PDA

View Full Version : USD to MVFC

thumper_76
11-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Thought this was a little bit news worthy.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2010 ... /101103040 (http://www.argusleader.com/article/2010%20...%20/101103040)

Out of left field, holy bejeezus.:eek:

Nidaros
11-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Smart move on the MVFC part. USD makes it a 10 team conference.

TeaJackrabbit
11-04-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm so happy...can't even express it!!! Good for the great state of South Dakota!!! May our kids and current college kids now see a rivalry.

I have felt like my insides had been ripped out the last few days...nice to know the rivalry will continue. For the first and most likely last time, cheers to you USD.

JimmyJack
11-04-2010, 06:19 AM
I think this is great news! SDSU needs a short trip in all sports and another conference game wouldn't hurt in football. South Dakota kids can renew their rivalries after high school. Both schools get a series of big-time attendance games. This is a winning move for student athletes of both schools.

This goes back to somebody's (was it usdfbalum?) statement that for SDSU to succeed, USD doesn't have to fail and vice versa. USD's good news doesn't have to be bad news for SDSU. The knee-jerk hate-state, screw-the-u crowd might not like it. I grew up in that atmosphere but it's time to move on. We can't control what some fans on either side think or do. All we can do is police our own.

There is no rational argument that makes this a bad move, only emotional ones. This is the new reality. I'm going to enjoy the renewal of the rivalry in all sports.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
11-04-2010, 06:55 AM
This is good news and congratulations to USD. Their administration certainly played their cards right and should be commended.

Welcome to the MVFC Yotes, thanks for staying in the Summit.

sfjacksfan99
11-04-2010, 08:17 AM
USD makes it a 10 team conference.

So what's going to go on with this? The thing that makes sense now is to expand the league to 12.

It's been said over and over on here. 10 isn't a good number. 2 non-conference games. Or not playing one team in the league each year.

Jacks-D1
11-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Great news. By far the best solution for both USD and SDSU.

Jacks#1Fan
11-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Have to admit this caught me totally by surprise! Looks like Douple was able to get some quick behind-the-doors movement by the MVFC presidents. Only bad thing about it for me is having to consider whether I'm going to go and watch basketball in the Dome, which is a horrible place for that sport. Hope the pressure builds to get a basketball facility built down there.

91jack
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
So what's going to go on with this? The thing that makes sense now is to expand the league to 12.

It's been said over and over on here. 10 isn't a good number. 2 non-conference games. Or not playing one team in the league each year.

I don't think 10 is an ideal number but you can make it work. The years that you play 5 home games, you can pick up a money game and a road non-conference game. The other years, you pick up a home non-conference game so you still have 5 home games. It would be nice to get 6 home games but SDSU doesn't have that this year so what's the difference. If you really wanted 6 home games, you could schedule a DII or a patsy team with no return game.
I think this is a good deal. This keeps USD in the Summit. The MVFC has hand shakes before the game and they police the games fairly well. I wasn't real impressed with the pre-Illinois State games activities but that was cured and if something happened here, it would be, too.

tcbison
11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
As a Bison fan, I think this is absolutely awesome! Welcome to the MVFC Yotes!

RabbitObsessed
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
This is totally awesome. Glad to see that so many people (including USD's admin!) realized that this was the best solution. Good work by the MVFC for getting this done as well.

I'm honestly a little surprised by this, but it is a good thing for sure.

Now USD people don't have to talk themselves into the BSC.

goon
11-04-2010, 12:28 PM
This is totally awesome. Glad to see that so many people (including USD's admin!) realized that this was the best solution. Good work by the MVFC for getting this done as well.

I'm honestly a little surprised by this, but it is a good thing for sure.

Now USD people don't have to talk themselves into the BSC.

Or not hear USD people blame SDSU for not trying to help them.

jackdaniel
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Three out of four old NCC "Dakota " teams in the same conference isn't too bad.I think, in a way , UND going to ,as well as SUU,the BSC , helped the MV football conference to decide maybe they should expand a little to provide a little cushion to any future defections,while there are still good candidates available.Congadulations USD,welcome aboard.

goon
11-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I wonder how well UND is liking this. I am sure they are not impressed.

2002jack
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I would suggest an 8 game conference schedule, instead of unbalanced every year. If for instance, one year USD or NDSU is not on the conference schedule, a game could be negotiated and scheduled on the side as a nonconference game. It keeps the rivalry going, and keeps the conference fair.

thumper_76
11-04-2010, 12:53 PM
pantherrob82 wrote:YSU
IN St
SIU
WIU
Il St

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
MSU

would be an interesting breakdown.
wonder how that would work... play the other 4 in your division every year, and then 4 of the 5 in the other division? Or would they go with a 7-game schedule (3 of the 5 out of the other division) to give more OOC flexibility? Would kind of be nice to have 4 OOC games to work with for UNI (2 FBS money games, buying a home game with someone, and 1 slot left to work in quality home-and-home series)

Though it would definitely be odd to have seasons where the Panthers and Salukis don't face off.

