Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the Year - Coach Stig

Felt like this needed its own thread.

Some insightful comments from the Coach. I think a lot of us sensed there were some issues with effort. Stig admitted the fault falls on everyone, players, coaches, teammates...

Nonetheless, coach John Stiegelmeier believes there were issues that went beyond a handful of key injuries and a brutal schedule that included five postseason qualifiers.

"(Lack of) maturity, turnovers killed us and along the way we had a very small percentage of guys that we need, but were never in - never totally committed," he said. "And in football, a pretty fickle game, you better have all the guys there."

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...18/1002/sports
    Last edited by jackmd; 11-26-2010, 09:45 AM.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: End of the Year - Coach Stig

TV with some comments from his blog.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

QB commentary:

The $25,000 question: What will SDSU do at quarterback next year? Thomas O'Brien has started 17 games through his sophomore season. He's unbeaten when he doesn't turn the ball over (8-0), but has been prone to multiple turnover games. True freshman Austin Sumner is highly touted.
    "Thomas goes into spring ball as the No. 1 guy and Jordan Thomas and Austin Sumner will battle," Stiegelmeier said. "In college football, you don't have favorites, you don't worry about how parents feel. You have to put the best guy on the field and Thomas wants to be the best guy. He's worked hard. He went through his third (quarterbacks) coach this year with Coach (Eric) Eidsness. So as they get to know each other, I also expect him to get better, he expects to do better.
    "We have to eliminate the turnovers."
    And how did the 6-foot-5 Sumner look during his redshirt year?
    "Austin did very well. He looks to have great potential. That is always a mystery to me. ... When spring ball comes it gets a lot tougher. The neat thing about Austin, the thing I observed early, is his ability to handle different things. He's very even keel and when it's his time he'll be hard to shake, hard to rattle."
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

That was a good read.

I find it refreshing how Stig is willing to put the shortcomings out there like that. Its also disappointing that there was a lack of commitment by some. The past is behind us. Time to learn from it and move on. To not do that would be a shame.

Who will the QB, or any position be for that matter, when we start the season next year? Who knows? I trust the coaches to make the right decisions. My bet is that the team has a really strong off-season and will come back hungry to improve next fall.

This had to be a very trying year for the coaching staff.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

Some insightful comments from the Coach. I think a lot of us sensed there were some issues with effort. Stig admitted the fault falls on everyone, players, coaches, teammates...

Nonetheless, coach John Stiegelmeier believes there were issues that went beyond a handful of key injuries and a brutal schedule that included five postseason qualifiers.

"(Lack of) maturity, turnovers killed us and along the way we had a very small percentage of guys that we need, but were never in - never totally committed," he said. "And in football, a pretty fickle game, you better have all the guys there."

Nice Coach didn't name any specific for this article and is going to talk to all the players individually. Instead of mentioning it in a meeting and the players he's addressing are thinking he isn't talking about them.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I think a lot of us fans noticed something was different this year. Seemed like the ISU red game was what I would point to as the biggest issue. Besides lack of execution of plays, the mental mistakes and penatlies that are not traditionally SDSU showed up, along with a what seemed to be a lack of effort. It was a good ISU red team, not a great one, no reason we should have lost other then we beat and gave up on our selves.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

As you mentioned on the Argus site, this team didn't have that never say die attitude that we had when we were the underdog in the transition. We seemed to have players that would never say never and make the amazing happen at the end of the game.

Comment

I can't say I was shocked to read this today. Minett had stated it a couple of times before this. But if you were to watch Jacks football games for the past several years and then not watch a single game this year and read this...you would really scratch your head and wonder if this is the same Jacks football team you've watched the last few years.

That has to be an interesting, uncomfortable conversation sitting down with coaches and having them look a player straight in the eye and say "you were doggin' it this year, wtf is up with that? Get your sh*t together, or get out."

It may become more apparent who these specific players were after the spring game and then especially when the roster comes out after fall camp. Because I do think at least one player will take the "get out" option.

Unfortunate, really unfortunate, for the team, the school and its fans. But it's good to see the statement about this is not a business of making friends, it's about winning football games.

Comment

I think we all read the Minett story last week in which it was referenced that some people on the team didn't share Kyle's attitude. I assume they are the members of the less-than-100-percent club. Poor form. The defensive backfield and quarterback situations have to be solved during the offseason. I think Kool will step in at running back. He might not be Minett, but I think he'll be pretty salty. I know this is harboring an old grudge, but it's nice that the coaching staff took some of the blame, too. This team was not prepared for a few games this year. And Stig's comments after last season's Montana were simply unacceptable...and remain so.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  I think we all read the Minett story last week in which it was referenced that some people on the team didn't share Kyle's attitude. I assume they are the members of the less-than-100-percent club. Poor form.
                  When I read the article discussing Minett's straight forward approach, I can see why some players didn't like his way of dealing with things. He probably pointed it out to specific players. But you know what, I have no problem with it. The players can see who isn't giving their all so why not have a players only meeting and call them out. I do hope the players take the criticism as a positive from the coach and work on the items pointed out to them.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

Translation: Get ready for a nut cutting off-season, boys.

