R.I.P. Harmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Harmon

Was saddened to hear that HOFer Harmon Killebrew passed away this morning after a short battle with esophageal cancer. I was seven when the Twins moved to Minnesota in 1961,and Harmon was the first and biggest sports hero I have had. He was not only a great player,but was truly a great,humble human being.

Re: R.I.P. Harmon

Had not heard that he died till the last post. He was a true humble star. Mays and Aaron got more press and were probably better all round players. Yet during the decade of the sixties, Harmon, was the man. He was greatly feared by all opposing pitchers, including but not limited to McClain, Lolich, Sam MacDowell, Whitey Ford, Jim Palmer and on and on. He set the tone for the way Twins players play yet today, hard, fair yet humble. He was one of my first sports hero's too. Even though I live quite a ways from the Twin Cities, the Killebrews, Oliva's Allison, Kaat, Grant, Hall, Rollins, Perry were all my first sporting hero's.

Comment

He made the cancer public some time ago, not sure when. They announced late last week that all treatment options had been exhausted and that he we receiving hospice care. They had a nice tribute to him over the Twins radio network this weekend. One of the best if not the best Twin ever. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

He was diagnosed in December 2010, and had made an appearance at Spring Training in Florida in March, so it had seemed that things were going fairly well in his treatment to the onlookers such as myself.

Too bad. From all accounts Harmon was a class act. He will be missed by Twins fans and baseball fans.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

A great tribute to the Killer from a former team-mate. www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18080372

Comment

Remember going to Twins games when I was little and my dad's radio station broadcast Twins games. Every year he would sponser a bus trip to take in a couple of games, and we would go up when we were visiting grandpa in Elysian. Always amazed when Harmon would knock one out to the upper deck at the old Met.

Comment

Killebrew, Carew and Tony O. are the first Twins I remember. They, along with countless hours spent on a tractor listening to Herb Carneal, made me a lifelong, diehard Twins fan.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
              X