Here is an idea of what my happen that is being kicked around on fcsfans.com. I kinda like this myself, the two divisions, play everyone in your division and then 3 from the other division, so we could possibly renew things like Cal Poly and Mcneese.

Jacks-02
11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing there will be some sort of west/east conference alignment. Maybe WIU, UNI, SDSU, USD, NDSU west with YSU, ISUr, ISUb, SIU, MSU east. Play your 4 division teams every year for 2 home/away and then play 4 of the 5 in the other division every year for another 2 home/away games.

MaddogJack
11-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I admit to being an old school, ardent Coyote 'hater' (it's a strong word, I know - I caution my children in the use of it.)

I would like to join the ranks of other Jackrabbit fans in welcoming the Coyotes to the MVFC and look forward to them honoring their committment to the Summit. It's a great move for the Yotes, their programs and their fans - the State of South Dakota for that matter.

Let the games begin!! (Without the Sue, I might add!!!!)

Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!!

JackJD
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Here's the official release on USD's website: LINK (http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=6016)

joeybrownerHOF
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Link to Argus.
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101104/UPDATES/101104029

I think a poster from Tea will like the photo.

propar80
11-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Link to Argus.
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101104/UPDATES/101104029

I think a poster from Tea will like the photo.

Good Ol' 7-Ball. I'm guessing he made that one-handed, shirt tackle.:D

Go Jacks!!

tcbison
11-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I wonder how well UND is liking this. I am sure they are not impressed.

Don't worry, they have hockey.

BTownJack
11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Here is an interesting piece of negotiations. I wonder how this is really going to work out down the road. Doesn't seem likely they can adhere to letting ISU only traveling to 1 of the 3 Dakota schools each year without manipulating the rest of the schedule.

http://tribstar.com/breakingnews/x104127245/BREAKING-South-Dakota-to-join-MVFC

rabidrabbit
11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
This set up would work good. Limit the YSU/In St/SIU interaction with the Dakota schools. MO ST/UNI/WIU fill the roll of the substituted school going the shorter distance.

Hammersmith
11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Here is an interesting piece of negotiations. I wonder how this is really going to work out down the road. Doesn't seem likely they can adhere to letting ISU only traveling to 1 of the 3 Dakota schools each year without manipulating the rest of the schedule.

http://tribstar.com/breakingnews/x104127245/BREAKING-South-Dakota-to-join-MVFC

At first glance, I think it will take 18 years to do a complete rotation of the schedule. What are the odds that the conference will remain unchanged for that long. Just setup the schedule so that the 2-Dakota trip games for SIU and ISUb are 15+ years out, and you're set.

BTownJack
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
At first glance, I think it will take 18 years to do a complete rotation of the schedule. What are the odds that the conference will remain unchanged for that long. Just setup the schedule so that the 2-Dakota trip games for SIU and ISUb are 15+ years out, and you're set.

After more thought, how can you adhere to letting just ISU do this and not let the other schools that have to fly to the Dakotas do the same?

Seems like this was discussed and verbally agreed to by Patty but I can't see it coming to fruition.

Evolution Prime
11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Looks like UND might have jumped the gun at bit. It looks like they rushed things a bit. A Summit League offer, I believe, was basically a done deal. All the Summit League wanted to do was their formal process of offering. I'm sure a MVFC invite would have followed shortly there after since Cal Poly and UC Davis were headed to the Big Sky for football and likely SUU to follow shortly there after (as was seen last week). Now they are in a conference with no real rivalries (No. Colo if you want to count that from the NCC days) and no real close conference games. Plus they have the Montana schools possibility of leaving in the near future hanging over that conference. Instead, they go ahead and cancel the Summit League visit and jump at the first offer they got without thinking thinking and seeing how things played out. They look like the oddball of the bunch in the Big Sky instead of forming the new backbone of the Summit League. Poor decision by them.

MikeHenriksen
11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
The comments today said that this happened mostly because the conference found out USD was not married to UND on a move. An 11 team league does not work, but a 10 team league does. The heck with UND! I think this is a great move for the casual fan in South Dakota, and great for USD and SDSU.

yoteforever
11-04-2010, 07:07 PM
There has been so much that has happened and transpired the last 2 days, it almost gives one a headache how this all went down.

To begin with, at the press conference today, the commissioner addressed the 10 team rotating football schedule. Basically, you would not play one of the the teams from the MVFC and would alter the teams. However, the league intends to protect the "rivalry" games. So that would tell me that USD will play SDSU and NDSU and probably UNI every year, and the teams out the furthest would be the ones to take turns being dropped from their schedules. So teams like Youngstown, SIU, and the likes would be dropped from your scehdule once every 4-5 years, and we would play each other every year. Makes sense. Protects the rivalry and eliminates the most travel expense.

