Just A Game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just A Game.

Being loyal alum, I am reading all the reactions to the lack of success of our football team. Right now things are not so rosy and I suspect there is much soul searching amongst the coaching staff and the team. What are we doing wrong seems to be the big question as it should be. Some of us seem to have simple answers to this question. Replace the QB. Some say better play calling by the coaches. Those answers might be 90 percent of the solution, who knows. I am a spectator not a coach or heaven forbid a player.

At the same time I understand the frustration and disappointment of my fellow fans and alums. Backing a loser is not a good call in this day and age.

I have a significant other who is not a football fan, but watched my reaction to the audio of yesterday’s game. She constantly reminded me “it’s just a game”. I agree it is just a game that is the rally point of a number of alums and friends of the University together and gives a common purpose. This is the great part of being a fan and follower of SDSU athletics.

I know I have made some enemies on this board and most of those are people who are young enough to be my grandchildren. I have no grandchildren so that’s why I like to take you on. I do this in a good natured way and mean no harm.

The bottom line is we have a game next week. I paid $99.95 to hear the audio when out of the WNAX listening area, and I am determined to get what I purchased and that is a play by play by Tyler and Mike Struck who seems to be improving in his color narration week by week.

Do I stop my EFT(Electronic Funds Transfer) to SDSU because we got clobbered two games in a row? No I can’t do this since the 15th of the month has passed, and it’s about the future and not the past so will continue the contribution and celebrate this right decision on April 15th 2012 when my tax refund is received.

If our wages were being docked for each loss the football teams experiences, then we would have reasons for anxiety. That not being the case, it’s just a game. Enjoy the rest of the season, I will.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-18-2011, 06:25 AM.

Re: Just A Game.

Good post Nidaros......"old wise man" ,haha! I was thinking the same thing,kind of,being a crummy team now gives us a lot to work on and will make fans even more proud of the team once they've gone through the trials and tribulations and emerge from all this a confident, successful football team.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Good post Nidaros......"old wise man" ,haha! I was thinking the same thing,kind of,being a crummy team now gives us a lot to work on and will make fans even more proud of the team once they've gone through the trials and tribulations and emerge from all this a confident, successful football team.
      Thanks old but hardly wise.

Comment

Thanks for this thread! My wife always says this as well and in the bigger picture, she is right!

Comment

They were just a few plays from being a very close game. Two pick 6's, QB going down at the one at the end of the half. If those three plays ended differently you could of added 14 points to SDSU's total and taken 14 away from Poly's. Also it is a long trip out to SLO. SDSU is still a very good team that will win some games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
            They were just a few plays from being a very close game. Two pick 6's, QB going down at the one at the end of the half. If those three plays ended differently you could of added 14 points to SDSU's total and taken 14 away from Poly's. Also it is a long trip out to SLO. SDSU is still a very good team that will win some games this year.
            Thanks SloStang, you are a classy winner. Your analysis will help pick some of the spirits off the floor, mine in particular, and put them back in the stands two weeks from now when we come home to take on Indiana State, who has a good QB who transferred from U of Wash. We are going to have a rough ride this season unless our guys start to pick up. I think we drew the wrong mustang yesterday.(rodeo reference).

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
              Thanks for this thread! My wife always says this as well and in the bigger picture, she is right!
              I understand its just a game but really there is much more to it than that. Scholarships, endless hours of working out, coaches jobs possible being on the line and the list goes on. It is true that we need to keep things in perspective but for those going thru it it is much more than that!

Comment

It is more then just a game wheb this goes back to that montana loss in the playoffs. It goes to all of last year so far our 3 games this year. Any momentum and fan support we got during the transition is long gone.

Its going to be hard for Sell to well, sellthe idea of a new stadium and to get more season ticket holders when the team gives up over 1000 yards 100 points while only scoring 17 points and scoring more points for the other team throwing pick 6s.

Our offense its a compilment to call it vanilla. Our D was best its ever been a few years ago and now its the worst I have ever seen. The coaches are sticking with tob and only they know why.

It satrts with coaches making chsanges to both side ans preparing the team better and then the players responding to it. I as a fan will look forward to those improbement but the trending we have been doing for over 2 years gives little hope. I will be back again next week to cheer the jacks. I am just not going to hold my breath.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                  I understand its just a game but really there is much more to it than that. Scholarships, endless hours of working out, coaches jobs possible being on the line and the list goes on. It is true that we need to keep things in perspective but for those going thru it it is much more than that!
                  You're right speed. But fan perspective in this case is very important. Anyone who believes they know more than our coaching staff needs to change their line of work and get out there. Its not wrong to question, and second guessing is part of our nature. But it is wrong to believe you know more than they do. They are there day in and day out, they view the tape from every angle, they know the heart of the players and are going to do what they feel is best because their livelihood depends on it.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Its going to be hard for Sell to well, sellthe idea of a new stadium and to get more season ticket holders when the team gives up over 1000 yards 100 points while only scoring 17 points and scoring more points for the other team throwing pick 6s.

Our offense its a compilment to call it vanilla. Our D was best its ever been a few years ago and now its the worst I have ever seen. The coaches are sticking with tob and only they know why.

