What about moving Kool back to WR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about moving Kool back to WR

Ok hear me out. I would like to see Zenner as the starting HB and use Kool at WR and as a "change of pace" RB. We seem to want to run the ball between the tackles, like we always have, and Zenner is better between the tackles and Kool is better when he is out in space.

Re: What about moving Kool back to WR

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Ok hear me out. I would like to see Zenner as the starting HB and use Kool at WR and as a "change of pace" RB. We seem to want to run the ball between the tackles, like we always have, and Zenner is better between the tackles and Kool is better when he is out in space.
    I asked Coach Stig about that possiblity last Monday and his answer was simple and direct: (paraphrased) We do not plan to move Tyrell back to WR. We need two running backs throughout the game and like our rotation of the two and the different strengths they bring to the position.

With four games left, I doubt we will see any change in that position.

Comment

I like Stig a lot but our running game is not good so we need to do something. I do agree we need two RBs and after spring ball I understood that Winterboer was the #2 so he and Zenner must be close as coming out of fall ball Zenner was #2 and Winterboer was #3. Both Zenner and Winterboer are between the tackles kind of runners and if those are the plays we are going to call then we should use the runners who are best suited for that play calling, IMHO.

Now that we are out of playoff contention I think we need to look to the future. So now is a great time to "switch it up" and see what works, we already know what doesn't.

If Stig doesn't think Winterboer is ready then at least he should switch the rotation and start Zenner and use Kool every third series. All I know is our running game hasn't been good all year and if we want to contend next year we need to be able to run the ball better.

Comment

This is more of the Stig loyalty b.s. we've been dealing with all year. First TOB, now the RB's. He told Kool that he would be the back after Minett left so he's living up to his word. And it's hurting the team again. To me Zenner is obviously the better RB. He has a better combination of speed and power and he catches the ball. So what's the difference? Zenner takes contact and deals with it. Kool takes contact and falls over.

Plus the fumbling problem. Kool has 4? lost fumbles this year. The one against So. Utah damn near cost them the game. The one last night gave UNI a 19 yard drive. No pick 6's last night, but giving the #2 team in the country a 19 yard field (that took them 1 play to score on) might as well have been.

This is the new "time for a change thread". And yes I'm ready for a new #1 RB.

Comment

I'd like to see Kool move back out to WR epecially for next year. Start the year out with Zenner as your #1, Sumner at QB, add Kool to the WR corps and that has the look of a pretty decent offense at the skill positions.
          “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

I've only been saying this since game 1(maybe earlier,i'm not going back to check)
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I'll probably be in the minority here but I don't think moving Tyrel to WR and putting Zenner in as the primary back is not going to change much. If anything they should have moved him 2 DB when they saw what they had there. The 1 position the Jacks are deep at is WR. I do think 2 RB sets needs to be the norm for the Jacks.

Now I do think the Jacks could use Tyrel better, sweeps, off tackles, utilize his speed, but I don't buy the argument that you should switch running backs because the line can't create a hole. More times then not he has been hit & hit hard by a defender right as he gets to the line.

Comment

Yeah keep him at RB but make sure Zenner gets more reps/touches.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  I'll probably be in the minority here but I don't think moving Tyrel to WR and putting Zenner in as the primary back is not going to change much. If anything they should have moved him 2 DB when they saw what they had there. The 1 position the Jacks are deep at is WR. I do think 2 RB sets needs to be the norm for the Jacks.

Now I do think the Jacks could use Tyrel better, sweeps, off tackles, utilize his speed, but I don't buy the argument that you should switch running backs because the line can't create a hole. More times then not he has been hit & hit hard by a defender right as he gets to the line.
                  I think coaches need to find a way to use them both better. More variety in the run sets. That goes with hoping the line can protect for more varitey of run formations and directions.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Jacks need to get more talent on the field anyway they can and they are two of the top three (Moss) skill positions.

You are what you are and our talent/coaching says we are so far a two win team.

Comment

Bottom line, Kool was an above avg. WR last year and he is a below avg. RB this year.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                        Bottom line, Kool was an above avg. WR last year and he is a below avg. RB this year.
                        Spot on. I think its a mistake to continue to try and use Kool primarily as a RB. Zenner should be option #1, give the other guys a chance at #2 and let Kool play in a slot/receiver position.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would like to see them utilize Kool in more swing passes and screens to utilize his catching ability and help him get some space to run. It seems like we have ran more wide reciever screens then rb screens in the last few games. When Kyle was back ther they ran the swing pass pretty steadily and if Kool has any advantage over Kyle it would probably be his catching ability. We ran swing passes against Southern Utah effectively and then stopped probably because of all the pick 6's but they seem to happen reguardless. I don't know if that is harder pass to make but we rarely attach the perimeter of their D.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                            I would like to see them utilize Kool in more swing passes and screens to utilize his catching ability and help him get some space to run. It seems like we have ran more wide reciever screens then rb screens in the last few games. When Kyle was back ther they ran the swing pass pretty steadily and if Kool has any advantage over Kyle it would probably be his catching ability. We ran swing passes against Southern Utah effectively and then stopped probably because of all the pick 6's but they seem to happen reguardless. I don't know if that is harder pass to make but we rarely attach the perimeter of their D.
                            Well executed screen passes greatly reduce the chances of being intercepted,as you throw quick to the running back who has all defenders blocked by the blockers out front,the main drawback is if the defense sees it comming and the running back is tackled from behind(too slow in developing) for little gain.....the LB's should be drawn off somehow to keep this from happening ,a blitz by the defense usually is a good time to run it.

Comment

Why don't they run more 2 back sets. Go to some split back counter attack.

Comment

Working...
                              X