• Show
Clear All

• USD - Joe Glenn

Very good hire.

Re: USD - Joe Glenn

Well played USD

Comment

That was quick. Pretty hard to believe something wasn't somehow in the works that led to how everything played out. I suspect the offense will feature more than the passes to the flats, five-yard outs and runs up the gut we saw for a season and a half until late this fall.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Interesting. I think he was the #1 name you want if you are a USD fan, but I don't know, I wonder about hiring a coach who has been "semi" retired living in Arizona, whose last stop was at a FBS school, and stop before that was at a FCS school that has way more resources then USD ever will have. I just wonder how long a guy who has been retired whose previous stops have had way more resources then USD will want to stick it out.

I think he wanted to come back and coach and that this was the right place for him and he seems like a good guy, but IDK, personally I'm the type of guy if you have a team that is going to be rebuilding you hire a young coach that will be there for the long hall, if you had a team that was close then you hire an experienced coach. But what do I know

Comment

Well, that's a (vastly) superior resume to the ones of any of coaches on our staff, so...pretty hard to be critical of the hire.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Old coach for a rebuilding program. Not the direction I would have taken it if I was the A.D. at USD, but I wouldn't say this is a bad hire either.

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

It'll be interesting to hear the details of his contract. Note to journalists who cover USD: Ask specifically about the money. Any story about the hiring of a six-figure state employee needs to include that information (you'd get an F in my class if you neglected to include it.) State employee salaries are not secret.

I'll do some of the contextual work for you: Glenn made $550,000 in 2008 at Wyoming (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/JoeGlenn.htm). When they fired him, they agreed to pay him $316,000 to go away (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3721657)

Stig makes $125,751; Meierkort made $100,000. Scott Nagy is the highest paid coach in the state, $150,000. AJ makes $114,358.

http://open.sd.gov

You're welcome.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                I just wonder how long a guy who has been retired whose previous stops have had way more resources then USD will want to stick it out.
                The guy's a USD alum, and that probably counts for a lot.

My concern is how long he's been out of circulation. I wonder how quickly he can put together a staff that will continue to recruit well, etc.

Comment

I think this is a very good hire for USD.

Comment

I am fascinated by the timing of this hire.

Unless I miss my guess, Bureau of Personnel rules require that a position be held vacant and open to applicants for two weeks.

This hiring has the feel of something that was arranged in advance, to be announced as soon as possible. Unfortunately for Mick @ the Argus (and the rest of us, by extension), Gannett's rules against anonymous sources probably means he's sitting on the 'real' story of what went down, unable to publish.

Comment

I suspect Mike Breske SDSU ALUM will be joining the staff at USD. He might have competition from his son at D coordinator.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/foo...PLAYER_ID=2666

Comment

Nagy got a pretty nice raise. (I think he deserved it)

I was wondering about what he will be paid as well. If he is paid over $150K will someone say something?

I just found my phone and I had a few text from my friends that reside in Wyoming. They loved him at Wyoming, said he was a character, flipped off an opposing coach once, would sing with the student section. Just had 1 problem, he didn't win.

Comment

Not sure Bill Belichick could win at Wyoming.

I don't know what the salary will need to be, but it would be a shame if people freak out. We'll need to replace a coach or two someday, and USD could help us by conditioning people about what it costs to hire a good coach.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

For those not familiar with Glenn's background, here's his Wikipedia bio (a few more adjectives than one would usually expect to find in a Wikipedia article...suggests it was written by someone pretty friendly to the subject. E.g. "distinguished career in NCAA Division 1AA and Division II) but gives a good summary of his resume and it certainly is a good resume:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Glenn_(American_football)

Congrats to the 'Yotes for bringing home one of their Hall of Famers.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Not sure Bill Belichick could win at Wyoming.

I don't know what the salary will need to be, but it would be a shame if people freak out. We'll need to replace a coach or two someday, and USD could help us by conditioning people about what it costs to hire a good coach.
                              I agree coaches need to make more, just think if its significantly more then a current coach in the state is making people will be upset.

Comment

Working...
                              X