PDA

View Full Version : Southern Utah

xrabbit
08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
I enjoy reading about the food and all but lets start talking about Southern Utah. I know they are picked to win their conference but what do they have besides a good quarterback.

Jacks#1Fan
08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Well, they have enough going there that they won the Great West last year, and are favored as the top team again this year. There program has improved tremendously the last couple of years and they will be a tough challenge. Unfortunately, given the Jacks schedule in September, this is a VERY important game. How we play against this team will give us a good idea of how this year may go.

Kemo
08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Saw on the AGS board that Football Gameplan made a preview video of the Jacks vs. SUU game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu3emtTtWp4&feature=player_embedded

Emory has been rough on us so far this preseason (pick us to finish 8th in the conference), so hopefully our boys can go out there and prove the doubters wrong.

rjacks21
08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
SUU returns 16 starters but lost it's top three receivers I believe. Hopefully, that will help our inexperienced secondary in game 1 before their QB Brad Sorenson and his new wideout's get a chance to really sync up. Here's a link to a quick team recap for Southern Utah from College Sporting News Great West preview:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?559-2010-Great-West-Preview-Last-Season-Of-Conference-Should-Be-A-Competitive-One&

MaddogJack
08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
This game reminds me a little of a couple years ago when we were welcoming a pretty salty Georgia Southern team to open the season. If memory (mine is pretty bad!) serves, we weren't sure what to expect of our Jackrabbits and Georgia Southern came with a pretty strong program, with lots of returnees and led by a pretty salty QB.

I don't remember the exact score, but I know we put up at least 40 on them and gave up a TD or two. I also think that was the start of a pretty good season. Hoping for a repeat, but will simply take a "W". Sorry I'm going to have to miss it. Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!!

jackmd
08-30-2011, 11:04 AM
I think the two teams are fairly evenly matched due to different strengths and weaknesses. SDSU has the advantage of home field but the great disadvantage of uncertainty. Our O-line needs to take control of the los and keep SUU out of the backfield while we establish the run with Tyrel and Zenner (just what I'm hearing). If we can do that we'll move the ball, control the clock and should keep field position in our favor. However, none of us know for sure how special teams are going to pan out and that could be a huge factor.

SUU is going to gain yards through the air, no way around that. Jacks need to control the defensive LOS and get some pressure on their QB while limiting the passing game to short to mid yardage. Absolutely must have a positive turnover ratio and keep the penalties to a minimum.

Jackrabbits could win this one fairly handily (14 or more) but I'm guessing it's going to be closer than that. It will most likely come down to controlling the LOS, protecting the ball on offense, special teams and field position. I doubt one or two guys on either team are going to be the difference maker. If that does happen I'm afraid it won't be in SDSU's favor.

SDSU 31 SUU 24

rjacks21
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
This game reminds me a little of a couple years ago when we were welcoming a pretty salty Georgia Southern team to open the season. If memory (mine is pretty bad!) serves, we weren't sure what to expect of our Jackrabbits and Georgia Southern came with a pretty strong program, with lots of returnees and led by a pretty salty QB.

I don't remember the exact score, but I know we put up at least 40 on them and gave up a TD or two. I also think that was the start of a pretty good season. Hoping for a repeat, but will simply take a "W". Sorry I'm going to have to miss it. Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!!

I think that game is a pretty good comparison, although I think SUU is a better team than Georgia Southern was that year. Honestly, SDSU could win by 20 or lose by 20 and I wouldn't be shocked either way. If TOB plays a good game with no turnovers I think the Jacks win by a 7-10 point margin.

SpeedRabbit
08-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I think that game is a pretty good comparison, although I think SUU is a better team than Georgia Southern was that year. Honestly, SDSU could win by 20 or lose by 20 and I wouldn't be shocked either way. If TOB plays a good game with no turnovers I think the Jacks win by a 7-10 point margin. I would be shocked if we lost by 20 at home. Our O and D lines have to control the line of scrimmage. If we can do that and not throw any picks I like our chances.

MaddogJack
08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
I would be shocked if we lost by 20 at home. Our O and D lines have to control the line of scrimmage. If we can do that and not throw any picks I like our chances.

I think that's what surprised me about the Georgia Southern game a few years ago. We knew that they had some great athletes at the skill positions and they were incredibly quick on the outside, but our O/D lines controlled that game without a doubt from beginning to end in that game (and a majority of that whole season) and that is what lead to our success.

Hoping for the same Saturday and ALL YEAR!!!

JackFan96
08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Might sound like a broken record, but we need to control the lines of scrimmage and reduce turnovers to be successful. That's what it's all about. I would like to think we aren't going to get blown out, but I hoped the same thing against Delaware and Illinois State last year, too, and...well, we know how those games went. I think this is a huge, huge game. Win it, and we are off to a good start. Lose it and see the return of the turnover factory, and the odds of a record above .500 are slim, in my opinion. We'll know about the entire season, I suspect, by 9 Saturday night.

rabidrabbit
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
This isn't the SUU of an SDSU championship era GWFC. This will be a tough game. Jacks definitely need to act cohesively, and like the hungary team that they are. Let's get 2011 season off to a perfect 1-0 start.

