PDA

View Full Version : You can take the kid out of Wisconsin, but...

MaddogJack
02-04-2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/307491/

Don't mean to pile on - because I know "kids, will be kids" - but I thought it was interesting to read when I was checking in on the online InForum.

slosho
02-04-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/307491/

Don't mean to pile on - because I know "kids, will be kids" - but I thought it was interesting to read when I was checking in on the online InForum.

If it was Spotted Cow... I'll forgive him.:)

RabbitObsessed
02-04-2011, 09:48 PM
College athletes that aren't 21 drink alcohol?!

jackmd
02-04-2011, 10:20 PM
College athletes that aren't 21 drink alcohol?!

Exactly. Breaking the law is not that big a deal. I mean, we all break the law on a regular basis right?

Breaking the law is just fine and it certainly shouldn't be news when a scholarship athlete receiving a fee education does it. Ridiculous, I agree.

In fact, perhaps we shouldn't even consider someone "normal" if they don't break the law. Some laws are ridiculous after all.

joeboo22
02-05-2011, 02:02 AM
famous last words before 95% of people go into the ditch in Wisconsin, "hold my beer and watch this"

mitchellrabbit
02-05-2011, 04:52 AM
Exactly. Breaking the law is not that big a deal. I mean, we all break the law on a regular basis right?

Breaking the law is just fine and it certainly shouldn't be news when a scholarship athlete receiving a fee education does it. Ridiculous, I agree.

In fact, perhaps we shouldn't even consider someone "normal" if they don't break the law. Some laws are ridiculous after all.

Boy, glad to hear i am and was "normal"

SturgisJeff
02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Boy, glad to hear i am and was "normal"

I'll drink to that

jackmd
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I'll drink to that

I'm going to wait until I arrive at the banquet this evening, then I'll drink to your drinking to that. I've got my ride home arranged already and it isn't my wife. The young man should learn a valuable lesson or he'll repeat the same mistake over and over again. Sticking his name on the front page of the paper should embarrass him and I hope he thinks about that the next time the opportunity to make a decision arrives.

jacksfan29
02-05-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm going to wait until I arrive at the banquet this evening, then I'll drink to your drinking to that. I've got my ride home arranged already and it isn't my wife. The young man should learn a valuable lesson or he'll repeat the same mistake over and over again. Sticking his name on the front page of the paper should embarrass him and I hope he thinks about that the next time the opportunity to make a decision arrives.

Not to be too snarky (is that a word?) but I didn't realize the article stated he was caught drinking and driving. I read that he was ticketed for Minor in Possession. Unfortunately kids make mistakes, I know I did. Mr. Jensen made a mistake. How about before we tar and feather him we wait to see if he learned from this incident.

SDSUAlum08
02-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Underage drinking, especially in college, is not something to be too worried about. (Unless its out of control, etc.) Everyone does it, but not everyone gets caught. I've been to many parties with SDSU college athletes. They drink too.

UWMandSDSU
02-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Everyone does it, but not everyone gets caught. I've been to many parties with SDSU college athletes. They drink too.

Agree with the point that college-aged kids make mistakes. But I disagree with you that "everyone does it". If in fact, "everyone does it", does that make it right?

RabbitObsessed
02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Agree with the point that college-aged kids make mistakes. But I disagree with you that "everyone does it". If in fact, "everyone does it", does that make it right?

The only reason it's not "right" is because our country has a ridiculous drinking age.

Nidaros
02-05-2011, 03:20 PM
The only reason it's not "right" is because our country has a ridiculous drinking age.

Yes ridiculously young, it should be reset to age 25. :D

RabbitObsessed
02-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Yes ridiculously young, it should be reset to age 25. :D

One of the reasons that kids in this country binge drink at such a high rate is that because of the drinking age. Kids in European countries grow up in a society where a glass of whine or a beer with dinner is normal. Because of this, they are more used to alcohol and drink it more responsibly.

SDSUAlum08
02-05-2011, 03:27 PM

OK then.

98% of people do it and the other 2% lie about it.

tjbison
02-05-2011, 03:40 PM
One of the reasons that kids in this country binge drink at such a high rate is that because of the drinking age. Kids in European countries grow up in a society where a glass of whine or a beer with dinner is normal. Because of this, they are more used to alcohol and drink it more responsibly.

