Time for a change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a change?

Kinda surprised no one has started a similiar thread yet...I guess most of the frustration is being taken out on the GDT. That being said, here is my worthless perspective. Is Sumner ready...probably not. But there is one thing that constantly goes through my mind when thinking about the QB position...Can this guy lead a team? I mean when the goin' gets tough do you, as the QB, have the confidence in yourself and have the belief of your teammates to get the job done. Sumner or TOB???
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Re: Time for a change?

Yes, it is definitely time for a change.

Meadows out at OC.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Yes, it is definitely time for a change.

Meadows out at OC.
      Don't leave us hangin'....thoughts on QB???
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Don't leave us hangin'....thoughts on QB???
        I don't care. I've never seen Sumner play, other than today, so I have no clue what he can do. Put him in if it gives us a better shot. I just think he's effed if the offense keeps running the same vanilla plays that suck ass.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Is Sumner ready? Who knows. I think the one thing that is becoming obvious is TOB is never going to be the guy, and I'm not basing that on today's game. I really don't put too much stock in the FBS games.

I'm willing to at least give Sumner a shot and see how he does because we know what we have in TOB at this point - a mediocre QB whose "good game" is a game when he doesn't completely fall apart and become a turnover machine.
          “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

There isn't anything that TOB can do, that Sumner can't.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              I don't care. I've never seen Sumner play, other than today, so I have no clue what he can do. Put him in if it gives us a better shot. I just think he's effed if the offense keeps running the same vanilla plays that suck ass.
              ^This. Unless we have a super stud qb i don't know about, you can expect similar results because of the crap plays we run.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                ^This. Unless we have a super stud qb i don't know about, you can expect similar results because of the crap plays we run.
                I'm getting old and don't recall, who did we have calling the plays when Berry was QB?

Comment

Also--It doesn't take 3 QUARTERS to set up a play-action pass. Run it on the first play. 2008-The first play of the year was a play action pass to the TE from Ryan Berry. Now all of a sudden we don't have the guts to run a play action? we only tried twice-both in the 4th quarter. Unless someone remembers differently--I never saw one before then.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                    Also--It doesn't take 3 QUARTERS to set up a play-action pass. Run it on the first play. 2008-The first play of the year was a play action pass to the TE from Ryan Berry. Now all of a sudden we don't have the guts to run a play action? we only tried twice-both in the 4th quarter. Unless someone remembers differently--I never saw one before then.
                    Hard to run play action when you only run one running play. And when you have no threat of passing down field. Back in the day ('93 to be exact) we opened a number of games with play action off of our zone running play just to keep teams honest. Of course, we had a good QB and some pretty darn good receivers who could stretch the field along with a solid running game. There has to be something in the running game to run the play action off of for it to work. Something other than a dive play. Off tackle can lead to a good bootleg. Same with a pitch play, or draw. Heck, does SDSU even run a draw play?

Long story short, they can't be afraid to throw Sumner out there and give him some looks. Unless there's really something behind the scenes, and if that's the case there are bigger issues. Sumner appears to have an arm on him, which I can't say I've ever seen with TOB. Poise and confidence come from being on the field, not watching from the sideline. Two more years of mediocre TOB will set this program back too far for it to be worth it.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      Hard to run play action when you only run one running play. And when you have no threat of passing down field. Back in the day ('93 to be exact) we opened a number of games with play action off of our zone running play just to keep teams honest. Of course, we had a good QB and some pretty darn good receivers who could stretch the field along with a solid running game. There has to be something in the running game to run the play action off of for it to work. Something other than a dive play. Off tackle can lead to a good bootleg. Same with a pitch play, or draw. Heck, does SDSU even run a draw play?

Long story short, they can't be afraid to throw Sumner out there and give him some looks. Unless there's really something behind the scenes, and if that's the case there are bigger issues. Sumner appears to have an arm on him, which I can't say I've ever seen with TOB. Poise and confidence come from being on the field, not watching from the sideline. Two more years of mediocre TOB will set this program back too far for it to be worth it.
                      The '93 team was a fun offense to watch. When things were rolling it was a thing of beauty. Spread the field with some deep throws, put the defense on their heels and run McDonald on a QB draw. Daly's teams were fun to watch.

Comment

Did TOB lose the game? SDSU lost by 50+ points, the defense looked like crap, the O-line struggled, the D-line struggled, the RB's struggled, the play calling struggled and the question is whether the QB should lose his job?

Sumner does not have the arm TOB has, anybody who thinks this is misinformed, ask players or people around the program.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                          I'm getting old and don't recall, who did we have calling the plays when Berry was QB?
                          Wilkenson who now is at Colorado State. Wilkenson was a QB in college and twice the play caller/recruiter than Meadows. Hence the promotion to his alma matter.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            Did TOB lose the game? SDSU lost by 50+ points, the defense looked like crap, the O-line struggled, the D-line struggled, the RB's struggled, the play calling struggled and the question is whether the QB should lose his job?

Sumner does not have the arm TOB has, anybody who thinks this is misinformed, ask players or people around the program.
                            TOB can throw farther, but I've now see Sumner throw an a sideline route and it has noticeably more zip on it. I don't need anyone to inform me of this, as I have two eyes and they work just fine.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

Were you at the game? If so, what are you smoking? If not, you missed the pure terror that TOB projected today. No one was close to him and he'd throw the ball away to a spot, not a reciever. After his INT, in the gut of an Illini player, he was worthless.

Surely you jest, or are ignorant of a quality QB ie: the gentleman playing QB for the last two oppositions.

Comment

Working...
                              X