Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anyone says the game should be.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone says the game should be.......

played in Sioux Falls one more time I'm going to freak out. Howard Wood sucks and it would take away all kinds of money from Brookings and SDSU. Think of how much the restaurants, hotels, etc. benefit from that type of crowd coming into town. Quit talking about the game to be in Sioux Falls because that would be a joke. /rant
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: If anyone says the game should be.......

Agreed. It needs to be in Brookings or Vermillion.

I'd even go so far as to agree that the first game should be in Brookings. Hopefully giving time for USD to increase capacity in the dome for the next game - in Vermillion in... 2013, I think it would be.

Go Yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
      Agreed. It needs to be in Brookings or Vermillion.

I'd even go so far as to agree that the first game should be in Brookings. Hopefully giving time for USD to increase capacity in the dome for the next game - in Vermillion in... 2013, I think it would be.

Go Yotes.
      Agree. I will say that the first game against USD at CAS will break the attendance record.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Nothing against Sioux Falls, but I think the folks in Vermillion and Brookings would really treat this game as special, whereas Sioux Falls would see it as another game.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          played in Sioux Falls one more time I'm going to freak out. Howard Wood sucks and it would take away all kinds of money from Brookings and SDSU. Think of how much the restaurants, hotels, etc. benefit from that type of crowd coming into town. Quit talking about the game to be in Sioux Falls because that would be a joke. /rant
          It sounds like you are having an emotional reaction to a proposal you personally don't like. Much like the reaction many of us had when SDSU announced the jump to DI.

This game could be played anywhere and the atmosphere would be awesome.

I would be very curious to know exactly how much revenue a game with 5000 people in November brings into the community. Do you really think the economic impact is that great? Brookings businesses would make ZERO DOLLARS the years the game would be in Vermillion, and they would miss out on an opportunity to entice Sioux Falls sports fans to come and spend money in Brookings.

What if SDSU could make more money by having the game at Howard Wood? What if SDSU could double, triple, or even quadruple the number of season ticket sales by leveraging the limited capacity of Howard Wood? That's a TON of guaranteed revenue, as well as a lot of guaranteed benefit for Brookings restaurants, hotels, etc.

USD's AD stated on the radio this afternoon that he thought it would be possible to play the game in Sioux Falls every few years.

If SDSU and the Brookings community dismisses the Sioux Falls game without doing some heavy research and analysis, they're not doing their jobs.

I would not be surprised in the least if the SFSA put together a very, very lucrative proposal for this game that would be hard to turn down. This game has the potential to be as profitable as an additional FBS opponent every single season.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'll go one step further and say that Sioux Falls should be the LAST place in South Dakota a Football game between these two should EVER be played.

I realize no one else has the facilities to host such an event, but I'd rather watch in Pierre, or Chamberlain, or Sisseton, or Garretson, or Gregory, or Polo. Shall I continue?

There should be legislation stating such, don't you think? Brookings or Vermillion or BUST!!!!!

Comment

No more legislation!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                It sounds like you are having an emotional reaction to a proposal you personally don't like. Much like the reaction many of us had when SDSU announced the jump to DI.

This game could be played anywhere and the atmosphere would be awesome.

I would be very curious to know exactly how much revenue a game with 5000 people in November brings into the community. Do you really think the economic impact is that great? Brookings businesses would make ZERO DOLLARS the years the game would be in Vermillion, and they would miss out on an opportunity to entice Sioux Falls sports fans to come and spend money in Brookings.

What if SDSU could make more money by having the game at Howard Wood? What if SDSU could double, triple, or even quadruple the number of season ticket sales by leveraging the limited capacity of Howard Wood? That's a TON of guaranteed revenue, as well as a lot of guaranteed benefit for Brookings restaurants, hotels, etc.

USD's AD stated on the radio this afternoon that he thought it would be possible to play the game in Sioux Falls every few years.

If SDSU and the Brookings community dismisses the Sioux Falls game without doing some heavy research and analysis, they're not doing their jobs.

I would not be surprised in the least if the SFSA put together a very, very lucrative proposal for this game that would be hard to turn down. This game has the potential to be as profitable as an additional FBS opponent every single season.
                You honestly think SDSU would sell an extra 7500 season tickets just because they have a home football game in Sioux Falls? You realize that HWF only holds 12K fans right? You realize that at 15K attendance for a game at CAS you are talking about 300K in gate revenue. Do you really think the SFSA is going to put up the minimum 500K it would take to get SDSU/USD to play one game in Sioux Falls?

Yes, SDSU played a home game in Sioux Falls 5 years ago because they were having trouble drawing fans to home games and were trying to increase fan support. Guess what, SDSU is drawing over 10K a game now. Times have changed, priorities have changed, economics have changed. This doesn't make any sense anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                  No more legislation!!!!!!!
                  That was tongue in cheek - sarcasm. Only North Dakota would be so silly!! Can't wait to see how their legislature deals with this!!!!

Comment

I definitly think a study should be done. How many tickets would SDSU fans be allotted for a game in Vermillion? Or vice-versa in Brookings? Howard Wood may only seet 10K, but with the addition of huge bleachers in each endzone, that could get the attendance to 14 or 16K, which is larger than CAS. The suits in Brookings are always thinking of ways to boost attendance for season ticket holders and to get Sioux Falls involed with SDSU atheletics. I would think this could only help. Season ticket holders get first dibs. Its all about the $$$. Charge $40 a ticket. If not every year, maybe a 3 year rotation (SDSU-USD-Howard Wood).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      You honestly think SDSU would sell an extra 7500 season tickets just because they have a home football game in Sioux Falls?
                      Probably not 7500, but I could see an additional 2-3K (see next point)

You realize that HWF only holds 12K fans right?
                      The limited seating capacity of HWF is the precise reason why so many more season tickets could be sold. By leveraging the limited capacity of the stadium, the only way you guarantee yourself a seat would be to be a season ticket holder at one of the two schools.