True^^, funny story just happened a couple weeks ago, German lady (very Nice looking BTW) was at a function and we got to talking about about beer and drinking age, she said she grew up drinking beer with her parents the only age limit was to go to establishments without adults. She said they don't have alot of the problems we have because its accepted in the whole society.

thats the cliff notes version

Nidaros
02-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Granted the binge drinking is a problem, and North Dakota leads in some stat related to binge drinking. I think it's easy to generlize about cultures and alcohol beverages, but there are some people who should never ever pick up a beverage and consume. Alcohol is not a food but a drug, and it affects people differently just as penicillin affects each and everyone diffently. Some are allerigic to both penicillin and alcohol or maybe just alcohol like myself, and thats what makes picking up a drink a crap shoot. It may not affect you or it might make you crazy or make one over indulge such as it did to Mr. Jensen. I do think we could move the legal age back to 18 but in doing so there should be more education on the fact that they are consuming a legalized drug. I never heard anyone tell me that it was a drug until I attended an DUI school. So the education on this matter was sorely lacking back 50 years ago.

SturgisJeff
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
kids drinking in college? what about all the little idiots drinking in high school and the little idiots parents that buy it for them.

Nidaros
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
kids drinking in college? what about all the little idiots drinking in high school and the little idiots parents that buy it for them.

Well it is a legalized drug and society paints a beautiful picture about consuming said beverages. Who at age 14 or 15 does not want to do grown up things?

mitchellrabbit
02-05-2011, 04:11 PM
kids drinking in college? what about all the little idiots drinking in high school and the little idiots parents that buy it for them.\

hey now, i was one of those little idiots drinking in high school back in the 70's. i was usually grounded for a couple weeks about every other month.

SturgisJeff
02-05-2011, 04:50 PM
\

hey now, i was one of those little idiots drinking in high school back in the 70's. i was usually grounded for a couple weeks about every other month.

I was one also but my parents didn't buy it for me. although my dad did let me drink one with dinner now and then to add weight to me for football. Tabor was real close and one bar didn't Id so it was easy to buy there and take it out.

mitchellrabbit
02-05-2011, 05:01 PM
I was one also but my parents didn't buy it for me. although my dad did let me drink one with dinner now and then to add weight to me for football. Tabor was real close and one bar didn't Id so it was easy to buy there and take it out.

my parents didnt buy for me either. i started drinking in a bar in gayville when i was 19. it was hard liquor and high point beer so i was suppose to be 21. for 2 yrs it was always the same bartender on fri and sat nights so i had no problem drinking there. you should have seen the expression on his face when i turned 21 and wanted a free drink, after drinking 2 yrs illegally.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
02-05-2011, 07:06 PM
IMO, 18 year olds (especially those in the military) should be allowed to drink. I also think DUI penalties should be much, much, much stiffer.

He broke the law on the books and was caught. Argue all you want that everybody does it in college. He broke the law, and he broke team/AD rules. That means there will be some consequences. The consequences will likely be appropriate.

NDSU seems to have a continual problem with this sort of thing. It points to poor leadership. If SDSU would have had as many legal problems with our football team in the last 5 years, I would absolutely have a problem with our leadership. If I was a parent of a high school player, I would have a hard time sending my kid up to that program to play college football. Maybe I'm just a prude.

I have no doubt that some/many/all football players at SDSU drink (although I have heard some very encouraging stories about SDSU stars and their personal habits). I also think the culture in the SDSU football program encourages kids to be more responsible with their drinking behavior. I've worked in companies that had a very party friendly atmosphere, and I've worked in companies where culture made partying with coworkers non-existent. Why would a football program be any different?

mgbison
02-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I have a question for Jackrabbit fans? If TOB got a MIP last month, what are the odds that TV would make a headline out of it?

We had some legal issues a couple years ago (best buy, 2 dui's and a player being dissmissed for a violation of team rules). If the only problems we are going to have to deal with is a couple players getting MIP's each year, who cares?

Its easy to blame leadership, but the bottom line is these are 18-21 year old kids and they are gonna do some dumb stuff from time to time. The coaches don't babysit them every weekend. Bohl has done a good job of getting rid of the players that caused issues and we've had 1 reported MIP since. I'd say his leadership has been great. The same can be said for UNI's head coach, he's had to deal with some issues and has done a good job of keeping it under control

jackmd
02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I have a question for Jackrabbit fans? If TOB got a MIP last month, what are the odds that TV would make a headline out of it?