As of Monday night, USD was thinking they were going to the BSC. Patty was reading the press releases and clippings on Monday afternoon, and came to the realization that USD/UND were "not tethered". Since UND annouced on Monday they were going BCS, that in essence made USD a "free agent". Had the commisioner of the BCS had a Monday deadline, USD would be in the BCS now instead of the MVFC/Summit. Patty contacted AD sayler on Tuesday early AM and asked if the door was open to an invite yet. President Abbott instructed AD Sayler that the MVFC had until 5 pm Tuesday to have a letter in his hands indicating that all 9 presidents of the MVFC were behind a USD invitation. That letter came in at 4:50.

Then what happened was to do "due diligence" one more time now knowing we had an offer from both leagues. President Abbott alluded to the fact he thought it was very important that USD have rivalry games almost immediately because he wants to fill seats and build a new arena. His assessment is that it would be easier to have packed houses playing basketball against SDSU, NDSU, and the likes as opposed to Portland State, Weber State, and Northern Arizona.

Whether this last hour deal was one huge game of Texas Hold'em or it was just plain lucky how the chips fell when they did, it no longer matters. South Dakota commits to the MVFC and begins the fall of 2012. I don't think USD ever "verbally" commited to the Big Sky, nor UND. In the end, everyone gets what they want, and that is a football league and a stated league for all sports other than football.

Right or wrong, we are now with you. Thanks for the words on us being with you. I think everyone is sincere in those thoughts. I look forward to the renewed rivalry, and HEALTHY bantering. It is now our job to make sure this renewed rivalry will be one we are all proud of.

Good luck Saturday Jacks

YFE

SDSUAlum08
11-04-2010, 11:30 PM
There has been so much that has happened and transpired the last 2 days, it almost gives one a headache how this all went down.

To begin with, at the press conference today, the commissioner addressed the 10 team rotating football schedule. Basically, you would not play one of the the teams from the MVFC and would alter the teams. However, the league intends to protect the "rivalry" games. So that would tell me that USD will play SDSU and NDSU and probably UNI every year, and the teams out the furthest would be the ones to take turns being dropped from their schedules. So teams like Youngstown, SIU, and the likes would be dropped from your scehdule once every 4-5 years, and we would play each other every year. Makes sense. Protects the rivalry and eliminates the most travel expense.

As of Monday night, USD was thinking they were going to the BSC. Patty was reading the press releases and clippings on Monday afternoon, and came to the realization that USD/UND were "not tethered". Since UND annouced on Monday they were going BCS, that in essence made USD a "free agent". Had the commisioner of the BCS had a Monday deadline, USD would be in the BCS now instead of the MVFC/Summit. Patty contacted AD sayler on Tuesday early AM and asked if the door was open to an invite yet. President Abbott instructed AD Sayler that the MVFC had until 5 pm Tuesday to have a letter in his hands indicating that all 9 presidents of the MVFC were behind a USD invitation. That letter came in at 4:50.

Then what happened was to do "due diligence" one more time now knowing we had an offer from both leagues. President Abbott alluded to the fact he thought it was very important that USD have rivalry games almost immediately because he wants to fill seats and build a new arena. His assessment is that it would be easier to have packed houses playing basketball against SDSU, NDSU, and the likes as opposed to Portland State, Weber State, and Northern Arizona.

Whether this last hour deal was one huge game of Texas Hold'em or it was just plain lucky how the chips fell when they did, it no longer matters. South Dakota commits to the MVFC and begins the fall of 2012. I don't think USD ever "verbally" commited to the Big Sky, nor UND. In the end, everyone gets what they want, and that is a football league and a stated league for all sports other than football.

Right or wrong, we are now with you. Thanks for the words on us being with you. I think everyone is sincere in those thoughts. I look forward to the renewed rivalry, and HEALTHY bantering. It is now our job to make sure this renewed rivalry will be one we are all proud of.

Good luck Saturday Jacks

YFE

++++

An absolutely spot on post and very sincere. Great post YFE!

joeboo22
11-05-2010, 01:43 AM
I asked this question in the live chat and Terry liked it but Sell wasn't sure.

Could you see where the tenth team (the one you are not playing) would be added as an out of conference game? The game would be set up just like a regular contract with money and/or return dates ect. The reason I ask this is it seemed as if a lot of the teams in the valley had problems getting that last game on their schedule. NDSU had to buy a team to come play, SDSU has to play UND, SIU I believe had to play a D-II school.

TeaJackrabbit
11-05-2010, 01:55 AM
YE - thanks for continuing to come on here and the same goes to you, God Bless and let's do this!!! One of my best friends is a Yote and we have just had the best time and discussions about this lately. I told my wife it will enhance our friendship as we now will be able to razz each other and go to the games together.

This is so great!!! I'm so proud our state can have this. We deserve this. Hey, there will be a day where USD beats us and we maybe hope they were in Honduras, er, the Big Sky...but I hope at that time we realize that an occasional loss, losing to that bitter rival, as hard as it may be (and it will be hard) is good for the rivalry and better than losing to Roast Beef Tech.

And for those that don't want to resume the nations oldest "State vs. U" rivalry...it's not about you or your pride. It's about our state and our kids. State was right, U was wrong. We paved the way for them. No doubt about it. But let's move on and do what's best for our kids and our state. We can and will have alot of fun w/ "Me-too-U" in the future.

