Same honest opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same honest opinion

Since everyone did a good job evaluating where USD fits in the Summit, and knowing that we are still a year away from the Valley, give me your same honest assessments of where we would stand playing in the Valley?

Anyone heads and tails above the rest?

Re: Same honest opinion

Two years out is tough to tell. Last year the MVC was full of a bunch of mediocre teams, with UNI and NDSU slipping through to the playoffs. I would expect both UNI and NDSU to be favorites this fall. NDSU brings back alot of playmakers from last year and UNI is always in the top half.

I'm going to suggest that USD won't make the playoffs ever, but that's not really an evaluation, just more a "screw the u" statement.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      Two years out is tough to tell. Last year the MVC was full of a bunch of mediocre teams, with UNI and NDSU slipping through to the playoffs. I would expect both UNI and NDSU to be favorites this fall. NDSU brings back alot of playmakers from last year and UNI is always in the top half.

I'm going to suggest that USD won't make the playoffs ever, but that's not really an evaluation, just more a "screw the u" statement.
      I definitely think NDSU will be a favorite, but for us, 2 years out is awhile.
      Great moments are born from great opportunities.
      ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I was at the USD win over Minnesota but didn't watch USD play after that. Having watched good play calling, very good execution etc. at Minnesota, I wondered how USD didn't finish out better.

So, the question may be: who will show up for the Yotes?

As SDSU knows, the FCS level takes more money, more coaches, better coaches, better players etc. USD will likely have the same struggles transitioning in as any program. So, best guess, USD starts at the bottom and figures out how to work its way up.

Indiana State, Illinois State, So. Illinois, Missouri State, NDSU and SDSU all were 4-4 in the conference last year. That's six of the nine teams. It's a tough league.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I was at the USD win over Minnesota but didn't watch USD play after that. Having watched good play calling, very good execution etc. at Minnesota, I wondered how USD didn't finish out better.

So, the question may be: who will show up for the Yotes?

As SDSU knows, the FCS level takes more money, more coaches, better coaches, better players etc. USD will likely have the same struggles transitioning in as any program. So, best guess, USD starts at the bottom and figures out how to work its way up.

Indiana State, Illinois State, So. Illinois, Missouri State, NDSU and SDSU all were 4-4 in the conference last year. That's six of the nine teams. It's a tough league.
          Yeah I agree. USD will definitely be at the bottom, and then figure out how to get closer to the top
          Great moments are born from great opportunities.
          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

You will win a game or 2 that you should lose, lose a game or 2 that you should win. The key to football is developing a program, developing players to step in, avoiding injuries, and recruit well not only in the region but across the country.

Comment

Many USD fans tend to turn their heads away from alot of the issues that the football program currently have. USD got by in the last few years of the NCC, minus UNC, SDSU and NDSU by having much better talent than the teams they were playing against. USD simply out talented teams and didn't really have to strategize and show a week in and week out toughness that it will take to suceed in the MVFC.

With what I see now and with financial backing being suspect (considering they would not pony the cash to get a good DC this off season) I do not see the USD football program making a serious impact in the Missouri Valley Football Conference as the program stands now. Since USD will not be able to out talent anyone in this Conference they will have to do things the hard way and that is by outcoaching, out executing, out muscling and simply being mentally strong the whole way through it. That I don't see happening at least not in comparison to the competition they will be facing. USD will have their fans thinking they are about to bring the program up a step but they always fall back into the old habits of not showing up for games especially on the road. I see many 3-5 and 2-6 MVFC seasons coming up. If USD brings in a new head coach, all bets are off and anything is possible. The dome is a very good home field advantage, especially in big games.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Even during those D2 days they would flop on the road. I believe it was the 07 team, they had the most talented offense I've ever seen. ****ing explosive. That team would have done so much damage but they blew two games against MSUM and UMD (I believe). If that continues, they will struggle. Obviously.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The first couple of years in the MVFC have the potential to be really, really uncomfortable for USD.

SDSU had a bit of good fortune right off the bat, IMHO . . . we went into the league and immediately by a score of 40-7 smacked around Youngstown State, one of the traditional powers in the league--that sent a message both to the league and to the Jacks team themselves that SDSU was not a team to be taken lightly. Granted, we got them at home, and we got them in a down year, but still, I think it had an effect going forward both for SDSU and for the rest of the league that said "the Jackrabbits can compete in the MVFC." And nothing we did the remainder of 2008 gave the league any indication that SDSU didn't belong in the conference.

To earn the respect of the league, USD will need to do something similar--beat somebody they're not supposed to beat, and generally exceed expectations. Until the Yotes can prove themselves, they can expect a hard uphill road. Ask the Bison about that. They have not yet had a winning conference record (two 4-4 records are their high water marks in three years in the GWFC so far.)

It's not the NCC. It's not the GWFC. It is literally a whole new league.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                    Since USD will not be able to out talent anyone in this Conference they will have to do things the hard way and that is by outcoaching, out executing, out muscling and simply being mentally strong the whole way through it.
                    I guess I don't see that as being out of the question. USD has a lot of the same kinds of kids SDSU does. With the right mindset, there's no reason that USD shouldn't keep itself out of the bottom tier of the league and surprise somebody. I'll root for them when they're not playing us.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Where is any team going to place in the MVFC in two years, or even next year?

WIU goes from contender, to cellar, to play-offs.
                      In St, former cellar dweller, now have a decent coach, and getting some players.
                      NDSU, near the cellar, then play-offs with a 4-4 conference performance.
                      UNI, usually near the top, but with * about some of the teams.
                      SIU, usually near the top.
                      YSU, haven't been great the 3 years with SDSU in league, but always a tough W
                      SDSU, contender most years.
                      Mo St., likely down.
                      Il St, contender most years.

