X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ag Hall and Rotunda get new names

http://www.sdsucollegian.info/2011/0...her-buildings/

Re: Ag Hall and Rotunda get new names

Good move by SDSU. I was always kind of underwhelmed by Berg and Bailey halls. They didn't have the kind of permanence and gravitas those men deserve. I'm particularly pleased to see Woody Berg's name on Ag Hall.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Not poohpoohing the name changes or the people so honored, but this reminds me of renaming Dayton's, Mankato State or the HEN house. Old habits die hard. Maybe the Rotunda's corners can be squared; perhaps that would quell the urge to continue calling it the building formerly known as the Rotunda.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Good move by SDSU. I was always kind of underwhelmed by Berg and Bailey halls. They didn't have the kind of permanence and gravitas those men deserve. I'm particularly pleased to see Woody Berg's name on Ag Hall.
        I second your post here. Dean Bailey was the guy behind the scenes on many moves while I was a student during the early 1960's. He seldom got credit when something big happened, but no doubt caught all the flack when things went wrong. Also he was overshadowed by that Iowa farm boy who made good in academics, none other than HM Briggs.

Who can not like Woody? I had the pleasure of sitting by him and his wife before the back chairs replaced the bleachers. What a great bb fan, and was HE always pleased with the officating? I would say not. Woody called a spade a spade. One other recollection is an alumni gathering in Chicago about the time he became president. He stood at the door and introduced himself to everyone who came through the door.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit View Post
          Not poohpoohing the name changes or the people so honored, but this reminds me of renaming Dayton's, Mankato State or the HEN house. Old habits die hard. Maybe the Rotunda's corners can be squared; perhaps that would quell the urge to continue calling it the building formerly known as the Rotunda.
          I know what you are talking about because I have given a number of Alumni tours and the HEN house made me laugh the first time I heard it, but give it 4 years and nobody on campus will remember what the buildings used to be called. They will just be wondering where the heck their first class of the semester is at.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...=10980&page=79

Comment

Somewhat unrelated, but has anybody else noticed the "new" signs on the side of the buildings? I mention this only because I feel they are too small, and would look sharp back lit (Well the HEPR center anyway). Keep em simple on the other buildings if you must, but the HPER is the face of the university for a lot of ppl that visit campus. (great idea though!)

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Somewhat unrelated, but has anybody else noticed the "new" signs on the side of the buildings? I mention this only because I feel they are too small, and would look sharp back lit (Well the HEPR center anyway). Keep em simple on the other buildings if you must, but the HPER is the face of the university for a lot of ppl that visit campus. (great idea though!)
                I personally don't think they are too small. BUT, I've had the same thought about the back lighting. I think that would look really sharp at night.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  I personally don't think they are too small. BUT, I've had the same thought about the back lighting. I think that would look really sharp at night.

It's the "South Dakota State University" on the Dykhouse that needs the back lighting first...imo...

It would look good all around campus though, it comes down to $$

Comment

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post
                    It's the "South Dakota State University" on the Dykhouse that needs the back lighting first...imo...

It would look good all around campus though, it comes down to $$
                    Couldn't agree with you more on this too! Back light it with yellow

Comment

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...=11047&page=76

Comment

Working...
                      X