SDSU - Northwest Quadrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU - Northwest Quadrant

Interesting article recently in the Brookings Register....

Local Developers want to stop NW quad.... http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...story_id=10594

Can't say I disagree with them (the developers)
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: SDSU - Northwest Quadrant

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    Interesting article recently in the Brookings Register....

Local Developers want to stop NW quad.... http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...story_id=10594

Can't say I disagree with them (the developers)
    I think to develope this area will take more fill than we have if we were to tear up I-29 from Brookings to Sioux Falls and were to haul all that concrete to the NW Q. That ground is so low and waterlogged that its seems to even flood out the Rodeo, or atleast it did when rodeos were held there. The creek runs from Hendricks Mn down to Brookings and it flows right into the Northwest Quandrant. So you are building on a creek bottom which makes no sense at all. It's nutty plan if I may say so. I do not think that these plans are worth the paper they are printed on. That to say nothing about the tax advantage that SDSU will reap from this type of developement.

We need to relocate the Ag Museum, but the other stuff does create town and gown problems.

Comment

The Register story is one sided and tells the story that the big landlords who own lots of housing want to tell. As a former student I can tell you that there has been and looks to still be a lack of quality housing near campus.

Before anyone forms an opinion maybe they should get the other side of the story. What SDSU is talking about is a public/private partnership that will pay taxes. Students who might live in the apartments will be paying a little higher rent then the current avg. because of location so the current landlords will still be able to compete - or maybe they will have to compete for the first time and treat the students more fairly.

http://www.sdstate.edu/about/nw-neig...e&PageID=76646

This is not new. Lots of Universities across the nation have done this very same thing. If any of you went to Lubbock, TX to watch the Women play in their first NCAA tournament you saw a project very much like this one near the Texas Tech campus.

Our University's leadership knows what it is doing, and who are you going to trust to do the right thing SDSU or the 3 or 4 major landlord who own most of the off campus student housing and profit off the students who come to SDSU?
      Last edited by LakeJack; 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        The Register story is one sided and tells the story that the big landlords who own lots of housing want to tell. As a former student I can tell you that there has been and looks to still be a lack of quality housing near campus.

Before anyone forms an opinion maybe they should get the other side of the story. What SDSU is talking about is a public/private partnership that will pay taxes. Students who might live in the apartments will be paying a little higher rent then the current avg. because of location so the current landlords will still be able to compete (or maybe they will have to compete for the first time and treat the students more fairly).

This is not new. Lots of Universities across the nation have done this very same thing. If any of you went to Lubbock, TX to watch the Women play in their first NCAA tournament you saw a project very much like this one near the Texas Tech campus.

Our University's leadership knows what it is doing, and who are you going to trust to do the right thing SDSU or the 3 or 4 major landlord who own most of the off campus student housing and profit off the students who come to SDSU?
        Building on a creek bed does not make any sense. I do not know any of the developers on a one on one basis so don't have dog in that fight. I am not a structual engineer either, but that proposed location is not fit for building period, and that is what I see as a big big problem. If they are thinking of building where the old horse barn is now, then maybe it makes sense, but right in that corner and to the west the ground is very low and floods often, and may require some sort of diversion to keep everything dry.

As far as student housing the idea seems good but why not pick a suitible site to build?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Building on a creek bed does not make any sense. I do not know any of the developers on a one on one basis so don't have dog in that fight. I am not a structual engineer either, but that proposed location is not fit for building period, and that is what I see as a big big problem. If they are thinking of building where the old horse barn is now, then maybe it makes sense, but right in that corner and to the west the ground is very low and floods often, and may require some sort of diversion to keep everything dry.

