dakota journalists fear being seen as "impolite." Sorry for the rant, but that is Journalism 101. You cannot tell me that if an Argus reporter or editor put his foot down that USD would still have refused to "divulge" the salary. And if they did, they need to be called out for their intransigence. Second sentence of the story: "USD Athletic Director David Sayler refused to divulge Glenn's salary." Why would you say that? Because they refused to talk about the salary. That's called a fact and journalists are paid to "divulge" them. I would also argue that for the typical reader, salary is one of the most important facts about this story.

Regarding the hire itself. Looks like a good one. Glenn's enthusiasm will draw fans and should get them through any growing pains in the next couple of years. And he obviously knows how to coach.

My guess is that it's in the 150k range, and maybe some incentives built in. After all he was talking about giving back to his alma mater and the state who he owed much. I dont think he will be getting real big bucks, and no where near Craig Bohl a non-alum who is supposely getting 325k. The Howling Pack is going to have to catch up with the Teamakers in order to pay that kind of money for a coach. I agree, the media did not pursue this question very well.

JimmyJack
12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
My guess is that it's in the 150k range, and maybe some incentives built in. After all he was talking about giving back to his alma mater and the state who he owed much. I dont think he will be getting real big bucks, and no where near Craig Bohl a non-alum who is supposely getting 325k. The Howling Pack is going to have to catch up with the Teamakers in order to pay that kind of money for a coach. I agree, the media did not pursue this question very well.

That would be fair. He's probably worth even more. No, it's not the amount that grinds my gears. It's the fact that reporters didn't push for that information. Normally, I stick to my research on my blog (http://fbihistorian.org). But here's a blog post I wrote this morning on the subject:

http://fbihistorian.org/post/13825277461/journalism-101-demand-public-salary-information

jackmd
12-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Please refer to my previous posts regarding certain sportswriters in the Yankton area. Breaking a story (especially one this predictable) is not as important as reporting on the hard facts. Salary, benefits, others who were interviewed or considered for the position are a few facts I'd like to know. Was there due process or was this an inside job? It's a state institution and these should be open to public review.

Nidaros
12-06-2011, 09:06 AM
That would be fair. He's probably worth even more. No, it's not the amount that grinds my gears. It's the fact that reporters didn't push for that information. Normally, I stick to my research on my blog (http://fbihistorian.org). But here's a blog post I wrote this morning on the subject:

http://fbihistorian.org/post/13825277461/journalism-101-demand-public-salary-information

Good points. Thanks for sharing your blogspot. With the fragile budgets at USD and SDSU both, I do not seem much movement towards multi year contracts. Glenn is doing this out of loyality and supplementing his retirement pay. We do need to know what Glenn is receiving though as it will no doubt impact future negiotations for our coaches as well. I would be interested to know what his settlement with Wyoming was in total dollars. Apparently its enought to live on. I heard stories in the Fargo area about Don Morton and his settlement after being released by Wisconsin. He got a pretty comfortable settlement.

HadleyCoyote
12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
...others who were interviewed or considered for the position are a few facts I'd like to know.

I have to think we may never know this. Although we may be curious about it, we might not want to know. Revealing this information could damage those coaches relationships in the jobs they currently hold. Further, if a precedent is set where this information is revealed to the public, it may cause future applicants to think twice about applying for coaching jobs at our universities.

jackmd
12-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I have to think we may never know this. Although we may be curious about it, we might not want to know. Revealing this information could damage those coaches relationships in the jobs they currently hold. Further, if a precedent is set where this information is revealed to the public, it may cause future applicants to think twice about applying for coaching jobs at our universities.

This is a consideration whenever a position opens up. My own opinion, if your employed by someone who is going to prevent you from pursuing a positions you desire your in a bad position right now. You are right, I'm more curious than I am furious.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
12-06-2011, 09:37 AM

You are correct, I don't know it either. I didn't mean it to be as critical as it came off, just one example of how the press conference was awkward.

JimmyJack
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Please refer to my previous posts regarding certain sportswriters in the Yankton area. Breaking a story (especially one this predictable) is not as important as reporting on the hard facts. Salary, benefits, others who were interviewed or considered for the position are a few facts I'd like to know. Was there due process or was this an inside job? It's a state institution and these should be open to public review.

