Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons For Optimism

-We won 5 of our last 7 games.

-Our O Line returns just about everybody.

-The QB position will be a competition again, and we will have an adequate backup if needed.

-Some of our toughest conference games will be at home next year.

-We averaged over 10,000 attendance despite a losing record.

-Multiple players returning at skill positions like reciever, linebacker, corner.

Any others?
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Reasons For Optimism

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

-The QB position will be a competition again, and we will have an adequate backup if needed.

-Multiple players returning at skill positions like reciever, linebacker, corner.

Any others?
    Jake Steffen has one more year, Bowers did some good things. Our DL is extreeeeemmmmeeeeellllly small. It's a worry. Hopefully Moala shows some leaps and bounds, he's got some bulk.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

TOB was the only QB who took a snap this season. Does that translate to a redshirt year for backup Thomas as well as well as one for prospect Sumner? That's a positive building block. Also, the loss of something like 18 seniors, plus a few underclassmen, translates to a large, incoming pool of new and talented players. There's room for some transfers and jucos to fill gaps, as well as an average-sized recruiting class.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Jacks underperformed, lost 3 senior leaders before and during the season, and still ended up in a tie for 3rd place in the MVFC, including a play-off team, and beat a play-off participant.

So, only fell one position, have good returners at QB, and in the O-line. Get some good Pioneer League, OVC, OOC's, Jacks should be able to be in the MVFC title discussion well into Nov. 11.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Any others?
          This is the best one, in my opinion. The reason we used to have such an awesome line with Erickson, Crumly, Robling, Flesner, and crew was that those dudes had played together for several years. Continuity is HUGE on the O line.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            TOB was the only QB who took a snap this season. Does that translate to a redshirt year for backup Thomas as well as well as one for prospect Sumner? That's a positive building block. Also, the loss of something like 18 seniors, plus a few underclassmen, translates to a large, incoming pool of new and talented players. There's room for some transfers and jucos to fill gaps, as well as an average-sized recruiting class.
            In TV's live chat during the NDSU game,he said that Thomas would not be a factor next season - not quite sure what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
              Jacks underperformed, lost 3 senior leaders before and during the season, and still ended up in a tie for 3rd place in the MVFC, including a play-off team, and beat a play-off participant.

So, only fell one position, have good returners at QB, and in the O-line. Get some good Pioneer League, OVC, OOC's, Jacks should be able to be in the MVFC title discussion well into Nov. 11.

Looking through those league rankings with rose-colored glasses? We also ended up in a tie for eighth, too... This seemed like a lot bigger fall than one position or am I wrong?

Comment

We technically placed 6th. We beat MSU and SIU and were beat by ISU-RED, ISU-Blue and NDSU. 6th is not what I expected for this years team btw...I'm sure neither did they.
                One the other side, one more win against Red, Blue or Bison, we place 3rd while beating the 2nd place team. This sounds better, even though we are still out of the playoffs with one more win. IMO, it was a poopy season nonetheless....SDSU fans should and NEED to expect better.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  Looking through those league rankings with rose-colored glasses? We also ended up in a tie for eighth, too... This seemed like a lot bigger fall than one position or am I wrong?
                  I think you have to look back at previous years to get a feel for where a 4-4 conference mark would put us. We would be a mid-pack team. I do think there is reason for optimism though. Going 5-2 down the stretch helps (Bison went 4-3). Even with the loss of several outstanding seniors I think the defense will be solid. I think all the questions come in on offense. Our line will be solid, talented and physical. But what happens at the skill positions. Do we try to bring in some experience (see Ju Co) at receiver? It does sound like Kool will be moving back to RB and is the projected starter (complain about that, but TV said it again Saturday). That will definitely change the way we run the ball, but I have also heard really good things about Zenner and I think he and Dom will fight for the #2 spot. The big question is QB. Who wins the starting job, and can we get some solid play (minus the turnovers) at that position next year.

Comment

The O-line is the biggest reason.

The Wideouts all will be improved, and more mature and that will be nice.

Not sure what TE position will look like, lost a couple of pretty good ones.

RB? Not as worried about this as maybe I should be. Seems like we always have had good play back there.

DL-pretty good
                    LB-some good guys returning
                    DB's? Losing Jeske and Brodie will hurt, hopefully we can find the guys to replace them.

Lose both our kickers and our punter? Or is Harris back? can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      The O-line is the biggest reason.

The Wideouts all will be improved, and more mature and that will be nice.

Not sure what TE position will look like, lost a couple of pretty good ones.

RB? Not as worried about this as maybe I should be. Seems like we always have had good play back there.

DL-pretty good
                      LB-some good guys returning
                      DB's? Losing Jeske and Brodie will hurt, hopefully we can find the guys to replace them.

Lose both our kickers and our punter? Or is Harris back? can't remember.
                      Harris is back.

Are Sawyer and Syrovotka still with the team? Both were highly touted recruits, Sawyer as a P and Syrovotka as a PK.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Harris is back.

Are Sawyer and Syrovotka still with the team? Both were highly touted recruits, Sawyer as a P and Syrovotka as a PK.
                        I know coaches were very impressed with both Sawyer and Syrovotka thinking they will lock up those posititions for years to come.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I know coaches were very impressed with both Sawyer and Syrovotka thinking they will lock up those posititions for years to come.
                          My guess is Sawyer will punt next year and Syrovotka will kick fg's and PAT's. Harris will kick off and long fg's. I think that is what the plan will be.

I think the big thing will be scheduling, the Athletic Department dropped the ball with the schedule.

1st problem was putting Deleware first, now I understand that this game was made years ago before a conference and so on, but if thats the case you have to play someone before hand.

2nd. putting Nebraska inbetween conference games, that is a big mistake, you set yourself up for a trap game and letdown game in the weeks before and after.

3rd. putting UND last, no reason whatsoever to have a non-conference game at home the last week of the season.

Most of the positions have depth, improvement and experience going into next year. RB will be a tough gap to fill but whether it be Zenner, Kool or whoever I think talent wise it will be an improvement, heart, soul and toughness? thats another question as Kyle and Tyler excelled in those spots.

Comment

I thought I saw someone mention this earlier, but I can't find the post. Can Dale Moss play WR next year? I think he has one year of elgibility, or did he red-shirt for basketball?

If he is elgible and interested, I have to imagine they would give him a try during Spring ball....unless we are just coming off a National Championship? Then he may want a break.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Wide receiver is probably the easiest position to learn on offense. Running back next due to blitz pickup schemes.

The rumblings I hear is the kid from Andover should be pretty good at wide receiver, maybe better than what we had this year including Kool.

I believe that if Kool were a better WR than RB, the coaches would keep him there. He did have his share of drops also.

Regardless of where we predict who will play next year - we all know it basically comes down to QB. You cannot win with poor QB play.

Comment

Working...
                              X