As far as student housing the idea seems good but why not pick a suitible site to build?
          As a floodplain expert, and dealing with the Katrina rebuilding, any structures built to the NW should be elevated, preferrably on an open base by about 4' above existing grade. That whole stretch between Medary, HWY 14 bypass, 11th St. and Sexaur Park (SW corner) is very suspetible to flooding. Plus there is a very hydraulically connected sand/gravel surficial aquifer on either side of 6-Mile Creek. Note the water treatment plant and wellhouses just north of the creek on old 77 (Medary extended north). The area can be developed, but smart building will be needed to protect the development from flood losses, and the beneficial use of the floodplain from the encroachments of man.

Comment

Click the link and read the study. It shows you where the building could be. It shows the floodplain. It has nice drawings and everything.

SDSU has done its homework.

Comment

Affordable housing is an issue in Brookings and has been for ages. Over the years many businesses have wanted to expand (Larsons and Daktronics in particular) but it has been hard for them to attract families to town because of the lack of affordable housing.

Many families will buy a home in Brookings and have their child and a few friends live in it to make it cash flow. Of course there a hindreds of houses that are used as rentals that are occupied by students. That takes a lot of those houses off the market. If a development such as this would entice students to stay on campus it could be a good thing.

The developers have reasons to be concerned but I'm not sure how concerned the city ought to be. They are probably worried more about their own back pocket. Competition is usually a good thing.

Mr. Bielfeldt has done a great job with the Innovation Village and hope he does get the chance to expand. Its also good for the town.

My $.02

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If the developers were providing the necessary services to students then SDSU wouldn't be looking into building this. From all I've heard there is a shortage of affordable housing close to campus and this is being done to alleviate the problem.

No, the city won't collect property taxes on the project, but they will collect sales tax and benefit from the construction project and the workers it will provide. The City already generetes a ton of revenue from the students from added sales tax, this project won't change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  If the developers were providing the necessary services to students then SDSU wouldn't be looking into building this. From all I've heard there is a shortage of affordable housing close to campus and this is being done to alleviate the problem.

No, the city won't collect property taxes on the project, but they will collect sales tax and benefit from the construction project and the workers it will provide. The City already generetes a ton of revenue from the students from added sales tax, this project won't change that.
                  Actually, it is my understanding, that because this is proposed as a public/private partnership property tax would be paid on the development itself (above ground), just not the land.

The public land of course is not taxed now so nothing is lost and there is a property tax gain on the privately developed structures. So it is a property tax plus up (more property tax will come in not less year after year).

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                    Actually, it is my understanding, that because this is proposed as a public/private partnership property tax would be paid on the development itself (above ground), just not the land.

The public land of course is not taxed now so nothing is lost and there is a property tax gain on the privately developed structures. So it is a property tax plus up (more property tax will come in not less year after year).

Go State!
                    The only thing I know about the project is what I read in the article and the development plan that was linked. As far as I can see this is a no brainer for the council to approve, just hope the politics don't screw it all up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      The only thing I know about the project is what I read in the article and the development plan that was linked. As far as I can see this is a no brainer for the council to approve, just hope the politics don't screw it all up.
                      I don't think the City Council has anything to do with it. The developers are simply asking them to issue a statement that their stance is against the project. I don't know why they would issue such a statement.

The good news here for both the town and campus is the fact that both are growing and prospering even through an economic downturn. The future is very promising for both. Sure beats having to be cutting football or things of that nature.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

All right developers. Point taken. When will your development plans for that area begin to show results?

Not soon? Never?

Ok, then. Next issue.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post

Before anyone forms an opinion maybe they should get the other side of the story. What SDSU is talking about is a public/private partnership that will pay taxes. Students who might live in the apartments will be paying a little higher rent then the current avg. because of location so the current landlords will still be able to compete - or maybe they will have to compete for the first time and treat the students more fairly.

Thanks for the other side of ths story.

I'm all for the development, as long as taxes are being paid.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Didn't USD just complete a similiar apartment complex in Vermillion?

Comment

This looks like an exciting project for the University and hope the "power brokers" in Brookings don't get this derailed as it appears to have more creativity then anything they have or could bring to the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X