Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much better is the Summit than the Independents(Great West)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much better is the Summit than the Independents(Great West)?

I was looking at USD's matchup against Wyoming and they were talking about how USD always finishes with a winning record. I know USD was a better team last year than this year but I looked at their schedule.
    In the pre-conference(?) schedule they have some really tough games- Nebraska, Marquette and Wisconsin. They also have some patsies- SD School of Mines, Canisius, Tabor, Midland and Doane. SDSU never scheduled that many patsies but SDSU struggled thru transition. If you look at both teams records maybe USD has the better way to schedule. Plus, USD had Cain and some other studs.
    The Summit League have a combined record of 30-31. The Independents(Great West) have a combined record of 27-62. They do have New Orleans with a 3-2 record to be the only school above .500. It will look even better next year when Centenary(0-7) and Southern Utah(2-4) leave and USD(2-4) comes in. USD will have a better record by the end of this year but next year they won't be able to schedule 5 non-DI teams. Hopefully they can still schedule teams like Houston Baptist(0-6), Savannah St.(1-7), SIU Edwardsville(1-6), NJIT(1-3), TX Pan Am(2-6) and Chicago St(2-5) so their record will help the Summit league.
    P.S. I do think USD will be better next year than this year but I don't think that will put them in the top half of the Summit.

Re: How much better is the Summit than the Independents(Great West)?

Certainly not going to brag up our schedule strength, but did want to point out that Canisius is a member of the MAAC and currently #166 in the Sagarin. A good test as well as home game.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I was looking at USD's matchup against Wyoming and they were talking about how USD always finishes with a winning record. I know USD was a better team last year than this year but I looked at their schedule.
      In the pre-conference(?) schedule they have some really tough games- Nebraska, Marquette and Wisconsin. They also have some patsies- SD School of Mines, Canisius, Tabor, Midland and Doane. t.

I thought Tabor and Midland closed their high schools years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        In the pre-conference(?) schedule they have some really tough games- Nebraska, Marquette and Wisconsin. They also have some patsies- SD School of Mines, Canisius, Tabor, Midland and Doane. SDSU never scheduled that many patsies but SDSU struggled thru transition. If you look at both teams records maybe USD has the better way to schedule. Plus, USD had Cain and some other studs.
        The Summit League have a combined record of 30-31. The Independents(Great West) have a combined record of 27-62. They do have New Orleans with a 3-2 record to be the only school above .500. It will look even better next year when Centenary(0-7) and Southern Utah(2-4) leave and USD(2-4) comes in. USD will have a better record by the end of this year but next year they won't be able to schedule 5 non-DI teams. Hopefully they can still schedule teams like Houston Baptist(0-6), Savannah St.(1-7), SIU Edwardsville(1-6), NJIT(1-3), TX Pan Am(2-6) and Chicago St(2-5) so their record will help the Summit league.
        P.S. I do think USD will be better next year than this year but I don't think that will put them in the top half of the Summit.
        USD, has a long way to go this year, They have some good talent, but just need to put it all together. Honestly though I wouldn't mind seeing them struggle a little once they join the summit. but not bad enough they don't make the tourny. like a 7 or 8 seed would be just fine by me. They are full D-1 next year correct? I have been trying to follow USD scores, and it seems they have a lot of in consistancy scoring, Must be a SD thing to have a lot of good shooting guards and young skinny post players, sounds a lot like SDSU team, except we are winning most of our games this year.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          USD, has a long way to go this year, They have some good talent, but just need to put it all together. Honestly though I wouldn't mind seeing them struggle a little once they join the summit. but not bad enough they don't make the tourny. like a 7 or 8 seed would be just fine by me. They are full D-1 next year correct? I have been trying to follow USD scores, and it seems they have a lot of in consistancy scoring, Must be a SD thing to have a lot of good shooting guards and young skinny post players, sounds a lot like SDSU team, except we are winning most of our games this year.
          USD does seem to have good shooters, but they are pretty undersized. USD has 5 players on their roster at or under 6'2", and I think all play decent minutes. SDSU has 2 (Stephenson and Tivis) and NDSU has 4 (Lundberg, Zastrow, Hale, and Newell) for comparison, basically 4 of the 6 on xDSU rosters don't see significant minutes. Size isn't everything, but when 4 of your top 6 minutes guys are under 6-2 (USD), it gets tougher to rebound, defend, and win at the DI level. I would guess they are definitely good enough to be at least a 7 or 8 seed.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            USD does seem to have good shooters, but they are pretty undersized. USD has 5 players on their roster at or under 6'2", and I think all play decent minutes. SDSU has 2 (Stephenson and Tivis) and NDSU has 4 (Lundberg, Zastrow, Hale, and Newell) for comparison, basically 4 of the 6 on xDSU rosters don't see significant minutes. Size isn't everything, but when 4 of your top 6 minutes guys are under 6-2 (USD), it gets tougher to rebound, defend, and win at the DI level. I would guess they are definitely good enough to be at least a 7 or 8 seed.
            Do, they still play a zone? That can really hurt against teams in the summit who can break zones and hit 3s. Being a little to slow and short playing a zone is killer. Some times I think we have the length to play zone to help out alittle more, but not atheltic enough to pull it off alot. Just as a good wrinkle or change of pace.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Do, they still play a zone? That can really hurt against teams in the summit who can break zones and hit 3s. Being a little to slow and short playing a zone is killer. Some times I think we have the length to play zone to help out alittle more, but not atheltic enough to pull it off alot. Just as a good wrinkle or change of pace.
              Yes they still play a zone. When I saw them over Christmas break they had a 6'6" ish player playing on top of the zone and his size created some problems for the opponent on the perimeter.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                I thought Tabor and Midland closed their high schools years ago.
                We are talking SD high schools or the actual colleges?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  Yes they still play a zone. When I saw them over Christmas break they had a 6'6" ish player playing on top of the zone and his size created some problems for the opponent on the perimeter.
                  I know, its burned them before againt good shooting teams. If you paid attention, how did grius look?

