PDA

View Full Version : Spring Ball Update

shot_5533
03-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Any updates from Brookings in regards to the spring practices?

Is the spring game slated for April 16?

Who are the starting TE's on offense? Wideouts? RB? Who are the starting DT's?

How does TOB look?

Any news would be appreciated as we don't have day to day coverage out of town. Is there any source for day to day spring ball coverage besides this forum?

Thank you.

da_coach
03-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Any updates from Brookings in regards to the spring practices?

Is the spring game slated for April 16?

Who are the starting TE's on offense? Wideouts? RB? Who are the starting DT's?

How does TOB look?

Any news would be appreciated as we don't have day to day coverage out of town. Is there any source for day to day spring ball coverage besides this forum?

Thank you.

I'd say this forum is your best bet.

Students....one of you get your tails out to practice, and bring report back here, ASAP!
:)

MinnJack
03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I can tell you that the squad was outside practicing Monday afternoon in just helmets and practice jerseys, thus no pads.

Nidaros
03-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I know I reporting this on the wrong message board, but NDSU is converting their fourth string RB Voitlender to Kicker.

shot_5533
03-30-2011, 09:11 AM
I know I reporting this on the wrong message board, but NDSU is converting their fourth string RB Voitlender to Kicker.

Matt was a very good kicker for Centenial High School back in the day along with being a good High School running back.

shot_5533
03-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I heard that Dale Moss caught a touchdown pass in practice. Dale Moss is doing very well. He is on track to being a contributor. I'm not sure why there are such doubters out there. Watch and see.

shot_5533
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Also heard that TOB is looking sharp.

GopherHole
03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
How does the pistol look? I know the timing is supposed to be something to work out with the WRs.

slosho
03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
unfortunately this year we will have far less coverage due to the fact hartley has a full time job... His spring camp and preseason coverage were excellent last year...

shot_5533
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
How does the pistol look? I know the timing is supposed to be something to work out with the WRs.

Too early to tell on the pistol. This would be a good question for TV. You are right about the timing with the wide receivers but that is true this year for all of the routes, not just the pistol. I don't think the pistol changes much for the OL. The snap is easier for Castle I'd guess. A lot of casual observers won't even know that the Jacks are in the pistol. You are asking a lot of the students to report on this. Challenge is out there students...

Once Moss gets his timing done; he could be great. I think the Jacks offense is easiest to learn for WR. QB obviously is the toughest, with OL next due to zone blocking. RB has the pass blocking scheme and TE has the zone blocking too.

Question - who is out there as second string center?

SpeedRabbit
03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Too early to tell on the pistol. This would be a good question for TV. You are right about the timing with the wide receivers but that is true this year for all of the routes, not just the pistol. I don't think the pistol changes much for the OL. The snap is easier for Castle I'd guess. A lot of casual observers won't even know that the Jacks are in the pistol. You are asking a lot of the students to report on this. Challenge is out there students...

Once Moss gets his timing done; he could be great. I think the Jacks offense is easiest to learn for WR. QB obviously is the toughest, with OL next due to zone blocking. RB has the pass blocking scheme and TE has the zone blocking too.

Question - who is out there as second string center? How would u know that the Jacks offense would be easier to learn for the WR's? A simple 12 yard curl route/comeback route can have 4 or 5 different adjustments to it depending on what the coverage is- whether they are playing Cover 1, Cover2, Cover 3 or Cover 4 just to name a few different secondary schemes. Remember that the WR has to be on the same page of the QB at all times. Its not as easy as it sounds.

shot_5533
03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
How would u know that the Jacks offense would be easier to learn for the WR's? A simple 12 yard curl route/comeback route can have 4 or 5 different adjustments to it depending on what the coverage is- whether they are playing Cover 1, Cover2, Cover 3 or Cover 4 just to name a few different secondary schemes. Remember that the WR has to be on the same page of the QB at all times. Its not as easy as it sounds.

Yes, but the WR does not have all the reads the O lineman and QB have. That is 6 out of the 11 positions. 7 or 8 if you count the tight ends. Why do you think the O lineman have to be smart? There is a lot to learn.

WR is easier to learn. That is why Dale Moss has a chance to be great. Not saying it is easy as some defensive positions, but it is all relative. Look how fast the WR's and Favre were on the same page two years ago. It took three weeks. Favre skipped camp if you remember.

It would be almost impossible to come in one year and learn O line enough to contribute. Very few true freshman O line play at any level of DI college football. Probably more QB's play as true freshman. It is not just the physical for the linemen, it is the mental.