You realize that at 15K attendance for a game at CAS you are talking about 300K in gate revenue. Do you really think the SFSA is going to put up the minimum 500K it would take to get SDSU/USD to play one game in Sioux Falls?
                      If an extra 3000 season tickets are sold (which would put us at about 5200), that's an additional $300,000 of guaranteed money paid in June. Add a $50 dollar donation for each of those season tickets, and you've got an extra $150,000. If SDSU sold an additional 2000 season tickets with minimum donations, it would be $300,000. And that would be money they would get every season, not every other season (despite rain, cold, snow). USD could do the same.

With corporate sponsorships, TV ad slots, vendor sales, etc, I wouldn't be shocked if SFSA put together a very interesting bid. They got $269K of corporate sponsorships for the Summit Tournament, which had an attendance of about 34k, with exactly 2 of 16 teams competing from South Dakota. I wouldn't be surprised if they could raise a similar amount for a State/U game.

Yes, SDSU played a home game in Sioux Falls 5 years ago because they were having trouble drawing fans to home games and were trying to increase fan support. Guess what, SDSU is drawing over 10K a game now. Times have changed, priorities have changed, economics have changed. This doesn't make any sense anymore.
                      I'm sure SDSU lost money the last time they played in Sioux Falls. They would almost certainly make money by playing USD in Sioux Falls.

Now that we're averaging over 10K we should stop trying to increase fan support? Guess what? SDSU wants to build a stadium with a seating capacity of 22K. If they hope to fill it on a regular basis, they are going to need more season ticket holders and more Sioux Falls people interested in Jackrabbit athletics. The current efforts by SDSU to tap this market might get us to 5000 season ticket holders in 10 years, if USD doesn't beat us to it.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_Jackrabbits View Post
                        I definitly think a study should be done. How many tickets would SDSU fans be allotted for a game in Vermillion? Or vice-versa in Brookings? Howard Wood may only seet 10K, but with the addition of huge bleachers in each endzone, that could get the attendance to 14 or 16K, which is larger than CAS. The suits in Brookings are always thinking of ways to boost attendance for season ticket holders and to get Sioux Falls involed with SDSU atheletics. I would think this could only help. Season ticket holders get first dibs. Its all about the $$$. Charge $40 a ticket. If not every year, maybe a 3 year rotation (SDSU-USD-Howard Wood).
                        This. Making emotional decisions based on tradition and pride haven't worked out too well for a certain school in North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Probably not 7500, but I could see an additional 2-3K (see next point)

The limited seating capacity of HWF is the precise reason why so many more season tickets could be sold. By leveraging the limited capacity of the stadium, the only way you guarantee yourself a seat would be to be a season ticket holder at one of the two schools.

If an extra 3000 season tickets are sold (which would put us at about 5200), that's an additional $300,000 of guaranteed money paid in June. Add a $50 dollar donation for each of those season tickets, and you've got an extra $150,000. If SDSU sold an additional 2000 season tickets with minimum donations, it would be $300,000. And that would be money they would get every season, not every other season (despite rain, cold, snow). USD could do the same.

With corporate sponsorships, TV ad slots, vendor sales, etc, I wouldn't be shocked if SFSA put together a very interesting bid. They got $269K of corporate sponsorships for the Summit Tournament, which had an attendance of about 34k, with exactly 2 of 16 teams competing from South Dakota. I wouldn't be surprised if they could raise a similar amount for a State/U game.

I'm sure SDSU lost money the last time they played in Sioux Falls. They would almost certainly make money by playing USD in Sioux Falls.

Now that we're averaging over 10K we should stop trying to increase fan support? Guess what? SDSU wants to build a stadium with a seating capacity of 22K. If they hope to fill it on a regular basis, they are going to need more season ticket holders and more Sioux Falls people interested in Jackrabbit athletics. The current efforts by SDSU to tap this market might get us to 5000 season ticket holders in 10 years, if USD doesn't beat us to it.
                          Using your logic,having Sioux Falls fans exposed to the great basketball played at the Summit League tournament the last two years should have significantly increased the number of basketball season ticketholders from Sioux Falls. I have no idea if this has happened - do you think it has ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Using your logic,having Sioux Falls fans exposed to the great basketball played at the Summit League tournament the last two years should have significantly increased the number of basketball season ticketholders from Sioux Falls. I have no idea if this has happened - do you think it has ?
                            Asked Sell in the TV weekly chat. Jacks are closing in on season tix seating capacity. Without creating new seats, not many more season tix holders can be added. If I'm understanding that correctly, SDSU has to be near the top of Summit for attendence, and when actual tushes in the seats match up, we're doing phenomenal.

Comment

I think it should be up to the schools to decide where to host their game. I don't see a reason on why SDSU would want to move the game to Sioux Falls. I think 16K would be expected, maybe do what mlb does and have it a priority game and charge $2 more a ticket. USD I think has a reason to consider Sioux Falls as a location. they claim 10K, I expect it to be closer to 8K. If Sioux Falls can sell 12K, plus more in ad revenue I could see them considering it, but SDSU I think can get most of the ad revenue Sioux Falls would get and then have a larger gate. plus I hate moving a home game.

Comment

Working...
                              X