Northern Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Colorado

SDSU hosts Northern Colorado tonight. (I got the right team this week, I promise.)

The Collegian is hosting a live blog tonight:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/sports/...thern-colorado

Re: Northern Colorado

They skip the first two matches and go to 141

Northern Colorado records a major decision and a pin at 141 and 149.

10-0 UNC.

Comment

Michaud with a big pin at 174 to cut the Bears lead to 14-9.

Comment

A trade of forfeits at 125 and 133 leaves SDSU five points short.

Final score: Northern Colorado 26, SDSU 21

Comment

Jacks held a 21-20 lead due to two forfeits, but we forfeited 133 class and the Da Bears win 26
          to 21.

Comment

I'm not as up on wrestling as I should be. Why all the forfeits?
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Mostly they can not make their weight class. Just my guess but with Coach Liles in a rebuilding mode, there could be other reasons. Maybe MinnJack can add here. I can see problems with the traveling team and I suspect a swing through Fargo is on the agenda, and maybe the UNC Coach who is the son of Bucky Maugm might have saved those two guys for that match.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Forfeits come at this time of the season mostly because you don't have a wrestler on the squad at that level, who is not injured and unable to compete. Not making weight can happen but it is more unlikely as the reason.

SDSU had to move Nick Flynn up a weight, a 174-pounder up to wrestle at 187, and another 174-pounder up to wrestle at 197 (Cord Willers in this case and he did a hell of a job keeping from getting pinned). I'm not sure why UNC's heavyweight was a forfeit, but that was an unexpected gift. We lost the match partially because we lost the flip at the beginning of the match which required us to report our wrestler first.

The score was 20-15 UNC after the heavyweight forfeit. Both UNC and SDSU had 125-pounders and both teams were void at 133. When Aaron Pickrel reported for the 125-pound match (the evening started, by draw, at 141-pounds), UNC forfeited and moved there 125-pounder to 133. So we went up 21-20 and they then won 26-21. Had they reported first at 125 and had Pickrel been able to get a pin (which he was capable of doing), we would have won 21-20 as both teams would have not had a 133-pounder.

SDSU has been decimated with injuries, and since a large share of our new recruits are either injured or on redshirts, it has been and will continue to be a tough season. But I believe, like the men's BB team, the program may turn the corner next year. GO JACKS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Forfeits come at this time of the season mostly because you don't have a wrestler on the squad at that level, who is not injured and unable to compete. Not making weight can happen but it is more unlikely as the reason.

SDSU had to move Nick Flynn up a weight, a 174-pounder up to wrestle at 187, and another 174-pounder up to wrestle at 197 (Cord Willers in this case and he did a hell of a job keeping from getting pinned). I'm not sure why UNC's heavyweight was a forfeit, but that was an unexpected gift. We lost the match partially because we lost the flip at the beginning of the match which required us to report our wrestler first.

The score was 20-15 UNC after the heavyweight forfeit. Both UNC and SDSU had 125-pounders and both teams were void at 133. When Aaron Pickrel reported for the 125-pound match (the evening started, by draw, at 141-pounds), UNC forfeited and moved there 125-pounder to 133. So we went up 21-20 and they then won 26-21. Had they reported first at 125 and had Pickrel been able to get a pin (which he was capable of doing), we would have won 21-20 as both teams would have not had a 133-pounder.

SDSU has been decimated with injuries, and since a large share of our new recruits are either injured or on redshirts, it has been and will continue to be a tough season. But I believe, like the men's BB team, the program may turn the corner next year. GO JACKS!!
                  Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thanks. I was going to write this same question that JJ asked but my phone's internet wasn't working properly last night. Would this be considered a coaching mistake by Liles?
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

There are so many freshman on this team and they are just going to take time. Wrestling has the hardest time at SDSU because they aren't fully funded and attendance, sadly, hasn't been great but that will be the case when the program is down.

Flynn wrestled his tail off and Michaud picked up that big pin to pull it close. Jacks#1Fan hit it on the head about Willers; he wrestled his rear off to save points SDSU even though he got moved up a class.

UNC had a freshman who could have wrestled 285 against Kelly, but didn't put him out there. It was too bad Pickrel couldn't wrestle and UNC's 133 guy is pretty good.

I'm fairly new to college wrestling to be honest. Does anyone out there know why there isn't a weight class between 197 and 285? That just seems like a big desparity.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        Thanks. I was going to write this same question that JJ asked but my phone's internet wasn't working properly last night. Would this be considered a coaching mistake by Liles?
                        No, because we lost the flip, Liles had to report first on who would wrestle at a weight, giving the other coach the option, and since he knew we did not weigh-in a 133-pounder, he did the smart thing. The only way we could have won was to have them put the 125-pounder on the mat with Aaron Pickrel, and have Aaron pin his opponent. If we had reported that we were vacant at 125, they would have just gone ahead with the 6 point forfeit for their 125 pounder. And of course, the pre-match draw that started the matches at 141-pounds played perfectly to UNC's move.

Comment

Wrestling dual matches have some elements of chess and poker.

Comment

No, because we lost the flip, Liles had to report first on who would wrestle at a weight, giving the other coach the option, and since he knew we did not weigh-in a 133-pounder, he did the smart thing. The only way we could have won was to have them put the 125-pounder on the mat with Aaron Pickrel, and have Aaron pin his opponent. If we had reported that we were vacant at 125, they would have just gone ahead with the 6 point forfeit for their 125 pounder. And of course, the pre-match draw that started the matches at 141-pounds played perfectly to UNC's move.
                            Thanks. I know nothing about wrestling and haven't ever been to a match on any level. Might have to sometime in the future.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Wrestling dual matches have some elements of chess and poker.
                              I kind of understand you want to win the dual, but don't you also want to get your guys some matches to wrestle. Are not you doing a disservice to your wrestlers by not allowing them to wrestle?

Comment

Working...
                              X