Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zenner, Moss, and Bowers and other burning questions and comments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zenner, Moss, and Bowers and other burning questions and comments...

Did Zenner solidify his backup role or does it go back to Clare when he gets healthy? 8 touches 65 yards! I haven't seen one of our backs run like that in a long time(Ranek?). He's got speed. Once again. I know Kool is a great playmaker, but back to WR and place Zenner, Clare, and Winterboer splitting plays wouldn't hurt my feelings.(I know it's crazy, but I keep saying it).

Will this years RB's be an over under of the Minett/Duffy combo last year in total yards? I'm saying over, which would be incredible.

Will Moss see more time this week against a more athletic Illinois team?
    I think he was in for 3 or 4 plays this week, not much more than that I noticed

The Dline was impressive, now Bowers is back this week! However there were moments Sorenson had a long time in the pocket......Not sure what rules Bowers broke, but I expect him to come out and redeem himself this week or at least come hungry, or do we think Peete can be the man?

Steffen looked like an animal out there, watched the post game presser, if they say the camera puts on 10 pounds, just how many cameras were on his arms,jeez they're huge!

Linebackers are solid! We just keep cranking them out! Disciplined and fierce.

Can the coaches do something about our special teams play(I'm sure they are and I'm sure they are frustrated as heck about them, so don't roast me too much on that question, but it's become more than a game changer)? We're better off going for it on 4th down and going for 2 pt conversions than FG's and PAT's.

Did I miss anything?
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: Zenner, Moss, and Bowers and other burning questions and comments...

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    Did Zenner solidify his backup role or does it go back to Clare when he gets healthy? 8 touches 65 yards! I haven't seen one of our backs run like that in a long time(Ranek?). He's got speed. Once again. I know Kool is a great playmaker, but back to WR and place Zenner, Clare, and Winterboer splitting plays wouldn't hurt my feelings.(I know it's crazy, but I keep saying it).

Will this years RB's be an over under of the Minett/Duffy combo last year in total yards? I'm saying over, which would be incredible.

Will Moss see more time this week against a more athletic Illinois team?
    I think he was in for 3 or 4 plays this week, not much more than that I noticed

The Dline was impressive, now Bowers is back this week! However there were moments Sorenson had a long time in the pocket......Not sure what rules Bowers broke, but I expect him to come out and redeem himself this week or at least come hungry, or do we think Peete can be the man?

Steffen looked like an animal out there, watched the post game presser, if they say the camera puts on 10 pounds, just how many cameras were on his arms,jeez they're huge!

Linebackers are solid! We just keep cranking them out! Disciplined and fierce.

Can the coaches do something about our special teams play(I'm sure they are and I'm sure they are frustrated as heck about them, so don't roast me too much on that question, but it's become more than a game changer)? We're better off going for it on 4th down and going for 2 pt conversions than FG's and PAT's.

Did I miss anything?
    Coaches made it clear that Kool is playing RB. We are a better team with him there-becomes more of a dual threat.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
      Coaches made it clear that Kool is playing RB. We are a better team with him there-becomes more of a dual threat.
      I get that..but I just disagree with. All last year they were so concerned about getting Kool on the field. Well, then they should have balls-ed up and told Duffy he got bumped. Kool would have gotten more touches than catches last year if that's all they were worried about, and our wideouts would have gotten more plays(hopefully). Get Zenner and Kool on the field at the same time(and not in that lame Flash-option they tried to pull, that everyone saw coming).

I guess my point is Dom definitely needs to show something when he gets in, because so far Zenner looked really good against a veteran defense.

Comment

We need a WR to catch all those swing passes!
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          We need a WR to catch all those swing passes!
          Those swing passes are going to get someone killed this week. We need to go up the gut just like we did at Nebraska, that's the advantage Dom has, he is a much sturdier back than the others. But I wish Stig would change his philosophy on his RB's to more situational roles, rather than changing them out every third drive, it's predictable and it helps teams game plan for it.

Comment

Those swing passes are going to get someone killed this week. We need to go up the gut just like we did at Nebraska, that's the advantage Dom has, he is a much sturdier back than the others. But I wish Stig would change his philosophy on his RB's to more situational roles, rather than changing them out every third drive, it's predictable and it helps teams game plan for it.
            Nothing against Dom Claire but he would have been #3 this week at RB depth chart even if he was healthy. We have 2 good RB's to go to again and both are needed as we all know its a grueling position to play. Zenner is the future back for the Jacks and the experience he is getting now will pay huge dividends later. The Outside LBer has to take the swing pass away- if he does I expect we will be looking down the field for the WR's hooking up etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
              Nothing against Dom Claire but he would have been #3 this week at RB depth chart even if he was healthy. We have 2 good RB's to go to again and both are needed as we all know its a grueling position to play. Zenner is the future back for the Jacks and the experience he is getting now will pay huge dividends later. The Outside LBer has to take the swing pass away- if he does I expect we will be looking down the field for the WR's hooking up etc.
              I was under the impression Dom was the #2.....thanks for the correction.

