Who is the Jacks best player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the Jacks best player?

A great question was asked in TV's chat today.

Who is the Jack's current best player?

I'd say Witzman is the most likely to make the NFL, but don't think he is the best player at this point in time.

Is it Kool?

Re: Who is the Jacks best player?

Dale Moss

Comment

I'll throw in Jon Fick, Mike Lien, & Dirk Kool

I was expecting big things from Jake Steffen last year but he didn't look comfortable out there. Batted down alot of passes but it didn't seem like he put much pressure on opposing QBs. I'll throw his name out as someone that could have a big senior year.

A name to watch for the future is Redshirt Freshman RB Zach Zenner. I think he's going to have a bright future.

Comment

Originally posted by BudLight Jackrabbit View Post
        Dale Moss
        First thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of the thread. I figured it would take a bit longer to get there than the second post though.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
          I'll throw in Jon Fick, Mike Lien, & Dirk Kool

I was expecting big things from Jake Steffen last year but he didn't look comfortable out there. Batted down a lot of passes but it didn't seem like he put much pressure on opposing QBs. I'll throw his name out as someone that could have a big senior year.

A name to watch for the future is Redshirt Freshman RB Zach Zenner. I think he's going to have a bright future.
          I somewhat agree with you in throwing in Jon Fick. He is the strongest offensive lineman; however, he does not have the best feet and gave up a couple of weak sacks last year, so he is out. Witzman has the NFL body, but I don't know about his speed. I would say the tackles are the best lineman. Castle is big but lacks quickness. Buchner has the best feet and is the best pass blocker. Parker is the meanest. Olinger works hard and Kage has potential.

The TE's are out of the equation. Maybe Dale Moss is the best athlete, but that doesn't make him the best football player so the WR are out. Unless some of the redshirts step up.

QB? We know the answer to that.

RB Kool? He may be the best.

DB's - Is Wise the best? This could be a long discussion.

Linebackers - Both Mike Lien and Dirk Kool are not as good as Domino. As Jerry Burns said, those big knockers are hard to replace. Domino and Cole Brodie made a lot of big plays last year. Kool didn't even start last year so you can't throw him in the mix. Lien had has name called quite a bit last year.

DL - I don't think Mink or Chase is the best. Dijon Starr has potential. You are spot on with Jake Steffen. I think Danny Batten being gone has really hurt him last year. Maybe though Steffen is commanding the double teams that Batten used to get, but Batten could fight through them. I'd have to still keep Steffen in the mix, I think he could step up and be the best.

You are right to mention the redshirts. There may be some stars in there that we don't know about and will find out about at fall ball. Players make big strides or losses between spring ball and fall ball.

It just goes to show you how much of a team the Jacks are. You can't readily identify the best players. It shows that the coaches have done an excellent job recruiting and have upgraded the talent everywhere with one exception. The QB's all transferred out of the program.

Go Rabbits!!!

By the way, someone needs to check the spell check. The suggested word for Fick is not very polite.

Comment

I gotta go with Mitchell and look at the LB's with Kool and Lien.

Comment

Minor correction: Dirk Kool was a starter last year and turned in a pretty good season. He had some trouble missing tackles early because of a banged up elbow but came on strong at the end.

T. Kool & Lien made All-Conference Honorable mention last season so I guess maybe those two would be the best answer.

This coming year will defiantly be an interesting team. Not very many stand-out stars but still pretty solid at almost every position.

Comment

Minor correction: Dirk Kool was a starter last year and turned in a pretty good season. He had some trouble missing tackles early because of a banged up elbow but came on strong at the end.

T. Kool & Lien made All-Conference Honorable mention last season so I guess maybe those two would be the best answer.

This coming year will defiantly be an interesting team. Not very many stand-out stars but still pretty solid at almost every position.
                Mitchell, once again you are right. You know your football as well as anyone on this forum.

I agree with you. You convinced me.

Kool and Lien making All Conference Honorable mention gives them the edge.

I'll watch them in the spring game.

The offense looked terrible in last years spring game. I am highly anticipating how they will look this year. I think the offense could finally stay close to the defense. If they don't throw picks or picks for TD's.

Comment

Haven't you guys figured it out, yet?

The best player any team coming off a sub-par season is always the back-up quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post

The best player any team coming off a sub-par season is always the back-up quarterback.
                    rep.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post

Love it, I did see that Sumner is listed at 6'5" 225. Pretty good size for a QB!

Comment

I'll second this. I had the luxury of watching practice last week and I was very impressed by Zenner. A hard, smart runner.

Comment

Since we've come to consensus that Lien is the best player returning, I have a question - Is it possible that Tracy can play outside linebacker? Does he have the speed?

Domino covered an awful lot of ground last year. The Jacks kept him on the field instead of going to nickle. Do you see that happening this year?

Another question - Is linebacker the strength of the team or offensive line? I have to vote O-line by a razor thin margin.

My reports say the O-line is beating the D-line this spring. I've heard Chase has played the best of the D-lineman. Any confirmations?

Comment

Working...
                          X