Freshman Booted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshman Booted

I see that (2) freshmen players have been dismissed from SDSU's football team for Academic reasons and breaking team rules. Any idea what those rules were?

The names were Boykins and Crenshaw. Were they projected to play?

ProPar80: This isn't smack,ok!! I am just curious as to what happened

Re: Freshman Booted

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...sectionstories

From the Argus....

Comment

Thanks for posting this Rabidrabbit. Boykin looks like a good player, but rules are rules. I think the others will get the message.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        I see that (2) freshmen players have been dismissed from SDSU's football team for Academic reasons and breaking team rules. Any idea what those rules were?

The names were Boykins and Crenshaw. Were they projected to play?

ProPar80: This isn't smack,ok!! I am just curious as to what happened
        What happen is very simple. They did not do well enough in the classroom and did not follow team rules. Funny if you read the Argus you would have known what happened. Maybe we should start a USD Failure thread.

Comment

When we first picked up Ramel last spring I started following him on twitter and it's no surprise to me that he ended up getting kicked off the team. I'm actually surprised he lasted as long as he did.

His dad is Russell Block Spencer and he runs the rap label Block Entertainment which is owned by P Diddy. He was close with Tupac growing up and has had a hand in founding rappers like Boyz n the Hood, Young Joc, Young Jeezy & Gucci Mane. Ramel's brother is the rapper Gorilla Zoe and Ramel has is own rap group.

Like I said, no surprise he didn't make it. It seemed he was much more interested in becoming a rapper than a becoming a football player.

It's too bad Avery got booted as well because he had alot of potential. Would have seen the field alot next season at CB, possibly even as a starter.

Even though we don't know exactly what these kids did wrong, I think it's a good thing that Coach Stig tends to keep things in house. They broke the rules, they were booted off, move on and focus on the players doing the right things.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
            When we first picked up Ramel last spring I started following him on twitter and it's no surprise to me that he ended up getting kicked off the team. I'm actually surprised he lasted as long as he did.

His dad is Russell Block Spencer and he runs the rap label Block Entertainment which is owned by P Diddy. He was close with Tupac growing up and has had a hand in founding rappers like Boyz n the Hood, Young Joc, Young Jeezy & Gucci Mane. Ramel's brother is the rapper Gorilla Zoe and Ramel has is own rap group.

Like I said, no surprise he didn't make it. It seemed he was much more interested in becoming a rapper than a becoming a football player.

It's too bad Avery got booted as well because he had alot of potential. Would have seen the field alot next season at CB, possibly even as a starter.

Even though we don't know exactly what these kids did wrong, I think it's a good thing that Coach Stig tends to keep things in house. They broke the rules, they were booted off, move on and focus on the players doing the right things.
            Good job Coach Stig- we don't need or want any thugs!

Comment

When you sign up to play football for the Jackrabbits you sign up to play for Coach Stig. Coach Stig has an expectation for every young man that decides to make a commitment to his team. If you don't meet those expectations or if you break the well-defined set of rules than you don't stay on the team very long. I respect that.

The same set of standards is not present at many if not most of the other programs in our conference and region. I remember being a part of a conversation with an individual who was the previous A.D. at a certain school as he expressed his frustration with the football program and enforcement of academic and behavioral standards. I consider the details of that conversation confidential but I am confident that other A.D.'s share in his frustration sometimes.

I, for one, do not think it is necessary to recruit or retain student athletes who violate standards for the sake of being competitive. Being a member of an athletic team at SDSU isn't just about winning or losing a competition, its about a lot more than that. So, this is good thing for the Jackrabbits and hopefully proves a point to the young men involved.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                When you sign up to play football for the Jackrabbits you sign up to play for Coach Stig. Coach Stig has an expectation for every young man that decides to make a commitment to his team. If you don't meet those expectations or if you break the well-defined set of rules than you don't stay on the team very long. I respect that.

The same set of standards is not present at many if not most of the other programs in our conference and region. I remember being a part of a conversation with an individual who was the previous A.D. at a certain school as he expressed his frustration with the football program and enforcement of academic and behavioral standards. I consider the details of that conversation confidential but I am confident that other A.D.'s share in his frustration sometimes.

I, for one, do not think it is necessary to recruit or retain student athletes who violate standards for the sake of being competitive. Being a member of an athletic team at SDSU isn't just about winning or losing a competition, its about a lot more than that. So, this is good thing for the Jackrabbits and hopefully proves a point to the young men involved.
                Yep I agree!!! Send them to UNI where they belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

if only Zooropa could see this thread, after all the **** he threw at a wall towards me.......

Seriously though good to see them get booted rather than hiden, like UND does with their Hockey players
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                    if only Zooropa could see this thread, after all the **** he threw at a wall towards me.......

Seriously though good to see them get booted rather than hiden, like UND does with their Hockey players
                    Because these guys were charged with felonies, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Maybe we should start a USD Failure thread.
                      Nope they have an entire Fan Forum dedicated to that. If I smack it's because I care....I will be awaiting my censure.
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Because these guys were charged with felonies, right?

Excellent factual distinction for our friends from the north.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          Nope they have an entire Fan Forum dedicated to that. If I smack it's because I care....I will be awaiting my censure.
                          Time out. Here's your censure. No smack on USD in his thread. Yoteforever's question was fair: I had not read the Argus either (no wisecracks about a JackJD fail thread. . )

The give and take between SDSU fans and NDSU fans about athletes having problems brings back some awful memories about our men's basketball program as we started transition. And keep in mind that of those two cases, one was acquitted at trial and charges were dismissed against the other. I think Coach Stig does as good a job as is possible in recruiting the right guys but some guys won't cut it so they get cut.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                            Good job Coach Stig- we don't need or want any thugs!

Rapper does not equal Thug. Rules are rules,They broke them not to mention goofed off in class, so they are gone, but I don't think calling kids names is cool either.

Comment

Originally posted by FeistyRedheadAZ View Post
                              ... but I don't think calling kids names is cool either.
                              I'll toast to this! Rep. pts. coming your way!

Comment

Working...
                              X