We had some legal issues a couple years ago (best buy, 2 dui's and a player being dissmissed for a violation of team rules). If the only problems we are going to have to deal with is a couple players getting MIP's each year, who cares?

Its easy to blame leadership, but the bottom line is these are 18-21 year old kids and they are gonna do some dumb stuff from time to time. The coaches don't babysit them every weekend. Bohl has done a good job of getting rid of the players that caused issues and we've had 1 reported MIP since. I'd say his leadership has been great. The same can be said for UNI's head coach, he's had to deal with some issues and has done a good job of keeping it under control

I don't disagree. I don't think whining about it being reported in the paper is necessary either. The young man has to understand his position in society and accept the consequences of his actions both good and bad. This is an opportunity to improve himself and probably others.

To suggest its okay behavior because lots of people do it just doesn't make sense to me. The incident involving the USF players was not a first offense for one young man. He has had similar problems and his behavior was not properly penalized, in fact, its my understanding it was endorsed similar to what I'm reading from some posters here. I think that is unfortunate and somewhat telling of some of our societies current problems. Some may think I'm overreacting and perhaps I am.

EQguy
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
i was going to post something to this a few days ago. Basically I think if it were just a few MIP's a few years ago in Fargo these don't get reported. But because of the past recent history of the Bison program everything is a story. I'd bet there have been an MIP or two in the last few years among SDSU players but because nobody has been involved in anything major (DUI, theft, drugs) they go by unreported.

As far as MD thinking maybe he's overreacting I don't think you are. The problem is that there needs to be a penalty for the behavior, first offense or not. If something goes unpenalized it will continue to grow into a bigger problem. If a student athlete does what any other student does except he gets caught, there needs to be a consequence because they wear the school colors out in front of everyone.

Nidaros
02-06-2011, 02:09 PM

What is at issue big time in my mind is that both NDSU and SDSU hold their student athletes to higher standards. The reason they are held to higher standards is that boosters like you and I are helping pay for their educations through donations to the booster clubs. Would TV make a headline if a similar situation happened to TOB? I would hope he would. Mr. Jensen did not only hurt his own reputation and that of his family, but he also hurt the little boy that I see in the Bison Basketball commericals, you know the one that runs continuously on KVLY. Little boys have heros, often college student athletes. In this case this young boy prabably has a good understanding of what is going on, enough ask mom or dad about it.

SDSU might have an advantage in that they are located in a small community and for that reason it would be big news if the word got out that such a thing did happen and everyone would be geared to the Argus for the story. The image is not good for Bisonville, but you guys are tough, and will survive. You are not about to throw away a good QB so I think Mr. Jensen will have every opportunity to redeem himself. Its news for today and forgotten tomorrow.

Our coaches in the past and I am not sure they still do but the staff usually makes bar checks late at night during the season looking for someone who might have made a bad choice. In the FM area, its kind of tough for Coach Bohl and his staff to do these things, especially in off season. In Mr. Jensen case, I believe he was driving which really complicates the matter

mitchellrabbit
02-06-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't disagree. I don't think whining about it being reported in the paper is necessary either. The young man has to understand his position in society and accept the consequences of his actions both good and bad. This is an opportunity to improve himself and probably others.

To suggest its okay behavior because lots of people do it just doesn't make sense to me. The incident involving the USF players was not a first offense for one young man. He has had similar problems and his behavior was not properly penalized, in fact, its my understanding it was endorsed similar to what I'm reading from some posters here. I think that is unfortunate and somewhat telling of some of our societies current problems. Some may think I'm overreacting and perhaps I am.

I dont think its an okay behavior but its reality. It was that way in the 70's when i was a teen and it hasnt changed today. The only thing that has changed is that there are now 3 more age groups that have to run from the cops at parties. I never supplied alcohol to my kids but i wasnt dumb enough to think they werent going to do it on a sat night. You can preach to them but sometimes it goes in one ear and out the other. So are you suppose to lock them up in their room all through high school? You want a perfect world and its far from being one. Im glad my kids are past that stage of life.

jackmd
02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I dont think its an okay behavior but its reality. It was that way in the 70's when i was a teen and it hasnt changed today. The only thing that has changed is that there are now 3 more age groups that have to run from the cops at parties. I never supplied alcohol to my kids but i wasnt dumb enough to think they werent going to do it on a sat night. You can preach to them but sometimes it goes in one ear and out the other. So are you suppose to lock them up in their room all through high school? You want a perfect world and its far from being one. Im glad my kids are past that stage of life.