TK22867
08-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Still have my two (2) extra tickets in Section J, Row 22 if anyone is interested.

Otherwise I'll be the guy walking the parking lot holding up two fingers, LOL. Big time football!

NoVaJack
08-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Might sound like a broken record, but we need to control the lines of scrimmage and reduce turnovers to be successful. That's what it's all about. I would like to think we aren't going to get blown out, but I hoped the same thing against Delaware and Illinois State last year, too, and...well, we know how those games went. I think this is a huge, huge game. Win it, and we are off to a good start. Lose it and see the return of the turnover factory, and the odds of a record above .500 are slim, in my opinion. We'll know about the entire season, I suspect, by 9 Saturday night.

Having seen the Delaware game last year I think there are three opening game keys: QB confidence and play; tempo; and crowd support. The first two were definitely lacking in that opener last year, and the third was not a factor because of the distance. Season trends and themes are set from that very first kickoff, and the fact that it is at home should not be a wasted statement opportunity for the team AND the fans.

goon
08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Big time

Slappin da bass.

Sorry I have no idea why it made me think of that movie quote. It might be lack of sleep from having a 6 week old. Conincidently, we are section J row 21.

goon
08-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Dont forget this team under stig typically has slow starts to the season. For what ever reason, it probably will want to start winning the first few games of the year. just like we did when we went to the play offs.

If the O line lets Kool run, we will be fine, just need TOB to connect on timing with the WR to give them a better chance. I think our LB will be able to blitz and change formations to keep their QB guessing enough so he doesnt get comfortable trying to pick apart our inexperienced (yet I think talented) secondary.

MaddogJack
08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
TV is pretty thorough and I'm sure it will come up later in the week, but anyone have any idea how ticket sales are for the game Saturday night? Where did we end with our season ticket sales and single game ticket projections. Wondered if anyone had heard.

jacks1
08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
TV is pretty thorough and I'm sure it will come up later in the week, but anyone have any idea how ticket sales are for the game Saturday night? Where did we end with our season ticket sales and single game ticket projections. Wondered if anyone had heard.

I just checked on gojacks.com and as of now you can pretty much pick your seat on the east side.

LakeJack
08-31-2011, 01:11 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/52427149-77/utah-southern-oct-season.html.csp

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 05:37 AM
This isn't the SUU of an SDSU championship era GWFC. This will be a tough game. Jacks definitely need to act cohesively, and like the hungary team that they are. Let's get 2011 season off to a perfect 1-0 start.

I took in the Difference Makers meeting last evening and SUU is a very good ball team.
Though Stig was showing last years video's they indicate that their defense can be destructive to pass plays. They blitz like there is no tomorrow. So offensively and defensively, we must really jel in order to win this game. I doubt SUU has changed much and they have several defensive starters coming back.

NoVaJack
08-31-2011, 05:51 AM
Dont forget this team under stig typically has slow starts to the season.

Why is this?

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 06:35 AM
Why is this?

I cant speak for Goon, but in 2009 we started out with a 4-1 season and we lost 2 games in a row towards the end, SIU and U of Minnesota. So maybe that is an exception in slow starts, but sometimes its been because we were out matched in talent such 2006 when we stumbled and lost to LaCrossee, not a talent gap, Montana and UNI and then turned around with wins at Nichols State and McNeese, so you can use the media guide and past scores and argue both ways.

I will share a few things I picked up at the Difference Makers meeting.

This year's team has no "star" as evidenced no picks in the preseason all star teams. Just ask Emory what's his name, he is not impressed and picked us 8th place finish in MVFBC. Its a year were new people will have to step up. One question from audience was: Compared to last year, how does our over all speed compare? We are much slower this year with exceptions. Tyrell Kool is much quicker than Kyle Minnett, and they will run plays to exploit this ability. Plays that were not run last year.
Trevor Tiefentaler has not dropped a pass in spring or fall camp, and has by far been the most disciplined in running routes.

So there are some positives and not every thing that happen in camp was discussed. Moss was mentioned and Coach Stig said he found him in the lounge on Sunday Morning studying film for learning how he could be a better player. Its amazing how quick he has learned and there is a great deal to learn.

The two UNO players are going to be a plus. The punter is enrolled only for the fall semester and will return to UNO to practice teach and get his teaching creditials. Both are good kids according to Stig, Hettinger came close to making it as a starter. Although a defensive player, he has a throwing arm and can throw about 70-75 yards.

SUU has 8 starters on Offense and 7 on defense returning, and they nearly beat San Jose State last year and man handled Cal Poly and UC Davis. This is a good program but if we play great, we can win.

So there is some thing to chew on.

JACKGUYII
08-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Why is this?

