Cancelling classes on Sub zero days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling classes on Sub zero days

With the warm-up that has occurred in the last few days, this topic is somewhat amusing.

Read the comments that follow the letter to the editor. They are very macho and probably right on spot. Especially when current students dress for spring in the middle of winter.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...|text|Voices|s
    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM.

Re: Cancelling classes on Sub zero days

Being a graduate of Lake Area Tech, where, on the first day of classes, they told us flat out, "Don't expect to ever have school called off, for anything, blizzard, cold, apocalypse...you're adults, we're preparing you for the real world", I tend to agree with the "dress warm and live with it" sentiment.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I'm split.

I agree that college should prepare students for the real world, and going to work in cold weather is part of that.

However, there is a real health risk to bitterly cold weather. Not many professional careers require you to walk over a quarter mile from your car to the office.

Most professionals I know step into their 40 degree garage, get into their car that warms up in about a block, and park in a lot about 50 steps from the office. When its that cold, at 4:45 they run out and start their car (if they don't have remote start) and head home at quitting time. That's pretty different than what college kids go through.

In Sioux Falls, I believe the district policy is to cancel school if wind chill is colder than -40. That seems pretty reasonable.

All it will take is one incident, and the higher ed schools will be forced to have a policy on classes in cold weather. I don't see what's wrong with having a policy like "colder than -40 and classes are cancelled" before someone gets into trouble. Maybe they already have a policy like that.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        However, there is a real health risk to bitterly cold weather. Not many professional careers require you to walk over a quarter mile from your car to the office.
        If you are walking a quarter mile on SDSU's campus without entering a building, then you are doing something wrong.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          If you are walking a quarter mile on SDSU's campus without entering a building, then you are doing something wrong.
          I would venture a guess and say Corthers to Larson commons is at least 1/4 mile... Just sayin.

Lincoln music hall would be further as well and not have a building that would really make sense to walk thru.
          Last edited by slosho; 02-14-2011, 11:28 PM. Reason: Furthermore

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            I would venture a guess and say Corthers to Larson commons is at least 1/4 mile... Just sayin.

Lincoln music hall would be further as well and not have a building that would really make sense to walk thru.
            Well, when it comes to winter on the SDSU campus, you can either figure out a path that allows you to stay warm while you walk (and possible have to go a little out of your way) or a person can bundle up like the little brother on "A Christmas Story" and take your chances.

I always figured out a way to get from Young Hall to Lincoln, to Ag Engineering without freezing. Perhaps during orientation for incoming students, they should give them a "cold weather map" to help them figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              Well, when it comes to winter on the SDSU campus, you can either figure out a path that allows you to stay warm while you walk (and possible have to go a little out of your way) or a person can bundle up like the little brother on "A Christmas Story" and take your chances.

I always figured out a way to get from Young Hall to Lincoln, to Ag Engineering without freezing. Perhaps during orientation for incoming students, they should give them a "cold weather map" to help them figure it out.
              I agree...there are plenty of buildings on campus you can walk through as you venture across campus to keep yourself warm. It isn't that hard to figure out!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I agree...there are plenty of buildings on campus you can walk through as you venture across campus to keep yourself warm. It isn't that hard to figure out!
                Although, I do agree with the poster that mentioned the school's ability to get class cancellations out in a timely matter. I can remember going from Young Hall over to a geography lab in Wecota or Waneta only to find it had been cancelled.

Thankfully, at that time, there was still a Campus Pub to warm up in after grabbing a Brown Bagger from Mad Jacks. (Caution, this post may cause you to feel old.)

Comment

Working...
                X