Agreed. At least Jeremy mentioned salary as a key issue to be explored and even offered some contextual information (Meierkort's salary). We didn't get that from others.

bigticket1
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I have to think we may never know this. Although we may be curious about it, we might not want to know. Revealing this information could damage those coaches relationships in the jobs they currently hold. Further, if a precedent is set where this information is revealed to the public, it may cause future applicants to think twice about applying for coaching jobs at our universities. This is why most major universities go through "head-hunter" search firms to find candidates. That way the school can deny contacting coaches to check on interest,and vice versa.

Prairiehaas
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
This is a consideration whenever a position opens up. My own opinion, if your employed by someone who is going to prevent you from pursuing a positions you desire your in a bad position right now. You are right, I'm more curious than I am furious.

Very true and something for the younger people to keep in mind.

goon
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
intransigence.

I learned something today.

joeboo22
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Do they have to file the contract somewhere? My guess is they would like this contract to be kept under raps until the state at least proposes a budget. I know its different but to think that the state wouldn't be more inclined to give fewer dollars to the colleges if they found out the new coach is making X% more then the previous one is insane.

I know contracts are year to year, and since we are in the fiscal year he won't have to be reported until next year, but I find it hard to believe that its not available somewhere before hand.

JimmyJack
12-06-2011, 06:06 PM
State fiscal years run from July 1 to June 30. I can't imagine that he won't start working before July 1, 2012. His salary is our business the minute he starts working. New professors start in August and they go onto the state open records Web site that same month.

Here's how this works:

Reporter: What are the terms of USD's agreement with Joe Glenn? When does he start working? How much is he being paid? Are there sources of income for him other than his base salary? What are they? What is his total annual compensation?

This is not difficult. If USD won't agree to "divulge" that information, that should become the story. If they're smart, they'll just say what it is and get on with things.

MaddogJack
12-06-2011, 10:23 PM
This is not difficult. If USD won't agree to "divulge" that information, that should become the story. If they're smart, they'll just say what it is and get on with things.

Everything that has been offered about the hiring of Coach Glenn, in my opinion, is nothing more than a press release on behalf of the University. SOFTBALLS (slowpitch, at that)

I'm sure that the hard hitting Argus Sports Editor will be all over this, as it is the Argus that was all over Governor Rounds about full disclosure and transparency of everyone that ever used the public toilets at the Capitol in Pierre.

It's a nice hire for the U, but we should know the details.

JimmyJack
12-07-2011, 06:41 AM
No news today on the salary. South Dakota media fail, day 2. Ask the question, report the answer (or non-answer.) Simple as that.

Jacked_Up
12-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Does anyone else think Coach Glenn sounds like a slightly older version of Tim Brewster, the former U of M hype-meister? Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially from an SDSU perspective.

Nidaros
12-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Does anyone else think Coach Glenn sounds like a slightly older version of Tim Brewster, the former U of M hype-meister? Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially from an SDSU perspective.

I would generally equate Tim Brewster with failure such as being HC at Minnesota, but I am not so quick to put this on Joe Glenn. The peter prinicple may have gotten him at Wyoming, but that may not define the rest of his coaching career. He might do very well at the FCS level which he did do at Montana. Too early to tell.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I played against his teams in the '90's. His UNC teams were always one of the best coached teams in the conference. They also had a ton of talent thanks to transfers from the Colorado schools (back when the buffs and CSU were actually good teams), but they were also extremely well coached. Good hire for USD.

joeboo22
12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I played against his teams in the '90's. His UNC teams were always one of the best coached teams in the conference. They also had a ton of talent thanks to transfers from the Colorado schools (back when the buffs and CSU were actually good teams), but they were also extremely well coached. Good hire for USD.

I have a few friends from Greeley and they say there was reasons he had good teams at UNC. The fact was UNC got all the rejects from CU and CSU, he took on everyone. Transfers, flunk outs, off the field issues any type of issue like that and he was on them. Said that when they went D-I it caught up with the school, when you go D-I you can't do all of that. Plus UNC funded towards the high at D-II but was much lower when they went D-I.

I don't think coaching is the issue with Glenn I think its whether or not he can get the recruits on the field. You look at him and you see a coach who has won at places but never stayed very long. He is 62 and came out of retirement. The question will be can he recruit. Have his hot spots dried up? My friends from Wyoming said he flat out could not recruit at Wyoming. He hit up JuCo's and tried a few areas but couldn't recruit especially on offense. He is going into a place where many players liked their former coach, which I'm guessing will lead to a few transfers, on top of a senior heavy team. Probably some new coaches, I saw somewhere that a University of Mary coach is expected to join him. Add in that any FCS recruit is going to say, hey he ain't staying long against him and you wonder how well he will be able to recruit. Montana has WAY more resources when it comes to recruiting then USD every will have.

