Southern Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Utah

I enjoy reading about the food and all but lets start talking about Southern Utah. I know they are picked to win their conference but what do they have besides a good quarterback.

Re: Southern Utah

Well, they have enough going there that they won the Great West last year, and are favored as the top team again this year. There program has improved tremendously the last couple of years and they will be a tough challenge. Unfortunately, given the Jacks schedule in September, this is a VERY important game. How we play against this team will give us a good idea of how this year may go.

Comment

Saw on the AGS board that Football Gameplan made a preview video of the Jacks vs. SUU game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu3em...layer_embedded

Emory has been rough on us so far this preseason (pick us to finish 8th in the conference), so hopefully our boys can go out there and prove the doubters wrong.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

SUU returns 16 starters but lost it's top three receivers I believe. Hopefully, that will help our inexperienced secondary in game 1 before their QB Brad Sorenson and his new wideout's get a chance to really sync up. Here's a link to a quick team recap for Southern Utah from College Sporting News Great West preview:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/c...mpetitive-One&
        “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

This game reminds me a little of a couple years ago when we were welcoming a pretty salty Georgia Southern team to open the season. If memory (mine is pretty bad!) serves, we weren't sure what to expect of our Jackrabbits and Georgia Southern came with a pretty strong program, with lots of returnees and led by a pretty salty QB.

I don't remember the exact score, but I know we put up at least 40 on them and gave up a TD or two. I also think that was the start of a pretty good season. Hoping for a repeat, but will simply take a "W". Sorry I'm going to have to miss it. Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I think the two teams are fairly evenly matched due to different strengths and weaknesses. SDSU has the advantage of home field but the great disadvantage of uncertainty. Our O-line needs to take control of the los and keep SUU out of the backfield while we establish the run with Tyrel and Zenner (just what I'm hearing). If we can do that we'll move the ball, control the clock and should keep field position in our favor. However, none of us know for sure how special teams are going to pan out and that could be a huge factor.

SUU is going to gain yards through the air, no way around that. Jacks need to control the defensive LOS and get some pressure on their QB while limiting the passing game to short to mid yardage. Absolutely must have a positive turnover ratio and keep the penalties to a minimum.

Jackrabbits could win this one fairly handily (14 or more) but I'm guessing it's going to be closer than that. It will most likely come down to controlling the LOS, protecting the ball on offense, special teams and field position. I doubt one or two guys on either team are going to be the difference maker. If that does happen I'm afraid it won't be in SDSU's favor.

SDSU 31 SUU 24
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
              This game reminds me a little of a couple years ago when we were welcoming a pretty salty Georgia Southern team to open the season. If memory (mine is pretty bad!) serves, we weren't sure what to expect of our Jackrabbits and Georgia Southern came with a pretty strong program, with lots of returnees and led by a pretty salty QB.

I don't remember the exact score, but I know we put up at least 40 on them and gave up a TD or two. I also think that was the start of a pretty good season. Hoping for a repeat, but will simply take a "W". Sorry I'm going to have to miss it. Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!!
              I think that game is a pretty good comparison, although I think SUU is a better team than Georgia Southern was that year. Honestly, SDSU could win by 20 or lose by 20 and I wouldn't be shocked either way. If TOB plays a good game with no turnovers I think the Jacks win by a 7-10 point margin.
              “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
                I think that game is a pretty good comparison, although I think SUU is a better team than Georgia Southern was that year. Honestly, SDSU could win by 20 or lose by 20 and I wouldn't be shocked either way. If TOB plays a good game with no turnovers I think the Jacks win by a 7-10 point margin.
                I would be shocked if we lost by 20 at home. Our O and D lines have to control the line of scrimmage. If we can do that and not throw any picks I like our chances.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                  I would be shocked if we lost by 20 at home. Our O and D lines have to control the line of scrimmage. If we can do that and not throw any picks I like our chances.
                  I think that's what surprised me about the Georgia Southern game a few years ago. We knew that they had some great athletes at the skill positions and they were incredibly quick on the outside, but our O/D lines controlled that game without a doubt from beginning to end in that game (and a majority of that whole season) and that is what lead to our success.

Hoping for the same Saturday and ALL YEAR!!!

Comment

Might sound like a broken record, but we need to control the lines of scrimmage and reduce turnovers to be successful. That's what it's all about. I would like to think we aren't going to get blown out, but I hoped the same thing against Delaware and Illinois State last year, too, and...well, we know how those games went. I think this is a huge, huge game. Win it, and we are off to a good start. Lose it and see the return of the turnover factory, and the odds of a record above .500 are slim, in my opinion. We'll know about the entire season, I suspect, by 9 Saturday night.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

This isn't the SUU of an SDSU championship era GWFC. This will be a tough game. Jacks definitely need to act cohesively, and like the hungary team that they are. Let's get 2011 season off to a perfect 1-0 start.

Comment

Still have my two (2) extra tickets in Section J, Row 22 if anyone is interested.

Otherwise I'll be the guy walking the parking lot holding up two fingers, LOL. Big time football!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                          Might sound like a broken record, but we need to control the lines of scrimmage and reduce turnovers to be successful. That's what it's all about. I would like to think we aren't going to get blown out, but I hoped the same thing against Delaware and Illinois State last year, too, and...well, we know how those games went. I think this is a huge, huge game. Win it, and we are off to a good start. Lose it and see the return of the turnover factory, and the odds of a record above .500 are slim, in my opinion. We'll know about the entire season, I suspect, by 9 Saturday night.
                          Having seen the Delaware game last year I think there are three opening game keys: QB confidence and play; tempo; and crowd support. The first two were definitely lacking in that opener last year, and the third was not a factor because of the distance. Season trends and themes are set from that very first kickoff, and the fact that it is at home should not be a wasted statement opportunity for the team AND the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            Big time
                            Slappin da bass.

Sorry I have no idea why it made me think of that movie quote. It might be lack of sleep from having a 6 week old. Conincidently, we are section J row 21.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Dont forget this team under stig typically has slow starts to the season. For what ever reason, it probably will want to start winning the first few games of the year. just like we did when we went to the play offs.

If the O line lets Kool run, we will be fine, just need TOB to connect on timing with the WR to give them a better chance. I think our LB will be able to blitz and change formations to keep their QB guessing enough so he doesnt get comfortable trying to pick apart our inexperienced (yet I think talented) secondary.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X