New Media Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Media Deal

SDSU and Learfield announce $13 Million deal.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports

Re: New Media Deal

I heard it was in the works last year. This is a huge deal for SDSU. Some might be surprised that SDSU got a bigger deal than UNI or SIU. But it's all about the market. SDSU has a pretty clear media market and is one of just two D1 programs in the state. UNI is the #3 intercollegiate athletics product (dollar-wise) in Iowa. SIU is well down the list in the southern Illinois/Missouri/Kentucky/Arkansas/Indiana region. If you just look at the numbers in South Dakota (things like existing corporate sponsorships) SDSU is pretty dominant.

Basically, Learfield assesses its potential revenues, agrees on a number and pays the school, then is betting they'll make more than that through sponsorships that it sets up. One of the advantages of a company like Learfield is that they have national tie-ins. SDSU can get Coca Cola ads, but Learfield can package several schools together and get other national advertisers. And having USD on the Learfield team will actually help them get those national dollars in both SDSU and USD broadcasts.

One question people might have relates to who picks, for example, the play-by-play people for games under the deal. I'm told that SDSU will have control over who the Voice of the Jackrabbits is.

This will free up some staff in athletics to do other things. For example, Jackrabbit Club can get a good bit more attention from the staff. The staff won't be tied up with corporate sponsorships or creating media deals. So you get a reliable money stream, and free up staff at the same time. TV's story says this might be one of the biggest things to happen to SDSU sports since we got into our conferences. I think he's right.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
      SDSU and Learfield announce $13 Million deal.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports
      This is a big deal. If our vice president would have said it a "big ?*^@*" deal. At a time when budget and staff maybe cut to land a deal like this is huge. Thank you Leon Costello. Having new eyes look at the way things are done is really paying off. Correct me if I am wrong and someone will! But, I think SDSU was actually paying our radio stations to broadcast our athletics? That was completely backwards. If true we not only cut that cost but generate $1.3 million each year. Plus, any bonus money generated after exceeding sales contracts.

Now, here is the biggest surprise of them all! USD has began negotiations with Learfield as well. Gomer would say surprise, surprise, surprise.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
        This is a big deal. If our vice president would have said it a "big ?*^@*" deal. At a time when budget and staff maybe cut to land a deal like this is huge. Thank you Leon Costello. Having new eyes look at the way things are done is really paying off. Correct me if I am wrong and someone will! But, I think SDSU was actually paying our radio stations to broadcast our athletics? That was completely backwards. If true we not only cut that cost but generate $1.3 million each year. Plus, any bonus money generated after exceeding sales contracts.

Now, here is the biggest surprise of them all! USD has began negotiations with Learfield as well. Gomer would say surprise, surprise, surprise.

GBGBGJ
        I think its fair to point out that paying WNAX gave SDSU exclusive rights to sell all the advertizing on WNAX during the Athletic events cover
        ed. So we paid out to take money in and I think the cash flow was positive, but will no doubt be much better under this new firm. I can't imagine Learfield not looking at our current contracts and making recommendations. Getting more radio afflilations seems like a something that is long overdue, because the staff may not have had time to go and sign small radio stations up.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 01-31-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I've been suggesting Learfield or some similar national media company for quite a while (first reference I found on this board is 2006 . . . ) so I'm a happy Rabbit this morning . . .

Interesting tidbit late in the article is that Learfield approached Sell after he got the SDSU job . . .

Here's the press release on Learfield's site about the agreement.

Learfield Sports' client portfolio has lots and lots of very, very recognizable names in it . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This means we're likely to hear going into commercial on WNAX: "You're listening to Jackrabbit football, presented by Learfield Sports."

The University of Minnesota and WCCO work through Learfield and I think it's a very good partnership, but I think advertisers would come knocking on Minnesota's door either way. SDSU should benefit from this a lot more than the Gophers.

*I've always thought that SDSU has done a great job of attaining the sponsors that they have, which are really some big names.

This is without question, a great deal for SDSU. Learfield is a group that knows what it is doing and should help SDSU in the long run. If anyone wants proof of what Division I growth looks like, this is it.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              I've been suggesting Learfield or some similar national media company for quite a while (first reference I found on this board is 2006 . . . ) so I'm a happy Rabbit this morning . . .

Interesting tidbit late in the article is that Learfield approached Sell after he got the SDSU job . . .

Here's the press release on Learfield's site about the agreement.

Learfield Sports' client portfolio has lots and lots of very, very recognizable names in it . . .
              It is typical for most D1 major and good mid-major programs to work with a marketing company like Learfield, IMG (ISP), or CBS Sports. This is win-win situation for both SDSU and Learfield.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Expect anything that can be sold, will be sold as advertising inventory. That's the price we will pay as spectators, but I think it is worth it.

Comment

One last thought/question from me. Does NDSU have a marketing agreement? And if so, what are the terms?

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post

GBGBGJ

You didn't hear? USD just announced a $13,000,001 agreement with Learfield.

Actually, I don't see it possible for them to get that much. I guess we will find out in the near future.

Comment

A little off track,but do we start getting our share of the Summit League payouts this year also?

Comment

Great step for SDSU! Also, the USD-Learfield contract was put on hold with the change of AD there. I actually thought USD would have their contract first as they have been talking since just before the Culhane contract expired.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                          Great step for SDSU! Also, the USD-Learfield contract was put on hold with the change of AD there. I actually thought USD would have their contract first as they have been talking since just before the Culhane contract expired.
                          Being friends with the Culhane's and most of the guys at WNAX I have been waiting to hear about this from both programs. There has been a fair amount of angst regarding the direction of media coverage for both SDSU and USD with local radio stations. I'm still interested in watching how this all plays out.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A little off track,but do we start getting our share of the Summit League payouts this year also?

The FY 10 Athletic report has $219,731 coming from NCAA/Conference.

Not broken down.

Comment

Another article detailing the deal. Out of London and written by Rahul Bhatt. Thought these facts (if accurate) were interesting. Rivals of the Pitt Panthers, I like that idea.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/s...utm_medium=rss

The partnership inked between Learfield and SDSU is reportedly more lucrative than other deals penned by Division I rivals including the Pittsburgh Panthers, who agreed a ten-year deal with Learfield worth US$9.5 million and the Southern Illinois Salukis, whose partnership with Learfield was valued at US$5 million over a seven-year period.

The agreement end SDSU’s own handling of its corporate sales and media rights, which reached a value of US$1 million. SDSU, who were elevated to the NCCA Division I in 2004, have reportedly been brokering the deal for several years.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X