SpeedRabbit
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Yes, but the WR does not have all the reads the O lineman and QB have. That is 6 out of the 11 positions. 7 or 8 if you count the tight ends. Why do you think the O lineman have to be smart? There is a lot to learn.

WR is easier to learn. That is why Dale Moss has a chance to be great. Not saying it is easy as some defensive positions, but it is all relative. Look how fast the WR's and Favre were on the same page two years ago. It took three weeks. Favre skipped camp if you remember.

It would be almost impossible to come in one year and learn O line enough to contribute. Very few true freshman O line play at any level of DI college football. Probably more QB's play as true freshman. It is not just the physical for the linemen, it is the mental. Can't compare FAVRE and professional WR's to our situation here.

shot_5533
03-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Can't compare FAVRE and professional WR's to our situation here.
Dale Moss caught a TD his second day of practice.

I'm excited about the things I'm hearing about Dale Moss. Adding an athlete like him to the mix sure is good...

SpeedRabbit
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm excited about the things I'm hearing about Dale Moss. Adding an athlete like him to the mix sure is good... Thats great today will be the 2nd day of practice though

Theee Catrabbit
03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
How would u know that the Jacks offense would be easier to learn for the WR's? A simple 12 yard curl route/comeback route can have 4 or 5 different adjustments to it depending on what the coverage is- whether they are playing Cover 1, Cover2, Cover 3 or Cover 4 just to name a few different secondary schemes. Remember that the WR has to be on the same page of the QB at all times. Its not as easy as it sounds.

That's all great but our WR's stand at the LOS and wait for the ball to be thrown to them. Then we punt.:rolleyes:

da_coach
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
That's all great but our WR's stand at the LOS and wait for the ball to be thrown to them. Then we punt.:rolleyes:

Well, with the pistol instead of the gun, it will get there faster! (less time off the clock).
:)

SpeedRabbit
03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
not a bad point!!!

shot_5533
03-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Thats great today will be the 2nd day of practice though
Even better, he caught it his first day!!!!

I thought they started Monday. I'll have to scold my student source...

Sounds like they'll have to practice a Saturday or two to get the 15 in by 4-16.

Thanks for the correction.

Go Jacks!!!

slosho
03-30-2011, 10:25 PM
If I'm not correct they cancelled the first day of practice making the second day of practice the first...and your info kind of correct...

shot_5533
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
If I'm not correct they cancelled the first day of practice making the second day of practice the first...and your info kind of correct...
The first day of practice was scheduled to be last Friday, which was cancelled. It just doesn't matter. I kinda like how you explained it.

The important thing is Moss caught a TD!!!!!

Make sure everyone questions TV today in the chat. I'm gonna have to miss at as I'm on the road.

KI DRIVER
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm excited about the things I'm hearing about Dale Moss. Adding an athlete like him to the mix sure is good...

that doesn't mean much (TD). the players are getting their legs back and there isn't much defense being played in these practices. the main concern is no injuries and getting some offensive timing down.

RowdyRabbit
03-31-2011, 10:27 PM
A lot of talk about WR's and justifiable so, it'll be interesting to see who the go to guys ends up being (Aaron Rollin).

Like TV though, I'm most excited though to see what happens with the secondary. Who's going to fill Brodies shoes?

I assume Anthony Wise will be a starter and solid. I think Rodkem Matthews will be a playmaker this year. I also think Daryl Jackson will be solid.

I'm a huge Bo Helm fan though. He'd been an absolute stud on special teams, especially last year. He hasn't seen a ton of time on D, but I think we'll be hearing his name on the defensive end quite a bit this year.

I see Koehlmoos is still listed on the roster...he was very highly touted when he was recruited, but I thought he ran into some academic issues and wasn't going to play or even transferred? Am I on crack? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else?

mitchell
03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
A lot of talk about WR's and justifiable so, it'll be interesting to see who the go to guys ends up being (Aaron Rollin).

Like TV though, I'm most excited though to see what happens with the secondary. Who's going to fill Brodies shoes?

I assume Anthony Wise will be a starter and solid. I think Rodkem Matthews will be a playmaker this year. I also think Daryl Jackson will be solid.

I'm a huge Bo Helm fan though. He'd been an absolute stud on special teams, especially last year. He hasn't seen a ton of time on D, but I think we'll be hearing his name on the defensive end quite a bit this year.

I see Koehlmoos is still listed on the roster...he was very highly touted when he was recruited, but I thought he ran into some academic issues and wasn't going to play or even transferred? Am I on crack? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else?

Koehlmoos tranferred to a junior college, they must have not updated the roster completely yet.

The secondary is the biggest enigma for next season. It was suggested previously by someone that maybe Wise should move over to SS. I can see that happening and than having Helm/Matthews man the FS spot.