CatchEmAll
12-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Bottom line is this is a good hire for USD. 1. They get an alum. 2. They get a guy who can show of his National Championship rings. 3. He'll put together a quality staff because he's a respected coach and guys that work with him know they'll be in a good situation and have good move on potential.

I would speculate that assuming Wes is kept on board, and according to other's thoughts, in a year or two he's named Associate Head Coach and after three seasons Glenn retires to pave the way for Wes to take over. That way Wes doesn't have to deal with whatever's being left behind directly, but at the same time he can develop his credibility to take over.

I wonder if Mike Breske is still available.....

Nidaros
12-08-2011, 06:57 AM
I wonder if Mike Breske is still available..... His son Adam is already on the USD staff as co defensive cooridnator. I tend to think Mike might just stay put in Montana. He is 50 something and no doubt needs to be putting funds away for retirement. If the admin at USD gives a bump in salaries, I would expect him to find Mike wearing red very soon. My question is will USD tolerate his mouth tobacco?

JimmyJack
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Not to sound like a broken record... but nothing on salary. Go park your butt outside of Sayler's office and ask when you see him. (And to think, I used to be annoyed when my editors would tell me stuff like that.)

Jacks#1Fan
12-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Ring the for bell South Dakota We Don't know the rest of the words... (Repeat) (last verse) Ring the bell for South Dakota 'cus We Don't know the rest of the words...Let's go drink some beer!

Ring the Bells
Ring the bells for South Dakota The Yellow and the Blue
Cheer the team from South Dakota
With loyal hearts so true
Win the game for South Dakota
The school that serves us well;
We will fight for South Dakota
So let’s ring, ring, ring, those bells.

Yellow and Blue
We come from the Sioux and Missouri,
The Cheyenne and the Jim,
From pine clad peaks of the Black Hills,
Brimful of vigor and vim,
We sing the song of the prairie,
The home of the Yellow and Blue.
The gleaming gold of the corn field,
The flax of azure hue.
Oh SDSU hurrah for the Yellow and Blue;
Old SDSU all honor and glory to you;
Forever raise the song in praise both loud and long
With loyal hearts so true (so true).

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/index.aspx?sid=1108&gid=1&pgid=1822

Fixed it for you...and will let the Alumni Association know about it as well.

slosho
12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I too thought those words were incorrect...

goon
12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I too thought those words were incorrect...
No, I am pretty sure its suppose to be raise the gong........yes I am just kidding.

joeboo22
12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Jermey Hoeck of the PRess & Dakota is reporting he will make $126K which is pretty close to Stig..... I'm surprised thought he would be $150K+

JimmyJack
12-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Jermey Hoeck of the PRess & Dakota is reporting he will make $126K which is pretty close to Stig..... I'm surprised thought he would be $150K+

Kudos to Jeremy. I know he has been working on it and just hasn't been able to connect with David Sayler. When he did connect with Sayler, Jeremy got the answer. Good job.

USD should have been trumpeting that very reasonable salary the day Glenn was hired. Provides real proof for the narrative here that he's coming back to his alma mater out of loyalty and to give something back. He made $550k at Wyo, so clearly he is at USD because he wants to contribute. Good for him.

USD is getting a bargain. Just as SDSU is with Stig and all of our coaches.

bigticket1
12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Just read the Argus USD live chat from earlier today and Mick also had the salary figure. After reading through that,I am very glad that TV is the beat writer for the Jacks.

jackmd
12-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Glenn interview with Warren Swain at half of mens bb game tonight. Said he told them no twice. Convinced him to be a "mentor" to the future coach. Very excited to meet the team and evaluate talent. D will be the focus, with changes expected there. Not expecting a long term gig.

JimmyJack
12-09-2011, 07:49 AM
I think it's smart to get somebody like Glenn to mentor Beschorner who, by all accounts, has great potential to become a head coach. They get a really appealing and enthusiastic guy to boot, and without breaking the bank. Sayler did well here.