GOD BLESS OUR GREAT STATE!

yoteforever
11-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I asked this question in the live chat and Terry liked it but Sell wasn't sure.

Could you see where the tenth team (the one you are not playing) would be added as an out of conference game? The game would be set up just like a regular contract with money and/or return dates ect. The reason I ask this is it seemed as if a lot of the teams in the valley had problems getting that last game on their schedule. NDSU had to buy a team to come play, SDSU has to play UND, SIU I believe had to play a D-II school.

JB 22,

I don't think that will work and only because the INS and SIU want assurances from the league that they would only have to fly once a year to the Dakota's to keep travel costs where they are now. That clause would mean that for those two schools at least, once every 3 years one f the Dakota schools would be off their schedule.

That also makes sense and coincides with what the Commish said. She said they would let the rivalry games be played every year, so in essence, USD will play SDSU, NDSU, andprobably UNI every year, and once every three years we won't play Indiana State, Youngstown, and SIU.

That way each Dakota school has to fly to one of those "distant" games in the league. I think I am accurately stating this position by the league.

She also did say, apparently every 4th year (?) you can have a 12 game schedule in FCS. She then said the league would consider a round robin conference schedule then. That makes sense BUT doesn't meet the wishes of the schools that voted yes about USd with the travel contingency.

propar80
11-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I think Patty may have made a few promises that in the end she's not going to be able to keep.
The SIU and ISU-Blue to the Dakota's once a year is going to be interesting to see how it works out.
Also, when did NDSU not become a "Rivalry Game" that should be played every year?? I know there's a freakin' USD/SDSU lovefest going on throughout the state the past couple of days, but let's not forget what game a lot of us want to see EVERY year just as bad(if not more...personally) as SDSU/USD.

The more I think about it. The MVFC needs to make a push for UND and EIU and split it up this way:
West Division:
SDSU
USD
NDSU
UND
UNI
MSU

East Divison:
WIU
SIU
EIU
ISU-Red
ISU-Blue
YSU

Go Jacks!!

6-4-3 Jackrabbit
11-05-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm glad many of you are happy about this move. I'm not. I was hoping that the SDSU/USD days were over. May I remind you this was a school that declared themselves as "South Dakota's Team". In my opinion USD sent a terrible message to the young people of this state when SDSU made the move to D1. They flat out said if you grow up in South Dakota you were not good enough to compete at the Division 1 level. That was wrong. There are many Division 1 kids (band, engineering, athletics, etc......) in this state. SDSU took the bold move and all I could hear from down south was how bad this move was for everyone involved. For many of you who grew up with the SDSU/USD rivalry I'm happy. This Rabbit has a new rival (NDSU) and will not be participating. GO RABBITS!

propar80
11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm glad many of you are happy about this move. I'm not. I was hoping that the SDSU/USD days were over. May I remind you this was a school that declared themselves as "South Dakota's Team". In my opinion USD sent a terrible message to the young people of this state when SDSU made the move to D1. They flat out said if you grow up in South Dakota you were not good enough to compete at the Division 1 level. That was wrong. There are many Division 1 kids (band, engineering, athletics, etc......) in this state. SDSU took the bold move and all I could hear from down south was how bad this move was for everyone involved. For many of you who grew up with the SDSU/USD rivalry I'm happy. This Rabbit has a new rival (NDSU) and will not be participating. GO RABBITS!

Yes...I have to admit, I did hear this one a few times and it probably was one that bothered me the most. I think it was a classic "Lavin".
But alas...I'm am slowly trying to get past all of it, because that's what's "good for the state", when in reality what's probably the best for the state as far as D-1 athletics and it's BOR institutions is the model that Wyoming, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Lousiana, Missouri, Kentucky, Georgia, Ohio, NC, SC,Texas, WV, Virginia and probably other's I'm missing use. But the SDBOR as always made sure that model will never happen here, so that ship has probably long sailed. Onward and upward(maybe);)!!

Go Jacks!!

SoDakJack
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM

I am sorry that you are unable to move on from something that happened years ago. The people that are in charge of both programs are new and either school is going to succeed in the future they are going to need to work together.

On the field we can have as much distaste for our instate rival as we want, but off the field they need to work together to get things done the BoR.

RabbitObsessed
11-05-2010, 11:09 AM

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u165/usdfan17/wambulance_logo.jpg

So are you saying you're not going to be attending any events where USD plays SDSU? Doubtful.

Seriously, get over it. Oh noez, they said they were "South Dakota's Team"?! That's ... offensive? There is nothing you can do about what happened 6 years ago (good lord I'm getting old) and there is nothing you can do about USD being in the same conference as SDSU. What you CAN do though is support SDSU's athletes and teams and cheer for them as hard as you can. Why would you stop participating just because they are playing USD? That's a piss poor attitude and it's the athletes that don't get your support because you are offended over some slight from 6 years ago.

