NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU

Starting this thread in hopes of simply learning a bit more about each of our teams. A predictions thread can get smacky and will probably end up there anyway. Rivalry games are hard to predict anyways. Sure would like to see Craig Bohl get his first win down in Brookings.

Re: NDSU

I know this board isn't nearly as active as maybe some other boards, but I figured at least a reply or two would have been made. I guess I can elaborate a little bit more now that I'm not typing on my phone.

Offense-After having faced two tough 3-4 defenses, the offense had some of us Bison fans a little concerned. Things seem to have gotten back on track a bit with a good showing against MSU. First and foremost we're going to try and establish the run. With McNorton and Ojuri back there, the Bison have a nice mix of depth. Our WR corp is a little banged up, but we've seen So. Whapeton native Ryan Smith step in and make some amazing catches opposite Sr. Warren Halloway. Warren is a deep threat, and Ryan is very effective around the sidelines. Our O-line looked much improved in the last game after struggling a bit with assignments against those pesky 3-4's.

Defense-Some are concerned we give up too many yards on the ground, but I've yet to see it become a glaring weakness in the big picture of an entire ball game. Our D is very deep and substitutes 4 guys after almost every play. Therefore, I think offenses tend to run out of gas and we force them to go away from what they are comfortable doing. I know you've heard about CB Marcus Williams, but he is a game changer like I've never seen before at NDSU. It seems like in the MSU game, the QB wouldn't even look his way. Some teams have had some early success passing against our secondary, but in the end, our guys up front start to get through and it makes for a long day for most offenses we've faced.

After saying all this, and repeating what I've said before about throwing everything out the window when it comes to rivalry games, it's a tough one to call. I won't make any predictions, I'll only say this. The Bison of 2011 are winning games that we probably should'nt have, and that's the sign of a good football team. Finding a way to win. Looking very forward to coming down to there on Saturday and only expect a war. Go Bison!!

Comment

Originally posted by 8>1 View Post
      I know this board isn't nearly as active as maybe some other boards, but I figured at least a reply or two would have been made. I guess I can elaborate a little bit more now that I'm not typing on my phone.

Offense-After having faced two tough 3-4 defenses, the offense had some of us Bison fans a little concerned. Things seem to have gotten back on track a bit with a good showing against MSU. First and foremost we're going to try and establish the run. With McNorton and Ojuri back there, the Bison have a nice mix of depth. Our WR corp is a little banged up, but we've seen So. Whapeton native Ryan Smith step in and make some amazing catches opposite Sr. Warren Halloway. Warren is a deep threat, and Ryan is very effective around the sidelines. Our O-line looked much improved in the last game after struggling a bit with assignments against those pesky 3-4's.

Defense-Some are concerned we give up too many yards on the ground, but I've yet to see it become a glaring weakness in the big picture of an entire ball game. Our D is very deep and substitutes 4 guys after almost every play. Therefore, I think offenses tend to run out of gas and we force them to go away from what they are comfortable doing. I know you've heard about CB Marcus Williams, but he is a game changer like I've never seen before at NDSU. It seems like in the MSU game, the QB wouldn't even look his way. Some teams have had some early success passing against our secondary, but in the end, our guys up front start to get through and it makes for a long day for most offenses we've faced.

After saying all this, and repeating what I've said before about throwing everything out the window when it comes to rivalry games, it's a tough one to call. I won't make any predictions, I'll only say this. The Bison of 2011 are winning games that we probably should'nt have, and that's the sign of a good football team. Finding a way to win. Looking very forward to coming down to there on Saturday and only expect a war. Go Bison!!
      Try the pick six. Many teams have found that works well in beating us.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I know this board isn't nearly as active as maybe some other boards, but I figured at least a reply or two would have been made....
        This board can be very active. I think many do not respond to threads started by fans of other schools. And, let's face it, over time we've had some drive-by incidents from Bison fans and we fall prey to stereotypes just like people on all fan boards -- but over time that seems to be easing up (yep, you've been judged by the lakes-measurement).

