PDA

View Full Version : Moss?

Rabbitden
08-23-2011, 06:26 AM
"The Tampa Bay Bucs had a scout at SDSU football practice Monday, which begs the
question: What player is getting the most pro interest so far? Dale Moss,
believe it or not. Yes, the converted basketball player from Brandon Valley
impressed scouts last spring and is on the NFL radar five years after last
playing football." from TV's Tuesday Tidbits.

Who was it that said Moss had no chance and shouldn't be taking time away from players that have worked hard for 4 years to play? Talent is talent, will it make a difference? Who knows but it is one more person the other teams "D" will have to worry about.

KUlawJack
08-23-2011, 08:32 AM
"The Tampa Bay Bucs had a scout at SDSU football practice Monday, which begs the

Who was it that said Moss had no chance and shouldn't be taking time away from players that have worked hard for 4 years to play? Talent is talent, will it make a difference? Who knows but it is one more person the other teams "D" will have to worry about.

Great post.

Theee Catrabbit
08-23-2011, 09:19 AM

I think I know who it was, and everybody has a right to their own opinion. I for one, was pro-Dale on the team. He's athletic and emotional, something the team needs.(and I think he wants one more chance to try and beat NDSU before he leaves school, IMO) I'm starting to get pumped.

ghomestead1
08-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Also believe that it was said by someone, who has a particular love for a certain player and would be afraid that Dale would take time away from this individual.

ringthebells
08-23-2011, 12:54 PM
That's awesome! The more time pro scouts spend on campus, the better chance they may take an interest in other players as well.

shot_5533
08-24-2011, 09:39 AM
That's awesome! The more time pro scouts spend on campus, the better chance they may take an interest in other players as well.

Are the players better off (not counting a Danny Batten type) using their degree from SDSU or trying to make the NFL meat market?

Pre season practice fodder is exciting, but is it best for their long term careers? Two of the greatest O lineman I've seen play - Mitch Erickson and Ryan McKnight didn't make it. If they can't, the NFL is special. Was Adam Timmerman really better than Mitch Erickson?

On the other hand it is exciting as all get out to have NFL scouts in Brookings. For sure.

My vote is the more pro scouts in Brookings, the better the athletes the Jacks can recruit.

SDSUAlum08
08-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I think I know who it was, and everybody has a right to their own opinion. I for one, was pro-Dale on the team. He's athletic and emotional, something the team needs.(and I think he wants one more chance to try and beat NDSU before he leaves school, IMO) I'm starting to get pumped.

His swagger is what the basketball team is going to miss the most next year.

goon
08-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Moss has the ability more then anyone else on the team, besides maybe Kool, who can be a hame changer. Seems like something this team needs. and a QB who can find him would help. Moss only makes the rest of the WR better just by being on the field.

Jacked_Up
08-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Cool. I've been in the pro-Moss camp all along, too. I think it's great that he was willing to go out for another sport after using up his basketball eligibility. He's apparently having an impact, which is even better.

NoVaJack
08-24-2011, 05:52 PM

Not to deal in dampers and you may be proven correct. But practice is practice, games is games...

joeboo22
08-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm pro Dale Moss for the record. Was told by several people that if he had not verballed to SDSU for basketball before his senior year he could have gone Big-10/12 for football.

However just because pro-scouts are there doesn't mean he is going to be great. The pro's scout guys who have the ability to have a pro. You can have the best pitcher in South Dakota and if he doesn't clock 90 a pro scout won't look at him, you can have a so-so pitcher who touches 95+ and the pros will be there looking. Same with football if you have a great receiver who runs great routs and has great hands but if his verticle is small and his 40 speed is 4.6 he isn't going to get any pro looks. What Dale has is good speed, and a good vertical, plus a tall body with a long arms. Those translate to pro-potential, not a great receiver. If he can't run the right routs or go across the middle he won't help the team any.

CatchEmAll
08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
The ENTIRE scouting process for the NFL is based on POTENTIAL. See 95% of Heisman trophy winners who never pan out in the NFL.

What Moss has is athletic ability. You can't teach athletic ability. You can teach a guy with athletic ability football specific skills, if he chooses to be coachable.

Will be interesting to see the kind of season Moss has and how he gets used.

JackJD
08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Others have noted that pro scouts are constantly on the lookout for athletes. SDSU basketball players from the past have attracted NFL scouts. When I was a freshman at SDSU, basketball star Lee Colburn was a senior. I worked for the sports information director and occasionally came into contact with pro scouts because they'd come to our office seeking information on athletes. My memory is a little foggy on which team but I think it was the Cowboys who were very interested in Colburn. Colburn had big hands, could jump, was tall, had decent speed...tools the football scouts noticed. Colburn, however, was drafted by the NBA.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dale Moss get in a game and be a sparkplug like he often was on the hardcourt. Guy like that can change a game in a hurry.

Nidaros
08-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Others have noted that pro scouts are constantly on the lookout for athletes. SDSU basketball players from the past have attracted NFL scouts. When I was a freshman at SDSU, basketball star Lee Colburn was a senior. I worked for the sports information director and occasionally came into contact with pro scouts because they'd come to our office seeking information on athletes. My memory is a little foggy on which team but I think it was the Cowboys who were very interested in Colburn. Colburn had big hands, could jump, was tall, had decent speed...tools the football scouts noticed. Colburn, however, was drafted by the NBA.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dale Moss get in a game and be a sparkplug like he often was on the hardcourt. Guy like that can change a game in a hurry.

I love those Lee Colburn stories. He must have been at least 7 years younger than me and did not live next door so I did not know him personally, though we both grew up in BT. I was either in the service or working in LA when Lee played for the Jacks. Based on media guides and stories I heard from others I believe Lee was truly one of the greatest gifted athletes at SDSU as is Dale Moss. No question they both could do well in most sports offered at SDSU. ie Tennis. I enjoyed Dale on the court and am anxious to see what he can do on the field. Unfortuntely there will be game videos galour by the time we play the NDSU Bison, so the surprise element will not be there in that game, but a good match for the Bison secondary that has been mentioned in the media up north.

RowdyRabbit
08-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Will be interesting to see the kind of season Moss has and how he gets used.

I think it's not a coincidence that his last name is Moss. (Think Vikings, circa 1998).

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

SUPERBUNNY
08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
People in the football community talk. Pro scouts are in touch with coaches and other people in the college game just like the college coaches have their friends at the high school ranks and they are all looking to find a guy that can make a difference on their team.

Dale obviously has some football talent because I remember another thread where Mike Henrikson said that Dale was the best football player in South Dakota his last two years of high school.

I'm sure someone tipped of the guy from the Bucs and said you may want to check this guy out. Google Dale Moss dunk and you can relive all those classics from the hardwood. He is a special athlete for sure and if he has stickum hands he may have a future not only at CAS but possible in the pros.

I just hope he can really be an asset to the team. We can use a real weapon at WR. I remember that Ramses (sp?) guy from one of the Cal schools and Moss would be a very similar style athlete.

Let's get the season rolling! Can't wait!

SUPERBUNNY

sfjacksfan99
08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I think moss has "goal to go" situations written all over him. Without the power of minett inside the 10, a little play action or just a straight up lob pass to him could be very difficult for a 5'11" corner to stop. Now if the qb can put the throw in the right spot.

RowdyRabbit
08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
People in the football community talk. Pro scouts are in touch with coaches and other people in the college game just like the college coaches have their friends at the high school ranks and they are all looking to find a guy that can make a difference on their team.

Dale obviously has some football talent because I remember another thread where Mike Henrikson said that Dale was the best football player in South Dakota his last two years of high school.

I'm sure someone tipped of the guy from the Bucs and said you may want to check this guy out. Google Dale Moss dunk and you can relive all those classics from the hardwood. He is a special athlete for sure and if he has stickum hands he may have a future not only at CAS but possible in the pros.

I just hope he can really be an asset to the team. We can use a real weapon at WR. I remember that Ramses (sp?) guy from one of the Cal schools and Moss would be a very similar style athlete.

Let's get the season rolling! Can't wait!

SUPERBUNNY

Yes, Ramses Barden. Still with the Giants I believe. Can't believe he hasn't seen more time.

**UPDATE** I guess he broke his ankle last november, that's a portion of why he hasn't been on the field.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12555/ramses-barden

jackmd
08-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Yes, Ramses Barden. Still with the Giants I believe. Can't believe he hasn't seen more time.

**UPDATE** I guess he broke his ankle last november, that's a portion of why he hasn't been on the field.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12555/ramses-barden

Barden was unstoppable at the FCS level..........when he wanted to be.

Theee Catrabbit
08-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Barden was unstoppable at the FCS level..........when he wanted to be.

When you saw Ramses line up against our DB's, you just wondered how the hell were they going to stop him, he was a giant among men.

slosho
08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86T6CLhKOeU&NR=1

c (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86T6CLhKOeU&NR=1)ool deal there...

TailGatr
08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Seriously, people need to stop setting this kid up to fail. Don't get me wrong, he is a great athlete and one that may be able to help us this year but let's all hold off on the football accolades until he shows us what he has skill-wise. I think we were all shocked when he picked bb over fb and that was proven to be true as he was a very average bb player but to just think that he can get that back so fast is crazy. If he can, I will be the first to admit I was wrong. But if his athleticism can make a play or two in a game, I'll take it.

goon
08-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Very few players have the ability to be considered a game changer. Moss is one of the few. Its not like the SDSU football passing plays are that complex. learning a 10 yard out slant is not hard. If TOB has is eyes nailed to you expect the ball coming hard and late in the route. Running plays basketball ro football does not matter to me. He has the talent to do it and I would guess if TOB gets him the ball, most of us fans would be wishing he was a 2 sport athelet during his MBB career.

