Rough start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough start...

Jacks start season 0-3. Time to string together some W's.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Re: Rough start...

They lost close games to pretty good teams. No neeed to panic.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I am not going to panic, but Texas-Arlington, Houston Baptist, and Missouri St. are not the schools I think of when I think of pretty good baseball teams.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
        I am not going to panic, but Texas-Arlington, Houston Baptist, and Missouri St. are not the schools I think of when I think of pretty good baseball teams.
        It was Dallas Baptist and they are tradintionally are very very good baseball team. Missouri State is also typically very good. Couple that with us playing Southern teams who have likely played some games already (or at least have been able to practice outside) and I wouldn't read much into it. The pitching was there, just no offense. That will come.

Comment

Anyone heard and scuttle on the new bats they are now required to use?? I know Ritchie was not a fan at all when the ruling came out, especailly with how well his teams hit the long ball.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            It was Dallas Baptist and they are tradintionally are very very good baseball team. Missouri State is also typically very good. Couple that with us playing Southern teams who have likely played some games already (or at least have been able to practice outside) and I wouldn't read much into it. The pitching was there, just no offense. That will come.
            If I recall TV said all three had a higher RPI then us plus I seem to remember the ORU folks talking up Dallas Baptist as a solid team to bring into the Summit as a Baseball only member who would improve the conference RPI; dramatically. Plus your correct, all three of our first foes can play outdoors year around giving them a big advantage over us in early season games.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
              All 3 have good baseball programs and would have been disappointed to lose to a South Dakota team. I'm not saying we can't beat teams like these but it shouldn't be assumed.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

- Tyler Oakes, SDSU pitching coach, joined the Sports Block on Feb. 28th, 2011 in studio to preview the baseball season and talk about the Jacks opening road trip in Texas.

MP4: http://www.archive.org/details/TylerOakesInterview
                Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Just to put this weekend in a little perspective. Tonight Dallas Baptist beat TCU, Missouri State beat Oklahoma State and UT Arlington lost in late innings by one run to Oklahoma. All three teams we played this weekend are good teams with strong pitching and good hitting throughout their lineups.

We threw four pitchers this weekend and each one was very effective. I think the most earned runs given up by any of them was 3 and two of the three starters threw complete games. This was very encouraging since it was the first outing for each and the first time they had thrown from a mound outdoors since last fall.

We certainly didn't hit much and didn't get the key hit when we needed it, but hitting is this team's strong suit and I have no doubt it will come around soon. I would not be surprised if the bats wake up this weekend.

Our defense was not what it should or will be. We made three errors in each game and the errors ultimately cost us two of the three games. Some of the guys told me they had some difficulty adjusting to being outdoors and the perspective of throwing and fielding in an open space as opposed to being in the gym. ( I am will to accept this since my son made two of the throwing errors). We were a solid defensive club last year and that too should improve soon enough.

Overall, I came away very encouraged by what I saw this weekend. All three games were close, and we could have won each. The new bats do make somewhat of a difference but we did hit two home runs and didn't give up any. The one Sawyer hit would still be airborne if he were using last year's bat. This team is going to win a lot of games this year and if we can get some repeat pitching performances like we just had, and the bats come to life, we are going to make some of the teams we play feel really bad about themselves. This is going to be a good year for Jackrabbit baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernJack View Post
                    Just to put this weekend in a little perspective. Tonight Dallas Baptist beat TCU, Missouri State beat Oklahoma State and UT Arlington lost in late innings by one run to Oklahoma. All three teams we played this weekend are good teams with strong pitching and good hitting throughout their lineups.

We threw four pitchers this weekend and each one was very effective. I think the most earned runs given up by any of them was 3 and two of the three starters threw complete games. This was very encouraging since it was the first outing for each and the first time they had thrown from a mound outdoors since last fall.

We certainly didn't hit much and didn't get the key hit when we needed it, but hitting is this team's strong suit and I have no doubt it will come around soon. I would not be surprised if the bats wake up this weekend.

Our defense was not what it should or will be. We made three errors in each game and the errors ultimately cost us two of the three games. Some of the guys told me they had some difficulty adjusting to being outdoors and the perspective of throwing and fielding in an open space as opposed to being in the gym. ( I am will to accept this since my son made two of the throwing errors). We were a solid defensive club last year and that too should improve soon enough.

Overall, I came away very encouraged by what I saw this weekend. All three games were close, and we could have won each. The new bats do make somewhat of a difference but we did hit two home runs and didn't give up any. The one Sawyer hit would still be airborne if he were using last year's bat. This team is going to win a lot of games this year and if we can get some repeat pitching performances like we just had, and the bats come to life, we are going to make some of the teams we play feel really bad about themselves. This is going to be a good year for Jackrabbit baseball.
                    Thanks, its good that we get an informed take on what reallyhappened. I am would favor a change in the name of the thread from Rough start to a Normal or Encouraging start. Getting to Rosenblatt next June would take some real doing. Our guys are better than ever, and our program has come a long ways from the days of D2 and 30 wins being an exceptional season.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Thanks, its good that we get an informed take on what reallyhappened. I am would favor a change in the name of the thread from Rough start to a Normal or Encouraging start. Getting to Rosenblatt next June would take some real doing. Our guys are better than ever, and our program has come a long ways from the days of D2 and 30 wins being an exceptional season.
                      We won't make it to Rosenblatt. Not that it's not possible, just the College World Series has moved to TD Ameritrade Park in downtown Omaha.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                        We won't make it to Rosenblatt. Not that it's not possible, just the College World Series has moved to TD Ameritrade Park in downtown Omaha.
                        To quote another native Nebraskan, John Carson, "I did not know that."

Comment

Going to miss the 'Blatt, but the new place looks OK.

This year's Jacks vs. Creighton series won't be played at TD Ameritrade Park, but assuming they play in Omaha again next year, it will be, as Creighton will be playing all its home games there starting in 2012.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                            Going to miss the 'Blatt, but the new place looks OK.

This year's Jacks vs. Creighton series won't be played at TD Ameritrade Park, but assuming they play in Omaha again next year, it will be, as Creighton will be playing all its home games there starting in 2012.
                            It will be very nice, but it will be corporate and to be honest that sucks. The college world series is a blast and is meant for youth and baseball fans......not for people in a suit who just want to be seen.

I truly hope it doesn't kill the atmosphere of one of the best sporting events you can be apart of.......and even afford.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              All 3 have good baseball programs and would have been disappointed to lose to a South Dakota team. I'm not saying we can't beat teams like these but it shouldn't be assumed.
                              I didn't assume that we would beat them. I just stated that I did not think of these 3 teams when I thought of good baseball teams. They may be decent programs, but I do not recall any of them playing in Omaha. Why would it be disappointing to lose to a South Dakota team if the South Dakota team was a "Good" program.

Comment

Working...
                              X