SDSUAlum08
12-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Glenn interview with Warren Swain at half of mens bb game tonight. Said he told them no twice. Convinced him to be a "mentor" to the future coach. Very excited to meet the team and evaluate talent. D will be the focus, with changes expected there. Not expecting a long term gig.

This is exactly what I thought was going to happen when he got hired and then a buddy of mine, who follows USD football, said that he must be there to groom Wes Beschorner. Did he say he wasn't expecting a long time gig? I think it's pretty well understood that he won't be there long, but I can't see that helping recruiting if he's saying that.

yoteforever
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
This is exactly what I thought was going to happen when he got hired and then a buddy of mine, who follows USD football, said that he must be there to groom Wes Beschorner. Did he say he wasn't expecting a long time gig? I think it's pretty well understood that he won't be there long, but I can't see that helping recruiting if he's saying that.I do think the hire of Joe Glenn is a very good for the new AD. It is certainly a safe one, and none that makes a ton of sense. I know Joe personally and this guy bleeds Coyote red. His experience and knowledge will be good tools in grooming Wes for the next coach when that happens. What I dispute is Jackmds comment it is a short term gig. I know that Joe plans on being there 5-7 years depending on how he feels. He has come home, and he is excited as heck.Grooming Wesley makes a ton of sense. He is a very nice young man, I think will prove out to be an effective coordinator, and I believe has all the attributes to head this program someday. A lot of that decision making will be made after Joes tenure and if he thinks Wes is ready or not. Both Joe and Wes are die hard Coyotes.I really appreciate what Meierkort did for USD, but a decision was made to change, and I accept that decision. That doesn't mean I like it, but if Sayler believes it is what is best for USD, then so be it. Hiring Glenn took the edge off some nervous Meierkort supporters.

KUlawJack
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I do think the hire of Joe Glenn is a very good for the new AD. It is certainly a safe one, and none that makes a ton of sense. I know Joe personally and this guy bleeds Coyote red. His experience and knowledge will be good tools in grooming Wes for the next coach when that happens. What I dispute is Jackmds comment it is a short term gig. I know that Joe plans on being there 5-7 years depending on how he feels. He has come home, and he is excited as heck.Grooming Wesley makes a ton of sense. He is a very nice young man, I think will prove out to be an effective coordinator, and I believe has all the attributes to head this program someday. A lot of that decision making will be made after Joes tenure and if he thinks Wes is ready or not. Both Joe and Wes are die hard Coyotes.I really appreciate what Meierkort did for USD, but a decision was made to change, and I accept that decision. That doesn't mean I like it, but if Sayler believes it is what is best for USD, then so be it. Hiring Glenn took the edge off some nervous Meierkort supporters.

The way I read JackMD's statement, Glenn was the one who said he was not expeceting a long term gig. Maybe I read it wrong, but it seems that is what he told Warren Swain.

jackmd
12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
The way I read JackMD's statement, Glenn was the one who said he was not expeceting a long term gig. Maybe I read it wrong, but it seems that is what he told Warren Swain.

I was typing on an IPad so I was trying to be succinct. I think it came out contrite and that was not intended. Coach Glenn made it clear that he was initially not interested in the head coaching position. He told Warren that he said no twice. Then, he reconsidered the significant role he could play in mentoring Wes and helping USD (he loves the place, no doubt about that). He didn't say "short term gig" those were my written words. He didn't give an exact timeline but my impression was more like 3-5 years, again just my impression. If Coach Glenn told YF 5-7 years and he hasn't changed his mind then its 5-7 years.

KUlawJack
12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I was typing on an IPad so I was trying to be succinct. I think it came out contrite and that was not intended. Coach Glenn made it clear that he was initially not interested in the head coaching position. He told Warren that he said no twice. Then, he reconsidered the significant role he could play in mentoring Wes and helping USD (he loves the place, no doubt about that). He didn't say "short term gig" those were my written words. He didn't give an exact timeline but my impression was more like 3-5 years, again just my impression. If Coach Glenn told YF 5-7 years and he hasn't changed his mind then its 5-7 years.

You and your fancy Ipad.

