Grass v Turf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass v Turf

As I think about the Jacks returning to camp--I am excited that camp is here but also I look at the field that the Jacks play on and it saddens me. I give props to the crew that work on the field and they do a great job but I just can't believe the SDSU administration have not put in turf.

Re: Grass v Turf

Turf, Turf, Turf bring it on so we can practice at Coughlin and hold other events there. I know it's part of the new stadium, but would like to see it be a priority now. With Brookings High playing at Couglin and the range of weather there is no way the grounds crew can keep that field in a good, safe condition.

Comment

D 1 Field? No way!! I just think of the South Dakota H.S. kids that play on nice turf! WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
        D 1 Field? No way!! I just think of the South Dakota H.S. kids that play on nice turf! WOW!
        We probably won't get a new field turf until the new stadium is built. Sad for the guys that are now playing and for the guys that have played in the past. Bottom line is that if the high school team plays on it they should have got a new turf years ago. Can't tell me the $ isn't there. Howard Wood Memorial Field got it done, no reason we should not of!

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
          Even though NDSU has turf its crap, and your right when ND and SD High Schools and Concordia College in Moorhead are playing on new Field and Sprint turf!!
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Most d2, and LESSER schools have better fields. They may not be able to seat(or stand) the amount of fans, but most all have better facilities. PERIOD. the field sucks! nuf said.

Comment

My guess is the administration may have stronger feelings about getting turf than some of those expressed in this thread...just takes money.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                My guess is the administration may have stronger feelings about getting turf than some of those expressed in this thread...just takes money.
                Money....yes.. Everthing takes it...

Crazy how all the d2 and NAIA, even d3 have better fields... how come Brookings schools have not stepped up? Time to crap or get off the pot!

Comment

Turf may be trendy but it is not a panacea. There's a reason why the NFL trended back to grass in the '90s and why 20 of 31 NFL stadiums have grass fields. The injuries on turf vs. grass remains unsettled, especially non-contact injuries and scrape/burn bacterial-related injuries, and there are ongoing questions about exposure to lead, zinc and other hazardous materials for the athletes. Grass fields cool on warm days, turf becomes an oven. Once you go there you are pretty much stuck because the synthetic material and that ground-up-tire/silicon rubber stuff that fills it in (and sticks to everything it comes in contact with) pretty much kills the micro life below the field. And replacement is an issue; the Seahawks had to replace their field a couple years ago after the original Field Turf got compressed so badly it was causing injuries.
                  http://www.njea.org/pdfs/HS_GrassTurf_May08.pdf

Comment

The field is stuck in the 70's. Its time to put a little pressure on Brookings high school. Crap or get off the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by 2o1o View Post
                      The field is stuck in the 70's. Its time to put a little pressure on Brookings high school. Crap or get off the pot.
                      Brookings High School stepped up several years ago... who do you think paid for the lights at CAS?
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                        Brookings High School stepped up several years ago... who do you think paid for the lights at CAS?
                        Thanks for pointing this out. Some of the contributors to this thread appear to be ones who love to pile on whenever they get a chance. It makes you wonder where their loyality lies.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                          Time to step up again!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                            Time to step up again!
                            The high school has stepped up plenty. Maybe it is time for "fans" to step up and write a couple checks to pay for it.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              The high school has stepped up plenty. Maybe it is time for "fans" to step up and write a couple checks to pay for it.
                              I thought it was a stupid idea to start with. IMO they should play on their own field and the Jacks have their own field especially since its grass and not great grass to begin with.. Whats done is done but lets be realistic here- probably the worst field in all of Div.1 except maybe for the Dome turf in Vermillion.

Comment

Working...
                              X