JACKGUYII
10-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Seriously, people need to stop setting this kid up to fail. Don't get me wrong, he is a great athlete and one that may be able to help us this year but let's all hold off on the football accolades until he shows us what he has skill-wise. I think we were all shocked when he picked bb over fb and that was proven to be true as he was a very average bb player but to just think that he can get that back so fast is crazy. If he can, I will be the first to admit I was wrong. But if his athleticism can make a play or two in a game, I'll take it.

Ready to admit your wrong? Coach Nagy says on twitter that He is fielding a steady stream of calls from NFL folks about Dale Moss. Patriots were the latest.

witness
10-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Ready to admit your wrong? Coach Nagy says on twitter that He is fielding a steady stream of calls from NFL folks about Dale Moss. Patriots were the latest. I saw that too. Makes you wonder why Moss didn't play the first two games. He clearly has been very very good this year even without playing for four years. Seems like the new NFL trend is to find WR/TE that are former basketball players that are tall and athletic. Jimmy Graham for the Saints is the latest. Played 4 years at Miami (FL) graduated in 4 years than played football in his 5th year. 3rd rounder and is clearly an up and coming TE.

JackJD
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
...Seems like the new NFL trend is to find WR/TE that are former basketball players that are tall and athletic....

Not a new trend at all. I recall a number of NFL scouts were interested in Lee Colburn, '73, one of the all-time great basketball players. Colburn was drafted by the NBA but many NFL teams were interested. Big hands that could catch; good speed; good acceleration; great leaping ability; smart and physically tough.

witness
10-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Not a new trend at all. I recall a number of NFL scouts were interested in Lee Colburn, '73, one of the all-time great basketball players. Colburn was drafted by the NBA but many NFL teams were interested. Big hands that could catch; good speed; good acceleration; great leaping ability; smart and physically tough. It may have happened before but the emphasis was on quick short WR but the new trend is tall wide receivers with amazing leaping ability. That is the new trend. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dez Bryant. Upcoming is Justin Blackmon and Alshon Jeffrey.

xrabbit
10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I saw that too. Makes you wonder why Moss didn't play the first two games. He clearly has been very very good this year even without playing for four years. Seems like the new NFL trend is to find WR/TE that are former basketball players that are tall and athletic. Jimmy Graham for the Saints is the latest. Played 4 years at Miami (FL) graduated in 4 years than played football in his 5th year. 3rd rounder and is clearly an up and coming TE.
The reason he didnt play the first two games is he didnt know the offense. He still doesnt know the offense. He messes up on half his routes but he can catch the ball.

witness
10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
The reason he didnt play the first two games is he didnt know the offense. He still doesnt know the offense. He messes up on half his routes but he can catch the ball. I'm talking more about like fade routes and slants but ok. Either way if he knows the offense or not he's still our number 1 reciever by far and I feel has a chance of getting drafted. One can only dream that he played 4 years of football instead of basketball.

Theee Catrabbit
10-23-2011, 07:39 AM
The reason he didnt play the first two games is he didnt know the offense. He still doesnt know the offense. He messes up on half his routes but he can catch the ball.

Makes me feel even worse about our players who do know the offense, and just how much more athletic he is. He probably would get a little faster when he isn't thinking about every move and things become more natural to him.
I think we also can put to rest on whether he deserves to play or not. IMO his leadership he shows is something this team needs. If I was another receiver, I'd be busting my a$$ even more and consider that I'm getting outperformed by a one year player.

Prairiehaas
10-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Success at this level takes good execution on the field, raw talent only goes so far. That, IMHO, has been the difference in the last two games played by SDSU. Luckily the team is young, Moss beng a significant exception, and will have time to learn to execute.

goon
11-12-2011, 10:34 AM
So on Terrys blog he mentioned a quote from Meadows calling Moss a novelty to a legitimate player. I guess I find it completely unacceptable that the coaching staff thought he was a novelty. If you dont think he is worth playing why bother having him on the team to start. It shows to me the coaching staff has been losing its ability to judge talent. Even in spring ball if his routes ran were not 100% perfect, his catching and atheltic ability should be enought to show he is worth playing. imagine if the coaches actually used him the first 2 games of the year. Probably the only player on this team who will get NFL looks yet the coaches thought he was a novelty. Which I think is a bit of a dig. Its like ah he is new and fans want to see him so lets put him on the team. And some how not see his has actual talent to be on the team.

Nidaros
11-12-2011, 10:51 AM
So on Terrys blog he mentioned a quote from Meadows calling Moss a novelty to a legitimate player. I guess I find it completely unacceptable that the coaching staff thought he was a novelty. If you dont think he is worth playing why bother having him on the team to start. It shows to me the coaching staff has been losing its ability to judge talent. Even in spring ball if his routes ran were not 100% perfect, his catching and atheltic ability should be enought to show he is worth playing. imagine if the coaches actually used him the first 2 games of the year. Probably the only player on this team who will get NFL looks yet the coaches thought he was a novelty. Which I think is a bit of a dig. Its like ah he is new and fans want to see him so lets put him on the team. And some how not see his has actual talent to be on the team. NOO NOO. Our staff judges talent real well and they put the best 11 on the field that includes Moss, publicly they often make coy statements that should help the athlete keep his head on his shoulders and not in the sky.

JackJD
11-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Goon...you're being pretty 'technical' on picking apart the words used by the coaches.

boxerboy
11-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I think you have made an excellent observation. I follow the team from afar and have not seen a game. Yet as I look from week to week I am generally amazed how they couldn't have started him immediately. I rely on what you guys say in your posts but the athletic ability he showed on the BB court, his size, his HS resume along with spring workouts should have shown them he was something special. I believe at this point he is the most valuable member of the offense.

goon
11-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Goon...you're being pretty 'technical' on picking apart the words used by the coaches.

If you werent sure what you had, why not say he was a wildcard or unknown how it would go. but to call him a novelty I think is pretty bad. Maybe its just me.

Nidaros
11-12-2011, 11:54 AM
If you werent sure what you had, why not say he was a wildcard or unknown how it would go. but to call him a novelty I think is pretty bad. Maybe its just me.

He is a novelty in that he is the first basketball player to finish his athletic career playing football. I can think one only one player who has done the same and tha was Chad Mustsard from Columbus, Ne native that played BB at UND and had a short career with the Denver Broncos. He played TE for UND and did well.

Jackbacker123
11-13-2011, 11:47 AM
So on Terrys blog he mentioned a quote from Meadows calling Moss a novelty to a legitimate player. I guess I find it completely unacceptable that the coaching staff thought he was a novelty. If you dont think he is worth playing why bother having him on the team to start. It shows to me the coaching staff has been losing its ability to judge talent. Even in spring ball if his routes ran were not 100% perfect, his catching and atheltic ability should be enought to show he is worth playing. imagine if the coaches actually used him the first 2 games of the year. Probably the only player on this team who will get NFL looks yet the coaches thought he was a novelty. Which I think is a bit of a dig. Its like ah he is new and fans want to see him so lets put him on the team. And some how not see his has actual talent to be on the team.
Couldn't agree more. Remember, this is the same coaching staff that determined that TOB was a better option than Sumner, a Jerry Rice Award finalist. If it wasn't for TOB quitting the team, he may have still been the starter yesterday. This coaching staff (Stig) obviously struggles judging talent and in some cases goes with loyalty over talent.

joeboo22
11-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Novelty means the quality of being new, original or unusual..... How does that not describe Moss?

I think to most coaches to be "legitimate" you have to have put in the hours, the 3-4-5 years with the team. Know every aspect of football. And that is for all sports. They will take the talent like a Dale Moss, but they would rather have that guy gut it out in the system for 4-5 years.

RowdyRabbit
11-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Anyone have time to whip up some final stats for Moss? At the beginning of the year Coach Stig said 30 catches would be a great season for him or something to that affect. What did he have? 60 some catches?

jacks1
11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Anyone have time to whip up some final stats for Moss? At the beginning of the year Coach Stig said 30 catches would be a great season for him or something to that affect. What did he have? 60 some catches?

61 catches, 949 yds, 6 TD

Nidaros
11-14-2011, 07:38 AM

What is interesting is that Tyler and Strucky commented more than once about the WIU defensive backs who made it difficult for Moss to make his 1000 yard goal. Defensively Moss and Rollin both had a bigger challenge than in other games.

WIU may have been down in the win column this year, but they obviously studied the game tapes where Moss made big plays

Jacks-02
11-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Pretty amazing season totals considering it was all done in 9 games!

shot_5533
11-15-2011, 10:23 AM
It is going to be hard for the Jacks to replace Moss. He turned into a legitimate #1 reciever. Sumner looked for him when he had to have something. I don't see anyone on the current roster replacing him. Can you imagine if he would have played 4 years?

SoDakJack
11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Moss gave the team a dynamic that it had not had since Harris graduated. The ability to stretch the field has been missing. I just hope the coaching staff has a recruit with that same ability. Otherwise, this offense will be one dimensional again next year.

mitchell
11-15-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm excited to see what Jason Schnieder can do next year. He has a simular size & game to Moss's, probably not as dynamic after the catch but has promise. Plus Brandon Hubert getting more touches will be a plus too, he was actually the best at getting yards after the catch in my opinion.