It satrts with coaches making chsanges to both side ans preparing the team better and then the players responding to it. I as a fan will look forward to those improbement but the trending we have been doing for over 2 years gives little hope. I will be back again next week to cheer the jacks. I am just not going to hold my breath.
                    I have yet to have any private conversations with AD Sell, but for you characterise his efforts in getting the new staduim built based on football stats is pure baloney. Mr Sell comes across in a very positive manner in the media and from that I do not think that he will be intimidated in approaching a generous donor because our offense is vanilla. Is that donor going to care what our offense did or did not do or how our coaches called the plays? Hell no, they will see the new staduim and naming rights as a means of advertizing their company or a means of feeding their ego by getting their name on the staduim. We could loose every game for the next five years and people will still show up and donors will still donate. Things will work out trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I have yet to have any private conversations with AD Sell, but for you characterise his efforts in getting the new staduim built based on football stats is pure baloney. Mr Sell comes across in a very positive manner in the media and from that I do not think that he will be intimidated in approaching a generous donor because our offense is vanilla. Is that donor going to care what our offense did or did not do or how our coaches called the plays? Hell no, they will see the new staduim and naming rights as a means of advertizing their company or a means of feeding their ego by getting their name on the staduim. We could loose every game for the next five years and people will still show up and donors will still donate. Things will work out trust me.
                      Not saying it wouldnt work. Just saying it took a hard transition and hard work to build support to the highest levels we have ever seen. Everybody loves a winner. If attendance does not improve the next few years, and we keep sending out teams that give up 100 points and only score 17 every 2 games, its going to be tough to get every one on board. There is plently of support no matter how good or how bad the team is. That is a given. whats not given is how much more support can a loosing program build beyond what is there now? Its going to take everyone and then some to get on board for all the plans for football, basketball, indoor practice facility, etc....How many years of just losing a game, turns into a trend. We squeeked into the playoffs, lost in epic style, and since then, we have not shown any improvement from last year or this year. Well, then again we did win our first game luckily this year, thats new.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Not saying it wouldnt work. Just saying it took a hard transition and hard work to build support to the highest levels we have ever seen. Everybody loves a winner. If attendance does not improve the next few years, and we keep sending out teams that give up 100 points and only score 17 every 2 games, its going to be tough to get every one on board. There is plently of support no matter how good or how bad the team is. That is a given. whats not given is how much more support can a loosing program build beyond what is there now? Its going to take everyone and then some to get on board for all the plans for football, basketball, indoor practice facility, etc....How many years of just losing a game, turns into a trend. We squeeked into the playoffs, lost in epic style, and since then, we have not shown any improvement from last year or this year. Well, then again we did win our first game luckily this year, thats new.
                        No doubt building the indoor facility and the football facility are both going to require some work. I being old enough to have witnessed the Staduim for State affair, realize that this is a tough sell from day one. Losing games probably does not help the cause, but they do not determine its out come entirely. If our losing continues and our attendence slids, then I would think our admin officals would take a look at the sport and consider dropping it or putting forth more resources to make it competitive and move forward with the new staduim. My point is two games or one or two losing seasons will not determine the outcome. Its more of a long range decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          No doubt building the indoor facility and the football facility are both going to require some work. I being old enough to have witnessed the Staduim for State affair, realize that this is a tough sell from day one. Losing games probably does not help the cause, but they do not determine its out come entirely. If our losing continues and our attendence slids, then I would think our admin officals would take a look at the sport and consider dropping it or putting forth more resources to make it competitive and move forward with the new staduim. My point is two games or one or two losing seasons will not determine the outcome. Its more of a long range decision.
                          The ability we have to raise money will directly be tied to how the team does. If I recall from my reading about stadium for state. Sdsu was lucky enough to get what we have now and what we have was scaled back from what we wanted then. I see the same thing happen. If we are a team that makes the playoffs most years we raise enough to get what we want. If we continue to be a 6-5 team like we usually are, then we get a scaled back but close to what we want. If we continue to trend to be a losing team year after year, we are lucky to get a fraction of what we want. What the team does the next 10 years will directly affect the stadium we will get. Maybe I am the only one who see it that way but it is imo.

Comment

The ability we have to raise money will directly be tied to how the team does. If I recall from my reading about stadium for state. Sdsu was lucky enough to get what we have now and what we have was scaled back from what we wanted then. I see the same thing happen. If we are a team that makes the playoffs most years we raise enough to get what we want. If we continue to be a 6-5 team like we usually are, then we get a scaled back but close to what we want. If we continue to trend to be a losing team year after year, we are lucky to get a fraction of what we want. What the team does the next 10 years will directly affect the stadium we will get. Maybe I am the only one who see it that way but it is imo.
                            Winning makes it easier to raise money. But honestly, the kinds of donors who have big bucks to give to a stadium campaign aren't going to change their minds based on a couple of bad games.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Winning makes it easier to raise money. But honestly, the kinds of donors who have big bucks to give to a stadium campaign aren't going to change their minds based on a couple of bad games.
                              If it were only a few bad games I wouldn't be worried. Its bad seasons we are talking about. And if it continues we are kidding our selves if we think it won't affect donor giving. If tob stays qb we could look at 3 years of losing. Who knows the damage it will bring to future years if we don't correct things soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X