I think part of the slow starts of late is the aggressive schedule rather than ramp up slowly against more talented teams. Stig complained about this recently and is advocating not playing so many tough games earlier in the season especially when you have a FBS game and the tought MVC schedule. Goal is to get to the playoffs. Realize it's difficult to get non-conference FCS teams to travel, but appears coach is looking for new approach.

goon
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
With out going back to look at exact years( I am at work), Were there not a couple years of starting 0-3 or a couple losses to start the year yet finish with a good winning record? I know if you play hard teams to start your going to lose some. I know we have discussed previously to make the playoffs and win you need to play good teams and win. It goes both ways, the more good teams you play, the harder it is to win 7 or 8 games. I would love to see a way to get 6 home games during the year.

sfjacksfan99
08-31-2011, 08:31 AM

President's Bowl in Sioux Falls Saturday night won't help. The weather will and hopefully students don't pack their bags after only a week in school just because it's a 3 day weekend.

I would be disappointed to not see 13,000.

AugieJackFan
08-31-2011, 09:00 AM
#8 Augie vs #1 and national chap UM Duluth should be a full house too. That won't help attendance. I was going back and forth on Augie or the Jacks and decided on Augie. Will be watching the Jack's game on JR Extra at night.

RowdyRabbit
08-31-2011, 09:27 AM
President's Bowl in Sioux Falls Saturday night won't help. The weather will and hopefully students don't pack their bags after only a week in school just because it's a 3 day weekend.

I would be disappointed to not see 13,000.

And the State Fair. And Lifelight.

I'll be in CAS though, thank you very much.

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
And the State Fair. And Lifelight.

I'll be in CAS though, thank you very much.

I will be there too. No Augie game or bible belt revival (Lifelight)would ever pull me away from CAS.

KUlawJack
08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
I will be there too. No Augie game or bible belt revival (Lifelight)would ever pull me away from CAS.

Quoted for truth.

jackmd
08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Quoted for truth with the addition of "no high school game that didn't include one of my children." If you call yourself a Jackrabbit fan and you aren't at CAS on Saturday you need to reevaluate your priorities or consider a different label for yourself.

goon
08-31-2011, 10:27 AM
There are excuses for many people, but really to support the program, every game is important to build that base support. And frankly it is more fun and better game then any other options out there IMO.

KUlawJack
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
There are excuses for many people, but really to support the program, every game is important to build that base support. And frankly it is more fun and better game then any other options out there IMO.

There are only five home games in a season. As soon as the schedule comes out, I mark it down so my wife knows not to even think of planning something those weekends. I planned my wedding last fall around our football schedule. Additionally, I would have no problem skipping someone else's wedding if they decided to get married on an SDSU home game. Selfish? Maybe. Would they even miss me? Highly doubtful.

rjacks21
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I just checked on gojacks.com and as of now you can pretty much pick your seat on the east side.

The East Side seems to be more for the walk up crowd traditionally (outside of Hobo Day). It doesn't appear that there is a GA ticket available anymore with South endzone now being reserved for the band and overflow student seating. I wonder if that will hurt attendance at all?

jackrabbit1979
08-31-2011, 11:15 AM
One question from audience was: Compared to last year, how does our over all speed compare? We are much slower this year with exceptions.

This surprises me that Stig came out and said that...as I look at the skill positions, I don't see how we could be "much slower"

RB - We are definitely faster
WR - We basically return last years group, with I assume Trevor T replacing Tyrel - so we shouldn't lose any speed there.
TE - I'm guessing that Daughters is just as fast as Cochart, but that would just be a guess
QB - same occupant = slow last year, slow this year.

DL - Same DE's with the addition of Peete playing a more prominent role. I would think he would bring some speed to the end.
LB - Losing Domino will hurt, i think he was fast enough and lenthgy enough to have to avoid playing a nickel at times because he was that good in pass coverage. But overall, I don't think seeing more of Tracy, Feller, or Kilgore and company would slow us down much.
DB - This maybe the one area where we will miss the speed/skill of Brodie and Jeske.

There are places where we may be missing a speed/skill guy from last year, but I wouldn't have thought our overall team speed is much slower. Obviously Stig knows better than us though - I hope we have good schemes in place to make up the difference.

goon
08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
There are only five home games in a season. As soon as the schedule comes out, I mark it down so my wife knows not to even think of planning something those weekends. I planned my wedding last fall around our football schedule. Additionally, I would have no problem skipping someone else's wedding if they decided to get married on an SDSU home game. Selfish? Maybe. Would they even miss me? Highly doubtful.

That was a stipulation when my wife and I got married. We can marry in Oct, if no sdsu games. Also for the honeymoon too. I year I missed a game because of my sisters wedding. It was when Davis played in SF. I almost got a way to get to part of the game but they knew i would be late so I couldnt go. When I took my current job, I made sure weekend rotation fits around sdsu games.

NoVaJack
08-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I cant speak for Goon, but in 2009 we started out with a 4-1 season and we lost 2 games in a row towards the end, SIU and U of Minnesota. So maybe that is an exception in slow starts, but sometimes its been because we were out matched in talent such 2006 when we stumbled and lost to LaCrossee, not a talent gap, Montana and UNI and then turned around with wins at Nichols State and McNeese, so you can use the media guide and past scores and argue both ways.

I will share a few things I picked up at the Difference Makers meeting.

