X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More new dorms

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...story_id=10790

Re: More new dorms

In the 1974-75 school year, one of the two dorms facing Medary (it was the southern one) was turned into an upperclass- men's dorm with single occupancy (unless somebody wanted a roommate).

Interesting plans. SDSU's continued growth is great for the State and region.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Comment

Read the comments.....some of those people are just straight up ignorant or just waiting to kick you off of their lawn.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Read the comments.....some of those people are just straight up ignorant or just waiting to kick you off of their lawn.
            I usually read the Argus Leader comments for a good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I usually read the Argus Leader comments for a good laugh.
              Agree, but some of them give me a sore neck, smh.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It's amazing how much venom some people can spew on topics that will have absolutely no impact on them and will not cost them one red cent.

Comment

Let's put a positive spin on the comments: Is there a way to make a better case for higher education?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Let's put a positive spin on the comments: Is there a way to make a better case for higher education?
                    You would think more people would look at it as a healthy sign that more people are getting an education and are paying for it, which in turn means more professors or higher pay for employees.....guess not.
                    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                      You would think more people would look at it as a healthy sign that more people are getting an education and are paying for it, which in turn means more professors or higher pay for employees.....guess not.
                      Logic? Are you kidding? South Dakota logic = I believe in education... so therefore I don't want to pay for education.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Yes:

Research funding comes from outside South Dakota. More higher education = more research money. More research money = more money in the local economy.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          Yes:

Research funding comes from outside South Dakota. More higher education = more research money. More research money = more money in the local economy.
                          SoDak logic version: I like money from outside South Dakota, so therefore I don't want to pay for education.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            SoDak logic version: I like money from outside South Dakota, so therefore I don't want to pay for education.
                            Other SoDak logic:

"Can we get the government to pay for it?"

"They can't get rid of subsidies! They have no business telling me what to plant!!"

"They had asbestos in the schools when I was a kid, and it only made me tougher!"

"Bond issue? No way those kids are going to school in a better building than I went to school in."

"I'm all for spending cuts, as long as it doesn't affect me."

"Deferred maintenance is the best maintenance."

"We're broke."

"This is the best place to live. Why on earth did you move out here from ____?"

Comment

No there is not. I am most likely being redundant in telling my story. I had the advantage of living with my parents while a student at SDSU and knew very few who were stuck with life in a dorm. The few times I visited someone in Brown Hall, I got the impression how cramped the residents were and how noisey it often was and did not seem to be a good place to study.

About 10 years ago I drove to Decorah Iowa to attend a weekend geneology seminar at Luther College and housing was in the dorms, in a tower about 10 stories high. I could not wait to get out of that place. It was a cramped little room on about the seventh floor. When I looked out on the campus I thought of the young people who occupied the room I was in and wondered if any had thought about jumping out the window. I could see where that might happen given a set of circumstances where a person was having problems academically and not fitting socially, and also having to put up with some noisey neighbors next door.

The new concept of independant living is ideal. Students learn to cook their own meals they have room to spread out and enjoy themselves once in awhile without getting a fatter butt sitting on some bar stool down town. This ideal for learning.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X