Reminscing about seasons past.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminscing about seasons past.

All this reminiscing about past schedules (in the Big Win for USD smack thread) made me go back through every year until the 2003-2004 season...when I moved back to Brookings and starting coming to games again.....I realized I really don't remember very many beyond the 05 season. I didn't start REALLY paying attention and make SDSU Football a must be at event until the 06-07 season. I've only missed 1 game since then, YSU in 08-09.

I remember Valpo in 05, thinking they would have a decent FB squad because they have a decent BB squad, and being so impressed at the drubbing we handed them, until I realized they were non-scholly, and I remember UC-Davis in Sioux Falls....I'll never go to a game at Howard Wood again, thank you very much. Those were the only 2 games I went to that year.

In 04-05 I only went to the NDSU game.

In 03-04 I only went to the NW Missouri State game, because a buddy of mine was a trainer for them at the time.

Share your reminscing stories.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: Reminscing about seasons past.

1993 - for those that remember, possibly one of the most talented offensive teams in the past 20 years (or beyond). Season started real rough (the Montana game that has since been usurped by the more recent Montana playoff loss), but ended with victories over NDSU (snapping a 17 year losing streak), Mankato (the drubbing that took place) and UND (nice final victory for that senior class). Those three teams were all ranked in the DII top 5 at the time of our wins. As a player, I honestly believed if we had been given a playoff shot we would have run the table. We were playing that good at the end of the year. Read VJ Smith's Jackrabbit Tales to get his take on that squad and season.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I guess I just think about how for several years how exciting it was to watch berry. I loved him as a qb. And those teams with batten and rogers could lay a hit on anyone when our defense was solid. That's what I like to think that is good as berry was. Sumner can rewrite the record books now. If our D can step up like it did the last game of the year watch out. Just hope it doesn't take us 4 games to figure out that we can play good football.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        1993 - for those that remember, possibly one of the most talented offensive teams in the past 20 years (or beyond). Season started real rough (the Montana game that has since been usurped by the more recent Montana playoff loss), but ended with victories over NDSU (snapping a 17 year losing streak), Mankato (the drubbing that took place) and UND (nice final victory for that senior class). Those three teams were all ranked in the DII top 5 at the time of our wins. As a player, I honestly believed if we had been given a playoff shot we would have run the table. We were playing that good at the end of the year. Read VJ Smith's Jackrabbit Tales to get his take on that squad and season.
        My Junior year, I remember it well. Was listening to the Montana game on the radio and turned it off after 3 quarters figuring we had it won. Remember the NDSU and UND games well. Must admit that I prefer not to remember the USD game that year. 91, 92, and 94 were more memorable vs the yotes.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Much of my college years were a blur but IIRC the 89 Hobo Day game was pretty memorable for the lightning cancellation and continuation the next day.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

My first rabbit game was hobo day 1975 vs USD. I was actually an SDSU fan but because i lived only 7 miles from Vermillion my parents wanted me to go to USD. So i was a freshman USD student, cheering for State. SDSU kicked a late FG to break a 7 game losing streak against the yotes(i think it was 7). I believe at the time it was also the biggest crowd to watch a football game in south dakota. Dont remember the numbers though. On a bright note, i quit after the first semester and worked for a couple years before going to Mitchell Tech.

More recently, i think the most exciting game had to have been the 2009 Hobo Day game against McNeese St.