This year's team has no "star" as evidenced no picks in the preseason all star teams. Just ask Emory what's his name, he is not impressed and picked us 8th place finish in MVFBC. Its a year were new people will have to step up. One question from audience was: Compared to last year, how does our over all speed compare? We are much slower this year with exceptions. Tyrell Kool is much quicker than Kyle Minnett, and they will run plays to exploit this ability. Plays that were not run last year.
Trevor Tiefentaler has not dropped a pass in spring or fall camp, and has by far been the most disciplined in running routes.

So there are some positives and not every thing that happen in camp was discussed. Moss was mentioned and Coach Stig said he found him in the lounge on Sunday Morning studying film for learning how he could be a better player. Its amazing how quick he has learned and there is a great deal to learn.

The two UNO players are going to be a plus. The punter is enrolled only for the fall semester and will return to UNO to practice teach and get his teaching creditials. Both are good kids according to Stig, Hettinger came close to making it as a starter. Although a defensive player, he has a throwing arm and can throw about 70-75 yards.

SUU has 8 starters on Offense and 7 on defense returning, and they nearly beat San Jose State last year and man handled Cal Poly and UC Davis. This is a good program but if we play great, we can win.

So there is some thing to chew on.

MUCH slower? That is concerning to say the least.

goon
08-31-2011, 11:30 AM
This surprises me that Stig came out and said that...as I look at the skill positions, I don't see how we could be "much slower"

WR - We basically return last years group, with I assume Trevor T replacing Tyrel - so we shouldn't lose any speed there.
TE - I'm guessing that Daughters is just as fast as Cochart, but that would just be a guess

DL - Same DE's with the addition of Peete playing a more prominent role. I would think he would bring some speed to the end.
LB - Losing Domino will hurt, i think he was fast enough and lenthgy enough to have to avoid playing a nickel at times because he was that good in pass coverage. But overall, I don't think seeing more of Tracy, Feller, or Kilgore and company would slow us down much.
DB - This maybe the one area where we will miss the speed/skill of Brodie and Jeske.

There are places where we may be missing a speed/skill guy from last year, but I wouldn't have thought our overall team speed is much slower. Obviously Stig knows better than us though - I hope we have good schemes in place to make up the difference.

We looked slow at times last year compared to previous years IMO. Maybe the effort or excitement on the side line was not there either. My mom even noticed the team didnt look fired up to play. We have been burnt by teams with good speed, so hopefully your right, I dont really see us slower at most postions, but we were a relatively slow team IMO.

NoVaJack
08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
That was a stipulation when my wife and I got married. We can marry in Oct, if no sdsu games. Also for the honeymoon too. I year I missed a game because of my sisters wedding. It was when Davis played in SF. I almost got a way to get to part of the game but they knew i would be late so I couldnt go. When I took my current job, I made sure weekend rotation fits around sdsu games.

You, sir, are a fan. Rep points.

goon
08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
You, sir, are a fan. Rep points.

Just doing what I feel all jacks fans would do. My wife knows the importance of having season tickets so we have those, will have my son in his first game wearing his "my first sdsu football game" onsie. He typically has a melt down and cries and screams from around 7-9 at night. so if any one hears crying and the team is not getting their butts kicked, it is him trying to channel his crabby pants into chearing for the jacks.

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 12:23 PM

Maybe my useage of "much" might have been an overstatement. In making that comment, I believe Stig was taking into account all 95 guys on the squad and comparing to the same tests that they ran this year and last.

Reminds me of President Clinton and his argurment of denial based on conclusion of meaning of "is". (I am still trying to figure that one out.)

I agree with your assessment, and also he mentioned we dont have someone with the same quickness to replace Cole Brodie at CB, or two years ago Konrad Kjerstad. Both played their position in an excellent fashion. What I took away from this meeting was that Stig was as upbeat as he ever was about beating SUU, and he doubted that SUU changed any schemes and they were doing the game plan based on last years videos. Yes there are different schemes which I mentioned in my original post, ones designed to use Tyrell Kool's quickness at running back and these plays would have been a disaster if Minnett was still in the backfield. This was what Stig told us. Minnett was not a bolt of lightning, my words, but had ways of working around defenders for extra yardage. Minnett's numbers speak for themselves.

I think the bottom line is that there are a lot of new faces whose time as come to step up and show what they can do. Tief might be one of those who really shines if he can continue his streak of completed passes. TOB I believe he said has made progress in assessing the damage from making a turnover and apparently has made fewer of them in practice. Also Austin Sumner is not ready mentally to step in unless an injury occurs to TOB. He is number two and will be forced into action.

Kemo
08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Coach Stig's "we have no stars" mantra that has been appearing throughout much of the preseason seems to be getting some Jackrabbit fans nervous about the talent level of this year's team, but we need to take a step back and understand who that message is really directed towards, and that is the players themselves.

Last year the Jackrabbits came into the season with 4 players (Minett, Domino, McKnight, and Brodie) who were carrying all sorts of preseason accolades, and while those players did live up to their billing, other players failed to step up which coincided with a losing record. This just shows that if everyone isn't doing their "1/11", the team will falter, and the "no stars" statement is meant to get the players to buy back into the philosophy that has been so successful over the years with less "physically gifted" players. There is plenty of talent on this team, they just need to play better as a whole than they did last year.

