Prognosticating for next season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prognosticating for next season.

I know the season is not over yet as I start this topic. But I figure as the game ends we will have plenty of discussion turn to next year. What are we going to take out of the year, what do we lose, what will we gain?

Frankly on offense we need Zenner to stay as starting back and get some depth behind him, Winterboer or Gandy IMO will likely be able too. Which we had more experience to play there. I think move Kool to a hybrid kind of player. Use him and run the flash/wildcat, and as a WR to use his speed. QB should be great with Sumner getting experience this year and spring and fall camp to prepare. Sounds like Kline could even give him a run for his money. Losing Moss will hurt but we are deep at WR so I am not too concerned there. Frankly the only thing on offense that I want to see beside play calling or variety of play calls is to see a better O-line. We have what should be a lot of good lineman, but for some reason we are not gelling. When we lose 1 great lineman from last year, I don’t see how they were so much worse this year. Just look at the poor run numbers and sacks given up. It’s been a head scratcher to me for sure.

Big questions for this team will be Defense. We lose some good linebackers a few linemen, and some secondary. Frankly that concerns me. We did not have much depth on D this year so losing a lot of starters on a D that struggling gets me a little worried. Hopefully the players are ready to step up next year. D-line, if we play Mink and Douglas in the middle that is ok, but the Ends are a question mark. Peete or Hettinger maybe take over for Bowers and Steffen but there really doesn’t seem to be much depth and still lacking size as far as I can tell. Line backers I would assume we will be fine with Tracy, Shafrath, Kilgore and the younger guys ready to step in. Secondary will be a question mark. We were not very good I don’t think but feel we have a few young guys and some redshirts who will need to and hopefully be ready to fill in. The line backers have to do too much because our pass coverage was weak, but we could never stop the run with our line. Either way we might have to get some Juco transfers or something so we can get some experience on D to go with the young but talented guys who are coming up.

Special teams will be a question mark as well. Have both kicker and punter will be sophs but both played this year so should gain experience and strength for next year. Return games I think are ok as long as we can clean up the penalties that we had on the returns. It was tough Watching some decent returns get brought back because of penalty.

Overall I think we should be able to improve or win-loss record just because we should be able to finally score with any team we play. Just depends on if our o-line holds up and helps the run and how our D stops the run and gets the big stops 3rd down and such. Either way it could be a good season or another long year depending on if players will step up and how coaches make changes and adjustments to get guys prepared.
    Last edited by goon; 11-12-2011, 03:57 PM.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: Prognosticating for next season.

Good points Goon. We have lot to build on.

I have to imagine next years team will be built around a pass-first, and run to keep them honest kind of offense. I would like to see Kool lose a few pounds, gain back his speed, and go back to being a WR, like he was his Sophomore year. He can help fill the void left by Moss.

I would think are coaches will be on the look out for some FBS-transfer or Juco RB to add some depth, and some D-lineman to help the run defense.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

I have to imagine next years team will be built around a pass-first, and run to keep them honest kind of offense. I would like to see Kool lose a few pounds and go back to being a WR, like he was his Sophomore year. He can help fill the void left by Moss.

I would think are coaches will be on the look out for some FBS-transfer or Juco RB to add some depth, and some D-lineman to help the run defense.
      I was thinking those things too. a RB and D-lineman or convert a o-lineman to D-line. I expect to see some good passing formations that if the team is use to running them in practice and can strech the field, might see some more effective running come out of the passing game. Like texas tech how they run well out of passing sets because D are keyed on the pass.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        I was thinking those things too. a RB and D-lineman or convert a o-lineman to D-line. I expect to see some good passing formations that if the team is use to running them in practice and can strech the field, might see some more effective running come out of the passing game. Like texas tech how they run well out of passing sets because D are keyed on the pass.
        Except we should not play like Texas Tech did today. They got housed by 60 and only scored 6 points. Yikes. That looks like a KU football score.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          Except we should not play like Texas Tech did today. They got housed by 60 and only scored 6 points. Yikes. That looks like a KU football score.
          Well, thats about what our game at Ill was like. Maybe their game today is not the best example.

Comment

Here's an off the wall statement for next year. I am projecting big things from David Hetinger. The coaching staff originally had him pegged as TE when he transferred from UNO where he was a linebacker, and then he stepped in to play D-line. He is undersized, but he held up okay, and made some nice plays. I expect him to put on some muscle mass and pounds, and be a darn good interior D-lineman for the next two years.

Comment

I have to imagine next years team will be built around a pass-first, and run to keep them honest kind of offense. I would like to see Kool lose a few pounds, gain back his speed, and go back to being a WR, like he was his Sophomore year. He can help fill the void left by Moss.

Don't we have a redshirt freshman in the fold?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Don't we have a redshirt freshman in the fold?
                Yes, Gandy redshirted. My thinking is Kool goes back to WR and Clare graduates, that leaves us only three RB's. Zenner, Winterboer, and GandyIt really depends on what they decide to do with Kool.

Comment

Anybody know the schedule for next year? I know we open at Kansas. Any other ooc games scheduled yet?

Comment

Here's an off the wall statement for next year. I am projecting big things from David Hetinger. The coaching staff originally had him pegged as TE when he transferred from UNO where he was a linebacker, and then he stepped in to play D-line. He is undersized, but he held up okay, and made some nice plays. I expect him to put on some muscle mass and pounds, and be a darn good interior D-lineman for the next two years.
                    Or,if we could find some big DT's,Hettinger seems quick ehough to play DE.

Comment

Originally posted by juniorjackgrownold View Post
                      Anybody know the schedule for next year? I know we open at Kansas. Any other ooc games scheduled yet?
                      We play at SE LA St. We have yet to have a home non-conference game lined up.

With a ten team conference we do not play ISU-Red.
                      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I just hope for once we can get a normal season in.

Why is it we are either starting a week after everyone else, or ending a week before everyone else?

Very frustruting to me.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Didn't Kool return kicks a few years ago (I thought he returned them against Minnesota, but I may be wrong) If so, I would like him to go back to that, puts the ball in his more and let's him work in space. Plus, I thought he performed well in that role.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            Didn't Kool return kicks a few years ago (I thought he returned them against Minnesota, but I may be wrong) If so, I would like him to go back to that, puts the ball in his more and let's him work in space. Plus, I thought he performed well in that role.
                            Yes, Kool did return kicks two years ago, and against Minnesota he had like a 90 yard kickoff return before getting tackled at the 5 yard line... sadly, we weren't able to punch in in from there.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Yes, play at SE LA in Hammond, not certain about 3rd OOC. Need that home game. Is Cal Poly coming in for 1 of their two home games @ SDSU?

Comment

Working...
                              X