• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

not renewed.
    Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Re: USD Coach contract.....

Oof. Did not see that coming. Is this your classic "need to take the program in a new direction" thing?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Meierkort out at USD

Meierkort's contract was not renewed by USD.

http://www.keloland.com/sports/NewsD...wed/?Id=123962

Comment

I have no idea. I liked Ed. Yes, he had some shortcomings and the team failed to live up to expectations the last few years. However, he was a heck of a recruiter. I think, like all USD coaches, and probably the same with SDSU, he struggled because of budgets. His staff was very very young, aka cheap. I am on the fence on this decision. He did have much greater success than previous USD coaches. Some of that was scheduling.
        Southern Pecan

Comment

Re: Meierkort out at USD

I'm guessing he didn't jive too well with the new AD.

I know they haven't been able to win on the road and choked the conference championship but USD probably will have the smallest budget in the MVC next year and was fairly respectable team based on that.

Any suggestions of local coaches that USD might look at?

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
            I have no idea. I liked Ed. Yes, he had some shortcomings and the team failed to live up to expectations the last few years. However, he was a heck of a recruiter. I think, like all USD coaches, and probably the same with SDSU, he struggled because of budgets. His staff was very very young, aka cheap. I am on the fence on this decision. He did have much greater success than previous USD coaches. Some of that was scheduling.
            My impression of him was that he was a decent football coach, all rivalry nonsense aside. My basic reaction is that it's a shame he didn't get a couple of years to see what he could do in the MVFC.

I saw that the Coyotes are losing 12 starters from this year to next year. 2012 is setting up to be a pretty uncomfortable year for football in Vermillion unless they can bring in a walk-on-water type coach.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              Any suggestions of local coaches that USD might look at?
              Would Kalen Deboer look at coming back to SD?

Comment

This might seem odd but I would like to see Glenn Caruso. Honeslty, I don't think he would leave UST (division III) for USD. The guy is a flat out stud as a head coach.
                Southern Pecan

Comment

Re: USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The Coyotes couldn't win on the road and the new AD wants his own guy. But seriously, how far does this set your program back as you move into the MVFC? I'm sure a lot of USD fans will be happy. But now, just as they leave transition, they're staring down the barrel of another kind of transition.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The Coyotes couldn't win on the road and the new AD wants his own guy. But seriously, how far does this set your program back as you move into the MVFC? I'm sure a lot of USD fans will be happy. But now, just as they leave transition, they're staring down the barrel of another kind of transition.

Agreed. With the losses due to graduation, expected transfers, loss of time recruiting, move to power conference in MVFC, etc. it could be very brutal for the next few years. That is why I am indifferent. If I had my druthers he would have been forced to hire some veteran coordinators. Again, that would mean money. On the flip side, maybe this move with the move to the MVFC will get some major support from fans both financially and interest and propel the program forward in the long term with some short term headaches. Who knows
                    Southern Pecan

Comment

I'm really surprised by this.

Yes, they had struggles, particularly on the road, but as said above the guy recruited well and did a pretty good job.

Weird that they'd string him along through the transition, and then axe him when they are ready to start in the MVFC.

Comment

AD just said on KELO that there were some academic and discipline issues that he wasn't comfortable with.

Comment

Wow, from a jackrabbit fan this is great news. Ed was starting to make their program respectable. They were mediocre at best before he arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            AD just said on KELO that there were some academic and discipline issues that he wasn't comfortable with.
                            Well, I guess we can't speak to the truth of that since we have no clue. It seems plausible since USD is out of transition next year. One would assume that based upon Ed's loyalty, if there weren't other off-field issues, they'd let him have at least a shot of playing for the playoffs in a power conference rather than canning him and starting over. But all I'm doing is assuming, we as outsiders never find out the real details.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                              Originally posted by mitchell
                              I'm guessing he didn't jive too well with the new AD.

I think these quotes sound about right. If Sayler and Ed weren't getting along, then so be it. But to fire a guy right after going through the transition is something I personally don't agree with. In that case, Nagy should have been fired. SDSU basketball would have been set back a few years then and I expect football to be the same for USD.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X