RabbitObsessed
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I think you guys are selling Rollin short. He might not have Moss' leaping ability, but he can definitely stretch the field; he's caught some bombs this year.

Nidaros
11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
I think you guys are selling Rollin short. He might not have Moss' leaping ability, but he can definitely stretch the field; he's caught some bombs this year.

This+++

mitchell
11-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I guess I was just assuming everyone knew about Rollin. He really progressed this season and should return as a 1st team All-Conference, maybe even some all-american consideration.

rabidrabbit
11-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Having the dual threat of Rollins OR Moss did in a lot of teams. Having a single threat means double coverage on the one. Having two flyers/leapers means someone is going to get open, burn the D deep. Sumner's touch, while good this season, should only improve with experience.

goon
11-16-2011, 10:47 AM

I don't know if they keep track of this stuff but I feel he probably had the most drops though.

I feel hubert is good at breaking off tight coverage to get open espicially in the middle.

jackmd
11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't know if they keep track of this stuff but I feel he probably had the most drops though.

I feel hubert is good at breaking off tight coverage to get open espicially in the middle.

Gotta find a new return guy, Hubert can't do it. Rollins is not a possession receiver, drops too many balls and isn't big enough to be in the middle of the field play after play. Hopefully one of the other guys steps up. Would be nice to find another Glen Fox, punter turned possession receiver.

RabbitObsessed
11-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Since this board has a collective freak out if someone gets the school colors wrong or refers to Hobo Day as Hobo Days, I feel the need to point out that his name is Rollin (http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=1523885) and not Rollins. Not trying to pick on MD (okay, maybe a little); I've seen it a bunch of times.

I'd also argue that 6'1'' 215 is plenty big enough to go over the middle.

jackmd
11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Perhaps your right regarding his size. I don't think he has what it takes to be our go to possession receiver but if that will be his role I hope he proves me wrong.

I didn't realize his name is Rollin and not Rollins and apologize for my ignorance. I met his parents and spent the whole day with them in Illinois, heck I'm even acquainted with them on the social networks. Hope I can remember for future reference.

filbert
11-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Since this board has a collective freak out if someone gets the school colors wrong or refers to Hobo Day as Hobo Days, I feel the need to point out that his name is Rollin (http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=1523885) and not Rollins. Not trying to pick on MD (okay, maybe a little); I've seen it a bunch of times.

I'd also argue that 6'1'' 215 is plenty big enough to go over the middle.
You forgot "AND STAY OFF MY LAWN, WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!"

:rolleyes:

RabbitObsessed
11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
You forgot "AND STAY OFF MY LAWN, WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!"

:rolleyes:

Dammit. How quickly the roles reverse.

(And how quickly I feel old ...)

goon
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Dammit. How quickly the roles reverse.

(And how quickly I feel old ...)

Just wait till you graduate and go back for football games or what ever and in your late 20s and the whole time your there you think, I dont remember the girls in college look this good when I was here....even if it was just a couple years ago.

filbert
11-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Just wait till you graduate and go back for football games or what ever and in your late 20s and the whole time your there you think, I dont remember the girls in college look this good when I was here....even if it was just a couple years ago.
And then after a few more years, you look at the college girls and think "I don't remember them being so damn YOUNG!!!"

SF_Rabbit_Fan
11-17-2011, 12:12 PM
And then after a few more years, you look at the college girls and think "I don't remember them being so damn YOUNG!!!"

And then a few years later, you look at the college girls and think "Is that my daughter doing jello shots?!?!"

Kemo
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
And then a few years later, you look at the college girls and think "Is that my daughter doing jello shots?!?!"
And then a few more years later, you get your "old man card" and can say whatever you want to the college girls, because nobody turns in grandpa for being creepy. (borrowed from a Daniel Tosh comedy routine)

goon
11-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I cant wait till I get old now.

Nidaros
11-18-2011, 10:03 AM

I am not familiar with jellow shots, in fact I did not get a good google explantion. I assume involves doing some drugs with jello.

jackmd
11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I am not familiar with jellow shots, in fact I did not get a good google explantion. I assume involves doing some drugs with jello.

You use vodka or another liquor to make the jello.

Tell me what this means, I was at the men's BB game and I actually thought the cheer team and cheerleaders were not a attractive as I remembered them being when I was at State. I still haven't resolved that thought in my mind.

Theee Catrabbit
11-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Tell me what this means, I was at the men's BB game and I actually thought the cheer team and cheerleaders were not a attractive as I remembered them being when I was at State.

It means either:

A) You are looking at the male cheerleaders

or

B) Your getting old and need glasses

or

C) Your getting really old and the delusions of how great the cheerleaders were when you were in college. In reality you were more amped up on testosterone and even the mascot looked alright at the time.

None of the above applies to me, because I think they are pretty hot. :cool:

mitchell
11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I saw that Dale signed with an agent recently and will be pursuing the NFL and getting ready for the workouts. He signed with XAM sports, the same agency that represents Danny Batten and other MVC standouts. http://www.xamsports.com/nfl-players-clients

Does anybody know if a Jackrabbit has ever been invited the NFL combine? I wouldn't put it past Dale to get an invite.

CatchEmAll
11-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Does anybody know if a Jackrabbit has ever been invited the NFL combine? I wouldn't put it past Dale to get an invite.

For some reason I think Doug Miller was invited to the combine. I remember hearing how he tested better than the top LB that year from Miami (whose name I cannot remember). I also would have assumed Steve Heiden would have gone being a 3rd round pick, but wasn't on campus at the time so I don't know.

SturgisJeff
11-19-2011, 07:58 AM
You use vodka or another liquor to make the jello.

Tell me what this means, I was at the men's BB game and I actually thought the cheer team and cheerleaders were not a attractive as I remembered them being when I was at State. I still haven't resolved that thought in my mind.

you were probably there last weekend when the cheer team was wearing those ugly black uniforms with the white leggings. very unattractive outfits. they would make Cher look old. wait Cher is old never mind that. but the uniforms were fugly

Theee Catrabbit
11-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm going to miss all of this.......it's over it's really over.....

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/12991727700/sdsu-guard-turned-receiver-dale-moss-has-put

http://youtu.be/ycby0P7End8

Danger41
11-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Dang, he is legit. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets a call in April and ends up on an NFL team.

Nidaros
11-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Great video, he made the plays no doubt about it.

bub94
11-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Rollin isn't bad. He just has to work on the dropped balls. I can see Kool moving back to WR next year. I really like Hubert too. Yes, it was nice having Moss, but we do have WRs still on our roster. Don't think WR position will be our problem next year.

goon
11-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Rollin isn't bad. He just has to work on the dropped balls. I can see Kool moving back to WR next year. I really like Hubert too. Yes, it was nice having Moss, but we do have WRs still on our roster. Don't think WR position will be our problem next year..

Wr will be set for next year. Just look forward to sumner getting srping ball and fall camp to work with them as the starter. Would love to see kool move back to wr. Wished we could have watched moss for more then 1 year. I am glad he came out for 1 year.

RowdyRabbit
11-20-2011, 12:02 AM
And to think we COULD have been watching him play today, in heavy snowfall. I for one, like the rugged cold, snowy games.

bigticket1
11-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Wr will be set for next year. Just look forward to sumner getting srping ball and fall camp to work with them as the starter. Would love to see kool move back to wr. Wished we could have watched moss for more then 1 year. I am glad he came out for 1 year. You would think that showing potential WR recruits a highlight video of Sumner to Moss and Rollin,and then telling them Sumner will be around for 3 more years should be very convincing.

Jackbacker123
11-20-2011, 11:37 AM
For some reason I think Doug Miller was invited to the combine. I remember hearing how he tested better than the top LB that year from Miami (whose name I cannot remember). I also would have assumed Steve Heiden would have gone being a 3rd round pick, but wasn't on campus at the time so I don't know.
You are correct. Doug did participate in the combine and I think tested highest in something like the shuttle run??? I believe Timmerman went as well.

shot_5533
11-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Wr will be set for next year. Just look forward to sumner getting srping ball and fall camp to work with them as the starter. Would love to see kool move back to wr. Wished we could have watched moss for more then 1 year. I am glad he came out for 1 year.

This makes too much sense for the current crop of coaches. Kool is a better WR than RB, no doubt. Putting him at WR improves 2 positions and gives you some chance to replace Moss's speed outside. Kool was a very good WR in the past.

TK22867
11-21-2011, 02:21 PM
You guys are making a big assumption that our coaching staff will recognize the need to move Kool back to WR. I'll believe it when I see it.

Our receiving corps should be solid next season, but it will be a while before we see someone tear up the opposing secondary like Moss did. Mark my words, we are are really going to miss him next year.

If Moss would have chosen the football route, we would have seen him playing WR at an FBS school, not SDSU. I believe it was Mike H who said Dale was the greatest WR he ever saw play high school football in the State of SD. We should count our blessings that we had him on our football team for 1 season.

rjacks21
11-21-2011, 02:39 PM
You guys are making a big assumption that our coaching staff will recognize the need to move Kool back to WR. I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh, they'll see it.... around week 5 after we've dropped the first few games and started the season out 1-3 yet again. Stig will come out with one of his head scratchers like "I guess we should have realized Tyrel was a better option at WR earlier".