Comment

I don't know why anyone is shocked by those comments. The football team has what around 90 guys on the squad. Anybody who has been apart of any team knows that there is always a guy who either cares about other things, is out there for the wrong reasons, or whatever reason but just doesn't give 100%. And the thing is you usually don't hear about it when the teams are doing good.

I think there were 3 major issues.
                      1 was the receiving corp, no experience prior to this year other then Rollin, the rest had done very little in the form of receiver. And you could tell that they just weren't on the same page as the QB. now you can blame that on the QB, or the receivers or whoever. But that is something that is learned with in game action, when to break routes off, when to come back to the ball, etc.

2. was the game calling, I'm sick and tired of 3 yard outs when you need 5 yards on 3rd down. the qb roll outs to his back side, how many illegal formations? Its quite simple 7 men on the line, only 1 in motion at a time. Minett, Minett, Minett, Duffy. I'm not a great football mind, but why do it that way, why not do more twin backs, why not shuffle them in for different packages, line one up in the slot from time to time, just seemed way too predictable.

3. was the scheduling, I'm all for tough scheduling, I hate when a team puts all cup-cakes in the non-conference. But you can't go out to Delaware for your first game, even if Deleware was horrible, you don't want your team to have to go that far away for the opener. You can't put your FBS game in the middle of conference games and you don't put your cupcake last. Now I know that some of the schedule was made years before, and the UND game was added because it had to be but the athletics department needs to figure things out better to give the team the best chance to win.
                      Last edited by joeboo22; 11-29-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I don't know why anyone is shocked by those comments. The football team has what around 90 guys on the squad. Anybody who has been apart of any team knows that there is always a guy who either cares about other things, is out there for the wrong reasons, or whatever reason but just doesn't give 100%. And the thing is you usually don't hear about it when the teams are doing good.

I think there were 3 major issues.
                        1 was the receiving corp, other then Rollin, the rest had done very little in the form of receiver. And you could tell that they just weren't on the same page as the QB. now you can blame that on the QB, or the receivers or whoever. But that is something that is learned with in game action, when to break routes off, when to come back to the ball, etc.

2. was the game calling, I'm sick and tired of 3 yard outs when you need 5 yards on 3rd down. the qb roll outs to his back side, how many illegal formations? Its quite simple 7 men on the line, only 1 in motion at a time. Minett, Minett, Minett, Duffy. I'm not a great football mind, but why do it that way, why not do more twin backs, why not shuffle them in for different packages, line one up in the slot from time to time, just seemed way too predictable.

3. was the scheduling, I'm all for tough scheduling, I hate when a team puts all cup-cakes in the non-conference. But you can't go out to Delaware for your first game, even if Deleware was horrible, you don't want your team to have to go that far away for the opener. You can't put your FBS game in the middle of conference games and you don't put your cupcake last. Now I know that some of the schedule was made years before, and the UND game was added because it had to be but the athletics department needs to figure things out better to give the team the best chance to win.
                        Kool didn't do anything at WR?? C'mon He was twice the WR Rollin was. Rollin looks great in a uniform but lacks any kind of speed to really hurt people. Hyland just wasn't any good period. One of the main reasons we lost to Illinois State. Thats not his fault, its the coaches fault for playing him. Hubert and Tiefenthaler show a lot of promise for the future. Minnett was obviously a great Jackrabbit but lets not forget his 2 fumbles at UNI and his interception.. Play calling was suspect at times no doubt. Hopefully we can put in a screen pass once in awhile rather than the swing pass all the time!!!!

Comment

After watching the jacks all year and a lot of football this weekend from my perspective our biggest problem is that we have a quarterback that is either unable or unwilling to run the football when the opportunity presents itself. I know we run the wildcat with great sucess to compensate for a lack of a running quarterback, but I would love to see a multi-threat quarterback behind center for the Jacks. I can never ever remember TOB taking off and running the ball when the pocket broke down. Many of those interceptions in the redzone may been avoided. Is he being instructed to not run the ball or does he lack the courage?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            After watching the jacks all year and a lot of football this weekend from my perspective our biggest problem is that we have a quarterback that is either unable or unwilling to run the football when the opportunity presents itself. I know we run the wildcat with great sucess to compensate for a lack of a running quarterback, but I would love to see a multi-threat quarterback behind center for the Jacks. I can never ever remember TOB taking off and running the ball when the pocket broke down. Many of those interceptions in the redzone may been avoided. Is he being instructed to not run the ball or does he lack the courage?

Good point, TOB was extremely one-dimensional, being a pocket passer. The problem being, he's not that great of a passer.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                              Kool didn't do anything at WR?? C'mon He was twice the WR Rollin was. Rollin looks great in a uniform but lacks any kind of speed to really hurt people. Hyland just wasn't any good period. One of the main reasons we lost to Illinois State. Thats not his fault, its the coaches fault for playing him. Hubert and Tiefenthaler show a lot of promise for the future. Minnett was obviously a great Jackrabbit but lets not forget his 2 fumbles at UNI and his interception.. Play calling was suspect at times no doubt. Hopefully we can put in a screen pass once in awhile rather than the swing pass all the time!!!!
                              Sorry bout that, I meant experience prior to this year, yeah Kool and Hubert and Tiefenthaler all looked good but none of them had done much as WR before this year, Kool line up in the slot last year a couple of times.

Comment

Working...
                              X