Comment

One of the first games I remember clearly was in 1972. I was 7 and the Jacks beat Eastern Montana 73-0 at CAS. What do I remember about the game? Not much. The score on the old incandescent light scoreboard comes to mind, along with the sky blue SDSU jerseys. I attended pretty much every home game from 1970 to 1989, then missed every game from 1990 to 2004 before moving back go Brookings in 2005. I have missed one home game (ISU-Red Blizzard Bowl because I was sick) in the last six years. Lots of great memories.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

There was a late season game against UND in the late '80s I believe. It had snowed a few inches the night before and was COLD. When we arrived at CAS we had to push snow off the seating. But with what seemed like only a few hundred fans at the game good seats were easy to get. State won handily that day and without the Pride attending we did best we could with the school songs after each score. What we lacked in musical skill we made up for in enthusiam, with the help of a little Jagermeister. Football is always best enjoyed outside in the elements.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Tons of great memories as a player, but I think the game that stands out to me as the oddest was Youngstown State on the road my senior year. Me and five other guys on the team got deathly sick and actually (by sheer coincidence) ran into each Tuesday night in the ER and had rooms right next to each other. None of us practiced all week and I actually lost 15 pounds (!) before the game. On the airplane I sat with Coaches Meadows and Moore and went over the offensive package and the only looks I saw of their defense the whole week was on the Friday walk thru and Saturday morning (not counting film). Played that game and graded out the highest I did all year and had the most plays of any game. My fellow hospital mates had a total of over 10 catches, and at least 2 td's. I also had to sprint back to the locker room in the 2nd quarter to take care of lingering sickness issues. Lol, we were such a mess, it was awesome.

McNeese my junior year when we were warming up and stretching our hip flexors (kneeling with one hand in the air and twisting) when some redneck from the stands yells "Raise your hand if you're a MO-RON!!". Every single guy on the team started cracking up. Oh yea, Kardoes broke his jaw in the first half and came back from the hospital to win the game. No big deal.

My first game ever against Wiconsin-Lacrosse (Year before that game which we shall not mention). I had a moment of clarity on my first play when I realized how lucky I was to be getting to play division 1 football as a 19 year old kid. What an opportunity.

I can go on and on...

Comment

Another funny memory from every year: On every plane flight, everyone referred questions to me about the flight (I was an Aviation Eduation major). I earned a Masters degree in Bullsh*t with alot of the answers I gave. Especially loved saying "Man, we're going really fast for how low we are" and watching alot of first time fliers start sucking up seat cushion!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      My Junior year, I remember it well. Was listening to the Montana game on the radio and turned it off after 3 quarters figuring we had it won. Remember the NDSU and UND games well. Must admit that I prefer not to remember the USD game that year. 91, 92, and 94 were more memorable vs the yotes.
                      The USD loss was killer that year. I recall that was prior to the what I have been told are "improvements" at the dome and the place stunk like a toilet. I haven't been back and never intend to go there again.

That was a seriously fun team to watch, I would agree with the earlier comment, if that team had gotten a shot at the playoffs they may have run the table. The final win against a very good UND team, who I believe did go on to the playoffs was one of domination. Even though the final was only 20-0, or something of the sort SDSU controlled the game from start to finish. I remember the press conference after the game in the old trailer and UND were at a total loss in how to explain what had happened.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        The USD loss was killer that year. I recall that was prior to the what I have been told are "improvements" at the dome and the place stunk like a toilet. I haven't been back and never intend to go there again.

That was a seriously fun team to watch, I would agree with the earlier comment, if that team had gotten a shot at the playoffs they may have run the table. The final win against a very good UND team, who I believe did go on to the playoffs was one of domination. Even though the final was only 20-0, or something of the sort SDSU controlled the game from start to finish. I remember the press conference after the game in the old trailer and UND were at a total loss in how to explain what had happened.
                        I share the memories of 1993, in fact when Jack29 mentioned the USD game I drew a blank as a fan I nearly watched everygame that season. So pulled up the media guide and here are the scores:

WE
                        48 @Montana 52
                        56 Southwest State 12
                        21 St. Cloud State 30
                        17 @Northern Colorado38
                        30 @Morningside 20
                        42 North Dakota State 30
                        50 Nebraska-Omaha 10
                        7 @South Dakota 29
                        35 Augustana 25
                        60 @Mankato State 42
                        28 North Dakota 0

I drove out to Montana that year to see that game. Its not surprising the Coach Stig has mentioned that game more than once. It was replayed when we met Montana in the playoffs two years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X