Spring Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Game

Well, I didn't make it, but it sounds like it was quite similar to last year. The defense dominated, winning 79-29. Turnovers a-plenty. I was hoping for a nice showing from Thomas O'Brien and that, perhaps, he would emerge as a leader. Instead...three picks and less than half of his passes completed. Not good. Not good at all. I'm sure that should give all of us something to chat about, eh? Especially since Austin Sumner had a decent showing...at least if statistics are to be believed.

Did anybody make it to the game and get to watch? If so, let's hear your take.

Also, has there ever been talk of a more traditional scoring method for the spring game. I'm sure others use this method, but I sure can't name names.

Ready...discuss!
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Re: Spring Game

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I didn't make it, but it sounds like it was quite similar to last year. The defense dominated, winning 79-29. Turnovers a-plenty. I was hoping for a nice showing from Thomas O'Brien and that, perhaps, he would emerge as a leader. Instead...three picks and less than half of his passes completed. Not good. Not good at all. I'm sure that should give all of us something to chat about, eh? Especially since Austin Sumner had a decent showing...at least if statistics are to be believed.

Did anybody make it to the game and get to watch? If so, let's hear your take.

Also, has there ever been talk of a more traditional scoring method for the spring game. I'm sure others use this method, but I sure can't name names.

Ready...discuss!
    The way the scoring works, I have a hard time believing the offense will ever beat the defense, no matter how well the offense does.

I thought all three QB's didn't look very sharp. The wildlife was flying all over Coughlin.

I was probably most impressed with Mason Winterboer. Dude was handing out some licks when he had the ball.

Also, my personal favorite, Bo Helm, had a nice pick on a TOB laser across the middle, which would've gone for an offensive 6, until Bo came from nowhere and picked and returned a ways.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Well the defense looked very good flying to the ball and making plays all over the field. A couple defensive names mentioned a bunch were Kool and Chase Douglas, they really looked good.

Offensively if Rabbit fans have to watch TO for another season they are going to be in for another dissapointing year. It would have been nice to see Sumner with the 1st unit vs the 1st D, it is hard to say how good he is when he is going against the 2's. Vs the 2's he had some very nice plays, a long throw on a post route that they brought back because the official blew it dead. Apparently the zebra thought he would have been sacked but everyone there knew he stepped up in the pocket before the sack would have happend. He had some very nice runs and his pocket awareness is just so much better than the others.

When its all said and done next fall they would be foolish not to go with Sumner. There seems to be a positive vibe when he's on the field among the players in the game and even those on the sidelines, it's like they know something is going to happen.

Comment

From the sound of things the offense was more working on things then running the offense it will run next year. Sounds like Tyrel Kool wasn't very involved, Tiefentaller who will be the speed receiver was out, which probably didn't help much either. I think the offense will be fine, or at least good enough for the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          From the sound of things the offense was more working on things then running the offense it will run next year. Sounds like Tyrel Kool wasn't very involved, Tiefentaller who will be the speed receiver was out, which probably didn't help much either. I think the offense will be fine, or at least good enough for the defense.
          And lets not forget our defense has been working against our offense all spring. Would liked o have seen Sumner against our #1 defense. Big Difference

Comment

The QBs only had to be touched to be considered sacked. So the QBs had to get rid of the ball quickly. That contributed to some INTs and the offense's rather flat showing. The defense looked good, especially the linebackers.
            This space for lease.

Comment

LBs played well. I was surprised how well Van Voorst and Kilgore played. We will be very deep at LB this fall.

QBs looked terrible!! Wind or no wind they struggled. TOB took many sacks and threw 3 picks.

Defense is always further along than the offense at this point, lets hope the offense catches up!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                And lets not forget our defense has been working against our offense all spring. Would liked o have seen Sumner against our #1 defense. Big Difference
                Another reason, perhaps, to make even teams, if one can, and ditch this screwy system and play like normal.

Not encouraged by that I've heard about TOB...I cannot lie.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  Another reason, perhaps, to make even teams, if one can, and ditch this screwy system and play like normal.

Not encouraged by that I've heard about TOB...I cannot lie.
                  every school has a different system for spring games. From the sounds of it SDSU's is one of the more complicated system

As far as QB go on any fanboard that has had their spring game and 90% of them hate their starter and want their backup to start.

Comment

It's a spring game. If TOB had thrown 3 touchdown passes it doesn't mean he's going to be an all conference player. Sure we don't want to see any SDSU quarterback throw picks, but the spring game isn't the greatest measuring stick as to how the season is going to play out. joeboo22 is right, backup quarterbacks are usually the fan's favorite player on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                      It's a spring game. If TOB had thrown 3 touchdown passes it doesn't mean he's going to be an all conference player. Sure we don't want to see any SDSU quarterback throw picks, but the spring game isn't the greatest measuring stick as to how the season is going to play out. joeboo22 is right, backup quarterbacks are usually the fan's favorite player on the team.

With an agreeable chuckle I will second JamesJacks comments. I was not at the game so have no first hand comments to offer. I do know from sitting in a few Difference Makers meetings last fall that TOB had a long rope so to speak with Coach Stig. He often mentioned how TOB got together with the WR and watche film together on his own time. So its hard to read Coach Stig's mind and is TOB still his main man? I am guessing TOB will be our starter on Sept 3. This game gave the stall insight on what needs to be worked on before Sept 3.

Comment

There is no reason to panic over the QB situation. The highly touted O-line looked every bit as challenged, and possibly more challenged, than the QBs. A supposedlly talented crew of RBs did not show much either. There was even less of a running game than there was a passing game. As others have noted, the wind, the soft field, injuries and fact that the game was a glorified practice with a lot of guys subbing in contributed to the lopsided score. At this point, I don't think Austin Sumner is even the backup QB. He's the backup to the backup. Jordan Thomas is No. 2, behind Thomas O'Brien, who seems to have leadership skills as well as physical ability. Give O'Brien his chance. He's earned it. Sumner's time will come eventually.
                        PS -- The game underscored, again, an obvious need -- the need for artificial turf on the game field and the longer-range need for a fieldhouse for bad-weather practices.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Collegian coverage of yesterday is here

http://www.sdsucollegian.info/2011/0...ringing-ahead/

http://www.sdsucollegian.info/2011/0...l-spring-game/

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            There is no reason to panic over the QB situation.
                            I have to agree.

Other than poor QB play almost all of last season and poor QB play this spring, there is no reason to panic.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Enough of a sample size on TOB to see a continuing disturbing pattern in terms of his decision making abilities. Trend in the Big Ten for multi dimesional quarterbacks. http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...119889274.html Maybe Jacks should follow suit.

Comment

Working...
                              X