So, give it a little time and see if people want to chat it up. My only comment: opponents have to be very nervous about SDSU because it's a team that is on the verge of putting together four quarters of excellent football (haven't done it yet -- and may not -- but I'd be real nervous about Saturday if I was visiting CAS).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          This board can be very active. I think many do not respond to threads started by fans of other schools. And, let's face it, over time we've had some drive-by incidents from Bison fans and we fall prey to stereotypes just like people on all fan boards -- but over time that seems to be easing up (yep, you've been judged by the lakes-measurement).

So, give it a little time and see if people want to chat it up. My only comment: opponents have to be very nervous about SDSU because it's a team that is on the verge of putting together four quarters of excellent football (haven't done it yet -- and may not -- but I'd be real nervous about Saturday if I was visiting CAS).
          I'm nervous about special teams and your qb. He's put up some good numbers...quite a stroke of luck for you guys...looks like just what you were missing. If you guys can find a running game you will be hard to beat.

Comment

I can understand people being hesitant. Lakes unfortunately has given many a Bison fan a bad reputation before we're allowed to say anything. However, it's not my intention at all to try and get a rise out of anyone. In fact, the only real smack thread I like, are the look-a-like threads. They can get pretty funny. And also, understand this, I may sound confident in the Bison, but I'm in no way taking SDSU lightly. I've kept an eye on what's been going down there this year, and with Sumner in, things are drastically improving. Also, the Bison don't seem to play real well in CAS either.

Comment

I would like to add that our team has nothing to lose at this point, and are playing for respect. Looking to make a statement against a ranked team could prove to be dangerous...

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                I would like to add that our team has nothing to lose at this point, and are playing for respect. Looking to make a statement against a ranked team could prove to be dangerous...
                And this Dakota Marker game is really the seniors' last chance to put a statement on this season.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Bump. I've come to the conclusion that we already know everything about each others teams so why discuss it here. Everything you need to know about pretty much every Bison player, where they're from, what their 40 times are, and what they had for breakfast, can all be found at www.bisonville.com. I visit here regularly so I pretty much know what the make up of your team is. I followed the TOB saga, read most of the game threads, and know you guys can't run the football much with a kid that played WR last year.

On a side note. Contemplating wearing a yellow spandex invisible man suit with a Bison flag as a cape. Question though, are people allowed to bring flags into the stadium, even if I'm wearing it?

Comment

Bump. I've come to the conclusion that we already know everything about each others teams so why discuss it here. Everything you need to know about pretty much every Bison player, where they're from, what their 40 times are, and what they had for breakfast, can all be found at www.bisonville.com. I visit here regularly so I pretty much know what the make up of your team is. I followed the TOB saga, read most of the game threads, and know you guys can't run the football much with a kid that played WR last year.

On a side note. Contemplating wearing a yellow spandex invisible man suit with a Bison flag as a cape. Question though, are people allowed to bring flags into the stadium, even if I'm wearing it?
                    We do all of the time,so you should be able to...
                    AND as long as you don'tdo anything stupid with it, you'll likely be able to keep it,

Comment

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

From the story - A sampling of other Valley head coaches came to a similar conclusion: being the only grass field is an advantage for the Jackrabbits.

Comment

http://www.archive.org/details/Coach...t.19th2011S2e8

- SDSU head football coach John Stiegelmeier joins the Sports Block with Travis and Charlie to review the Jacks 31-14 loss vs. Northern Iowa and preview this weeks game Dakota Marker match up vs. North Dakota State. ksdjradio.com and 90.7 FM in the Brookings, SD area
                        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

This

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                            http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

From the story - A sampling of other Valley head coaches came to a similar conclusion: being the only grass field is an advantage for the Jackrabbits.
                            At least there wasn't a lot of complaining in the story. I get weary of the Bizon fans complaining about grass. Football was meant to be played outdoors in the elements and that includes a natural surface. I understand the changes to turf, and I can deal with artificial if it is outdoors, but I have zero time for domes.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              We do all of the time,so you should be able to...AND as long as you don'tdo anything stupid with it, you'll likely be able to keep it,
                              I'll simply be wearing it as a cape. It's actually not my flag so I'd hate to see something happen to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X