I fully expect Kool to start the season as #1 on the depth chart at RB because he's a senior and has paid his dues in Stig's eyes. Stig has proven that he values not hurting a players feelings over getting a W.

Gojacks2
11-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Stig is a horrible judge of talent. He didn't start one of the best freshman QB's in the history of the MVC because he thought TOB was better. And the really scary part is that Sumner may have never started if TOB didnt quit. Just ridiculous.

goon
11-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Stig is a horrible judge of talent. He didn't start one of the best freshman QB's in the history of the MVC because he thought TOB was better. And the really scary part is that Sumner may have never started if TOB didnt quit. Just ridiculous.

I beg to differ. He obviously knew sumner would and could be special so they recruited him. Stig if anything is loyal to a fault. I think that maybe the issue. Do you stick it out with the guys who have been there longer or the guy who gives us the best chance to win.

jacks1
11-21-2011, 11:48 PM
...Do you stick it out with the guys who have been there longer or the guy who gives us the best chance to win.

This shouldn't even be a question.

Jacks-02
11-21-2011, 11:55 PM
I beg to differ. He obviously knew sumner would and could be special so they recruited him. Stig if anything is loyal to a fault. I think that maybe the issue. Do you stick it out with the guys who have been there longer or the guy who gives us the best chance to win.

I think all this criticism of Stig being overly loyal or a poor judge of talent is a bit overblown. We had a ton of underclassmen playing this year, many over upperclassmen who have been with the program for several years.

There aren't many established coaches that will knee-jerk trot out a red-shirt freshman QB after a few games against some tough competition over a 3rd year starter who has won games in the past. At that point in the season all the coaches had to go off of was how the QB's looked in practice, and apparently TOB was a better practice QB than Sumner was. Hindsight shows that Sumner's moxie and athletic ability made him a better gameday QB than TOB was. It's easy to look back now and say Stig blew it at the beginning of the year, but I think it's unfair to do so in this case.

Gojacks2
11-21-2011, 11:58 PM
That may be the case...he could be loyal to a fault. But I would take 7-4 with freshman over 5-6 and "loyalty."

timeforachange
11-22-2011, 08:33 AM
How can you keep defending Stig on the quarterback situation? As previously mentioned TOB was throwing interceptions where Sumner wasn't. Sumner was going against the second team defense but also the first line defense. It was nothing but a loyalty thing. And one more point I truly believe Sumner showed he has just as strong as arm as TOB if not stronger and more accurate.

goon
11-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Sumners ability to read a defense is what stiod out to me that he is better then tob as a qb. Makes me wonder what they are doing in practice where they can't see sumner reads a defense better. Same as why moss didn't get a catch the first 2 games. He is good enough to get nfl looks but not good enough to get any passes his first 2 games?

shot_5533
11-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Stig does not decide who starts - offense or defense.

He even said he disagrees with his coaches as to who should start. He said it specifically before the Southern Illinois game. It is indisputable fact.

I couldn't disagree more with Stig on this aspect. As head coach, he needs to step in and take control of the team. If he does, maybe the Jacks win more games the past two years. As head coach, it all comes back to him.

One easy example is Dom Claire. What if he would have been used as a short yardage back in lieu of Kool? How many more short yardage situations and TD's would the Jacks have converted equallying at least one or two more wins.

Second easy example - the shuffling of the offensive line.

Third easy example - Sumner should have started over TOB all year long.

Fouth example - Moss wasn't used as much earlier in the year.

An example from last year - Cochart caught a NFL pass. Why wasn't he featured more with the Jacks? (new coordinator thats why. seems the Jacks used to have another pretty good TE recently that was used.)

Defensively they started 2cnd stringers late in the year over 1st stringers. Stig said he disagreed with it.

You can't coach speed. The speed I see is Kool at WR next year. I don't think the coaches will see it.

Nidaros
11-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Sumners ability to read a defense is what stiod out to me that he is better then tob as a qb. Makes me wonder what they are doing in practice where they can't see sumner reads a defense better. Same as why moss didn't get a catch the first 2 games. He is good enough to get nfl looks but not good enough to get any passes his first 2 games?

I might add that the defense read in practice is not the same as game day defense. You have the real guys on defense on game day doing real things like trying to win the football game. Practice does not equal game day. So faulty conclusions can be drawn from that premesis.
The people taking down stig do not know him like those loyalists here on this board. I think they speak with a simplistic ignornance.

ghomestead1
11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I think all this criticism of Stig being overly loyal or a poor judge of talent is a bit overblown. We had a ton of underclassmen playing this year, many over upperclassmen who have been with the program for several years.

There aren't many established coaches that will knee-jerk trot out a red-shirt freshman QB after a few games against some tough competition over a 3rd year starter who has won games in the past. At that point in the season all the coaches had to go off of was how the QB's looked in practice, and apparently TOB was a better practice QB than Sumner was. Hindsight shows that Sumner's moxie and athletic ability made him a better gameday QB than TOB was. It's easy to look back now and say Stig blew it at the beginning of the year, but I think it's unfair to do so in this case.

After attending many practices in the spring and the fall I always left scratching my head saying what does TOB give us that Sumner can't. I guess that question was answered but just to far into the season. It is a scary thought that TOB would have been the starter all year. Go back to the spring scrimmage, Sumner graded out higher than TOB yet Stig continued to make excuses as to why that occurred. "Austin played against the 2nds and so on"
I truely believe this was Stig calling the shots on the qb position, after all it's probably the most important position on the field.

goon
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I might add that the defense read in practice is not the same as game day defense. You have the real guys on defense on game day doing real things like trying to win the football game. Practice does not equal game day. So faulty conclusions can be drawn from that premesis.
The people taking down stig do not know him like those loyalists here on this board. I think they speak with a simplistic ignornance.

So the scout team running defensive sets of our opponents doesnt help the QB to learn to read a Defense?

Jackbacker123
11-22-2011, 06:23 PM

Sorry but did you watch TOB play last year or this year? I would hardly call putting in Sumner a "knee-jerk" reaction. As many have said, Stig is loyal to a fault.

CatchEmAll
11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Stig does not decide who starts - offense or defense.

He even said he disagrees with his coaches as to who should start. He said it specifically before the Southern Illinois game. It is indisputable fact.

I couldn't disagree more with Stig on this aspect. As head coach, he needs to step in and take control of the team. If he does, maybe the Jacks win more games the past two years. As head coach, it all comes back to him.

One easy example is Dom Claire. What if he would have been used as a short yardage back in lieu of Kool? How many more short yardage situations and TD's would the Jacks have converted equallying at least one or two more wins.

Second easy example - the shuffling of the offensive line.

Third easy example - Sumner should have started over TOB all year long.

Fouth example - Moss wasn't used as much earlier in the year.

An example from last year - Cochart caught a NFL pass. Why wasn't he featured more with the Jacks? (new coordinator thats why. seems the Jacks used to have another pretty good TE recently that was used.)

Defensively they started 2cnd stringers late in the year over 1st stringers. Stig said he disagreed with it.

You can't coach speed. The speed I see is Kool at WR next year. I don't think the coaches will see it.

If Stig's not having any input on starters then someone needs to look at who has the title of head coach. Ultimately what's best for the program rests with him and if there's a disagreement the asst coaches better have a damn compelling reason why they have one guy tabbed over who the HC thinks.

goon
11-22-2011, 07:39 PM
If Stig's not having any input on starters then someone needs to look at who has the title of head coach. Ultimately what's best for the program rests with him and if there's a disagreement the asst coaches better have a damn compelling reason why they have one guy tabbed over who the HC thinks.

Completely agree. I think the head coach should be making these decisions. If he doesnt call the plays if he doesnt decide who plays, what does he actually do besides talk to the refs during the game.

Nidaros
11-22-2011, 09:56 PM
So the scout team running defensive sets of our opponents doesnt help the QB to learn to read a Defense? It might help to a certain degree, but your scout teams are often true freshmen, and do they know as much as an opposing line backer who has faced the jacks three years in a row?

goon
11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
It might help to a certain degree, but your scout teams are often true freshmen, and do they know as much as an opposing line backer who has faced the jacks three years in a row?

I know you can't simulate game speed and practice can maybe hekp figure some out but can't anwser all the questions. Still can't but help wonder with 2 blow outs in a row at illinois and poly why the coaches waited till the last series to give sumner some reps. We were blown out. Why risk your starter and his confidence when he is struggling. Tob needed a a chance to get off the field if only to see the game from the sidelines and get some coaching. Playing your back up the last series really does nothing to help either your back up gain experience or your starter to save face and get pulled earlier.

GopherHole
11-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Winter is coming, and I see significant drifting here - thread drift. However, wouldn't it be cool to see Moss driving a snow plow?

shot_5533
11-23-2011, 11:25 AM

This.

Theee Catrabbit
11-23-2011, 12:52 PM
How can you keep defending Stig on the quarterback situation? As previously mentioned TOB was throwing interceptions where Sumner wasn't. Sumner was going against the second team defense but also the first line defense. It was nothing but a loyalty thing. And one more point I truly believe Sumner showed he has just as strong as arm as TOB if not stronger and more accurate.