Edit: wrote SDSU instead of USD in one spot

NorCalJack
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
In reading what Patty said at the USD press conference, it appears that UND should be thankful to USD that they even got into the BSC. The MVFC did want a 10 team league, but she thought USD and UND were tethered together and therefore never offered USD. If the MVFC did offer USD before the BSC invite and USD accepted the offer to the MVFC, that would have left UND out in the cold.

I am sure that Patty spoke to USD about joining before and USD told her that UND and USD were a package deal, like SDSU and NDSU was for the MVFC. If USD had indicated to Patty that they were separate then USD may have gotten an invite and UND would still be in the Great West for all sports and independent for football. The BSC probably would not have offered UND an all sports invite without USD.

UND broke their partnership with USD by accepting a BSC invite before USD could get BOR approval. USD I think wanted to be good partners with UND, but UND jumped without USD and that opened the door for the MVFC to invite USD.

I am sure that some UND posters want to state that USD stabbed them in the back, but in all reality UND untethered themselves from USD and this lead to a MVFC invite and they took it.

I think this was a near perfect storm for USD/Summit/MVFC. I congratulate USD for joining the MVFC and staying with the Summit. I think it will be great for South Dakota.

thumper_76
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM

So are you saying you're not going to be attending any events where USD plays SDSU? Doubtful.

Seriously, get over it. Oh noez, they said they were "South Dakota's Team"?! That's ... offensive? There is nothing you can do about what happened 6 years ago (good lord I'm getting old) and there is nothing you can do about USD being in the same conference as SDSU. What you CAN do though is support SDSU's athletes and teams and cheer for them as hard as you can. Why would you stop participating just because they are playing SDSU? That's a piss poor attitude and it's the athletes that don't get your support because you are offended over some slight from 6 years ago.
Yea, you more help USD by doing that then help SDSU, since that ticket you wouldn't use would end up in a varmints hands. Now the way to prove who is the states team is to beat them continually. They can flap their jaws, but they gotta walk the walk too.

rabidrabbit
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
It will be interesting to see over the next couple of years if the Summit/Big Sky work out a deal so that UND can be Big Sky FB, and Summit all rest of the sports. IF MT DOESN'T leave, then odd numbers for both FB, and BB. UNC and UND will be partners, creating nearly as imposing travel as we experienced UMKC & SUU the last couple of years.

yoteforever
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM

6 4 3,

Please cut and paste and show the USD fans once and for all where "they flat out said if you grow up in South Dakota you were not good enough to compete at the Division I level"

Once this is done, and sources verified, I will stand up and shout with all my lungs just how right you are. I will wait for the link. Thank you 6 4 3

By the way, take your time if you are having trouble locating those quotes. I am sure you have them somewhere.

da_coach
11-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Congrats to the Yotes, and their admin, who seemed to handle this correctly.

I posted a few times in the other threads, making fun of the decision to join the Big Sky Conference, because I thought it was a stupid move. I do believe the Montana schools will leave, and the travel costs were going to hurt them big time.

They did a beautiful job of getting what they wanted, and I can't fault them for that. Congrats USD.

TeaJackrabbit
11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Yotemeal - While 643Rabbit needs to move on (and I suspect he will once the time gets here to play USD and the game is hyped like crazy) he is right about USD. They were overly "snotty" and "snooty" during the whole D1 move. Cut and paste? I don't have any of those, nor do I need any. But I'm not bitter. Rather I am very pleased the rivalry will resume. But as an avid SDSU supporter all I need is to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazers...that WE are the ones who made it possible for USD. I don't need to shout that from the top of Frost in two years, just knowing it is enough.

I have a friend who was a USD athlete at the time SDSU went D1. I asked this person, who was and still is close to their coach, honestly, if that coach ever laughed at SDSU about this whole move to D1 and this person responded, embarrassed, with a "yes, all the time."

SoDakJack
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Yotemeal - While 643Rabbit needs to move on (and I suspect he will once the time gets here to play USD and the game is hyped like crazy) he is right about USD. They were overly "snotty" and "snooty" during the whole D1 move. Cut and paste? I don't have any of those, nor do I need any. But I'm not bitter. Rather I am very pleased the rivalry will resume. But as an avid SDSU supporter all I need is to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazers...that WE are the ones who made it possible for USD. I don't need to shout that from the top of Frost in two years, just knowing it is enough.

I have a friend who was a USD athlete at the time SDSU went D1. I asked this person, who was and still is close to their coach, honestly, if that coach ever laughed at SDSU about this whole move to D1 and this person responded, embarrassed, with a "yes, all the time."

The "We Went First Arguement" while true, still seem a little "snotty" and "snooty" to me. Aren't SDSU fans who use this in every argument, in a way, sounding just like those they are chastizing?

The best part of the inclusion of USD into the conference is that we can stop all this petty sniping and settle the argument about the better Division I program the way that it is suppoesd to be settled, on the court and on the field.

JimmyJack
11-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Repeat after me: Football rivalry games are fun. Football rivalry games are fun. Football rivalry games are fun.