Comment

I know, its burned them before againt good shooting teams. If you paid attention, how did grius look?
                    He looked damn good. He wasn't super polished, obviously, but he has a nice frame and I was surprised by how athletic he was. He had a put back dunk on a missed three pointer where he came from the perimeter to make the play. He had a couple nice post moves, but I was more impressed with his rebounding. I think he'll be a very impressive player for USD. They definitely need more depth and size though.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

USD, has a long way to go this year, They have some good talent, but just need to put it all together. Honestly though I wouldn't mind seeing them struggle a little once they join the summit. but not bad enough they don't make the tourny. like a 7 or 8 seed would be just fine by me. They are full D-1 next year correct?
                      I believe USD will not be fully D-1 until the 2012-13 year. They will be joining the Summit League next fall, but I believe that their basketball teams will be able to win the conference championships in 2011-12, but not compete in the league tourney. Correct me, somebody, if that is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        I believe USD will not be fully D-1 until the 2012-13 year. They will be joining the Summit League next fall, but I believe that their basketball teams will be able to win the conference championships in 2011-12, but not compete in the league tourney. Correct me, somebody, if that is wrong.
                        It was hard enough following SDSU through the transition, so it confuses me a bit with following USD. I couldn't remember if they could make the tourny the first year or not. Either way, I look forward to the summit league tourny with USD there, could be some huge crowds for most every session.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          He looked damn good. He wasn't super polished, obviously, but he has a nice frame and I was surprised by how athletic he was. He had a put back dunk on a missed three pointer where he came from the perimeter to make the play. He had a couple nice post moves, but I was more impressed with his rebounding. I think he'll be a very impressive player for USD. They definitely need more depth and size though.
                          Not gonna lie, I am a little disapointed it didnt work out to get the 3 grius, and the lowa boys. He would have been a piece of the cog that we are missing. even if only a few points and few rebounds agame, athletic height inside is what we miss, oh well, not much to do about it now. I am glad he is doing well, just stinks its at USD IMO.

Comment

_

About that ^ much better.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Not gonna lie, I am a little disapointed it didnt work out to get the 3 grius, and the lowa boys. He would have been a piece of the cog that we are missing. even if only a few points and few rebounds agame, athletic height inside is what we miss, oh well, not much to do about it now. I am glad he is doing well, just stinks its at USD IMO.
                              In talking to our coaches there was not option to get all 3 when offers first went out. Wasn't going to work with the scholarships available and the direction they wanted. Gruis was offered initially and then that offer was rescinded. Now, I think that all occurred before the defections and the end of last year and had Nagy known about that Gruis might be a Jackrabbit.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X