I was listening to ESPNradio awhile ago. Hasselbeck was describing "arm talent", not just a strong arm. But the ability to make the throws, softer, harder, depth, high, low. There are a lot of big arms (Cunningham and Boller come to mind) but the ability to make the throws in timing with the plays, and the goal of the play(screen to the running back and fades take talent in my opinion). Sumner has arm talent, TOB had an arm, big difference, just ask anyone who ever coached Jeff George.

sfjacksfan99
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
What an absolute joke. Moss doesn't make MVFC 1st team.

RabbitObsessed
11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Do they count non-conference games for these final teams? Because if not, Moss tied for the lead in catches (53), had the most yards (843), and tied for the most in TDs (6) in conference games. Joke.

RowdyRabbit
11-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow. That is surprising and disappointing.

witness
11-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Who votes on awards? Coaches or who? I can only think voters from other teams weren't happy that he came an lead in league being away for 4 years whereas other players have spent 4 or 5 years trying to get the award. Moss had 16 freakin more catches, 36 more yards. than Saffold. He was robbed for sure.

goon
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Who votes on awards? Coaches or who? I can only think voters from other teams weren't happy that he came an lead in league being away for 4 years whereas other players have spent 4 or 5 years trying to get the award. Moss had 16 freakin more catches, 36 more yards. than Saffold. He was robbed for sure.

That is my guess too. That he was only here for one year. Give votes to guys who maybe put their time in.

witness
11-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Dale Moss was named to the MVFC all-newcomer team

CatchEmAll
11-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Not sure how the MVC does it, but back in the NCC days the coaches voted on the All-Conference teams. To me that makes some sense since they are the better judges of talent.

In regard to Moss being a first year guy and not getting voted in because other guys have put in 4-5 years...that's BS. So basically that would preclude a freshman from ever being All-Conference. This was just pure bias and stupidity on whoever votes part. Dale was arguably the top receiver in the league this year and to be left off the team is just nuts. He'll just have to show the league how good he really is on Sunday's in the future.

jackdaniel
11-30-2011, 10:58 AM

All the receivers benefitted from having Summner as QB,I'm glad Aaron, Dale,and Austin all had a good year.Look forward to many more receivers having good years with Austin at QB.Good receivers to go with a good QB,well, that's a match made in heaven.

RabbitObsessed
11-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Not sure how the MVC does it, but back in the NCC days the coaches voted on the All-Conference teams. To me that makes some sense since they are the better being All-Conference. The same judges of talent that kept Dale and Sumner on the bench at the beginning of the year? Suddenly the results make more sense...

jackdaddy
11-30-2011, 08:49 PM
What's crazy to think is that if TOB wouldn't have quit and tiefentaler (sp) wouldn't have hurt his hand second game of the year Moss and Sumner both possibly could have seen hardly any time all year. And in regards to the All conference thing Moss did all his work in basically 9 games because he wasnt given an opportunity earlier.

Nidaros
12-01-2011, 08:53 AM
What's crazy to think is that if TOB wouldn't have quit and tiefentaler (sp) wouldn't have hurt his hand second game of the year Moss and Sumner both possibly could have seen hardly any time all year. And in regards to the All conference thing Moss did all his work in basically 9 games because he wasnt given an opportunity earlier.

No doubt another way of looking at it. Its only natural to think our guys are the best and deserve the recognition, but others thought otherwise. If we have a turnaround season next year, then we will no doubt have our players get the recognition that they deserve.

Shakir Bell, ISU BLUE, is deserving of the MVP award.

NoVaJack
01-01-2012, 05:06 PM
A ratings service has Moss ranked number 50 of potential FCS and small-school draftees. Per TV: http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/2262-jbs-small-school-top-100-january-1st

Also, note pertinent to an earlier conversation over the assertion that a DB recruit's 4.5 time in the 40 was not that fast. This list shows the 21 or 22-year-old potential pro DBs on this list in the 4.4 to 4.6 range.

witness
01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
A ratings service has Moss ranked number 50 of potential FCS and small-school draftees. Per TV: http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/2262-jbs-small-school-top-100-january-1st

Also, note pertinent to an earlier conversation over the assertion that a DB recruit's 4.5 time in the 40 was not that fast. This list shows the 21 or 22-year-old potential pro DBs on this list in the 4.4 to 4.6 range.
50 seems very low for him. If he runs well in the pro workouts and plays well in the Shrine I expect him to rise on the board

SDSU16
01-01-2012, 07:28 PM
According to Dale's twitter, he flew to Tampa this afternoon, got in about an hour or so ago, and will be working out down.

BudLight Jackrabbit
01-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Sports Illustrated giving Moss some love

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/01/17/shrine.game.practice.reports.tuesday/index.html

NorCalJack
01-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Wide Receiver
If it’s a bigger receiver you’re looking for, consider the story of Dale Moss. Moss was formerly a guard on the South Dakota State basketball team and measures over 6-feet 3-inches. He never played college football until 2011 and, even then, barely saw the field during the first half of the season. Yet the athletic Moss displayed weekly improvement once he got on the field and looked like a player during Tuesday’s practice. He has a world of upside as Moss is a smooth, fluid receiver with natural hands. Moss also needs a lot of work on his game but with teams eternally looking for big, athletic pass catching threats, he’s the type of prospect someone’s going to think long and hard about as the second day of the draft closes out.

Here is the link.

(http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Paulines-Tuesday-Shrine-Bowl-Report/3a7661c6-6e83-4e47-b3c4-5901acf5f07b)Go Dale!!!
Go Jacks!!!

NorCalJack
01-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Riser of the Day Award--Dale Moss (WR South Dakota State) - Like many, I hadn’t seen this small school prospect yet; and, like many more, I was impressed at his potential during the West’s afternoon practice. The bad news is that Moss is probably a late round developmental pick because he has lots of work to do with his route running. However, Moss certainly looks the part of a big time receiver--he’s a great athlete who plucks the ball well and finds it at its highest point. Once he puts it together, some lucky personnel guy is going to get a promotion.

Here is the link

(http://www.drafttek.com/Shrine-Game-Report.asp)
The quote is in the Monday notes.

witness
01-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Here is the link. (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Paulines-Tuesday-Shrine-Bowl-Report/3a7661c6-6e83-4e47-b3c4-5901acf5f07b)Go Dale!!!Go Jacks!!![/LEFT]Second Or third day? Wow. That's awesome. Dale is doing big things.

NorCalJack
01-19-2012, 11:23 PM
On the West squad, I wasn't able to glean a whole lot. But, I am REALLY intrigued with Dale Moss of South Dakota State. For a one year football player (four year basketball player), he looks far more polished, comfortable, and coachable than I expected coming in. He wasn't the best receiver here, but based on the fact he likely was Top 5 overall, or at least close to it, is VERY exciting for his potential.

Link (http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2012-shrine-game-thursday-practice-notes.html)

leeshajo
01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
did you see this?

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2012-shrine-game-interview-with-dale-moss-wr-south-dakota-state.html

SoDakJack
01-20-2012, 03:42 PM
The thing about these all star games is that the game itself really doesn't have a lot to do with a player's overall draft status when it comes to smaller schools. Guys like Dale make their names in the practices leading up to the game. I'm encouraged that Dale is making an impression on some of these writers. It will be interesting to see just how much game time he gets.

witness
01-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Don't know of anybody has posted this but he has a journal entry on the 14th and he says will continue to write on. Heres the link:http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/interviews/3-interviews/2296-dale-moss-draft-journal-week-1-jan-13th

witness
01-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Lets just count me in as one of the believers in the Moss. I saw him for almost all of high school career and he was the best high school WR I have ever seen. Personally, even though he was very good in high school for basketball, I thought football was his better sport and was suprised he chose the basketball route as he would have went much higher than SDSU in football. And all I can think of when I talk about Dale Moss is, "Dale, Dale, Dale, Dale Moss, Dale, Dale Dale, Dale Moss." Its an ESD thing.

76Rabbit
01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree witness. Always thought he was far more impressive on the FB field than BB court. Here is TV's article about Dale from today's Argus http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120121/SPORTS0202/301210006/After-shifting-over-from-basketball-Moss-attracts-attention?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|p

Kemo
01-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I will say that playing basketball may very well have helped Dale in football for his 1 year of college and hopefully many years in the pros.

Sure he is a little behind on route running, but think about how all those rebounds and alley oop dunks helped his ball skills as a receiver. For 4 years Moss never had the option to catch the ball against his chest or let the ball come to him. He had to time his jumps correctly so he'd catch the ball at its highest point, and if he was close to the hoop, still had to the coordination to slam it home.

Oh yah, and in basketball, most players he went against were taller than him, which will not be the case on the football field.

RabbitObsessed
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
I will say that playing basketball may very well have helped Dale in football for his 1 year of college and hopefully many years in the pros.

Sure he is a little behind on route running, but think about how all those rebounds and alley oop dunks helped his ball skills as a receiver. For 4 years Moss never had the option to catch the ball against his chest or let the ball come to him. He had to time his jumps correctly so he'd catch the ball at its highest point, and if he was close to the hoop, still had to the coordination to slam it home.

Oh yah, and in basketball, most players he went against were taller than him, which will not be the case on the football field.

And it also makes him more unique. Teams are trying to find the next Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham, i.e. the next basketball player turned football star.

Rabbitden
01-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Anybody know where you can get this online or that might be showing it in Brookings? I don't get the NFL Network. Don't understand why it is not part of the sports package.:mad:

witness
01-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Not only did basketball help his ball skills I think it saved his body a bit more punishment than he would have got playing football for 4 years. Dale has said he has been in contact with football coaches since he came here to play basketball.

