X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stadium-talk/funding SDSU/USD on KELO

Nice video/story on KELO last night.

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive...File=042511eye
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: New Stadium-talk/funding SDSU/USD on KELO

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
    Not sure if anyone else has watched. But the first colored drawings of the stadium that I have seen are in it. Here they are, not the best quality as they were snipped from the movie.

Wow. That stadium/complex would be legit.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I like that USD's AD was wearing what appeared to be a blue and yellow striped tie.

Concept looks good. Just wish we could get SOMETHING going in the right direction to improve the stadium. Heck, I'd take field turf as a start. And yes, I typed that just to rile up some of the board members.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        I like that USD's AD was wearing what appeared to be a blue and yellow striped tie.

Concept looks good. Just wish we could get SOMETHING going in the right direction to improve the stadium. Heck, I'd take field turf as a start. And yes, I typed that just to rile up some of the board members.
        Field turf is needed especially since the high school uses the field as well.!!

Comment

No discussion needs to be started. AD Sell has made public comments on more than one occasion that the new stadium will have field turf.

Comment

Wow that stadium looks fantastic.

Comment

dang it, i cant see it i am at work are there pictures anywhere else of it?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The plan looks nice as far as one can see from the tape. I hope it happens for you. My question is this. When they showed film of your football team, there were alot of empty seats. I understand the November "outdoor" fair weather fan syndrome, but do you sell out the rest of the games? Is this a project that if we build it they will come?

I would ask USD the same question. USD has a big time need for basketball and volleyball, so an arena there is a slam dunk. But they are also talking about rennovating and increasing permenent seating on the other side, and right now USD doesn't sell out football games> Same question: Is it because if you build it they will come?

My hope is that both schools athletic programs enhance themselves and make them a legit D-1 program and compete at a high level.

My last question is: Do you think you have the fan financial backing to build that football facility? I question whether USD does or not. I think AD Seyler has done a good job, and maybe he has a corporate game plan in his back pocket, but I see it as a stretch that the fan base can give enough to build the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  The plan looks nice as far as one can see from the tape. I hope it happens for you. My question is this. When they showed film of your football team, there were alot of empty seats. I understand the November "outdoor" fair weather fan syndrome, but do you sell out the rest of the games? Is this a project that if we build it they will come?
                  2006 ave. home attendece: 9652
                  2007 ave. home attendence: 11,218
                  2008 ave. home attendence: 9906
                  2009 ave. home attendence: 13,265
                  2010 ave. home attendence: 10,023

Current seating capacity of the stadium is around 10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

I would ask USD the same question. USD has a big time need for basketball and volleyball, so an arena there is a slam dunk. But they are also talking about rennovating and increasing permenent seating on the other side, and right now USD doesn't sell out football games> Same question: Is it because if you build it they will come?

My hope is that both schools athletic programs enhance themselves and make them a legit D-1 program and compete at a high level.

My last question is: Do you think you have the fan financial backing to build that football facility? I question whether USD does or not. I think AD Seyler has done a good job, and maybe he has a corporate game plan in his back pocket, but I see it as a stretch that the fan base can give enough to build the arena.

The best way to respond to the attendance is that they're building the stadium for 30+ yrs down the road and not for the next five years. Building a slightly larger stadium won't benefit SDSU and their fans for the long run.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

If you're selling out every game, you're venue is too small.

It is a similar, but not exactly equivalent argument, that if your average attendance is greater than your seating capacity, you're venue is too small.

In both cases, you're probably "leaving money on the table" as there are likely more people who would come to at least some of the games that do not because of the venue capacity issues.

The incremental approach may be what SDSU is forced into for Coughlin--it will overall be a more expensive way, but it is not subject to the "sticker-shock" effect of a comprehensive re-build of the stadium. My wild guess is that the incremental approach will probably add 25% or more to the total cost of whatever SDSU finally winds up with, vs. a single-project approach.

If they don't get approval for the comprehensive stadium study in the next 12 months, I would expect to start seeing serious talk about replacing the east stands--maybe a $2-5 million affair, followed by another run at a maybe $10M west stand rebuild.

(This assumes that the west stands will continue to pass structural inspections. If at some point the west stands are determined to be unsafe, that pretty much forces the issue all the way around, at which point, depending on how bad the structural problem is, how bad the state finances are, and when on the calendar the state engineer lowers the boom, you may possibly see Howard Wood as SDSU's home field, while Coughlin gets its facelift.)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Of course, if they dink around too much with this, HWF might not be available either, it's scheduled to undergo renovations over the next year and a half.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Oh no, McEneaney Field!?
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

The DakotaDome?

Comment

Originally posted by yote53 View Post
                              the dakotadome?
                              what a great idea

Comment

Working...
                              X