Information Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Needed.

Since the family are now all official and whatnot, I am looking for some information.

1. I noticed there is a serious rivalry with SDSU and USD, can I get the history breakdown? [coming from Buckeye land, rivalries are right up our alley ]
    2. Are there any traditions that we should be aware of? We wouldn't want to come to our first game out of order, earning the ire of our new family.
    3. Where is the best place for post game fun?

Thanks in advance

Re: Information Needed.

This ought to be interesting.
    University of South Dakota:
    Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
      Go ahead and give your account yotemeal and then we will give her the true account.

And you are right this should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by FeistyRedheadAZ View Post
        Since the family are now all official and whatnot, I am looking for some information.

1. I noticed there is a serious rivalry with SDSU and USD, can I get the history breakdown? [coming from Buckeye land, rivalries are right up our alley ]
        2. Are there any traditions that we should be aware of? We wouldn't want to come to our first game out of order, earning the ire of our new family.
        3. Where is the best place for post game fun?

Thanks in advance
        1. It's nearly a hundred years old. Annual games involved the throwing of dead Coyotes(USD) or dead Jackrabbits onto the floor of basketball games. It took a six year hit when SDSU and NDSU jumped to D1 athletics and USD and UND laughed at us.....well....here we are now ahead of them as they decided to jump on coat tails and ride the path SDSU and NDSU helped pave for them (they of course will vehemently deny this). There is a hatred there, but we are glad that they joined us in the MVFC and the Summit conference. The Women Basketball team finally played again last year after 6 years and it drew 6000 people on a Thursday night. Which may not seem like much but we average around 3000 for Men's games currently. They are a good rival, but many of us prefer the newfound rivalry with NDSU a little bit more, because we partnered in each others endeavors to make D1 athletics a reality, so there's more respect there.

2. Cowbells used to ring like sunday morning church in Coughlin Alumni Stadium. Unfortunately the cowbells are gone, though many of us are growing a little tired of that rule and I think someone, sooner or later, is going to reopen that can of worms. So just bring a friendly attitude, stop by the Backyard and I'm sure someone will hook you up with some lovely beverages and food. Other than that, clap with the school song after every score and half. Clap for the Pride(the Band) at half time and you'll be fine. Don't insult the band, whatever you do don't insult the band!!!! Well not too loudly anyways, you'll get some stares...I don't know why, but you will.

3. Cubby's, Skinners, Jim's Tap, and 9....probably in that order. There's a few others, but I'm old and I don't like to stand too much.

I'm sure everyone else on here has some things to add as well.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
          Oh yeah and their message board is nearly non-existent and hard to find...just like Vermillion.

(well this might get moved into smack, but I accept the punishment...it was worth it)
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
            Go ahead and give your account yotemeal and then we will give her the true account.

And you are right this should be interesting.
            This is so us.
            University of South Dakota:
            Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              1. It's nearly a hundred years old. Annual games involved the throwing of dead Coyotes(USD) or dead Jackrabbits onto the floor of basketball games. It took a six year hit when SDSU and NDSU jumped to D1 athletics and USD and UND laughed at us.....well....here we are now ahead of them as they decided to jump on coat tails and ride the path SDSU and NDSU helped pave for them (they of course will vehemently deny this). There is a hatred there, but we are glad that they joined us in the MVFC and the Summit conference. The Women Basketball team finally played again last year after 6 years and it drew 6000 people on a Thursday night. Which may not seem like much but we average around 3000 for Men's games currently. They are a good rival, but many of us prefer the newfound rivalry with NDSU a little bit more, because we partnered in each others endeavors to make D1 athletics a reality, so there's more respect there.

2. Cowbells used to ring like sunday morning church in Coughlin Alumni Stadium. Unfortunately the cowbells are gone, though many of us are growing a little tired of that rule and I think someone, sooner or later, is going to reopen that can of worms. So just bring a friendly attitude, stop by the Backyard and I'm sure someone will hook you up with some lovely beverages and food. Other than that, clap with the school song after every score and half. Clap for the Pride(the Band) at half time and you'll be fine. Don't insult the band, whatever you do don't insult the band!!!! Well not too loudly anyways, you'll get some stares...I don't know why, but you will.

3. Cubby's, Skinners, Jim's Tap, and 9....probably in that order. There's a few others, but I'm old and I don't like to stand too much.

Thanks! I don't mind cowbells, just as long as noone has those annoying vuvuzelas LOL! Standing is not really my thing since I am vintage myself But Cubby's is mentioned a lot so we will give that a try.

Comment

MODS- Sorry I thought I posted this in the lounge, please feel free to move this. Mea culpa!

Comment

O'Hares is another fun little spot in Brookings.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

A little history:

SDSU played in one of the premier DII conferences (NCC) until 2004 when we moved to DI, along with NDSU & Northern Colorado. We helped form a new FCS conference named the Great West with 2 California schools (Cal Poly, UC-Davis) and Southern Utah. In 2008 we moved to the more stable and perennially strong Missouri Valley conference. Once we left the Great West, USD & UND followed our footsteps and moved up to DI and joined the Great West. The DII NCC conference suffered with the all the movement and has since disbanded.

SDSU was traditionally a basketball school, but since the move to DI, football has taken over as the more popular sport and attendance has steadily increased each season.

Tidbits
                    - We play NDSU in an annual trophy game called the Dakota Marker Trophy. SDSU had it the previous 3 years but NDSU regained the trophy this past season.

- DE Danny Batten, a Gilbert, AZ native, was drafted in the 6th round last season by the Bills

- Notable football alums

WR/TE Pete Retzlaff 56-66 - Eagles
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Retzlaff

C Jim Langer 70-81 - Dolphins, Vikings (HOF)
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Langer

G Adam Timmerman 95-06 - Packers, Rams
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Timmerman

K Adam Vinatieri 96-present - Patriots, Colts
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Vinatieri

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

Don't go to the 9, ever. Unless you like loud music and being crammed in like sardines and still not being able to hear the person next to you talk.

Comment

Thanks for all of the information guys!

Comment

Don't forget a slice of George's at the end of the night!

You may also want to make room reservations now if you need one. They can get pretty booked up on game weekends. Allegiant Airlines has non-stop flights from Phoenix to Sioux Falls also and they have some decent deals.

See you in the fall!

SUPERRBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Jim's tap if you like sitff drinks! Cubbys has pretty good food and is sport themed (and a more social/grown up bar)..

I would suggest a little research on Daktronics (www.daktronics.com) it's a very interesting company in town, and employs many college students, I worked there with a few football players over the summer when I was in school.

OH.. and you HAVE to try the SDSU ICE CREAM!!! and nick's burgers.

Comment

I cannot believe no one has mentioned Hobo Day -- perhaps the most unique college homecoming celebration in the USA. It is preceded by a total week full of distractions. It is billed as (and I think it's true) the largest one-day celebration in South Dakota. It starts with a parade that is not exactly 'traditional' (although much closer to a traditional parade in recent years with the banning of bum mobile homes), great tailgating and the football game with an over-capacity crowd. Most of the time the weather is perfect fall weather.

Comment

Working...
                              X