BudLight Jackrabbit
01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Anybody know where you can get this online or that might be showing it in Brookings? I don't get the NFL Network. Don't understand why it is not part of the sports package.:mad:

I'm sure its on at Cubby's:D

goon
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Moss is in the game now. No throws yet.

smoothjack
01-21-2012, 03:57 PM
http://www.firstrow.tv/watch/103495/1/watch-east-vs-west-shrine-game-2012.html I got your back

SiouxFallsJack
01-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Dale with a nice 10 yard catch.

SiouxFallsJack
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Dale with another catch for a first down.

Southeast
01-21-2012, 05:55 PM
It's cool to see an SDSU helmet out there amongst all those big-time BCS schools. Hopefully he'll get at least one more catch.

goon
01-21-2012, 06:04 PM
I missed the second half with a baby who didn't want to take a nap. Did compton get much time in?

bigticket1
01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I wasn't too impressed with the play-calling for the West (but what else would you expect with Chilly in charge). Dale was given 10 yards cushion on every play by corners that looked to be at least 6 inches shorter It looked like they could have went to him anytime they wanted.

joeboo22
01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I missed the second half with a baby who didn't want to take a nap. Did compton get much time in?

I didn't realize he was even part of the game until towards the end, he got beat really bad one play, but again I only watched him play a couple of plays.

SturgisJeff
01-21-2012, 09:13 PM
I didn't realize he was even part of the game until towards the end, he got beat really bad one play, but again I only watched him play a couple of plays.

I only saw Compton in for one series in the fourth, and on punts

goon
01-21-2012, 10:02 PM
I only saw Compton in for one series in the fourth, and on punts

I figured for a guy going to the nfl combine he would have gotten in more.

JackJD
01-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Anyone see stats that would tell us how many plays included Dale? I DVR'd the game and went through it once...seems he was on the field a lot.

NoVaJack
01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Anyone see stats that would tell us how many plays included Dale? I DVR'd the game and went through it once...seems he was on the field a lot.

Watched parts of first half and he was in on probably half of the offensive series and was also on the kickoff team that recovered the onside kick. Bobby Ross didn't look to happy about that at halftime, BTW. IF Chilly had been that innovative in Minnesota he might still be there.

Kemo
01-22-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't have an exact number but I did watch the entire game. I'd say he played roughly a 1/3 of the offensive series.

Stats wise I know he had 2 catches for a roughly 20 yards.

On one play, Moss had his man beat deep on a double move but Dan Persa overthrew him by about 20 yards, which was disappointing, because if the ball would have been under thrown it would have been a jump ball situation where Dale could have showcase his athleticism.

joeboo22
01-22-2012, 01:50 PM
It was somewhat hard for me to tell exactly the amount of plays he played because they ran the ball quite a bit and there was a receiver from Boise State whose helmet looks similar when on the far side. But I thought he played quite a bit.

SturgisJeff
01-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Dale was in on every other series until they got down close to the end zone then they went to different receivers.

witness
01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Good article about Dale in the Collegian:http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2012/01/25/moss-plans-to-go-the-distance-for-nfl/

farmerjack
02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Interesting tweet today about Dales workouts from Scott Smith with XAMsports
"Got testing numbers today from #SDSU (http://sdsufans.com/#!/search?q=%23SDSU) WR Dale Moss & they are eye-popping, including fastest 3-cone time I ever heard"

2002jack
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Interesting tweet today about Dales workouts from Scott Smith with XAMsports
"Got testing numbers today from #SDSU (http://sdsufans.com/#!/search?q=%23SDSU) WR Dale Moss & they are eye-popping, including fastest 3-cone time I ever heard"

I think that is coming from his agent, so no surprise that he is impressed.

jackmd
02-14-2012, 12:41 PM
I think that is coming from his agent, so no surprise that he is impressed.

One would deduce as much based on Dale's tweet today.

ringthebells
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
4.45 forty and a 3-cone time faster than anybody at last year's combine. His pro day will be a crowded place.

witness
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
4.45 forty and a 3-cone time faster than anybody at last year's combine. His pro day will be a crowded place.
Where did you find his numbers?

joeboo22
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
One would deduce as much based on Dale's tweet today.

which is true, but at the same time he wouldn't be making these claims unless Dale is doing something in his workouts.

jackdaddy
02-14-2012, 10:53 PM
His 3-Cone time was a 6.24 (averaged from 2 times 6.27 and 6.21) which would have broken a combine record. I'm sure whoever runs his training facility will post a youtube video depicting the drill.
Current Numbers
39inch vert
6.24 3-cone
3.89 shuttle
4.45 forty
unsure on bench reps

but I know he has quite some time until his pro day and numbers can vary, but looks like he is going to put up some pretty impressive numbers at his pro day.

witness
02-14-2012, 11:40 PM
His 3-Cone time was a 6.24 (averaged from 2 times 6.27 and 6.21) which would have broken a combine record. I'm sure whoever runs his training facility will post a youtube video depicting the drill.
Current Numbers
39inch vert
6.24 3-cone
3.89 shuttle
4.45 forty
unsure on bench reps

but I know he has quite some time until his pro day and numbers can vary, but looks like he is going to put up some pretty impressive numbers at his pro day.
Looked up last years combine results for wide recievers
3 cone-he would have destroyed everybody last year as the quickest was 6.42
vert-highest was 42 and he would have been 7th beating Julio Jones and AJ Green
shuttle-fastest was 3.88 so he would have been second by .01 seconds
forty-fastest was 4.31 and would have been the 10th fastest reciever which is faster than AJ Green and pretty fast for his size
So basically he has some time to improve his numbers and if he puts numbers like that up at his pro day I look for him to being drafted. How high I don't know.

jackmd
02-15-2012, 04:02 PM
which is true, but at the same time he wouldn't be making these claims unless Dale is doing something in his workouts.

Didn't say the numbers weren't legit. I think it is important to understand the source of information. Dale is a phenom and I hope he performs equally as well when it really counts.

sdjackfan40
02-16-2012, 04:41 PM
A video of Dale Moss running his 3-cone drill was posted on his Facebook fan page.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2760461139543

(http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2760461139543)

witness
02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Q&A with Dale Moss that End Zone Report did. http://endzonereport.net/2012/02/24/qa-with-south-dakota-state-wide-receiver-dale-moss/

GopherHole
02-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Current Numbers
39inch vert
6.24 3-cone
3.89 shuttle
4.45 forty
unsure on bench reps

The combine has ended in Indy and here is how Dale matches up with the talent that competed there. Keep in mind that this was a snapshot in time at the combine and some of the WRs will run pro days with better numbers than they posted at the combine.

40 yd dash (Dale 4.45) - Tied for 11th fastest with Keshawn Martin from Mich State. 29 WRs ran slower.
Vertical (Dale 39") - Tied for 6th with Devon Wylie, Fresno State.
3 Cone (Dale 6.24) - First, next fastest was Junior Hemmingway from Michigan at 6.59.
Shuttle (Dale 3.89) - First, next fastest was again, Junior Hemmingway from Michigan at 3.98. Only 2 broke the 4 second barrier.

Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech was one of the stars at the combine. Many analysts believe his performance will likely move him up high in the draft. Hill is the same height as Moss and only weighed 5 lbs more than Moss did at the beginning of last season. Hill ran faster than Moss in the 40 at 4.36, which tied for the fastest with two others. Hill's 39.5" vertical is virtually the same as Dale's. His 3-cone and 20-yd shuttle were both above average for the combine, but significantly slower than Dale's. (6.88 vs. 6.24, and 4.13 vs. 3.89)

It is clear to me that Dale has the physical tools that match or exceed with virtually any receiver in this year's draft. Justin Blackmon for Oklahoma State may be the exception, but he did not perform at the draft. What will hold Dale back is his one year of post high school football at an FCS level school.

NorCalJack
04-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Good write up on Dale Moss. (http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/4/14/2948046/10-small-school-players-creating-a-buzz-with-nfl-teams)

NorCalJack
04-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Here is a radio interview of Dale Moss. (http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/audio/Getting-To-Know-A-Draft-Sleeper/01d00892-0761-4512-9f8f-620e701f8d28)

rabidrabbit
04-16-2012, 07:51 AM
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/4/14/2948046/10-small-school-players-creating-a-buzz-with-nfl-teams

Another writer that believes Dale's chances are up.

I follow Dale on Twitter, and he's doing well at staying in the discussion circles. Hope he gets drafted!

89rabbit
04-16-2012, 08:44 AM
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/4/14/2948046/10-small-school-players-creating-a-buzz-with-nfl-teams

Another writer that believes Dale's chances are up.

I follow Dale on Twitter, and he's doing well at staying in the discussion circles. Hope he gets drafted!

Wow! Not just in the story about the Top 10 players from smaller schools, but the #1 player. Way to go Dale!

Go State! :)

JACKGUYII
04-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Would Dale be better or worse off in this years draft if he had played 4 years of football. I think his athleticism and novelty of being a basketball player along with having a great senior year on the football field has helped his stock.

witness
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Would Dale be better or worse off in this years draft if he had played 4 years of football. I think his athleticism and novelty of being a basketball player along with having a great senior year on the football field has helped his stock.
It really is tough to say right now in hindsight, because if he would have played 4 years of football, his route work would have been better, and I think he would have been stronger if he would have went the football route instead of the basketball route. Yes, having a great senior year and being a basketball player has helped his current draft stock, but who knows maybe it could be higher if he played 4 years of football. Not to mention, he would have went higher than SDSU for football, I have heard FBS, so if he would have went the football route, it could have been easier for him to get noticed by scouts.

