Dakotadome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakotadome

I've been looking at some new pics of the new seats they're putting up in the DakotaDump. Now I am an avid hobbyist of stadium design (I spent 3 years in architectural drafting school and another three years in architecture at NDSU), I don't have an architecture degree, but I do know a lot about stadium/civic facility construction, access codes, design parameters, etc. And I saw a recent new pic of the seats they're putting in there. And I remember one SDSU fan on this board some time ago saying that there's no freakin' way that that place has more than 8,500 seats. Not only do I agree with that fan, I think he should change his number of 8,500 to 8,000.

Think about this: I do not know the exact number of rows on the main side of that facility. I've heard the term "28th row" being mentioned over on the Yotes board, I do not know if that's the last row, I'll be nice and give them 30 rows of seating. But not all 30 rows go from endline to endline. There are notches of sections taken out in the top corners. Let's assume that with an average seat width of 18 inches, that 200 seats are in a row for the first 13 rows below the entryways (The Romans used to call them "vomitoriums", no lie), that makes 2,600 seats in the lower section of seating. Let's reduce the seat number of rows 14-30 from 200 seats to 150 due to the reduced length. That gives the upper section 17 x 150 seats, or 2,550 seats. There will be seats taken out due to entryway space, I'll be nice and take away only 50. That's 2,500+2,600, that's 5,100 seats. I do not know if the area above is just a press/coaches area, or if those are also suites. Either way, I will be even more generous and say that there are 5,500 seats on their main grandstand.

Now let's look at the student side. SDSU's east side bleachers alone (I won't smack those things for purposes of this thread) seat around 3,000. USD's visitor sideline bleachers do not cover as long of a length of space as them, they have a big chunk not rolled out to accomodate sideline space for players. I think there may be 16 or so rows there just like at Coughlin. (I'll assume) Because it's possible to cram more people in there (per linear foot), if you assume that the capacity for that space with seats (using 18 inches per ass) would be between 1,700 to 1,800 seats (150 seats in a row times 16 rows, then subtract the chunk not used, which is probably half the rows, or 8 rows, times an estimated 80 seats), I'll give again the benefit of the doubt and say that 2,500 can cram in there. This gives you only 8,000 or so seats.

Someone at USD is lying thru their teeth when they say 10,100 people can fit in there. There have been announced attendances for games they have had that were 9,000-10,000 people. I do not believe this one bit. And I personally do not like the idea of a school coming into our football conference, the third best conference in the FCS, who's stadium only seats 8,000 people. Even the U of Richmond built a beautiful new stadium that seats 8,700 people, and they get a lot of crap for the size of their facility. I'm just worried what the perception of our conference is going to be like with USD in the conference. I agree with them being in the Summit. They are an improvement over Centenary. But I really do not like them being in the MVFC.

Just had to share that.

Re: Dakotadome

Does it really matter how many that Dome holds when it will only be full once every 2 years? I've been to a few games there over the past several years and let's just say there has been plenty of room for fans to spread out (especially on the "students" side). From what you see over there you would think they have a total enrollment of about 1,500.

Comment

tl;dr

I've been to games when there have been a legit 9-10k in there.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

You're looking at 10 rows, not 8 rows by 80 yards, and then another 10 rows x 50 yards on the bleacher side.

Before they rolled back the seats for the coaching boxes on the far side, you could probably have put close to 10k in the Dome. Now that they've got those seats rolled back, ~8500 seems reasonable.

Also, there are plans to add full grandstand seating on both sides of the field when they build a separate basketball venue

there's room for it:

And, finally, it would not be good for the Summit--and therefore the MVFC, for USD to be in the Big Sky.
        Attached Files

Comment

BNator... Whether they can hold 8.500 or 10,803 or blah blah blah.... isn't the ultimate point that if you play football indoors you have a finite number of people you can cram under the roof, whereas if the game is played outdoors, where it is supposed to be played, the possibilities just go on and on?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBisonator View Post
            I've been looking at some new pics of the new seats they're putting up in the DakotaDump. Now I am an avid hobbyist of stadium design (I spent 3 years in architectural drafting school and another three years in architecture at NDSU), I don't have an architecture degree, but I do know a lot about stadium/civic facility construction, access codes, design parameters, etc. And I saw a recent new pic of the seats they're putting in there. And I remember one SDSU fan on this board some time ago saying that there's no freakin' way that that place has more than 8,500 seats. Not only do I agree with that fan, I think he should change his number of 8,500 to 8,000.