USD??? Didn't play well vs UNI or NDSU in last two season, but only UNI once in Dakotadome. Dakota Dome is a pretty good home advantage, they'll get some home wins in MVFC play each season. They'll need to win on the road to get anywhere, and so far that road winning ability has not shone through.

Comment

I think it's kind of ironic that the Minnesota win was so good for the overall stature of the Yotes and what they were able to accomplish. It also acts as a huge shocker at the programs inability to substain positive momentum. How can a team look so good in one game at Minnesota yet so poor in another game at Lamar. I realise that ups and downs that programs have throughout the year but the Yotes take it to another level. It's really quite alarming actually. I cannot have total faith that the program has arrived until they can have one season where they play solid football all the way through. Not one great win followed by two head scratching losses.

There is one big difference in SDSU football vs USD football. The talent is likely very close but the Jacks are coached up so much better and don't have the extent of the roller coaster ride that is Coyote Football.

Meirkort has a good personality and is a good recruiter. The problem is, that he doesn't have the internal resolve and doesn't demand the discipline that is necessary to have a successfull overall program on the field of play. It shows when USD gets into a tight game in the second half. Almost every USD game that comes down to the last possession or two ends up in a loss. I believe it's because that players don't trush the system and the coaches don't have the moxy to come up with winning game strategies in the clutch. Any time a game comes down to X's and O's and strategy USD will almost always come out of it on the short end of the stick. I really don't blame the players as I think they are talented, good kids that just don't have the proper direction when they need it. General team discipline, penalties etc always act as an achilles heal. I am as convinced as ever that the team will never be able to take the next step if things continue down the same path. Now that USD has inexperience at both the OC and DC postions (neither is worthy of a D1 coordinator position) it doesn't add up to a successfull season. Meierkort could succeed if he had two good coordinators running the show but the more he puts his hands on a particular unit the more likely that unit is to not run smoothly. He is a good personality and a good embassador but not a good hands on X's and O's coach.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I think it's kind of ironic that the Minnesota win was so good for the overall stature of the Yotes and what they were able to accomplish. It also acts as a huge shocker at the programs inability to substain positive momentum. How can a team look so good in one game at Minnesota yet so poor in another game at Lamar. I realise that ups and downs that programs have throughout the year but the Yotes take it to another level. It's really quite alarming actually. I cannot have total faith that the program has arrived until they can have one season where they play solid football all the way through. Not one great win followed by two head scratching losses.

There is one big difference in SDSU football vs USD football. The talent is likely very close but the Jacks are coached up so much better and don't have the extent of the roller coaster ride that is Coyote Football.

Meirkort has a good personality and is a good recruiter. The problem is, that he doesn't have the internal resolve and doesn't demand the discipline that is necessary to have a successfull overall program on the field of play. It shows when USD gets into a tight game in the second half. Almost every USD game that comes down to the last possession or two ends up in a loss. I believe it's because that players don't trush the system and the coaches don't have the moxy to come up with winning game strategies in the clutch. Any time a game comes down to X's and O's and strategy USD will almost always come out of it on the short end of the stick. I really don't blame the players as I think they are talented, good kids that just don't have the proper direction when they need it. General team discipline, penalties etc always act as an achilles heal. I am as convinced as ever that the team will never be able to take the next step if things continue down the same path. Now that USD has inexperience at both the OC and DC postions (neither is worthy of a D1 coordinator position) it doesn't add up to a successfull season. Meierkort could succeed if he had two good coordinators running the show but the more he puts his hands on a particular unit the more likely that unit is to not run smoothly. He is a good personality and a good embassador but not a good hands on X's and O's coach.

TLDR, except for the 1st paragraph.

I think Minnesota was really that bad. I was actually at the USD game and Minnesota got their butts kicked all over the field. Dante Warren, who I was impressed with, only needed to bootleg out and he had at least two or three receivers open or he ran it for ten yards. It was a discipline issue with the Gopher team and they were terrible.

However, I don't want to take away the win for USD. They won and definitely deserved it. I just think Minnesota was really bad last year as well.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            TLDR, except for the 1st paragraph.

I think Minnesota was really that bad. I was actually at the USD game and Minnesota got their butts kicked all over the field. Dante Warren, who I was impressed with, only needed to bootleg out and he had at least two or three receivers open or he ran it for ten yards. It was a discipline issue with the Gopher team and they were terrible.

However, I don't want to take away the win for USD. They won and definitely deserved it. I just think Minnesota was really bad last year as well.
                            Minnesota wasn't real good but a big 10 win, is a big 10 win, is a big 10 win. USD had a few occassions where they could have just settled with playing close and ended up giving the game away. USD stayed agressive the entire game and alway responded when Minnesota would close the gap. That is something the Coyotes definately don't have a tendency to do. For whatever reason USD played with a nothing to loss attitude that day. Usually they play as if not to lose rather than to win. There was a big different all around with the way the Coyotes approached everything with that game compared to usual. The point is, that game was the exception rather than the rule for how USD plays football.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Minnesota wasn't real good but a big 10 win, is a big 10 win, is a big 10 win. USD had a few occassions where they could have just settled with playing close and ended up giving the game away. USD stayed agressive the entire game and alway responded when Minnesota would close the gap. That is something the Coyotes definately don't have a tendency to do. For whatever reason USD played with a nothing to loss attitude that day. Usually they play as if not to lose rather than to win. There was a big different all around with the way the Coyotes approached everything with that game compared to usual. The point is, that game was the exception rather than the rule for how USD plays football.

I agree with you. But it's about the same as SDSU's win over Iowa this year in basketball. Great win, but Iowa was a terrible terrible team.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X