New Members/Spammers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Members/Spammers

I'm seeing lots of new member names that are suspicious for spammers or worse. I assume admin is aware but wanted to see if others have noticed as well.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: New Members/Spammers

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I'm seeing lots of new member names that are suspicious for spammers or worse. I assume admin is aware but wanted to see if others have noticed as well.
    I wonder because they seem odd names to me but never see them post ever, so I am sure either spammer or shy guy.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Is this a new Member or Spam

lissasverdlova
      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        I wonder because they seem odd names to me but never see them post ever, so I am sure either spammer or shy guy.
        If the name seems odd, its almost certainly a spammer.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          If the name seems odd, its almost certainly a spammer.
          What about my name?

Comment

Interesting you've noted the increase in spammers trying to get on the board. The moderators have noticed a spike in signups from obvious spammers.

Comment

Here's what's going on behind the scenes and some of the safeguards built into the software to try to discourage spammers:

The software requires the applicant to type in a combination of letters and numbers that are in odd and uneven typefaces -- you've seen that before. That's the first line of defense against computers mechanically signing up for sites. So, if a human is signing up (some kid in a poor country getting paid $0.10 per hour to try to get on websites in America), they can get past that page. The next hurdle is all applications have to be approved by a moderator. Moderators have access to a special page which lists the applicants who made it past the first hurdle. We look for several things and decide whether to approve or block the application.

I first check the IP address used by the applicant. If it's from Latvia, Russia, China, Thailand, etc., I make a decision that its unlikely the applicant is a Jackrabbit fan and I block the applicant. I also look at the applicant's name but the IP address is usually quite conclusive. Sometimes I go to a second site where I can check not only the location of the IP address but I can also search the frequency the applicant's IP address, name and e-mail address are being used to apply to other message boards.

Other moderators may do something a little different but we get at the same point: blocking spammers and suspicious applicants.

For a couple of days over Christmas, the applications were way down. In the past few days, however, the applications have jumped considerably. I spent more than an hour late last night (one eye on the TV) going through 27 applications -- most I've seen as a moderator in one day -- and all but a few were the bad guys. The site I use (its free) to check IP addresses only permits one to check 20 IP addresses and then it "times-out" for a day so I had to go to an alternative site.

Usually its a 5-10 minute job every day. Yesterday (and today) were unusual but there does seem to be a trend of more spammers attempting to get on the board to sell cheap drugs, tennis shoes and financial services.

The software permits the moderators to block an IP address and e-mail address and we do that. For example, if the following IP address is used by the applicant: 60.28.216.14, that will lead to a specific city in China. When we block the IP address, we'll typically use a wildcard to expand the block. So, 60.28.* may be listed in an attempt to block an entire region. We're trying to stop the applicant, his 10 friends and 21 cousins.

What happens if an IP address is blocked but there is a legitimate applicant who is affected? That's happened. One nasty who got on the board for a short while, got the boot and the IP address from which he applied, was blocked. It later turned out the IP address was for a hotel in Sioux Falls and a moderator who's name shall go unmentioned (but his initials are "filbert") was blocked from accessing the board while staying at the hotel for the Summit League Tourney! If my memory is accurate, filbert when to a different site, signed on and unblocked the IP address at his hotel.

One guy who was booted from the board was posting from multiple IP addresses over in Minnesota and elsewhere. His signup IP address was blocked. Weeks later the moderators received a message from what we suspect is the bum's co-worker or his supervisor at work, a legitimate guy who wanted to join the board. We unblocked the IP address and just decided to let that one play out -- we didn't rat out the employee but we haven't forgotten him, either (just in case he decides to assault the board, we'll see what his employer thinks of some of the crud he's sent to us from their computer).

If a person applies and is blocked, then can send e-mail and protest which would cause the moderators to investigate further and decide if the person should be waived in. That has RARELY happened.

So, you may see new applicant's names appear but they are not getting through.

Darned spammers are a real pain in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                What about my name?
                Chad is not that odd of a name, butta bing.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

the active members list is growing at a good pace, still guessing its spammers.

Comment

I've not seen a spam attack (multiple threads of ads) in over a year. Apparently the mods required approval prior to being able to post is working well at keeping spam off the board.

Silent members can be very normal.

Active, passionate members who are "reasonable" are always welcome, whether a Jacks fan, or a reasonable "other" school (opponent) fan.

Comment

I just whacked a bunch of "new users" (mainly from Asia and E. Europe, with user names like dsfhdowkd and stuff like that), and banned a metric boatload of ip addresses. I did approve two actual real live-person users, though . . .

-filbert

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        the active members list is growing at a good pace, still guessing its spammers.
                        If you believe there spammers on the board, let the moderators know so we can address it. It's extremely unlikely "active members" includes any spammers. Spammers have a difficult time getting past the singup and approval process.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          If you believe there spammers on the board, let the moderators know so we can address it. It's extremely unlikely "active members" includes any spammers. Spammers have a difficult time getting past the singup and approval process.
                          What's the definition of an 'active member'?
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            I was just going by the number of active members in the stats section at the bottom. Ususally it hovered around 280 but its up to 320ish in whiched seemed like a short amount of time. Thats why I wasn't sure because some names are not that obvious for knowing its a new shy guy who created an account who just dont post or if its something else. as long as its new people joining, thats surely a good thing.

Comment

The first page statistics terminology is "active users" which is a combination of Members and Guests who are viewing the board at that time.

Goon had used the words "active members" when that's actually the "active users" number he was looking at. Ideally, we have no members who are spammers. Once in a while a spammer gets through but not often.

Lately, there's been a lots of spammers attempting to get through for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X