It's a game. USD and SDSU share a state in common. Student athletes are 18-22-year-olds who don't carry the baggage we older folks do. So let's enjoy what they do, and make it an enjoyable atmosphere for them to compete in.

Football rivalry games are fun.

6-4-3 Jackrabbit
11-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Seriously, get over it. Oh noez, they said they were "South Dakota's Team"?! That's ... offensive? There is nothing you can do about what happened 6 years ago (good lord I'm getting old) and there is nothing you can do about USD being in the same conference as SDSU. What you CAN do though is support SDSU's athletes and teams and cheer for them as hard as you can. Why would you stop participating just because they are playing USD? That's a piss poor attitude and it's the athletes that don't get your support because you are offended over some slight from 6 years ago.

Edit: wrote SDSU instead of USD in one spot

I'm a man of my word. I will not attend. I will root like hell for the Rabbits from home. GO RABBITS!

usdfbalum
11-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm a man of my word. I will not attend. I will root like hell for the Rabbits from home. GO RABBITS!

That sounds great!- I think this game has a chance to be very civil fun event after all, and you staying home sounds like a great start. Thanks so much.

This game is a celebration for South Dakota and fun for people associated with two fine Universities. I expect this game to be the envy of the league in terms of tailgating, regional interest, and hopefully the competiton on the field.

MaddogJack
11-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Has anyone checked on UND the past few days?

I know they "have hockey" and could care less what NDSU & SDSU did during the D1 move and transition, but I think they thought they were "engaged" to USD.

They have to feel like they were left at the altar. (But I read somewhere that it was our loss and Douple's fault for sticking his nose in their mascot issue. HOW DARE HE!!!!)

Who has the pie on their face now? Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Go Jacks!

1stRowFANatic
11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
All I know is that if I were the Bison, I would be cranking up the lobbyists to stop any stupid legislate-the-rivalry crap before it gets started. The other side will be pushing it for sure.

BTownJack
11-06-2010, 01:28 AM

Good luck Saturday Jacks

YFE

Everyone on this board needs to know THIS IS NOT HOW ALL THIS WENT DOWN. Again, this is not how this went down.

USD weasled their way into the MVFC by threatening Patty V. if USD & UND go to the Big Sky the Big Sky was going to come after NDSU and SDSU in the near future.

You all can believe who you want but it would be a wise ideal to side with the guy who wears Blue & Yellow. Trust me on this one.

joeboo22
11-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Everyone on this board needs to know THIS IS NOT HOW ALL THIS WENT DOWN. Again, this is not how this went down.

USD weasled their way into the MVFC by threatening Patty V. if USD & UND go to the Big Sky the Big Sky was going to come after NDSU and SDSU in the near future.

You all can believe who you want but it would be a wise ideal to side with the guy who wears Blue & Yellow. Trust me on this one.

yeah I agree with you, I think some of his statements may say thats how it went down, but I've seen news articles from creditable reporters say that MVFC presidents were told that if they let USD go SDSU and NDSU would be courted.

I don't think it was anything like them thinking that UND and USD were tethered and when one went and the other didn't they wanted to scoop the other one right up. I think anyone with half a brain new that UND and USD weren't 100% tied at the hip as seen with the Summit move by USD in the first place.

Good for USD, but they went all in with a poor hand and got lucky.

yoteforever
11-06-2010, 08:14 AM

So what you are saying is that USD had the power to contact Patty V. on Monday, muscle her into contacting (9) AD's and then (9) University Presidents, and within 24 hours have all (18) sign off on the deal?

Two things. One, if that is true, then you should be ecstatic that someone so powerful has now aligned with you. Second, maybe your President (Chicoine?) should be interviewed, and if this is true, then possibly let go?

In review, (1) University had a powerful enough threat (BCS Expansion) to force (9) other Universities to play a hand they didn't want? I now have a Florida license to sell real estate, so if some of you here want a fantastic deal on some property, just send me a private message.

I saw the letter from the MVFC on Monday wishing USD good luck in the Big Sky.

p.s. I hear, but can't yet substantiate, that USD is going to the Big 12 in 3 years anyway. It is my understanding President Abbott told Nebraska and Colorado if they didn't like it to get out.

JimmyJack
11-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Didn't Mick Garry cover all of this in his story the other day? Commissioner Viverito was interested once UND wasn't part of the deal. She initiated things and USD gave her until Tuesday to get the Presidents and ADs together. She did. Took her all day Tuesday. Unanimous agreement. Done deal.

jacksfan29
11-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Two things. One, if that is true, then you should be ecstatic that someone so powerful has now aligned with you. Second, maybe your President (Chicoine?) should be interviewed, and if this is true, then possibly let go?

Huh? Why would President Chicoine have to be let go? That makes no sense at all.

