X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget cuts hurt research

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...yssey=nav|head

Re: Budget cuts hurt research

talked about this in class today. Not a lot of people understand the agency. I had to explain what they do and why its important for many farmers.

Comment

It is going to hurt more than just research.

Comment

Yep. With Pierre poor mouthing while wheat, beans and corn are near record highs.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

This cut is a love tap compared to what's to come . . . just take a good, long look at the the 2012 federal budget with the question in mind: "is this sustainable?"
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That is, at best, a train wreck.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              This cut is a love tap compared to what's to come . . . just take a good, long look at the the 2012 federal budget with the question in mind: "is this sustainable?"
              Yes it is if the rich and corporation kick in their share of revenue. I know I am getting political but it has to be said. Watching 60 minutes gave a lot of clues on how to cure the budget. Lower taxes for the rich and corporations does not create jobs. It just has not happened. We tried that in 2005, and where are those jobs that the wave of cuts were suppose to create? You asked the question and I gave you my answer, with another question. Add to that the mystery of out sourcing and you have the mess we are in now.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 03-29-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

http://money.gather.com/viewArticle....81474977461051

Comment

Its easy to play the blame game, but what do we do going forward? Cutting the budget is not the answer. That is clear to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Its easy to play the blame game, but what do we do going forward? Cutting the budget is not the answer. That is clear to me.

IMO, you can cut the budget...there are places to be cut, even the most stuanch education person would admit that behind closed doors.
                    But what was missed here IMO is "sharing in the pain". IMO, there should have been cuts(around 4-5%), but there also needed to be more revenue(example=higher vechile registration),that would go to education, that was vetoed by our Govenor to cover the rest. This way everyone shares in the pain. I lost a lot of respect for our Governor with that VETO.
                    This "everyone shares in the pain" is also going to have to take place on the federal level too. And I mean EVERYONE. The rich all the way down to the welfare poor.

Good example: My wife last year had to take a 5% paycut and everyone else did at the hospital she works at. You know why people did it without complaining to much? Because they realized this was a better option then a bunch of people losing their jobs, including "maybe" her.
                    Again...everyone shared in the pain and IMO, this should've happen with education budget cuts in SD. Instead education people feel the pain, but the taxpayers do not. Not completely fair IMO.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Yes it is if the rich and corporation kick in their share of revenue. I know I am getting political but it has to be said. Watching 60 minutes gave a lot of clues on how to cure the budget. Lower taxes for the rich and corporations does not create jobs. It just has not happened. We tried that in 2005, and where are those jobs that the wave of cuts were suppose to create? You asked the question and I gave you my answer, with another question. Add to that the mystery of out sourcing and you have the mess we are in now.
                      I'm curious: What do you consider to be "their share of revenue?"
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        . . .everyone shared in the pain and IMO, this should've happen with education budget cuts in SD. Instead education people feel the pain, but the taxpayers do not. Not completely fair IMO.

Go Jacks!!
                        So . . . cuts to government programs do not cause pain to taxpayers?
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think the corporate tax system is a complete joke. The tax system is so complicated and there are so many loopholes that the so called tax rate doesn't even mean anything anymore. When GE can make billions of dollars and not pay any federal corporate income tax because they shelter all of their income in offshore holding companies and accounts and claim losses in the US there is something terribly wrong with the system.

I read that their tax filing was 3500 pages long and they ended up paying zero federal taxes. Guess who gets to pay the federal employees for the hundreds of hours of work needed to review the return?

We need tax reform and a simplified system all the way around. The only people benefitting from the current system are accountants, lawyers, and people who can afford to pay them to dodge taxes by exploiting loopholes in the system.

We don't need to increase taxes on anyone on a federal level, we just need to actually collect the taxes that are already on the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I think the corporate tax system is a complete joke. The tax system is so complicated and there are so many loopholes that the so called tax rate doesn't even mean anything anymore. When GE can make billions of dollars and not pay any federal corporate income tax because they shelter all of their income in offshore holding companies and accounts and claim losses in the US there is something terribly wrong with the system.

I read that their tax filing was 3500 pages long and they ended up paying zero federal taxes. Guess who gets to pay the federal employees for the hundreds of hours of work needed to review the return?

We need tax reform and a simplified system all the way around. The only people benefitting from the current system are accountants, lawyers, and people who can afford to pay them to dodge taxes by exploiting loopholes in the system.

We don't need to increase taxes on anyone on a federal level, we just need to actually collect the taxes that are already on the books.
                            Much, much, much agree! (Leaving aside the philosophical argument of the corporate income tax as a double-tax on the shareholders' dividend income . . .)
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

At least 35 per cent yes the corporate tax structure is a joke. Corps can off shore all their profits and pay as little as 5% tax. Since the highest bracket for Individual taxation is 35 per cent, that should be the minimum for a corporation that has not been termed a person by the US Supreme Court. This personalization allow corporations to buy politicians, and that is about to happen in 2012. Thank David Koch.

Comment

Working...
                              X