Trust me, there are plenty of stars on this team, the coaches just don't want them to outshine the team as a whole.

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Coach Stig's "we have no stars" mantra that has been appearing throughout much of the preseason seems to be getting some Jackrabbit fans nervous about the talent level of this year's team, but we need to take a step back and understand who that message is really directed towards, and that is the players themselves.

Last year the Jackrabbits came into the season with 4 players (Minett, Domino, McKnight, and Brodie) who were carrying all sorts of preseason accolades, and while those players did live up to their billing, other players failed to step up which coincided with a losing record. This just shows that if everyone isn't doing their "1/11", the team will falter, and the "no stars" statement is meant to get the players to buy back into the philosophy that has been so successful over the years with less "physically gifted" players. There is plenty of talent on this team, they just need to play better as a whole than they did last year.

Trust me, there are plenty of stars on this team, the coaches just don't want them to outshine the team as a whole. Also one of the incoming classes had a bunch leave the program. I would think they would be Juniors this year. I remember asking TV about this in a chat and he said something to the affect that this would eventually hurt the program. No doubt it has.

Good points made and rep pts given. I am sure Coach Stig is looking for ways to motivate his people. Thats what we are paying for.

Theee Catrabbit
08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Also one of the incoming classes had a bunch leave the program. I would think they would be Juniors this year. I remember asking TV about this in a chat and he said something to the affect that this would eventually hurt the program. No doubt it has.

Good points made and rep pts given. I am sure Coach Stig is looking for ways to motivate his people. Thats what we are paying for.

You get more players and you keep on trucking.....no excuses, get those younger guys ready and let them play 4 years, bet they aren't complaining about it. Damn, these discussions are getting old, I want to see some fool's ball dammit!!!!!!

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
You get more players and you keep on trucking.....no excuses, get those younger guys ready and let them play 4 years, bet they aren't complaining about it. Damn, these discussions are getting old, I want to see some fool's ball dammit!!!!!!

Obviously they have gotten those players and I for one am not making excuses. If these discussions are getting old then go to work and do the the things your employer is paying to do and stop wasting his time.

Theee Catrabbit
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Obviously they have gotten those players and I for one am not making excuses. If these discussions are getting old then go to work and do the the things your employer is paying to do and stop wasting his time.

Hey...are you in my office?:) Fortunately my employer get's more than he pays for with me, despite my little forays onto the Jacks forums, a good friend of mine once said if we got fired for surfing the internet, the whole country would be unemployed.....and I was merely expressing I really want the football season to start......

goon
08-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Hey...are you in my office?:) Fortunately my employer get's more than he pays for with me, despite my little forays onto the Jacks forums, a good friend of mine once said if we got fired for surfing the internet, the whole country would be unemployed.....and I was merely expressing I really want the football season to start......

So I am not the only one at work who is checks here? Hope I.T. never audits how many times i click on this site...unless they are also an SDSU fan, then I wont worry.

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Okay guys, I am retired so can do pretty much what I want to. I notice that some people post a number of replies etc during the hours of eight to five. And yes I robbed my employer too on several occasions. I mis-read Theee Catrabbit message and I agree Saturday can't come soon enough.

Theee Catrabbit
08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
So I am not the only one at work who is checks here? Hope I.T. never audits how many times i click on this site...unless they are also an SDSU fan, then I wont worry.

goon, the first point of business is always make friends with the I.T. guy....or work for a company(like mine)that has one I.T. guy(but still make friends with him as I have) spread so thin the only way they'll ever audit you is if the the President of the company were to say please audit this "one guy", and if that's the case they were looking for a way to get rid of you anyways so what is the difference? On the other note, I don't think I work for hard asses in that respect, and I don't go after my employees when they are on the interwebs either. As long as I get my job done, not much they can do to you, because in a court of law you could have all records pulled up and then they would have to "can" everybody. But anyways I digress Jack 27, T-chickens 24

EQguy
08-31-2011, 08:46 PM

You know, for someone that threw a fit a few years ago about an Ole and Lena Joke you sure have no problem poking fun at others.

That being said, if my son is healthy enough to go we will be there.

Nidaros
08-31-2011, 09:15 PM
You know, for someone that threw a fit a few years ago about an Ole and Lena Joke you sure have no problem poking fun at others.

That being said, if my son is healthy enough to go we will be there. ++++++++++++++++, I am even going to give you rep pts for reminding me.

LakeJack
08-31-2011, 10:05 PM
http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=205264463

AugieJackFan
08-31-2011, 10:30 PM

You are just a mean grumpy old man Nidaros.

jackrabbit1979
08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/427275.pdf?ATCLID=205264463&SPSID=64624&SPID=7153&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000

Link to this week's press release - depth chart for week 1 included. A couple things that jumped out at me:

* Zach Bowers isn't included on the defensive depth chart at all - any idea what is up?

* Offensive line - which has been praised as our most solid unit, will start 3 sophomores and 2 juniors

* Zenner is listed as the 2nd RB, with Clare and Winterboer slashed behind him

* Bo Helm (CB) and Skylar Luxa (SS) look to have earned starting spots next to Wise and Wright in the defensive backfield.