Nothing you said here isn't obvious to all of us. That still doesn't mean we should turn our heads and laugh it off as normal or harmless. Getting a MIP certainly isn't a badge of honor and the more you can expose the behavior the more likely you are to help some individual make a better decision. In my line of work its quite apparent that it isn't a perfect world but I'm not about to quit trying to make it a better world.

SoDakJack
02-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Alcohol should be taxed the same way that smoking is taxed. Add another 2-3% on every beer, bottle, or box (yep, that is how we drink our wine) and we will take care of this state's budget.

While we are at it. Make the drinking and driving laws simple - first offense is a DUI, the second offense you lose your ability to drive. Get caught again, and get a mandatory 5 year stay in the grey bar inn.

goon
02-07-2011, 09:20 AM
famous last words before 95% of people go into the ditch in Wisconsin, "hold my beer and watch this"

Thats on my unlces headstone.

NoVaJack
02-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Are you saying he would or wouldn't? Confused on the point.

RabbitObsessed
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Are you saying he would or wouldn't? Confused on the point.

I think he was asking.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
02-09-2011, 08:07 AM

With TOB and all the controversy/story lines that have revolved around him the last few seasons and going into next season, I think TV would write a story about it or at least a blog entry.

It wouldn't really matter though.

Everyone in Brookings would know about it as soon as its printed in the Brookings Register when he goes to court. I don't know what that section of the paper is called, but if you get anything more than a speeding ticket its printed in the Brookings Register. People scour that information religiously (I know from experience). Once its printed in the Register, everybody in Brookings would know about it. Once everybody in Brookings knows about it, it would take about a week for everybody in the state to hear about it.

That's my take.

thumper_76
02-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Really I don't care what the coaches mentality is college kids are going to drink. There will be the few that don't, but honestly they are going to do what they are going to do once they get to partys. We just make a huge deal about our rivals to the north because they are exactly that, our rivals (and we are a pretty tame bunch on this board IMHO). I mean Stig is one of the most adamant people I've ever met against underage drinking of his athletes, but we still have guys get minors. Remember yourself in college, if you were an athlete would you have abstained from alcohol when you were underage, honestly? I doubt that many people really really could have done that 100% of the time. They still are college kids, and I know they have more responsibilities being college athletes, but they have a ton of responsibilities just with weight lifting, practicing, and doing well in school, they need a place to relax and have a good time with friends sometime, some just get caught.

MaddogJack
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110213/SPORTS0204/102130334/-We-screwed-up-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

Some people simply shouldn't drink. I don't care if it is our athletes, our rival's athletes or USF athletes.

I know some look down on Stig's hard line stance on alcohol (which I strongly support myself.) Does that make us prudes? In some people's opinions - yes.

But my mother used to ask me - "Tell me the best thing that you've seen come from consuming alcohol and becoming intoxicated?" She was the daughter of an alcoholic and I carry those genes in my DNA (That after several years during and after college I imbibed alcohol). But I now have 4 young kids and I'll encourage them to abstain, but if they must experiment - do so responsibly. (Sorry - I don't mean to preach.)

RabbitObsessed
02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
But my mother used to ask me - "Tell me the best thing that you've seen come from consuming alcohol and becoming intoxicated?"

I somehow gain the magical ability to speak to females :cool:

slosho
02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I somehow gain the magical ability to speak to females :cool:

So what.. your saying your an engineer?

RabbitObsessed
02-14-2011, 11:39 PM
So what.. you're saying you're an engineer?

Fixed.

English major :p

filbert
02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Fixed.

English major :p
You missed fixing the ellipsis . . . which should arguably have been a question mark to be completely correct.

/engineering major . . .

:D;):p

slosho
02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
You missed fixing the ellipsis . . . which should arguably have been a question mark to be completely correct.

/engineering major . . .

:D;):p

I'm glad you caught that too...:D