Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim McLain Collegian Article

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/li...1483?pagereq=1

Great read. Great work by Drue writing this one.

I have known Jim since I was 8 and swam against him until I was 14. Great person and great swimmer; I used to love swimming against him.
    Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 03-31-2011, 01:17 AM.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Re: Jim McLain Collegian Article

Good article...learned something about a great kid and Jackrabbit swimmer.

One correction: the article referred to Brad Erickson as the only coach in the program's history. Not true. Brad swam for SDSU under his predecessor Brent Getchel. Getchel may have been the first coach but I recall Pete Torino was at SDSU when the natatorium opened--was Pete the coach for a season?

Comment

For some reason I linked the second page of the article in my post. It's now fixed.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Good article...learned something about a great kid and Jackrabbit swimmer.

One correction: the article referred to Brad Erickson as the only coach in the program's history. Not true. Brad swam for SDSU under his predecessor Brent Getchel. Getchel may have been the first coach but I recall Pete Torino was at SDSU when the natatorium opened--was Pete the coach for a season?
        I dont know the answer, but I recognize the need for a resident historian on SDSU sports. Warren Williamsen did a great job as long as he was able, but is no longer living. I also noticed the hall of champions are gone at Frost and have been replaced by the High School coaches Hall of Fame. I suspect space is a premuim at Frost, but not really happy with the disappearence of NCC champs etc. I wonder if these pictures were moved to the Ginn Trophy room.

Pete Torino, is a familar name, and one associated with gymnastics and half time show with the gym people performing, at least that's what happen in 1964-65, the last year I was a student. I suspect he was at the time an innovator, so am not surprise he had a hand in starting swimming. Some of his innovations got him in trouble so I have heard, but that is another story.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Pete Torino, is a familar name, and one associated with gymnastics and half time show with the gym people performing, at least that's what happen in 1964-65, the last year I was a student. I suspect he was at the time an innovator, so am not surprise he had a hand in starting swimming. Some of his innovations got him in trouble so I have heard, but that is another story.
          Yes, Torino was gymnastics coach but something tells me Brent Getchel was not the first swim coach...foggy memory. I was the student assistant to the Sports Info Director in those days, fall of 72 through spring 76 and I worked with the coaches back then.

Comment

Yes, Torino was gymnastics coach but something tells me Brent Getchel was not the first swim coach...foggy memory. I was the student assistant to the Sports Info Director in those days, fall of 72 through spring 76 and I worked with the coaches back then.
            Brad's first season as coach was 1976. SDSU had swim practice at BHS pool prior to HPER center opening, so could have had swimming as early as 1967? Don't remember who the coach(es) was/were before Brad.

Comment

Coach before Brad (was Brad's coach) was Brent Getchel. Not sure who preceded him but I think someone did precede Getchel.

Comment

Coach before Brad (was Brad's coach) was Brent Getchel. Not sure who preceded him but I think someone did precede Getchel.
                Not disputing Brent being Brad Erickson's coach, but I did a google on Brent to find out where he might be today. He apparently is involved in real estate in Colorado. The hits do not really tell you a whole bunch about him, but apparently he has left coaching.

Comment

Working...
                X