Board of Regents Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board of Regents Meeting

The Board of Regents Meeting is at SDSU next week. The agenda and items are online here:
    http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/2011/March.htm

It includes new SDSU master dining and residential plans. It also has a great report on the opportunity scholarship. In the history of the program 40% of all of the scholars in the state have attended SDSU. The table is on page 11.

SDSU 2944 opportunity scholars
    USD 1505 opportunity scholars

Full Opportunity Scholarship report
    http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...LLBOR0311S.pdf

More items and analysis to follow when I have more time to read the packet.

Re: Board of Regents Meeting

In the master plan and also on the committee of budget and finance is also an important item. SDSU has a preliminary facility statement for a new 800 bed residence hall on the southeast corner of campus. The preliminary facility statement is the first official step of the regents process for approval. Next a building committee will be appointed and at the next meeting will be Facility Program Plan. Then construction.

With this will also be another dining services expansion. Link to facility statement

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...B0311III-D.pdf

Also, not included, any plans for athletic facilities removed from the Board's December agenda.

Comment

I thought the athletic plans for SDSU and USD were going to be on this meeting but it appears they are not. Any guess on when those plans will be introduced?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I thought the athletic plans for SDSU and USD were going to be on this meeting but it appears they are not. Any guess on when those plans will be introduced?
        I remember reading they will be discussed by the Regents on April 1 where we are looking for approval to move ahead with the facility process.

Comment

Yeah, that reminded me...thanks.

Comment

HONESTLY???????????????

http://beta.argusleader.com/article/...ws|text|Sports

Makes my freaking head numb.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The regents sure know how to crush any sense of optimism about athletic facilities and educational growth in the state university system. It's time for a statewide ballot issue to reconstitute and redirect the mission of that spineless board of political followers.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                The regents sure know how to crush any sense of optimism about athletic facilities and educational growth in the state university system. It's time for a statewide ballot issue to reconstitute and redirect the mission of that spineless board of political followers.
                Actually, the most noxious quote:

"Time's always a consideration, but I think it's going to take many years to raise the money to do these projects," Warner said. "So I'm not sure a few months on the front end makes that much difference."

came from an employee, not a political appointee.

This is absolutely *not* what you want to hear from your EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR.

This quote also:

"We have to manage our agendas, and this one will obviously be taken up with a lot of discussion in how to cope with budget cuts and wrestling with the idea of tuitions and fees," Warner said. "The stadium agents will have to wait another day."

is frustrating.

Contrast Chicoine's letter in the front of the recent State magazine with Warner's waffling.

Comment

Maybe the Regents just want to manage public perceptions by waiting until June since the news in April and May is going to be all about the layoffs and eliminated programs at the Regental campuses.

I'm afraid the average person out there might not understand how you can be talking about multi-million dollar stadiums while you're firing faculty and staff at the same time. We know they are two different pots of money. But does the ordinary, distracted person out there understand it? I'm not so sure.

Personally, I don't blame the Regents at all for these delays. In fact, the BOR had made great progress in advancing our campuses into the 21st Century... up until three years ago when the budget rug was pulled out from under them. They have been supportive of athletics as well. But with the budget situation as it is, they have to consider the political ramifications and the public perceptions of what they're doing.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Can Coyotes and Jackrabbits agree these people are boneheads who are just obstructing both our programs at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                      Can Coyotes and Jackrabbits agree these people are boneheads who are just obstructing both our programs at this point?
                      yeah, but you have to understand their point of view. They just got cut 10%, to come out of the meeting and announce two very expensive sports projects would not come off well. You, me and everyone on this board understands that it will be private money and all they need is the go ahead. However to much of South Dakota, they don't understand that and see teachers getting cut, tuition going up and big sports addition together and they aren't happy. I think they want to get the budget out of the way and then approve projects.

Comment

Respectfully disagree, Yote53. I appreciate the sentiment but I lean toward JimmyJack's explanation two posts up. I assume fund-raising is going on behind the scene. But, if we're not on the agenda in the near-term, then, I'll second your emotion.

Comment

I guess we will disagree, then again, I am no politician and do not have the patience for the profession. It has been very clear from the start these projects are to be completed with private funds. Citizens can understand that concept. Just another case of government treating us like children. In then end these projects will end up costing more just so they can play the political game. Now, that is something I am getting upset about.

Comment

I guess we will disagree, then again, I am no politician and do not have the patience for the profession. It has been very clear from the start these projects are to be completed with private funds. Citizens can understand that concept. Just another case of government treating us like children. In then end these projects will end up costing more just so they can play the political game. Now, that is something I am getting upset about.

I'm with you. If it's coming from 100% private donations, then there should be no problems.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              I'm with you. If it's coming from 100% private donations, then there should be no problems.
                              But the mentality of a lot of people is that either those donations would go to the school's endowment or if they can raise money to have a 50-200 million dollar stadium they shouldn't be cutting faculty or research individuals at the Universities. The Board of Regents wants to win the media with these "drastic cuts" saying we are taking a lot of pain and its hurting the students. If right after they cut the faculty they announce a 120 million stadium at SDSU and a 45 million dollar basketball facility for USD they lose a lot of people. (I'm guessing on numbers have no clue what they actually will be)

Comment

Working...
                              X