As for what happened, I think what is being pointed out by some is that the Big Sky (a victim in some folks eyes) was threatening to come after SDSU and NDSU making Fullerton's dream of having a 16 team league come true. The MVFC did not want to let go of SDSU and NDSU, taking USD worked geographically (UND did not). It also blocked the BSC from going after SDSU and NDSU both of whom have proven to be very valuable to the MVFC. Seems fairly credible considering Fullerton's moves. I think adding USD also protects the MVFC in the event YSU leaves for the CAA. All around, taking USD was a good move. I still don't see where Chicoine would need to be fired. I think he had a hand in getting USD into the MVFC and Summit. Considering that is what Coyote fans wanted (exception CoyoteFan and Yote53), I think USD folks should be thanking our President for the assist.

joeboo22
11-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Huh? Why would President Chicoine have to be let go? That makes no sense at all.

As for what happened, I think what is being pointed out by some is that the Big Sky (a victim in some folks eyes) was threatening to come after SDSU and NDSU making Fullerton's dream of having a 16 team league come true. The MVFC did not want to let go of SDSU and NDSU, taking USD worked geographically (UND did not). It also blocked the BSC from going after SDSU and NDSU both of whom have proven to be very valuable to the MVFC. Seems fairly credible considering Fullerton's moves. I think adding USD also protects the MVFC in the event YSU leaves for the CAA. All around, taking USD was a good move. I still don't see where Chicoine would need to be fired. I think he had a hand in getting USD into the MVFC and Summit. Considering that is what Coyote fans wanted (exception CoyoteFan and Yote53), I think USD folks should be thanking our President for the assist.

I speculate USD was floating the story around the MVFC if they went Big Sky, they were going to insist that the Big Sky pursue SDSU and NDSU. The reason I speculate that is because the commissioner didn't just go around saying I think its a good idea, she went around and said was willing to give concessions to get USD in, if they just wanted USD they wouldn't have been willing to give concessions to an ISU Blue and SIU saying they only had to make one trip to the dakotas. USD got lucky, they could of ended up upsetting a bunch of MVFC schools by leaving the Summit and been stuck traveling a lot.

JackJD
11-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Everyone on this board needs to know you are wrong, BTownJack.

Coyote_Fan
11-07-2010, 01:17 AM

But as an avid Northern Colorado supporter all I need to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazer...that WE are the ones who made it possible for SDSU.

repeat that 300 times over with a different school in each line of the paragraph. Get over yourselves already. There were many schools that went to or were already D1 before SDSU was even a dot on the D1 radar. SDSU would not have gone if it wasn't for NDSU and if SDSU was such a clarivoint then why didn't you go with UNI in the late 70's.

joeboo22
11-07-2010, 01:14 AM
But as an avid Northern Colorado supporter all I need to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazer...that WE are the ones who made it possible for SDSU.

repeat that 300 times over with a different school in each line of the paragraph. Get over yourselves already. There were many schools that went to or were already D1 before SDSU was even a dot on the D1 radar. SDSU would not have gone if it wasn't for NDSU and if SDSU was such a clarivoint then why didn't you go with UNI in the late 70's.

I'm not disagreeing with your point or some of it, its not like SDSU can say hey we made the jump now others are following. However I think the point SDSU is making is that USD mocked SDSU when they made the jump, said openly that they would fail, said that SDSU didn't care about academics, didn't care about local athletes, didn't really care about anything. And many people in the state said the same thing when SDSU made the jump, it was the great unknown for the upper midwest. However when it seemed like SDSU made the right move USD followed right behind. And you can say whatever you want about the conference situation, I don't know if USD made the right move, but I think SDSU, NDSU and UNI had a lot to do with USD getting in the conference. You can thank them, or you can continue to mock them, I don't really think anyone cares.

filbert
11-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Filbert will become angry if he sees anything more in this thread that he could possibly, when he's in a bad mood he might think could even maybe sorta kinda be even the teeniest bit smackish from this point forward.

Filbert does not like being angry. Please do not make Filbert angry. Filbert bans people for exorbitant periods of time when he gets angry. He's funny like that.

Thank you.

(Message from the Foundation To Keep Filbert From Becoming Really Really Angry And Banning People For Exorbitant Periods Of Time, The Society To Prevent Filbert From Referring To Himself In The Third Person, this radio station, and the Ad Council.)

Jacks#1Fan
11-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Everyone on this board needs to know you are wrong, BTownJack.

Absolutely agree with you JackJD. Those of you who think there was any validity to USD being able to "muscle" the MVFC are not being very logical.

As TV said in his Twitter yesterday, the MVFC commissioner was shocked to find out that the two schools weren't joined "at the hip" (like SDSU and NDSU were). That was what opened the door to looking at the expansion.

A number of posters on different threads have alluded to SDSU pursuing Big Sky membership when we went D-1. Heck, we were pusuing any conference membership. I am personally thankful that we didn't get invited by the BSC and wound up where we are now. For the same reasons that I thought USD would be making a mistake by joining the Big Sky. (Not that I personally wouldn't have been particularly unhappy if that had gone that way.:D)

LakeJack
11-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Filbert will become angry if he sees anything more in this thread that he could possibly, when he's in a bad mood he might think could even maybe sorta kinda be even the teeniest bit smackish from this point forward.