Agreed in what the OLB has to do, the Illini LB's will be much faster than the SUU backers so I'm just saying, we need to stick to the North-South running if we can this weekend.

Comment

Gotta keep the RB's as is. We have some speed this year at RB so not every run will be right up the middle. With how SUU was stacking the line when we were trying to run out the clock, a run to the outside would have been a great choice. With the amount of wide outs we have right now, the last thing you do is move Kool back to it.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

It would be one thing if we actually changed the playcalling when a new RB comes in, but we were running generally the same run-pass mix whether it was Kool or Zenner in the game so I don't think it's hurting us.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                    Gotta keep the RB's as is. We have some speed this year at RB so not every run will be right up the middle. With how SUU was stacking the line when we were trying to run out the clock, a run to the outside would have been a great choice. With the amount of wide outs we have right now, the last thing you do is move Kool back to it.
                    I don't think we run up the middle against the other FCS teams, but I definitely think we must against the Illini. We tried too much cutesy outside game junk against Iowa State and Minnesota, and look what happened whenever we did that....not good. We went inside for the most part against the Huskers and look what happened...good things. From reading the Illini board looks like they are weak up the middle and the underneath passing game, something I think we actually do pretty well. But everybody here has valid points. My point would be the same as last year, we were a better team with minett and kool on the field at the same time. I think the same thing for this year, we'd be a better team with Kool and Zenner on the field at the same time, I do agree I am pipe-dreaming on that.

Comment

I agree completely with Catrabbit, of course I'm OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL,when you had two running back sets and deception was used more than pure athleticism like today's game.I remember a game way back when ND's QB (Terry Hanratty?)was so deceptive about concealing his hand offs that he fooled the camera man and they had to cut back to him as he still had the ball,he threw it for a TD ,I believe.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Those swing passes are going to get someone killed this week. We need to go up the gut just like we did at Nebraska, that's the advantage Dom has, he is a much sturdier back than the others.
                        I don't understand why some people get this impression (sorry Catrabbit, don't mean to single you out as I've seen it from other posters) that all we are going to do is run swing passes all year, as the Jacks attacked the flats against Southern Utah because of the way they were aligning their defense. I don't always agree with the play calling, but I was happy to see offense stick with the strategy if the defense refuses to adjust.

I don't expect Illinois is going to stack the interior like SUU because they won't feel as vulnerable up the middle, so I'd expect more inside runs and less passes in the flats this game. I have enough faith in the Jackrabbit coaching staff to believe they will adjust the offensive strategy to attack the weakness of the defense rather than go against the grain just to be stubborn.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          I don't understand why some people get this impression (sorry Catrabbit, don't mean to single you out as I've seen it from other posters) that all we are going to do is run swing passes all year, as the Jacks attacked the flats against Southern Utah because of the way they were aligning their defense. I don't always agree with the play calling, but I was happy to see offense stick with the strategy if the defense refuses to adjust.

I don't expect Illinois is going to stack the interior like SUU because they won't feel as vulnerable up the middle, so I'd expect more inside runs and less passes in the flats this game. I have enough faith in the Jackrabbit coaching staff to believe they will adjust the offensive strategy to attack the weakness of the defense rather than go against the grain just to be stubborn.
                          Correct. I mentioned this in the other thread, but SUU was bringing Heat up the middle all game long, safety and LB. 2 LB'ers. 2 LBer's and a safety. They weren't gonna let us run up the gut. I actually think it was pretty good playcalling on our part. And I even saw a few different looks doing it as well, WR screens, RB screens, RB flares, etc...
                          Would be nice to see some play action and roll out away from the run too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

If Illinois does take away the flats and all the screens I am just curious as to what type of passes we will be able to throw? These were the only throws T.O. was consistent with Saturday night.

Comment

I don't think we run up the middle against the other FCS teams, but I definitely think we must against the Illini. We tried too much cutesy outside game junk against Iowa State and Minnesota, and look what happened whenever we did that....not good. We went inside for the most part against the Huskers and look what happened...good things. From reading the Illini board looks like they are weak up the middle and the underneath passing game, something I think we actually do pretty well. But everybody here has valid points. My point would be the same as last year, we were a better team with minett and kool on the field at the same time. I think the same thing for this year, we'd be a better team with Kool and Zenner on the field at the same time, I do agree I am pipe-dreaming on that.
                              Last year, 90% of our rushes were up the middle. The reason we couldn't run sweeps last year is Minett was a straight up the field runner and not a sweep type. Kool/Zenner have the speed to get to the outside and turn the corner. That is why I said not all our rushes this year will be up the middle.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                              X