UNI fan needs info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI fan needs info

It's official! My son and I got the OK from THE BOSS to make the trip to Brookings and CAS on October 15th. We'll be leaving Iowa Saturday morning and arriving around 2 or 3 PM depending on stops etc. Staying Saturday night and leaving early Sunday.

1. Need a good place to stay in the area.
    2. Needs suggestions on where to eat and imbibe in adult beverages.
    3. Any other relevant game info I may need to know.

Let me know if it's OK for us to stop by your tailgate (give me a location) and say hi and talk football before the game. Looking forward to my first visit to CAS and getting to know as many of you as I can. Oh, and there will be a good football game that day too!

Re: UNI fan needs info

You HAVE to eat a nicks burger. Being a college town there are many establishments that serve adult beverages. You will have to specify a atmosphere type, then we can make a more informed suggestion. What do you like? Beer or Mixed drinks? I would suggest the fairfeild, Holiday inn express, Super 8, or the Comfort inn. Cheaper rooms can be had, but you will get what you pay for. Come hang out at tailgating, you find out most of the SDSU fans are quite friendly (although the undergrads can get a little crazy, it's usual not in such a bad way)

Comment

The alumni association has a tent with food and drink for a small donation and I believe it is open to all (I've seen other teams fans there before) and it's usually as good a deal as you can get for food just before the game. 89Rabbit on here can give you more details. It would be a good option so you would not have to drag much tailgating items with you.

I think that you'll find Brookings is a fantastic time and a nice college town.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Cat View Post
        It's official! My son and I got the OK from THE BOSS to make the trip to Brookings and CAS on October 15th. We'll be leaving Iowa Saturday morning and arriving around 2 or 3 PM depending on stops etc. Staying Saturday night and leaving early Sunday. 1. Need a good place to stay in the area.2. Needs suggestions on where to eat and imbibe in adult beverages.3. Any other relevant game info I may need to know. Let me know if it's OK for us to stop by your tailgate (give me a location) and say hi and talk football before the game. Looking forward to my first visit to CAS and getting to know as many of you as I can. Oh, and there will be a good football game that day too!
        1. All the hotels out by the interstate are good places to stay. The hotels on the east side will be a little newer and may be a better option if you're picky.

2. Nicks hamburgers is its own little place. Think really good greasy burgers. I'm not sure you'll have time to get there if you're coming in at 3 with tailgating and the game. For drinks, Cubby's is where I would start. Cubby's has food and drinks and tons of TVs. It will be busy and full though. I'm assuming you're a little older so Id stay away from the 9 unless you want to be the creepy old guy. I'm 25 and I feel old there. All the decent bars are downtown and you can wander around. Some will be run down college bars and some are nicer. Typical college town. There are two new pubs in town that just opened, but I haven't had a chance to get there yet.

3. I won't be able to make the game so someone else will have to help you out.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

First, that weekend is the opener for pheasant season so hotel rooms may not be available, start checking now.

Skinners is an excellent place with a large beer selection and liquor. Younger crowd but some locals as well. Ray's pub holds more locals. I personally like O'Hares, very small, great food and reasonable price on appetizers. After the game you need to grab a slice of pizza from Georges, they sell it right on the street/sidewalk. Jim's Tap is something everyone should experience while in Brookings. Get a Guinness there. I stay away from the 9 and Sully's, just not my type of crowds. Everyone is smoke free now which is nice.

We always welcome guests at the Yankton Jackrabbit tailgate site, we are located just north of the Dykehouse center in the Backyard, middle row, second site. You won't be able to park in the lot as it is by season permit only but there are plenty of gameday lots you can park in. Not sure when I will arrive as pheasant hunting will take priority for many of our tailgate crew. However, there will be some there and I will make them aware of the invite.

Hope you can find a hotel room. Pheasant numbers will be down this fall due to the hard winter and wet spring but the opener still brings close to 100,000 hunters to the state. Hotel rooms are a premium that weekend. Welcome and have fun.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Skinners is an excellent place with a large beer selection and liquor. Younger crowd but some locals as well. Ray's pub holds more locals. I personally like O'Hares, very small, great food and reasonable price on appetizers. After the game you need to grab a slice of pizza from Georges, they sell it right on the street/sidewalk. Jim's Tap is something everyone should experience while in Brookings. Get a Guinness there. I stay away from the 9 and Sully's, just not my type of crowds. Everyone is smoke free now which is nice.
            Now you're making me feel old; I enjoy the exact same bars. Skinners and Jim's are a must. Avoid the 9 at all costs. Get George's pizza. Great advice from MD here.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I have a cabin 20 minutes from Brookings that I rent out part time. www.poinsettcabin.com I'll send you a private message as well.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                The alumni association has a tent with food and drink for a small donation and I believe it is open to all (I've seen other teams fans there before) and it's usually as good a deal as you can get for food just before the game. 89Rabbit on here can give you more details. It would be a good option so you would not have to drag much tailgating items with you.

I think that you'll find Brookings is a fantastic time and a nice college town.
                The Alumni Association Tailgate Tent presented by First Bank and Trust is usually for Alumni and Friends of SDSU, but we have been known to invite the visitors in for a burger, beverage, and SDSU ice cream. We would be happy to have Big Cat and his family as our guests. He can't miss us we will still be the biggest tent in the "Backyard".

Go State!

Comment

Thanks, everyone for the help and suggestions. You all were correct in hotel availability. Pheasant season caused a low availability and a high price. The travel sites only listed 3 available and one was Days Inn which I usually try to avoid. The other two were over $120 a night, I assume due to low availability. I went to the Choice Hotels site and booked the Comfort Inn for what I feel is a reasonable rate. I hope it's a decent hotel. Nick's sounds like my kind of place. We'll definitely check it out. Look forward to meeting and greeting as many Jacks fans as we can. Go Jacks! Go Panthers!

Comment

Thanks, everyone for the help and suggestions. You all were correct in hotel availability. Pheasant season caused a low availability and a high price. The travel sites only listed 3 available and one was Days Inn which I usually try to avoid. The other two were over $120 a night, I assume due to low availability. I went to the Choice Hotels site and booked the Comfort Inn for what I feel is a reasonable rate. I hope it's a decent hotel. Nick's sounds like my kind of place. We'll definitely check it out. Look forward to meeting and greeting as many Jacks fans as we can. Go Jacks! Go Panthers!
                    Lets just keep it with Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                      Lets just keep it with Go Jacks!
                      Fair enough. It is YOUR board after all.

Comment

I agree with you tailgatr, but this guys seems like a nice guy. Even though the UNI players are normally a bunch of thugs, their fans seem to be real and nice.

Have fun Big Cat.

Comment

The Comfort Inn is okay, it's pretty clean.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
                            I agree with you tailgatr,
                            Talking to yourself?
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Sorry, Speedrabbit, I was agreeing with you. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                              X