SDSU vs. Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU vs. Illinois

I'm planning on going to Champagne for the game. Curious to know what advice there is from anyone who has ever been to a game there. I was there for a game when the Chicago Bears played in 2002 while Soldier Field was renovated. Any recommendations on where the best places to stay are, tailgating, best places to eat, drink, where not to go, etc? I also noticed tickets were really cheap if you go to stubhub especially in the horseshoe. I didn't sit there for the Bears game I went to, but I am trying to figure out why those seats sell so cheap.

Re: SDSU vs. Illinois

Have never been there, but I did a little digging. It doesn't appear that there's anything wrong with the seats aside from their being in the end zone. They're a bit removed from the field, but nothing too bad. Tickets are probably just cheap because a game with SDSU means little to Illinois fans. At any rate, here is a link with a lot of photos of the stadium, including some of the horseshoe end. Hope it helps.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ead.php?t=3912
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

The Alumni Association will be holding a pre-game event, details will be coming. It will be similar to what we did in Lincoln when nearly 800 Jackrabbits gathered and/or Newark, DE when over 100 Jackrabbits came together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdstate...7625792989095/

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
        The Alumni Association will be holding a pre-game event, details will be coming. It will be similar to what we did in Lincoln when nearly 800 Jackrabbits gathered and/or Newark, DE when over 100 Jackrabbits came together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdstate...7625792989095/

Go State!
        89 - A quick suggestion. I hope a food upgrade is in order. The Nebraska get together was my first pre-game rally and probably my last based on the price that was paid for admission and the food that was provided. That was one expensive footlong.

Not to be picky, but I'm just sayin....

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          89 -That was one expensive footlong.
          Wow, were we at the same function? I thought there were several different tables and a variety of food choices. Must have been the Yellow & Blue kool-ade that they were selling around the room! Being around fellow Staters does that to me. I'm sure the hotel, with its monopoly, didn't hesitate to "Jack" the bill for the visitors! Would not be surprised if the Alumni Assn didn't consider it a fundraiser. (but hope we broke even)

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Wow, were we at the same function? I thought there were several different tables and a variety of food choices. Must have been the Yellow & Blue kool-ade that they were selling around the room! Being around fellow Staters does that to me. I'm sure the hotel, with its monopoly, didn't hesitate to "Jack" the bill for the visitors! Would not be surprised if the Alumni Assn didn't consider it a fundraiser. (but hope we broke even)
            I did not make this event but this was my first thought as well. Only 89 has the answer.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I am sure 89 will tell you that they most likely lost money or broke even at best, but the Alum Association function is more geared to socialization of fellow alums and if you had a good time visiting its worth it for the Alum Assn to lose some money. The foundation helps fund the Alum Association some how. I am not sure exactly how, but starting a endowment to help fund these events is another giving opportunity at SDSU. The last State Magizine mentioned there was a need. When you attend these type of socials, you should not expect great quanitities of food. This is not Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet.

I believe there is an Old Country Buffett not far from the staduim.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 03-03-2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                DING - DING - DING! We have a winner. The only folks making money at that event was the hotel. The Alumni Assn. did not break even, but that is ok as we are not the fund raising arm of the University (That is the SDSU Foundation), we are the friend raising arm. We try to cover our costs and break even most of the time, but especially when we play the big schools that is not always possible. We try to keep the costs as low as possible so everyone can attend.

Go State!
                Last edited by 89rabbit; 03-03-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I am sure 89 will tell you that they most likely lost money or broke even at best, but the Alum Association function is more geared to socialization of fellow alums and if you had a good time visiting its worth it for the Alum Assn to lose some money. The foundation helps fund the Alum Association some how. I am not sure exactly how, but starting a endowment to help fund these events is another giving opportunity at SDSU. The last State Magizine mentioned there was a need. When you attend these type of socials, you should not expect great quanitities of food. This is not Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet.

I believe there is an Old Country Buffett not far from the staduim.
                  Nidaros hit the nail on the head. Alumni events are geared at connecting alumni to each other and to the school and he is right we do need our alumni's support. Many alumni associations charge dues (to get the Magazine, to be invited to pre-game events, etc.) our Alumni Associations Board of Directors has always wanted to be inclusive of all of our Alumni and Friends and has relied on other funding mechanism to provide the services that we do.

If anyone would like to help please feel free to support the Jackrabbits Forever Fund a fund administered by the SDSU Foundation to support the work of the Alumni Association. Even if it is just $5 every little bit helps and is greatly appreciated.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...id=1&pgid=1289

Another option that Nidaros has suggested, and has done himself, is to start an endowment to support the Alumni Association. Thank you again Nidaros!

P.S. for the record, the Alumni event in Lincoln was an all you care to eat event with many food table options.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] Thank you again Nidaros!

P.S. for the record, the Alumni event in Lincoln was an all you care to eat event with many food table options.

Go State!
                    Your welcome, and though I was not in Lincoln, its seems in the past, they always had much more than hot dogs. Good job 89.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Your welcome, and though I was not in Lincoln, its seems in the past, they always had much more than hot dogs. Good job 89.
                      Hot dogs and burgers are fine, but not for a $20/$25 "alumni gathering". I don't care if it is "all you can eat". If it is a fundraiser, let's call it that.

Maybe it is because I got there late, but I swear that all that was there was some salads, footlongs, hamburgers, baked beans, chips, brownies, and some other side items. My memory may be fading and I could be incorrect, but I know for a fact that I was not the only one at our table who made the comment that they were unimpressed with the food choices.

I'm not saying we need filet mignon, but I personally expected "more" in quality, not quantity. And no, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

For all I care, we can have alumni gatherings in a public park, BYOB and BYOF. I'll even help move the picnic tables around!

and you can rip into me starting...........NOW

Comment

Hot dogs and burgers are fine, but not for a $20/$25 "alumni gathering". I don't care if it is "all you can eat". If it is a fundraiser, let's call it that.

Maybe it is because I got there late, but I swear that all that was there was some salads, footlongs, hamburgers, baked beans, chips, brownies, and some other side items. My memory may be fading and I could be incorrect, but I know for a fact that I was not the only one at our table who made the comment that they were unimpressed with the food choices.

I'm not saying we need filet mignon, but I personally expected "more" in quality, not quantity. And no, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

For all I care, we can have alumni gatherings in a public park, BYOB and BYOF. I'll even help move the picnic tables around!

You aksed and now you shall receive.

Have you tried to rent a ballroom in a facility close to the stadium on gameday in a major college town lately? Guess what? They aren't giving the rent away I can promise you like that. The fact that the Alumni Association was able to score that room in the Embassy Suites last year was a real bonus. Two blocks from the stadium in a room where there is seating for everyone. Most places in town you can't find a seat. $25 was a very reasonable price.

Enjoy the park!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

and for the record. Those were Fairbury Beef Hot Dogs which have been a tradition at Husker games for decades. But maybe a chicken and pork dog would have been just fine.

Now I'm getting chippy. Sorry folks.

To 89rabbit and the crew, keep up the great work! See you in SF and hopefully Illinois in the fall!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I make one suggestion and get crucified for it, which is exactly why I spend so little time on this Board.

At no time did I say 89 or any other of our representatives did a poor job with the gathering, nor did I say I didn't have a bad time.

Some of u need to get a life, or at least pick the Kleenex up off your keyboard.

Yes, someone pissed in my cheerios, ie gave both my kids Influenza B.

Comment

What WOULD have been a fair price?

Comment

Working...
                              X