* I'm kind of surprised not to see Dom Wright listed on the depth chart at WR or returning punts or kicks?

jacks1
08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/427275.pdf?ATCLID=205264463&SPSID=64624&SPID=7153&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000

Link to this week's press release - depth chart for week 1 included. A couple things that jumped out at me:

* Zach Bowers isn't included on the defensive depth chart at all - any idea what is up?

* Offensive line - which has been praised as our most solid unit, will start 3 sophomores and 2 juniors

* Bo Helm (CB) and Skylar Luxa (SS) look to have earned starting spots next to Wise and Wright in the defensive backfield.

* I'm kind of surprised not to see Dom Wright listed on the depth chart at WR or returning punts or kicks?

--Bowers is suspended for week 1 due to a violation of team rules.

--Clare is battling a hamstring injury...but Zenner could have very well been #2 regardless.

--I'm kinda surprised to see Helm at CB...I always thought of him as a Safety.

Nidaros
09-01-2011, 12:10 AM
You are just a mean grumpy old man Nidaros.

Thanks and I give you rep pts too.

jackmd
09-01-2011, 09:24 AM

--Clare is battling a hamstring injury...but Zenner could have very well been #2 regardless.

--I'm kinda surprised to see Helm at CB...I always thought of him as a Safety.

My understanding is that Zenner has been #2 since early in fall camp. In fact, maybe #1 and 1/2....

SpeedRabbit
09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

--I'm kinda surprised to see Helm at CB...I always thought of him as a Safety. Helm at corner is a huge surprise! Tells me again we are not solid there as he was playing safety for quite a bit of fall camp.

joeboo22
09-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Helm is the type of guy that you want on the field. Yeah he is more of a safety then a corner but I think he can survive there.

From the sounds of things both LB and WR could be a long game of musical chairs. Could go from seeing the field to not being on the traveling squad the following week if you don't do well.

jacksfaninne
09-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Per TV tweet (http://twitter.com/#%21/TerryVandrovec): Early crowd estimate for Saturday's SDSU vs. Southern Utah game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium from the SDSU ticket office: 11,000 to 12,000.

sfjacksfan99
09-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Per TV tweet (http://twitter.com/#%21/TerryVandrovec): Early crowd estimate for Saturday's SDSU vs. Southern Utah game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium from the SDSU ticket office: 11,000 to 12,000. Saw that too. A little ligher than I would have hoped, but we were screaming for a home game opening weekend, so amen to that.No idea what to expect in the game. Defense needs to get off the field on 3rd down and force turnovers. This was lacking last year. We know what the offense needs to do and it starts with the guy under center.How about jacks in OT to start the year, 33-30.

JimmyJack
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I suspect they're just being conservative with that estimate. There is no shortage of interest among the students I have encountered this week.

RabbitObsessed
09-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I suspect they're just being conservative with that estimate. There is no shortage of interest among the students I have encountered this week.

Agreed. Everyone I talked to is going.

The Sports Block
09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
- Southern Utah Head Coach Ed Lamb joined the Sports Block (ksdjradio.com and 90.7 FM in the Brookings Area) on August 29th, 2011 to preview their season opener vs. South Dakota State on Sept. 3rd in Brookings.
http://www.archive.org/details/SouthernUtahHeadCoachEdLamb

- SDSU head football coach John Stiegelmeier joins the Sports Block with Nathan, Travis and Charlie to preview the season and look ahead to Southern Utah on Sept. 3rd. ksdjradio.com and 90.7 FM in the Brookings, SD area.
http://www.archive.org/details/CoachStigAugust31st2011

(http://www.archive.org/details/SouthernUtahHeadCoachEdLamb)

Nidaros
09-01-2011, 01:24 PM
- Southern Utah Head Coach Ed Lamb joined the Sports Block (ksdjradio.com and 90.7 FM in the Brookings Area) on August 29th, 2011 to preview their season opener vs. South Dakota State on Sept. 3rd in Brookings.
http://www.archive.org/details/SouthernUtahHeadCoachEdLamb

- SDSU head football coach John Stiegelmeier joins the Sports Block with Nathan, Travis and Charlie to preview the season and look ahead to Southern Utah on Sept. 3rd. ksdjradio.com and 90.7 FM in the Brookings, SD area.
http://www.archive.org/details/CoachStigAugust31st2011

(http://www.archive.org/details/SouthernUtahHeadCoachEdLamb)

Interesting that Ed Lamb almost made it to the SDSU coaching staff a few years back. He seems like a real coach and would have been a real compliement to our program.

KUlawJack
09-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Agreed. Everyone I talked to is going.

That is what I like to hear. When I was a freshman a decade ago, lots of kids didn't go. Its good to hear about a buzz around campus.

EDIT: Just realized its been a decade since I started at SDSU. Not cool.

goon
09-01-2011, 02:03 PM
That is what I like to hear. When I was a freshman a decade ago, lots of kids didn't go. Its good to hear about a buzz around campus.