LakeJack
04-16-2012, 10:19 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't remember any FBS football offers for Dale back in his HS days. I do remember Stig and crew working it pretty hard. At the time I remember thinking how interesting it was that Stig's biggest recruiting competition was Nagy.

BTownJack
04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
It has been rumored many times that there was plenty of FBS interest in Dale - no offers that I'm aware of. But when he verballed so early to SDSU basketball the FBS interest went away - so hard to tell where he would have ended up.

joeboo22
04-16-2012, 04:48 PM
A kid I went to college with that knew Dale, told me this. He said Dale committed in the summer for basketball, he then played football where he received a ton of interest, but since he never showed any signs of de committing from SDSU for basketball its hard to know if he ever really had an offer or not. What the kid told me though, was that if he hadn't committed to SDSU he would have had numerous FBS football offers.

Kemo
04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZI9IMYw8YFs

MikeHenriksen
04-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Dale was our guest in studio today on Calling All Sports. Easy kid to root for! Not getting too excited for this week.

You can hear the show under "archived shows" at www.callingallsportssd.com. He is in segment one.

LakeJack
04-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Moss to the Vikings?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8288dbda/article/2012-nfl-mock-draft-teambyteam-picks-for-rounds-17?module=HP11_cp

GopherHole
04-26-2012, 07:54 AM
St. Paul Pioneer Press has Moss a Viking in their mock draft (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20479321/vikings-perfect-2012-draft-check-out-first-round)too!

SIXTH ROUND (171TH OVERALL) *

(* Part of our aforementioned trade
proposal.)
Vikings
select: Dale Moss, wide receiver, South Dakota State

Buzz:
Basketball-player-turned-receiver wowed several teams, including the
Vikings, at his pro day with 4.45-second 40-yard time and 41.5-inch vertical

bigticket1
04-28-2012, 07:11 PM
According to a TV re-tweet,Dale has signed as a free-agent with the Packers. As much as I dislike them,playing with Aaron Rodgers is a great opportunity

tcbison
04-28-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm a Packers fan and was wondering where Moss would end up. It is a good opportunity for Dale and I sincerely hope it goes well for him. The Packers are pretty stacked at that position(some are speculating that they might keep 6 WRs this year) and some are also wondering if Donald Driver makes the team. The Packers had 2 WRs on the practice squad last year that two other teams(one was the Vikings) tried to sign away but they stayed with the Packers. Either way Dale Moss will learn a ton with the Packers. Good luck to him!

bubbajack
04-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Chances are heavily against him to make the Packers squad. Good luck to him nonetheless.

bigticket1
04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Chances are heavily against him to make the Packers squad. Good luck to him nonetheless. Packers have some older WR. If Moss impresses,practice squad should be a good possibility

joeboo22
04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I don't know why he went to the Packers. Being an un drafted FA you need to get reps in those camps to impress the coaches, don't know how he will get those reps for the Packers. But what do I know........

I'm wondering if there was some other considerations, more up front money, or more likely to make the practice squad if he doesn't make the team. I'm guessing his agent knows his stuff

bub94
04-28-2012, 09:07 PM
some are also wondering if Donald Driver makes the team.

I have to agree with this comment. He didn't have a horrible year but with the other receivers around, will the Packers keep him. I wasn't expecting Dale to start for a team but getting a year in with the Packers even on the practice squad would be great.

tcbison
04-28-2012, 10:27 PM
I have to agree with this comment. He didn't have a horrible year but with the other receivers around, will the Packers keep him. I wasn't expecting Dale to start for a team but getting a year in with the Packers even on the practice squad would be great.

Randal Cobb who was drafted last year is the long-term replacement for Driver and was getting a lot of playing time later in the year. I know if Dale Moss doesn't make the team there are other teams that have been associated with the Packers that would be there to pick up Moss if they believe he has potential. The Seahawks and Dolphins are two teams that now have former Packers management/coaches and if Moss has a good showing in camp he could easily latch on to those teams. Kole Heckendorf from NDSU was in the Packers training camp a few years ago but didn't make the team or practice squad but he later went to the Seahawks and a few other teams.

witness
04-29-2012, 02:28 AM
At first I thought that him going to the Packers was a terrible idea but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. Donald Driver is old, Greg Jennings will be old by the time Dale is ready and Jordy has two years left on his contract. Also, who wouldnt want to get passes by Aaron Rodgers. Not to mention, that his agent knows what hes doing. I'm calling it right now, Dale is the next Stevie Johnson(favorite NFL reciever btw) and I'm excited he stayed in the NFC North

RabbitObsessed
04-29-2012, 02:47 AM
A lot of things will have to break the right way for him to get a chance. Hope it works out.

witness
04-29-2012, 04:10 AM
A lot of things will have to break the right way for him to get a chance. Hope it works out.Why? This isn't JaRon Harris... I actually like it

jacks1
04-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Why? This isn't JaRon Harris... I actually like it

Why? Because Green Bay has the deepest receiving corps in the league. He will need to be nearly perfect in camp to sniff making the roster (or the Pack will have to suffer a rash of injuries at the WR position.) He'll also need to show that he can contribute on special teams. Everybody is pulling for Moss, but let's be realistic, the odds are against him.

Theee Catrabbit
04-29-2012, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=witness;203782Not to mention, that his agent knows what hes doing. [/QUOTE]

The same agent that said he'd "eat his computer if Moss was around that long" in the draft. That agent? Packers are a horrible spot for him to land.

bigticket1
04-29-2012, 10:34 AM
The Packers also signed two other free agent WR - really makes you wonder what their thinking is.

shot_5533
04-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Packers have some older WR. If Moss impresses,practice squad should be a good possibility
Change "some older" to "one older" and you have it right. The only spot open is possibly Driver's. Right now he is Dancing with the strars. Thompson and McCarthy both said they weren't sure if Driver was coming back or not. They had two guys on the practice squad last year to contend for that one spot. Jaron Harris signed with the Packers too and didn't last long. You'd think Moss would have know that. The Viqueens would have been a place to land. They need WR's. Coming from a guy who saw everyone Dale's plays last year and everone of the Packer's plays - Good Luck. I do wish him the best.

shot_5533
04-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Written in the Green Bay Press Gazette today - "Pass-catchers: The Packers are loaded at receiver and tight end, so itís no surprise they didnít draft anyone at those positions. There will be enough competition as it is with practice squad receiver Tori Gurley attempting to land on the active roster and four tight ends jockeying for position behind Jermichael Finley."

I'm very confused why Dale chose Green Bay.

goon
04-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Change "some older" to "one older" and you have it right. The only spot open is possibly Driver's. Right now he is Dancing with the strars. Thompson and McCarthy both said they weren't sure if Driver was coming back or not. They had two guys on the practice squad last year to contend for that one spot. Jaron Harris signed with the Packers too and didn't last long. You'd think Moss would have know that. The Viqueens would have been a place to land. They need WR's. Coming from a guy who saw everyone Dale's plays last year and everone of the Packer's plays - Good Luck. I do wish him the best.

Vigueens would have been smart to draft moss 7th round imo. Frankly the system stability the quaility of coaches the packers where a better choice. Even if he doesn't see the field he went to a winner which will only help him in the longer run.

CatchEmAll
04-29-2012, 02:04 PM
So what I'm missing in all of this questioning Moss to the Packers is...did he have another option? I'm sure someone "who has a friend that knows Dale's 3rd cousin twice removed heard from a guy at the gas station" can fill us in on all of his options.

The reality is he's getting a shot, plain and simple. No matter where he would have signed he's on the outside looking in, BUT he knows what he's up against and I would hope to damn heck he's going to do everything he can to land with someone (most likely a practice squad, but who knows). The fact is this, in 12 months he went from DI basketball player to getting a FA chance with an NFL team. Pretty sure he's got some skills and drive to make this last a while. And if the NFL doesn't work, there's always the CFL as a potential option

So, rather than questioning the decision, I say congratulations Dale on getting a shot. Make the most of it.

JamesJacks
04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Vigueens would have been smart to draft moss 7th round imo. Frankly the system stability the quaility of coaches the packers where a better choice. Even if he doesn't see the field he went to a winner which will only help him in the longer run.

Would be fun to see Moss in purple, but after taking two WR earlier in the draft there was no way they were going to take another receiver in the 7th round.

joeboo22
04-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm sure he had more offers, but what was the $ with the deal? maybe his agent was thinking, that because of the veterans with the GB that he will get more reps in camp, and playing time in pre-season.

GopherHole
04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm with JamesJacks in that for selfish reasons, I would have loved to see him go to the Vikings. However, when they drafted two WRs from Arkansas in the second round, things didn't look good. Their second Hog, Greg Childs, has similar attributes to Moss with proven success in the SEC prior to injuring his patellar tendon his junior year. In my opinion, while Moss would have been higher on the initial depth chart with the Vikes, I believe he may ultimately find more lasting success by starting with the Pack.

