USD, UND Double Dual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD, UND Double Dual

This Saturday, April 9th, the Jackrabbit Track and Field teams take on the University of South Dakota and the University of North Dakota in Yankton, SD. The meet will be held at Yankton High School. Field events start at 11 am and the meet ends at 4pm. This is a scored meet and another great chance to support your Jackrabbits!

Re: USD, UND Double Dual

Yankton area folks come watch!

Comment

Read about the weekend for the men and women's teams at gojacks.com. We had some nice performances at Yankton and in Texas. I have been told USD made sure the meet was scored in such a way that it could claim victory. I have not heard of a meet being scored so that the men and women were scored as one team rather than score the men and women separately. By scoring it as one competition USD claims the win. If the meet had been scored as track meets always are, SDSU wins the men's competition and Usd wins the women's competition.

If that report is accurate, looks like the crap is starting again. Well, two can play that game.

Congrats the the Jackrabbits for the good performances!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Read about the weekend for the men and women's teams at gojacks.com. We had some nice performances at Yankton and in Texas. I have been told USD made sure the meet was scored in such a way that it could claim victory. I have not heard of a meet being scored so that the men and women were scored as one team rather than score the men and women separately. By scoring it as one competition USD claims the win. If the meet had been scored as track meets always are, SDSU wins the men's competition and Usd wins the women's competition.

If that report is accurate, looks like the crap is starting again. Well, two can play that game.

Congrats the the Jackrabbits for the good performances!
        There are a lot of reasons USD should have remained DII. I can argue that point until my face is blue.

On the radio they reported it traditionally, SDSU men win, USD women win. In the Yankton paper it was like this:

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2011...a413394693.txt

USD Takes Double-Dual

Coyotes Edge SDSU, Roll Past UND In Track Showdown At Williams Field
        BY JEREMY HOECK
        jeremy.hoeck@yankton.net
        Published: Monday, April 11, 2011 1:09 AM CDT

While other sports at the University of South Dakota await the renewal of a once-heated rivalry, the competition on the track is already going strong.

Saturday’s double dual meet was proof of that.

In what was a close battle all day, the USD men’s and women’s track teams combined for a tight 201-195 dual victory over rival South Dakota State at the meet held at Williams Field in Yankton.

Both USD and SDSU also defeated North Dakota in the double dual format, which counted as two Division I meets for each school.

But the real showdown was between the Coyotes and Jackrabbits.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

They also failed to mention that no SDSU distance runner ran two races, the best long jumper in the field by 2+ feet didn't compete, Luke Leischner didn't run the 400 or 4x4, and SDSU's best overall athlete was at the Texas relays or that SDSU women didn't run anyone in the steeplechase (in USD's set up there are free points for each team if their competitor finishes the race).

Success in Track and Field in this day and age isn't based on the team results of any meet except the Conference meet. How many USD athletes would qualify for the NCAA regionals if they were eligible this year? 1- Emma Erickson. How many SDSU athletes will? Jared Vlastuin in the LJ, Ben Jasinski in the HJ and TJ, Sean Burns in the HT, Luke Leischner in the 400, Michelle Schuch in the HT, Jenny Mack in the HT, Brooke Garner in the HT, and Mike Krsnak in the 5k/10k. Those I can guarantee, there are many more athletes that are one jump/throw/race away from making it.

SDSU track is much better than USD track right now. Their entrance to the Summit next year will be proof. They can make themselves feel good with cheap Double Duals that one team doesn't care much about for now but there won't be any more excuses in 2012.

Comment

There is an inconsistency in the details in the article regarding the final score.

First the article states USD defeated SDSU 201-195.

Then later in the article the women won 105 to 90 and the men were closer 105 to 96. The adder in my brain would give USD 210 and SDSU 186. Did the judges fudge with the point totals?

Comment

This "Track Meet" sounds more like something that could be compared to a kids summer track meet event that was thrown together at the last minute, rather than an NCAA Division 1 event.

But then again, given the host school...................

Suggestion to Coach DeHaven...in the future, other than events you're required to compete against USD in...take a pass.

Go Jacks!!
              Last edited by propar80; 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM.
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                There is an inconsistency in the details in the article regarding the final score.

First the article states USD defeated SDSU 201-195.

Then later in the article the women won 105 to 90 and the men were closer 105 to 96. The adder in my brain would give USD 210 and SDSU 186. Did the judges fudge with the point totals?
                SDSU men beat USD. USD women beat SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
                  SDSU men beat USD. USD women beat SDSU.
                  thanks I missed something in the wording. I had thought USD had swept both men and women and I see where I misintrepated the one sentence.

Comment

It really wasn't run that badly. The scoring, although trying to describe the system may be difficult, in reality it wasn't that bad. I was there among the pack of muts fans. (I did have to draw some things out on a napkin for them to understand the scoring system) We looked at this as a practice meet in my opinion as we did not place or start the best we have in every event. So they can crow all they want, but we would have stomped them and the UND group in most events if we were out for blood.

Comment

Obligatory "be nice in non-smack threads" public service announcement . . .

(want to put some kind of smiley here but can't decide which one would work best . . . eye-roll is closest, but seems harsh . . .)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by BS90Jack View Post
                        It really wasn't run that badly. The scoring, although trying to describe the system may be difficult, in reality it wasn't that bad. I was there among the pack of muts fans. (I did have to draw some things out on a napkin for them to understand the scoring system) We looked at this as a practice meet in my opinion as we did not place or start the best we have in every event. So they can crow all they want, but we would have stomped them and the UND group in most events if we were out for blood.
                        I'd like an example. Other than a sprinter or two you ran everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
                          I'd like an example. Other than a sprinter or two you ran everybody.
                          He is a Jacks fan.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Sorry BS90

Comment

My hope is that the P & D article is pinned to more than one bulletin board in our Athletic Dept. offices!

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X