NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL

Everyone says there will be an NFL season next year.

I'm not buying it...I think both the owner and players are to stubborn and dumb to budge.

I'm sticking to my belief that there will be no NFL next season.

Personally, I'd back the players if this was all about some sort of retirement and insurance system, but I don't think that's even part of the deal, is it?

Obviously quite a few players have big enough contracts that retirement and insurance isn't an issue, but there are also plenty of players that play for the league minimum, that, while still is a substantial amount, probably wouldn't cover a forced retirement and bills due to injury.

I guess overall, I've convinced myself that there won't be an NFL this year.

Bummer too, because I was looking forward to seeing what Batten brought to the table for the Bills.

Discuss.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: NFL

I'm convinced that they will have a season next year, because as stubborn and stupid as they seem right now - they can't possible be STU, STU, STU-pid enough to jeopardize the season. (That kind of rolled off the tongue and felt pretty natural - I .... don't ......understand.)

IMHO to do so, would alienate the NFL fans to the point of hurting the league (attendance=revenues=salaries) for the immediate future (1-3 years).

In that regard - I would like to see a movement of the NFL fanbase, grass roots style - which we know is pretty deep and pretty wide. Take the fight to them and tell them we want lower ticket prices, more affordable jerseys, concessions, parking, TV, etc.

Eventually, they will stop acting like 1st graders and come to their senses. To fail to do so, is an insult to the human race. (Don't even get me started on slavery......)

Comment

I put the chances of no season at about .0001%. It'll take about 2 missed game checks for the players to realize '...sh##, I ain't got no money left'.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

A lot of the deal is the players want more of the television money. Hey, I know its hard to make ends meet with only a $10 million salary in these hard times. Didn't know too many "slaves" back in those days that made that much money.

Have a hard time siding with the players, except the hamburger squad guys that don't get the big bucks, when they whine about how it's unfair to them when they are signing for three year $78 million contracts and I'm sitting here trying to figure out how high grocery prices are going to go so I can feed my family and how high diesel is going to go so we can make our camping trip back to South Dakota this summer. I can find something else to watch this fall besides pro football.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          A lot of the deal is the players want more of the television money. Hey, I know its hard to make ends meet with only a $10 million salary in these hard times. Didn't know too many "slaves" back in those days that made that much money.

Have a hard time siding with the players, except the hamburger squad guys that don't get the big bucks, when they whine about how it's unfair to them when they are signing for three year $78 million contracts and I'm sitting here trying to figure out how high grocery prices are going to go so I can feed my family and how high diesel is going to go so we can make our camping trip back to South Dakota this summer. I can find something else to watch this fall besides pro football.

This /\/\/\.

I will be just fine watching College Football on Saturday's AND hopefully Sunday's next year. Actually if I was the NCAA, I would approach ESPN about putting the best FCS games on television on Sundays.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The only people that I can see being happy with no season would be the "sports authority" that oversees the MetroDump in Minny. I would assume that there is some sort of penalty that they have to pay for not being able to host Vikings games. Add that to the loss of revenue and its a bigtime ouch.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post

I have a hard time siding with the players OR the owners. Let them kill one of the most popular sports in the country out of greed. I don't care, I'll just watch baseball through October and college football

Comment

I think eventually a deal will get done. There's too much money too be made for them not to.

However, I do think it's going to take a while. Possibly quite a while.

I don't think we'll miss the season, but I would not be surprised if we have a shortened season.

Comment

I like how everyone says a deal will get done, because if it doesn't it'll kill the sport.

They've already killed the sport, at least at the NFL level by letting it get this far, IMO.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    They've already killed the sport, at least at the NFL level by letting it get this far, IMO.
                    Bull****. As soon as the NFL comes back it will go right back to being the number one sport in all measurable ways.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      Bull****. As soon as the NFL comes back it will go right back to being the number one sport in all measurable ways.
                      I'm sure you're correct.

People, in general, after all, are idiots.

Comment

I'm sure you're correct.

People, in general, after all, are idiots.
                        I agree that people are idiots. I hate people

But the NFL is awesome. The game itself, not the league and its policies.

Comment

I agree that people are idiots. I hate people

But the NFL is awesome. The game itself, not the league and its policies.
                          I agree, I do like the NFL.

I'm just being a bitter spoil sport.

Comment

I agree, I do like the NFL.

I'm just being a bitter spoil sport.
                            Good point. I'm going to be pissed with no NFL or Fantasy Football to drag my grades down next year. FUNFL

Comment

Good point. I'm going to be pissed with no NFL or Fantasy Football to drag my grades down next year. FUNFL
                              Know which sport I wouldn't care if they had a strike/lockout? The NBA.

Comment

Working...
                              X