Also, thanks for clarifying.

yoteforever
12-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I was typing on an IPad so I was trying to be succinct. I think it came out contrite and that was not intended. Coach Glenn made it clear that he was initially not interested in the head coaching position. He told Warren that he said no twice. Then, he reconsidered the significant role he could play in mentoring Wes and helping USD (he loves the place, no doubt about that). He didn't say "short term gig" those were my written words. He didn't give an exact timeline but my impression was more like 3-5 years, again just my impression. If Coach Glenn told YF 5-7 years and he hasn't changed his mind then its 5-7 years. For what it was worth, I wasn't attacking JackMd or anything he said. I was just filling in the blanks as I understand it.

joeboo22
12-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm not saying it won't work, but I've heard the coach in waiting, groom a head coach act before and more times then not it doesn't work out that way. I don't know Wes, but does he want to be an assistant for another 5-7 years? If a head job comes up that at the same time is a salary increase would he leave for it?

KUlawJack
12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
On another note, did anyone read Stu's blog entry on this subject? Made me lol. He's something to say the least. Has to mix in as many shots at SDSU as he can, subject of the actual blog entry be damned.

jack power
12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
On another note, did anyone read Stu's blog entry on this subject? Made me lol. He's something to say the least. Has to mix in as many shots at SDSU as he can, subject of the actual blog entry be damned.
Yeah,i got a chuckle out of it. Stu could do a piece on the war in Afghanistan and stick some jabs at SDSU in it.

GopherHole
08-16-2012, 01:50 PM
The Lincoln Journal Star did a feature story (http://journalstar.com/sports/local/college/football/glenn-back-in-the-saddle-at-south-dakota/article_538360cc-12c1-523e-b509-5fdad206d1b8.html)on "Cowboy Joe's" return to college football. It was interesting and has obviously stirred up more excitment than just in Vermillion. I really found it interesting that he is looking at incorporating some option into their offense.

“I spent some time with Tom Osborne, reviewing the option, and spent time with other coaches on the trap option to go with our offense,” Glenn said. “We killed our defense in spring ball."

"Cowboy Joe" even believes they could be competitive at the FBS level. Outside of their fine showing against the Gophers a couple of years ago, that is a pretty bold statement.

“The thing is, we’re going to have guys who get it, you want to get in the ring, touch gloves and fight all game long,” Glenn said. “No matter who we play, we have scholarships, too. We have good players and we could compete at the FBS level anywhere and maybe surprise a few others.”

rabidrabbit
08-16-2012, 02:46 PM
The Lincoln Journal Star did a feature story (http://journalstar.com/sports/local/college/football/glenn-back-in-the-saddle-at-south-dakota/article_538360cc-12c1-523e-b509-5fdad206d1b8.html)on "Cowboy Joe's" return to college football. It was interesting and has obviously stirred up more excitment than just in Vermillion. I really found it interesting that he is looking at incorporating some option into their offense.

“I spent some time with Tom Osborne, reviewing the option, and spent time with other coaches on the trap option to go with our offense,” Glenn said. “We killed our defense in spring ball."

"Cowboy Joe" even believes they could be competitive at the FBS level. Outside of their fine showing against the Gophers a couple of years ago, that is a pretty bold statement.

“The thing is, we’re going to have guys who get it, you want to get in the ring, touch gloves and fight all game long,” Glenn said. “No matter who we play, we have scholarships, too. We have good players and we could compete at the FBS level anywhere and maybe surprise a few others.”

They may be tough competition for the perannuals to the Bottom Ten teams, New Mexico, New Mexico St, FIU, FAU. Sunbelt and MAC bottom feeders haven't faired well vs upper FCS teams.

bigticket1
08-16-2012, 04:42 PM

“The thing is, we’re going to have guys who get it, you want to get in the ring, touch gloves and fight all game long,” Glenn said. “No matter who we play, we have scholarships, too. We have good players and we could compete at the FBS level anywhere and maybe surprise a few others.” Good to see that they are still making red kool-aid in Vermillion.

hareball
08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Am guessing this was an error by the Lincoln Journal Star and was supposed to be FCS. FCS makes more sense when read in context with the rest of the sentence. Joe drinks the same red kool-aid that I do, but he is also a realist.

West-River_Jack
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
A friend who happens to be a University of Wyoming Alum asked me today if I know how they are liking Joe Glenn at USD. I said that I thought they were thinking of him as the savior for their football program. Replied my friend, "We thought that too!" Time will tell.

jackmd
08-17-2012, 10:57 AM
I heard a clip on WNAX this AM, Coach Glenn seemed very realistic. Camp is going well and they are excited to play their first real game. He stated that he had no expectations except to compete each week and try to get a W. The same 1 week at a time mentality Stig preaches.