At CB there is:
Daryl Jackson - finished the year pretty solid last season starting in the last half
David Godley - JUCO who won't be here until fall. Like Jackson, will probably play more in the latter half of the season.
Winston Wright - Athletic and aggressive but seemed unnatural last year and was caught out of position.
2 Sleepers IMO - True freshman JeRyan Butler and Redshirt freshman Avery Boykin (Boykin signed originally to Army)

I think Ramel Crenshaw might have been moved to Safety and could see some spot duty there next season along with Junior Skylar Luxa.

As far as WR goes, here's my guesstimate at some stats for next season.

Hubert 55 rec, 575 yds, 3 TD
Rollin 50 rec, 575 yds, 4 TD
Moss 35 rec, 450 yds, 5 TD
Kool 30 rec, 225 yds, 2 TD
Tiefenthaler 25 rec, 400 yds, 3 TD

Sad that I can't wait for football and the snow isn't off the ground yet.

RowdyRabbit
03-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing the Koehlmoos thing up...I thought it was him that transfered out.

I hadn't heard of the Godfrey kid, and I didn't mention Jeryan Butler because I assume he'll redshirt.

I agree with the Winston Wright sentiment. I think he'll come around this year. There is Dom Wright as well.

I, as well...am hankering for some football already.

jackrabbit1979
03-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing the Koehlmoos thing up...I thought it was him that transfered out.

I hadn't heard of the Godfrey kid, and I didn't mention Jeryan Butler because I assume he'll redshirt.

I agree with the Winston Wright sentiment. I think he'll come around this year. There is Dom Wright as well.

I, as well...am hankering for some football already.

I noticed the other day that Dom Wright was listed as a DB on the roster...does anybody know for sure if he is playing defense or at WR?

SpeedRabbit
04-01-2011, 08:00 AM

I see Koehlmoos is still listed on the roster...he was very highly touted when he was recruited, but I thought he ran into some academic issues and wasn't going to play or even transferred? Am I on crack? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else? kooelmoos is gone

SpeedRabbit
04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I noticed the other day that Dom Wright was listed as a DB on the roster...does anybody know for sure if he is playing defense or at WR?He has been a WR since he came here and still is

SpeedRabbit
04-01-2011, 08:40 AM

I see Koehlmoos is still listed on the roster...he was very highly touted when he was recruited, but I thought he ran into some academic issues and wasn't going to play or even transferred? Am I on crack? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else? I wonder if Bo Helm will be returning kickoffs this next fall?

da_coach
04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Koehlmoos tranferred to a junior college, they must have not updated the roster completely yet.

The secondary is the biggest enigma for next season. It was suggested previously by someone that maybe Wise should move over to SS. I can see that happening and than having Helm/Matthews man the FS spot.

At CB there is:
Daryl Jackson - finished the year pretty solid last season starting in the last half
David Godley - JUCO who won't be here until fall. Like Jackson, will probably play more in the latter half of the season.
Winston Wright - Athletic and aggressive but seemed unnatural last year and was caught out of position.
2 Sleepers IMO - True freshman JeRyan Butler and Redshirt freshman Avery Boykin (Boykin signed originally to Army)

I think Ramel Crenshaw might have been moved to Safety and could see some spot duty there next season along with Junior Skylar Luxa.

As far as WR goes, here's my guesstimate at some stats for next season.

Hubert 55 rec, 575 yds, 3 TD
Rollin 50 rec, 575 yds, 4 TD
Moss 35 rec, 450 yds, 5 TD
Kool 30 rec, 225 yds, 2 TD
Tiefenthaler 25 rec, 400 yds, 3 TD

Sad that I can't wait for football and the snow isn't off the ground yet.

Solid post.

I think Jackson pretty much has one of the corners nailed down. When he was elevated to the starting line-up, the D seemed improved, at least to me.
I think Wright/Helm battle it out for the other starter with the 3rd guy playing "nickel". Like you said Godly could work his way in there, not sure exactly what we have there.

Butler? It would be nice if he could redshirt, just to give him another year...but Brodie started for four years. If he earns a spot, he earns the spot.

My guess is Wise/Matthews as the starting Safeties.

WR- I'm actually pretty excited for this group.
Rollin #1
Hubert #2
Tiefenthaler #3
Moss ???

To be honest, I'm a bit more worried about TE than Wideout, with Byer and Cochardt gone...that's alot of snaps. And we use the TE alot.

mitchell
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
TV reported today in his blog that Blocking TE Kyle Sheehan was granted an extra year by the NCAA. That is very good news for the Jacks since they were thin at that spot with just Sophomore Benedetto.