The Pack has a history of developing lesser name wideouts. Their current roster both proves that and offers optimism.
Donald Driver: 13 years in NFL out of Alcorn State - 7 years as a 1,000+ yd receiver, but last two 565 & 445 yds respectively. Retirement in not to distant future.
Greg Jennings: Starting 7th year out of Western Michigan - was on pace for 1,300+ yards prior to injury and would have been his 4th consecutive 1,000+ yd season.
Jordy Nelson: Led Pack with 15 TDs and 1,263 yards in 4th season out of K-State, not bad for a former walk-on.
James Jones: 6th year receiver out of San Jose State who failed to start a single game for Pack for the first time in his career. While he had a career best 7 TDs, still limited to 635 yds.
Randall Cobb: 2nd year receiver after All-America career at Kentucky where he was a QB, WR, and returned kicks. Next year will be key development year as he tries to become 3rd receiver.
Shaky Smithson: Free Agent out of Utah who saw no action with Pack. Likely better returner than receiver with average size and skills, despite his ability to 'shake' defenders.
Diondre Borel: FA from Utah State where he was a 3-year QB after playing as a WR his freshman year. Make or break year for average player of size and skill.
Tori Gurly: FA from South Carolina, player most like Moss with excellent size and potential, made jump to NFL after only two marginal years as a letter winner for the Gamecocks.

Those are the eight receivers who were on the roster at the end of last season. As previously mentioned on this board, Driver is past his prime and could be cut or retires. Jennings and Nelson are the core of the receivers. Both are excellent role models in work ethic and proving what can happen from modest beginnings. Jones will likely have a journeyman career for the next couple of years at best, who knows if it will all be with the Pack. Cobb is the talent that will likely be developed as the third receiver, but if he fails to develop that paves the way for one of the free agents. Of the three free agents, Gurly is the player that Moss will likely need to beat out. He is 6'4" and 232 with tons of potential, but a limited history to base a future NFL career on. Borel and Smithson will likely compete for a last roster spot with the either facing the real potential of being cut.

I like the potential for Moss to develop this year. The Pack will likely utilize five receivers on the active roster this year. Two are potential pro-bowlers, one may retire, one is a journeyman at best, and one will be looked at hard as a third receiver. Moss will be competing with three free agents from last year and Marcus Rivers from Buffalo this year. Rivers is a large figure at 6'5" and 220 lbs, however, his 60 catches yielded only 600 yards and 2 TDs. Moss is a much better athlete. If Moss can prove that he is not as raw as other experts paint him, he should land a practice team position at the start of the year. With a year or two of development and no major roster changes for the Pack, he could become a legit Packer. While this would be exciting to see, I would still have a hard time rooting for the Pack.

shot_5533
04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Great article site on Moss on the Green Bay Press Gazette Packer site. http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120429/PKR01/120429045/Packers-rookie-free-agents-include-basketball-player

SDSUfromND
04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Dale Moss is an athlete that can find success in the NFL. I'd say if he adds some muscle and just gets a little more football savvy which comes with the experience- he can be a legitimate NFL WR.

The Sports Block
05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
The Sports Block May 1st

Our first reaction to the 2012 NFL Draft
http://chirb.it/Nrb5Kr

Our reaction to the Vikings Draft and our thoughts on Dale Moss signing with the Green Bay Packers
http://chirb.it/vmK1am

Our favorite and worst draft picks of all-time from our favorite teams and the Redskins taking Kirk Cousins
http://chirb.it/kgmhq5

The NBA and NHL Playoffs
http://chirb.it/dPCGx4

Travis shares some stories from his internship with the Charlotte Bobcats
http://chirb.it/vwAqq1

shot_5533
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Packer podcast talks about Moss. The sportswriters are high on Moss. They think he has a good chance of sticking and these guys are cynical. They talk about him at about the 31 minute mark. They say his high jump of 41 1/2 and his broad jump of 10' 10" would be up at the top of the combine.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/Packers_Podcast_32112.html?c=y&audioFile=74141465

ringthebells
07-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Argus article on Dale: http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120725/SPORTS03/307250037/Dale-Moss-has-lot-prove-entering-Packers-training-camp?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

jack power
08-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Reminder: Packers on ESPN at 7 tonight

el_presidente
08-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Catch by Moss! It was for 8 yards. Great to see him get a catch and throw a couple of nice blocks.

Edit: He just got a second catch for 7 yards.
Edit 2: Third catch for 14 yards and bonus announcer talk about him being from South Dakota State and a former basketball player like Antonio Gates!

jacks1
08-09-2012, 10:18 PM
3 catches for 29 yds. He certainly has the look of a guy that can play in the league. Not sure if he'll crack the gameday active roster (this year) barring injury, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the practice squad.

rabbits64
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
3 catches for 29 yds. He certainly has the look of a guy that can play in the league. Not sure if he'll crack the gameday active roster (this year) barring injury, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the practice squad.

I agree. He is only going to get better. He played a ton of snaps, and I personally think he looked better than some other fringe WR's. He would be a great fit into this team next year after a year on the Practice Squad. Although a team with some WR needs (Vikings) might be calling if he gets put on the practice squad.

witness
08-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree. He is only going to get better. He played a ton of snaps, and I personally think he looked better than some other fringe WR's. He would be a great fit into this team next year after a year on the Practice Squad. Although a team with some WR needs (Vikings) might be calling if he gets put on the practice squad.Moss did look good and he seemed to catch the ball well. He played the whole second half, as I am guessing the Packers want him to get more playing time due to his potential. However, if the Packers put him on the practice squad, they run the risk of another team picking him up so we shall see. Regardless, he looked pretty good for his first pro game. Still kinda crazy to me that a guy that I watched since he was a freshman in high school is playing for the Packers.

RabbitObsessed
08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
There would have to be an injury, retirement, or arrests for him to crack the roster. The packers have 5 established receivers. So unless they decide to take 6 on their roster, which almost no team does, then he is fighting for the practice squad.

tcbison
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Dale Moss did get cut today but reports that he could be a strong candidate for the practice squad depending on if some of the other WRs make 53 man team rosters.

rabbits64
08-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Dale Moss did get cut today but reports that he could be a strong candidate for the practice squad depending on if some of the other WRs make 53 man team rosters.

Living in 'Sconi, I had the opportunity to watch every pre-season game and see Moss. He was on the field quite a bit, but he didn't get a lot of targets. A lot of it was due to horrible QB play from Harrell. He has some stiff competition as well from other guys who were on the practice squad the year before. I think he has so much to learn about the position. If he could land on the Packers practice squad it would be huge and would have a great shot at making the 53 man roster next year. Donald Driver is likely in his final season, James Jones is always on the bubble, and they carry 6 WR's.

tcbison
08-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Living in 'Sconi, I had the opportunity to watch every pre-season game and see Moss. He was on the field quite a bit, but he didn't get a lot of targets. A lot of it was due to horrible QB play from Harrell. He has some stiff competition as well from other guys who were on the practice squad the year before. I think he has so much to learn about the position. If he could land on the Packers practice squad it would be huge and would have a great shot at making the 53 man roster next year. Donald Driver is likely in his final season, James Jones is always on the bubble, and they carry 6 WR's.

I follow the Packers closely as well but haven't been able to see all that much of the pre-season games. I see Gurley and Borel got cut today but there is a good chance someone will pick them up. No word if Boykins made the final roster as of yet. There continues to be talk of trading James Jones. Agreed that if Moss can make the practice squad that would be huge.

jackrabit1
08-31-2012, 01:07 PM
It's official... Moss has been cut.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20120831/PKR01/120831031

Just another reason to hate the Packers, I guess.

ringthebells
09-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Rumor I heard tonight is that Dale will sign with the Bucs. Not sure if it practice squad or active roster though. Hope it's true!

ringthebells
09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120901/SPORTS0202/120901003/Area-NFL-news-Dale-Moss-sign-Tampa-Bay?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Just found this on the Argus site. Good news for Dale and Colin.

joeboo22
09-01-2012, 11:35 PM
http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/9/1/3284694/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-player-eligibility

Here is some interesting notes on what it means to be on a practice squad. Who you can sign with and what you get paid (minimal $5,700/week)

Krow
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
The Dale Moss Fan Page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dale-Moss-Fan-Page/258520420877662) says that Moss will be joining the Bucs' practice squad. I haven't seen anything announced, but that would be great if it were true!

NoVaJack
09-02-2012, 09:44 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/viewart/20120902/SPORTS03/309020035/Dale-Moss-sign-Tampa-Bay-today-Colin-Cochart-Dallas?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports

76Rabbit
09-03-2012, 03:36 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/bucs-finalize-practice-squad

GopherHole
09-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Interesting to note that the Bucs have 2 WRs on the practice squad. Bert Reed (http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reed_bert00.html), a 5'10" speedster from Florida State, is the other. He was apparantly one of the faster Seminoles, but his official 40 time is 4.48. He is the 4th all-time in receptions for the Seminoles, and 12th in career yardage. Yet none of his seasons came close to Moss' lone season with the Rabbits. While Reed has experience, big time collegiate resume, and noted speed; he doesn't appear to have the same upside as Moss. But then again, I make a living behind a desk and comment on fan forums. :cool:

jacksfaninne
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Here is some interesting notes on what it means to be on a practice squad. Who you can sign with and what you get paid (minimal $5,700/week)

Not sure I've ever seen $5,700/week referred to as minimal.

I guess it's all relative, eh joeboo? :)