Offensive Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Identity

According to MVC stats we are #1 in passing offense and last in run offense. My question is should our offense be tweaked so that we are a pass 1st team that opens up our run game? I would like to think that if we would spread out our offense some more, throw first then mix in some runs, I would bet we would get much more out of our run game. Just my opinion. What's everyone else's?

Re: Offensive Identity

Originally posted by ghomestead1 View Post
    According to MVC stats we are #1 in passing offense and last in run offense. My question is should our offense be tweaked so that we are a pass 1st team that opens up our run game? I would like to think that if we would spread out our offense some more, throw first then mix in some runs, I would bet we would get much more out of our run game. Just my opinion. What's everyone else's?
    It wouldn't hurt to have more pass routes running if that's what we do best( if Sumners given enough time to read them all,mix quick passes with longer ones,he's good at seeing the whole field,but needs time for pass routes to devlop).Spread the field out and make the defense worry more about the pass than a run ,then bust a run for about 20 once in awhile,just when they think they've got the passing game covered,then start passing when they are going back to sitting in run defense.Of course,this all depends how well we can disguise a run play as a pass, and a whole lot of completions before they start reacting the way we want them to.Football is constently changing to counter act what the opposition is doing,so,the more you do the opposite of what they're expecting , the more there's a chance of success.the team that does this the best, usually wins,however,if one team does something so well and the other team simply cannot stop ,then less deception is needed, you simply keep doing that one thing.That's not us, i think.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Yes we should tweak the offense. Use the run as a change of pace. Our runs are so predictable (count how many times we run a dive play after picking up a first down). More shotgun 4WR sets and let Sumner do what he does. He's going to be ridiculous in 3 years.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Yes we should tweak the offense. Use the run as a change of pace. Our runs are so predictable (count how many times we run a dive play after picking up a first down). More shotgun 4WR sets and let Sumner do what he does. He's going to be ridiculous in 3 years.
        3 years? But I want it now.....
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
          3 years? But I want it now.....
          Well he's pretty damn good right now. He'll only improve.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            Well he's pretty damn good right now. He'll only improve.

We said that about another freshman QB a few years ago when he came in and played well too.

How ever, I completely agree with you. He does a lot good and whats bad looks is correctable IMO.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Our offense has already been tweaked so that we are pass first team, run if we can get it.

We're averaging 40 pass attempts per game with a total of 54 on saturday.

I did see seem tweaks to the running game the past couple games. Zenner is getting more carries, as he should be sine he is averaging 4.5 per carry with Kool averaging 3.6.

Also, they are substituting the OL more than usual. Especially at center with Redshirt Freshman Nick Purcell spelling Will Castle. I also see Redshirt Freshman Trevor Gregor and Sophomore Taylor Suess.

The season has gone the way it has because of these reason: (IMO)
              1. Started the season with little depth at DT and TE, of course than, that's the position where our injuries happen making matters worse.
              2. The secondary & LB crew keeps getting burned for long passes. I can understand our CB's getting beat every now and again, but when they do there never seems to be a safety in sight.
              3. The OL has underperformed greatly compared to expectations. We should probably have seen this coming since Minett had to fight for every yard he got last year. To my untrained eye, each OL besides Witzman & Kage could stand to lose 10 lbs.
              4. QB controversy. I'm glad the switch was made to Sumner but his acclimation probably cost us the Illinois St game. But that is all in my opinion. I don't think we would have won the Illinois or Cal Poly game with Sumner instead of O'Brien.

The Pros -
              - We've developed one of the best WR cores in the MVC and Moss is really the one that graduates. Rollin, Hubert, Schneider, & Tiefenthaler return.
              - This team has found some very capable players that will back next season: DT Andy Mink, DE Doug Peete, CB Winston Wright (At Times), RB Zach Zenner, QB Austin Sumner, Above WR's, OL (if they get their act together)
              - We don't lose less impact seniors as we would most seasons.

Comment

The offense has to develop a running game. That is just plain and simple. I would like to see more of a spread though.

However I don't care what the situation on offense the DB's or lack there of are killing this team. If the D-line doesn't produce pressure its almost a guranteed catch and so many big plays. I understand that some kids left late, some flunked out and some got kicked out but really, someone dropped the ball there. I don't really fault any of them, because you have strong safeties and outside linebackers playing corner. If you look at the playoff team, one thing that is overlooked is the quality and depth of the DB's. I know its a tough position to recruit in this area. But I think thats the big thing.

The big plays being given up on defense make it so the offense has to pass 50 times a game.

Comment

Why are you guys so sure that Austin Sumner will hold off the challenge of Eric Kline? I'd be willing to bet that Kline beats him out in the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                    Why are you guys so sure that Austin Sumner will hold off the challenge of Eric Kline? I'd be willing to bet that Kline beats him out in the next two years.
                    that is a bold statement. If that is true, we will be damn good - and kline will be heading to the pros. Sumner is special, and will dominate for the next 3 years. If he stays healthy, he has a shot to break every passing record.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      So then we put Sumner in as DE?
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by theee catrabbit View Post
                        so then we put sumner in as de?

good idea I think a bunch of you are really getting ahead of yourselves.

Comment

You cannot be serious making the statement kline is going to take sumners job are you. Obviously you have no inside information regarding what Sumner does off the field as well as on the field. Sumner has three years of eligibility left and it wouldn't suprise me at all if we only have him for another two. Ya ya may be a bold statement but you don't see or get a 6'5quick 235 pound quarterback that can throw read coverage have the poise and keep plays alive like he can plain and simple. Go ahead argue your point but anything you may find to say negative you aren't a true football or jacks fan.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                            You cannot be serious making the statement kline is going to take sumners job are you. Obviously you have no inside information regarding what Sumner does off the field as well as on the field. Sumner has three years of eligibility left and it wouldn't suprise me at all if we only have him for another two. Ya ya may be a bold statement but you don't see or get a 6'5quick 235 pound quarterback that can throw read coverage have the poise and keep plays alive like he can plain and simple. Go ahead argue your point but anything you may find to say negative you aren't a true football or jacks fan.

Whats he going to be doing his last year?

Comment

I don't have quite the erection some people do about Sumner, it seems like to a lot of people when TOB was the QB it was all the QB's problem, now that Sumner is the QB its everyone elses problem. To me I don't think the QB is or has been the problem. I have heard good things about Kline, what that means? IDK.

But I don't think now is the time for a QB controversy. What happens next year happens next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X