I have no doubt that SDSU will have one of the best blocking O-Line's in the conference, it's the other areas I'm not so certain of.

shot_5533
04-01-2011, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=mitchell;177638]Winston Wright - Athletic and aggressive but seemed unnatural last year and was caught out of position.

Winston had a pretty good game against Nebraska. I think he'll make the next step. You did a very nice job breaking done the DB's. Kudos.

I don't agree with TV. Nothing unusual there. I think Defensive tackle is more of a question than DB's. We have the pass rushers but where is the beef? Who is the big, unmovable nose tackle to stop the runners in this league? The problem with our D last year is we were a little lite and teams ran on us.

Any update as to DT's?

I know Dijon Starr can pass block, but he is an undertackle, not a run stopper. Who is the Jack's run stopper on the D line?

shot_5533
04-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I meant Dijon can pass rush, not pass block. Dope!!!!

Sorry.

mitchell
04-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I really like what we bring back at DT. Alot of young talent that got their feet we last season and a JUCO that looks like an instant contributor.

My breakdown looks something like this:

Andy Mink- Had a very solid (and underrated) season last year. Filled in nicely once Basham went down. He was at 270 so it would be nice for him to add 5-10 lbs more but he has All-Conference potential IMO.

Chase Douglas - Also saw quality time last year and like most freshman he was up and down. Needs to gain some more size and consistency this year. Can be explosive.

Bryan Burke - JUCO out of Arizona. Played LB in high school, DE at JUCO, and will be DT for the Jacks. He's 6'4" 270 and should be a nice fit. Could take over Douglas's starting spot or be the 3rd guy to rotate in.

Dijonn Starr - Promising young player who was close to having his redshirt pulled last year. Haven't seen him play except for his high school film and he was very quick in those highlights. Surprised he didn't throw any shot put this past indoor track season as he is a very good thrower.

Josiah Fitzsimmons - Junior hasn't seen the field much yet. Might be his time to breakout. Has been a bit underweight for DT but if gains 15 lbs from last year he could be effective.

Simote Moala - I haven't heard much or seen much of Moala. At 315, he has the potential to be that run-stopping clog in the middle.

I think the starters will be Mink & Burke with Douglas and potentially Starr rotating in.

BudLight Jackrabbit
04-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Per Dominique Clare Twitter:

SB defense notes: Kilgore is EVERYWHERE, alot of competition at corner, helm and luxa stepping up at safety, LB will be real deep & talented

SB offense notes: T.O. lookin strong, Dale Moss is catching on quick, J. Schneider is legit, T Kool is running hard, OLine is big and deep!

Nidaros
04-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Per Dominique Clare Twitter:

SB defense notes: Kilgore is EVERYWHERE, alot of competition at corner, helm and luxa stepping up at safety, LB will be real deep & talented

SB offense notes: T.O. lookin strong, Dale Moss is catching on quick, J. Schneider is legit, T Kool is running hard, OLine is big and deep!

This is what we want to read here. Thanks for the report.

ghomestead1
04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Does anybody know, have they actually done a live scrimmage yet? A lot of players look good in drills and all.

jackrab
04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Although i have not seen i have heard that WR Dan Schmidt is looking very sharp and will contribute to what looks to be a very good receiving core.

SpeedRabbit
04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Although i have not seen i have heard that WR Dan Schmidt is looking very sharp and will contribute to what looks to be a very good receiving core. any idea on where he sits on the depth chart?

shot_5533
04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
any idea on where he sits on the depth chart?
There won't be an official depth chart until halfway thru fall practice.

SpeedRabbit
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
There won't be an official depth chart until halfway thru fall practice. My thinking was is that there is an initial depth chart at the beginning of spring ball- one in the middle and one at the end. Don't know for sure

shot_5533
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
My thinking was is that there is an initial depth chart at the beginning of spring ball- one in the middle and one at the end. Don't know for sure
You are correct sir!

The ones know who they are at this point in time.

I don't think they publish one for public viewing, but they probably have it hanging up somewhere in the locker room. I think the chart only changes in spring ball due to injuries. Even the starters at the spring game don't mean a whole lot. The goal of spring is to stay injury free; or prove to the coaches that you can play with dings.

Fall camp finally sets the lineup.

The official printed one comes out in fall practice.

shot_5533
04-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Spring game will be here Saturday!!!!

What is the weather forcast for Saturday?

What is the guess for attendance?

Man, the board sure has been quiet with the spring game coming up. What is going on?

I sure miss Hartley's updates... I think we are slacking/lacking....