When I started school in 2000, I couldnt beleive how bad attendance was some games. I was in the marching band and some "big games" like USD would be disapointing. A lot of friends had no desire to go, some didnt really know when games were. I felt that was completly unexceptable. How some people experience hobo day just like every other weekend. Get trashed the friday night, sleep all day saturday and eat some left over cold pizza and then go out again saturday and think it was the greatest hobo day ever. The parade and game is what made the day so special but so many students for years never cared to experience it. I always found that sad. I will say lately student attdence is better for football, basketball it stinks compared to when I was a freshman IMO.

RabbitObsessed
09-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Good lord I'm jacked for this Saturday. Someone posted the 2008 intro video in TV's chat today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT5jgyA9o1A&feature=fvst) and now I'm ready to go. Saturday night cannot come soon enough. I want to start drinking now. Alas, school, work, yada yada yada.

;)

MontanaRabbit
09-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Decade for me too......yikes!

NoVaJack
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Wait 'til you guys start thinking in quarters of centuries

Theee Catrabbit
09-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Just a decade?:)

JackrabbitGuy
09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm predicting a solid but slightly up and down performance. 24 - 17 Jacks in a game not as close as the score indicates.

MontanaRabbit
09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Wait 'til you guys start thinking in quarters of centuries

Give me roughly 15 years.

91jack
09-02-2011, 09:37 AM
When I started school in 2000, I couldnt beleive how bad attendance was some games. I was in the marching band and some "big games" like USD would be disapointing. A lot of friends had no desire to go, some didnt really know when games were. I felt that was completly unexceptable. How some people experience hobo day just like every other weekend. Get trashed the friday night, sleep all day saturday and eat some left over cold pizza and then go out again saturday and think it was the greatest hobo day ever. The parade and game is what made the day so special but so many students for years never cared to experience it. I always found that sad. I will say lately student attdence is better for football, basketball it stinks compared to when I was a freshman IMO.

I know that this is a little thread drift but this year is set up about as good as it could be for attendance. The early games are usually the the ones when the fans show up. The weather is nice and you have the Cereal Bowl, Beef Bowl and Hall of Fame Game. That includes UNI this year. You know that NDSU will be a big crowd. Hobo Day is the last game. Will that be enough to bring out the fans. Of course, it depends on the weather. It is against Southern Illinois so the game could mean a lot. The only better schedule would be if it was USD or NDSU in November.

I think the main thing with fans is if you are winning or not. Football had many down years and basketball was winning titles. When basketball starts winning, the fans will be back. In football, the weather could scare off some fans even if they are winning but that doesn't happen in basketball.

I think the Jacks will win this game. I do think Southern Utah will give them all they can handle though. The home field advantage will be the difference. Jacks 23-20.
My prediction will always revolve around the QB play though. 1 INT or less and SDSU should win (minus Illinois) and 3 or more and they will lose. I'm guessing that being a starter for about 2 full seasons will have TOB finally getting over his turnover problems.

JimmyJack
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm sure this will be a tough game. Even back in the Great West days when SUU sucked, they were pretty physical. Says something about FB in that region. If we win the turnover battle, we win the game easily. If not... well, I don't want to think about that.

Jacks 27
T-Birds 17

goon
09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Holy cow this is quiet around here with just over 24 hours before kick off. Last year the board was going nuts beacuse we had to wait a whole week before our first game of the year. This year it has not had as much excitement, or hype leading up to the first game IMO.

Anyway. Look for the O-line to dominate and new plays for Kool to run. I will be disapointed if i see a tight end shift to the strong side and run up the middle like we did all of last year. Look for WRs to be better this year and run better routes having another year in the system getting use to it. Hopefully TOB has figured out the INT bug that got him last year.

Lets see if the D-line can get pressure on the QB. I hope we can see some blitz packages to utilize the LBs we have. the LBs should be all over the place, way to talented of a group to not be a a game changer. The DBs will be young but there is talent there no doubt yet some good experince coming back which needs to step up with the guys gone from last year.

The special teams coverage I would expect to be good again, same with returns, kicking will look different, hope some one can step up and make a FG for crying out loud.

any way, I am stoaked for tomorrow. Even got my pre game day lucky undies on today. Wore yellow today for work, last year when I wore yellow to games SDSU lost, and when I wore blue then won. So I will only be wearing Blue to the game this year.

Its like college football is a drug and I am getting all excited waiting to get my fix tomorrow. just hope I dont crash and let down if we lose. which I dont think will happen.

The good guys 24
The other guys 17

smoothjack
09-02-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm excited for tomorrow as well as everybody else but I just think it's hard for people to find stuff to discuss before the first game. Next week, with a game under our belt, I'm sure the board will be hoppin (see what I did there?) again!

Holy cow this is quiet around here with just over 24 hours before kick off. Last year the board was going nuts beacuse we had to wait a whole week before our first game of the year. This year it has not had as much excitement, or hype leading up to the first game IMO.

Anyway. Look for the O-line to dominate and new plays for Kool to run. I will be disapointed if i see a tight end shift to the strong side and run up the middle like we did all of last year. Look for WRs to be better this year and run better routes having another year in the system getting use to it. Hopefully TOB has figured out the INT bug that got him last year.