Think about this: I do not know the exact number of rows on the main side of that facility. I've heard the term "28th row" being mentioned over on the Yotes board, I do not know if that's the last row, I'll be nice and give them 30 rows of seating. But not all 30 rows go from endline to endline. There are notches of sections taken out in the top corners. Let's assume that with an average seat width of 18 inches, that 200 seats are in a row for the first 13 rows below the entryways (The Romans used to call them "vomitoriums", no lie), that makes 2,600 seats in the lower section of seating. Let's reduce the seat number of rows 14-30 from 200 seats to 150 due to the reduced length. That gives the upper section 17 x 150 seats, or 2,550 seats. There will be seats taken out due to entryway space, I'll be nice and take away only 50. That's 2,500+2,600, that's 5,100 seats. I do not know if the area above is just a press/coaches area, or if those are also suites. Either way, I will be even more generous and say that there are 5,500 seats on their main grandstand.

Now let's look at the student side. SDSU's east side bleachers alone (I won't smack those things for purposes of this thread) seat around 3,000. USD's visitor sideline bleachers do not cover as long of a length of space as them, they have a big chunk not rolled out to accomodate sideline space for players. I think there may be 16 or so rows there just like at Coughlin. (I'll assume) Because it's possible to cram more people in there (per linear foot), if you assume that the capacity for that space with seats (using 18 inches per ass) would be between 1,700 to 1,800 seats (150 seats in a row times 16 rows, then subtract the chunk not used, which is probably half the rows, or 8 rows, times an estimated 80 seats), I'll give again the benefit of the doubt and say that 2,500 can cram in there. This gives you only 8,000 or so seats.

Someone at USD is lying thru their teeth when they say 10,100 people can fit in there. There have been announced attendances for games they have had that were 9,000-10,000 people. I do not believe this one bit. And I personally do not like the idea of a school coming into our football conference, the third best conference in the FCS, who's stadium only seats 8,000 people. Even the U of Richmond built a beautiful new stadium that seats 8,700 people, and they get a lot of crap for the size of their facility. I'm just worried what the perception of our conference is going to be like with USD in the conference. I agree with them being in the Summit. They are an improvement over Centenary. But I really do not like them being in the MVFC.

Just had to share that.
            Maybe they count all the players, coaches, and workers? (Just kidding....I think) I agree with you to an extent, although it's tough for SDSU fans to knock on their football stadium when ours is lacking as well. Once SDSU get's their stadium built in the next 5-10 yrs, then we can lay into them a little more.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

We can still lay into them a little. At least in Coughlin you can see the sidelines. And Coughlin never smells bad. I've been in the Dome and thought I had stepped into an out house, on the prairie ...
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

It's easy to see your field. It's the brown dirt with white stripe paintings. In November, Coughlin smells like frostbite. Other than that, you have a GREAT field.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBisonator View Post

Just had to share that.
                  Hey Bisonater, I will say this to your "expert" opinion. One, where you got your degree speaks for your "expertise". Second, and in defense of not only the DakotaDome and Coughlin, at least our schools didn't have to run to the "city fathers" and get them to build us a facility. I played on your "dogtrack" back in the D-II days, and of all the NCC schoolds, your field sucked the most. It was even worse than Inman Field at USD.

If USD or SDSU was in Sioux Falls, they would have far greater support, both financial and attendance than that iceberg you call a university.

Comment

I always had a little fun at old Inman Field.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I always had a little fun at old Inman Field.
                      Me to

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        In November, Coughlin smells like frostbite.
                        Better hope you find your legwarmers by next November.
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          It's easy to see your field. It's the brown dirt with white stripe paintings. In November, Coughlin smells like frostbite. Other than that, you have a GREAT field.
                          Forgot: Actual sky overhead, smell of fall.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            smell of fall.
                            Dakotadome: Smell of fail.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                              Better hope you find your legwarmers by next November.
                              Looking forward to it. Will there be any tailgating I would be welcome at, or do we have to do our own?

Comment

Working...
                              X