• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCrory Gardens addition

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...NEWS/101130319

SDSU's McCrory Gardens getting $4.2M privately funded upgrade

Cody Winchester • cwincheste@argusleader.com • January 13, 2011

Construction has begun on a $4.2 million educational and visitor center at South Dakota State University's McCrory Gardens.

The green facility will be an entry point for visitors to the garden and a much-needed venue for larger events at the university, said Martin Maca, associate director at the gardens. Improvements should encourage thousands of new visitors to the site.

The 9,350-square-foot building is anchoring a multiyear master plan to upgrade McCrory Gardens, which opened in the early 1960s in Brookings and has grown to include 30 acres of floral botanical gardens and a 45-acre arboretum. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: McCrory Gardens addition

Wonder if we'll hear people bitching about money going to something other than classrooms or education?

Sounds like a great addition to the gardens.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
      Wonder if we'll hear people bitching about money going to something other than classrooms or education?

Sounds like a great addition to the gardens.
      No bitching from me, I see this is a big addition to campus, something needed for a long time, people who visit do not need to go to Pizza Ranch or Burger King to use the restroom.
      Hows that for a starter?

One other thing on campus that is unrelated to classrooms is the Ag Museum. I know the curator of the museum and he does wonders considering the budget and facility. So there are a number of giving opportunities unrelated to classrooms to put your funds towards. Of course Justin Sells is hoping it will all come his way.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Excellent news. This will be a great addition to Brookings and the campus.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Did I hear this will be the new main entrance/gateway into campus?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            McCrory Gardens has been the 1st part of the SDSU "Campus" found coming into Brookings on US 14/6th St since it opened. It's about time that this fine prairie garden had a visitor center, so that visitors can use a restroom while visiting, maybe see where the various plants and the multitude of donations that have been made.

My NY City Sister-in-Law is donating a bench for my brother, which is great recognition of his love for SDSU/McCrory Garden and family.

No family left in Brookings, or SD, but our roots reach deep, and McCrory Garden is a great place to sink those roots further.

Comment

I don't think so. Looks like you will enter the Education and Visitor Center across from the Wal-Mart.

Comment

I think this building will become the entrance to the gardens, but it will also be a nice addition to campus in general especially because it lies right on or close to 6th Street and hence is the first visible part of campus from that main drag.
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  No bitching from me, I see this is a big addition to campus, something needed for a long time, people who visit do not need to go to Pizza Ranch or Burger King to use the restroom.
                  Hows that for a starter?

One other thing on campus that is unrelated to classrooms is the Ag Museum. I know the curator of the museum and he does wonders considering the budget and facility. So there are a number of giving opportunities unrelated to classrooms to put your funds towards. Of course Justin Sells is hoping it will all come his way.
                  My comment was tongue in cheek. I think its a great addition to the campus but I fully expect to hear those people bitching because the money isn't spent on "education"
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Nope. 13th Avenue is the current and future gateway. They have some plans to fix that entrance up and, long-term, to eliminate Rotunda Lane entirely.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Looks like a fantastic addition to McCrory!

I'm excited to check out the completed project.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                      X