Lets see if the D-line can get pressure on the QB. I hope we can see some blitz packages to utilize the LBs we have. the LBs should be all over the place, way to talented of a group to not be a a game changer. The DBs will be young but there is talent there no doubt yet some good experince coming back which needs to step up with the guys gone from last year.

The special teams coverage I would expect to be good again, same with returns, kicking will look different, hope some one can step up and make a FG for crying out loud.

any way, I am stoaked for tomorrow. Even got my pre game day lucky undies on today. Wore yellow today for work, last year when I wore yellow to games SDSU lost, and when I wore blue then won. So I will only be wearing Blue to the game this year.

Its like college football is a drug and I am getting all excited waiting to get my fix tomorrow. just hope I dont crash and let down if we lose. which I dont think will happen.

The good guys 24
The other guys 17

SpeedRabbit
09-02-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm excited for tomorrow as well as everybody else but I just think it's hard for people to find stuff to discuss before the first game. Next week, with a game under our belt, I'm sure the board will be hoppin (see what I did there?) again! The wind will be a big factor tomorrow night. 25-30 mph gusts

Jacked_Rabbit
09-02-2011, 11:45 PM
The line has been released and I'm actually a little bit surprised by the respect Vegas is giving us...

SDSU (-9) vs. SUU

RabbitObsessed
09-03-2011, 12:51 AM
The line has been released and I'm actually a little bit surprised by the respect Vegas is giving us...

SDSU (-9) vs. SUU

Never bet against your own team...but....

Damn that line looks good.

RunGopherRun
09-03-2011, 12:53 AM
First of all, good luck to the Jacks tomorrow. They are my third favorite team in Division I (Gophers are first and anyone who can beat the Badgers second.) I'm really excited to see what Zach Zenner will do in his career at SDSU. Let me tell you that you are all lucky to have an athlete like Zach at SDSU. I firmly believe - along with many others in the know - that if Jerry Kill would have been the coach at the U two years ago, Zenner could very possibly be a Gopher. Athletes like Zach don't come around very often. Thank Tim Brewster for dropping the ball on Zenner so he could be a Jack!!

Good luck! See you back in MN in a few years (I think that's Zenner's Sr. year, which scares me as a gopher fan!)

Bison Fan in NW MN
09-03-2011, 07:11 AM
No way SUU comes into CAS and wins today.

Jacks always play good defense and can run the ball...and stop the run.

Jacks: 28-10

SpeedRabbit
09-03-2011, 07:30 AM
No way SUU comes into CAS and wins today.

Jacks always play good defense and can run the ball...and stop the run.

Jacks: 28-10 Appreciate the confidence. Jacks to win in a nail biter. I personally am not worried bout their running game,its their QB that has me worried. Go Jacks

sfjacksfan99
09-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Wife says "Why are you listening to Ozzy Osbourne at 8 in the morning?" I smile. She says "ah yes, game day".

Damn right it's game day, let's do this!

BTW, I still like the Ozzy intro the best.

NoVaJack
09-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Wife says "Why are you listening to Ozzy Osbourne at 8 in the morning?" I smile. She says "ah yes, game day".

Damn right it's game day, let's do this!

BTW, I still like the Ozzy intro the best.

Sigh..... There was a time when Ozzy at 8 a.m. was appropriate even on non game day. Go Jacks!

Prairiehaas
09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Bolin at 8 AM was ok back then. My how life has changed. Back to today's game. Looking forward to a little pregame with the son and then some Jackrabbit Football. CSN prediction will be wrong again. Jacks run over the 'birds in the breeze to win by 7.

Kemo
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Kemo's Key Matchup:

Jacks' D-line versus Thunderbirds' O-line
Pressure is the key in this game for the Jacks, because when a good QB like Sorenson is allowed to get into a rhythm it can turn into a long night for a defense in a hurry. The Jacks' secondary is young and can't be expected to cover for extended periods of time, but they do have the relieve of facing off against a SUU receiving core that is just as unproven. SUU O-line returns all of their starters from a good unit last year, so the D-line of SDSU is going to need to channel their inter Dan Batten and do a better job at getting to the QB then they did last year.

jackdaniel
09-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Jacks at home, time for the team to show off a little for the home folks, kick some b*** Jacks and let's start the season right.....Go Jacks!

MinnJack
09-03-2011, 03:54 PM
The Collegian's Live Blog is back again this year. Hopefully some of you guys can join us throughout the years and thanks for reading.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/09/02/29221/

Rabbit3467
09-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Trying to log onto go jacks to get the video feed and I get this...

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with this site

Anyone else having problems?

Kemo
09-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Trying to log onto go jacks to get the video feed and I get this...

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with this site

Anyone else having problems?
Same here. The rage... it is building...

Danger41
09-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Me also...

rabidrabbit
09-03-2011, 06:53 PM
agreed. No Luck getting feed.

Rabbit3467
09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
agreed. No Luck getting feed.

Did u get it too work. if not try this link
http://www.gojacks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=15000&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=15000