Filbert does not like being angry. Please do not make Filbert angry. Filbert bans people for exorbitant periods of time when he gets angry. He's funny like that.

Thank you.

(Message from the Foundation To Keep Filbert From Becoming Really Really Angry And Banning People For Exorbitant Periods Of Time, The Society To Prevent Filbert From Referring To Himself In The Third Person, this radio station, and the Ad Council.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXpKUu6pUg

Nidaros
11-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Absolutely agree with you JackJD. Those of you who think there was any validity to USD being able to "muscle" the MVFC are not being very logical.

As TV said in his Twitter yesterday, the MVFC commissioner was shocked to find out that the two schools weren't joined "at the hip" (like SDSU and NDSU were). That was what opened the door to looking at the expansion.

A number of posters on different threads have alluded to SDSU pursuing Big Sky membership when we went D-1. Heck, we were pusuing any conference membership. I am personally thankful that we didn't get invited by the BSC and wound up where we are now. For the same reasons that I thought USD would be making a mistake by joining the Big Sky. (Not that I personally wouldn't have been particularly unhappy if that had gone that way.:D)

I could not have said it better. BT, there was no back room deal here or muscling by Abbott. President Abbott has shown his leadership skills again. Before being president at USD, he was very successful in business. One of our more respected SDSU donors felt he should have been president at SDSU. I dont recall where or when I read this but President Abbott is very well thought of across South Dakota. If not for the one party political voting system in SoDak he might have spent some time in Pierre and USD would be further behind in building than they currently are. Thats all I will say about his political background.

I can see where the MVFC commish conclueded that USD and UND were a packaged deal since I believe NDSU and SDSU came in as a package. She natually thought package once again in considering the xSD's. I am glad USD is there and if they had gotten into financial trouble due to memberhsip in BSC, then some of that back lashed would probably been absorbed by SDSU.

I too am glad BSC rejected our memberhship. With the Montana schools not certain about where they want to go, it's a weak conference without them.

BTownJack
11-07-2010, 03:27 PM
I wish I could say more.

Prairiehaas
11-07-2010, 04:01 PM
BTown, the deal is done. The details of how it went down are what they are and won't change the outcome. Like all changes this one has good and bad sides. We just need to make the best of it.

No need to keep rehashing this now. You don't want to end up spouting conspiracy theory, you risk being dumped in with another poster that carries a BSC avatar.

launcher46
11-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I wish I could say more.

BTown- I have learned that it is not worth trying to convince people of the truth on here. Not everyone is privy to the inside information that you are aware of and obviously believes everything that is said publicly. What you are saying on this issue is WAY closer to reality that what is being said on this board... You know it, I know it, but let them believe what they want.

joeboo22
11-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm going to compare the how this went down to how a hot dog is made. It might not be best to know the whole truth, however in the end everything is good or bad, or whatever you want it to be.

I think everyone is going to say the right things, the conference is going to say they were interested in USD all along but thought they and UND were tied together (I don't buy it cause, USD went to the Summit without UND and anyone with half a brain that could read, could tell they weren't 100% tied)

USD is going to say that they had all intentions of going to the Big Sky and MVFC offer came out of no where, or whatever they said happen.

I have my theory, some other people have their theories, the truth is only known between the presidents, the AD's and the conference office.

mitchellrabbit
11-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm going to compare the how this went down to how a hot dog is made. It might not be best to know the whole truth, however in the end everything is good or bad, or whatever you want it to be.

I think everyone is going to say the right things, the conference is going to say they were interested in USD all along but thought they and UND were tied together (I don't buy it cause, USD went to the Summit without UND and anyone with half a brain that could read, could tell they weren't 100% tied)

USD is going to say that they had all intentions of going to the Big Sky and MVFC offer came out of no where, or whatever they said happen.

I have my theory, some other people have their theories, the truth is only known between the presidents, the AD's and the conference office.

are you saying i wouldnt want to know how a hot dog is made? even a ballpark frank?

JackJD
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Here's what BTown wrote:

Launcher46 posts support of BTownJack. Launcher46 wrote, in part: What you are saying on this issue is WAY closer to reality that what is being said on this board... You know it, I know it, but let them believe what they want.

My question: What did BTtown say? Read his post. The only statement approaching a factual statement is "USD...threatened Patty V if USD & UnD go to the Big Sky, the big Sky was going to come after NDSU and SDSU...."

I think BTTown has been a reputable member of this board. I also think this is a very interesting story -- things seemed to change so rapidly in the matter of a few days. So, if BTownJack has some facts that dispute those gleaned from actual sources (primarily printed information from media sources including interviews with conference officials), lets hear them.

On the "threat" to Patty V, I think the Big Sky's Fullerton made it abundantly clear he wants (or wanted?) to take the Big Sky to 16 teams. That was published many times. SDSU and NDSU were the assumed targets for such additional expansion. And, it made sense. If the Summit and the MVFC failed, you can bet both NDSU and SDSU would be forced to consider options. I wouldn't call that a threat. I think it was one possible, and likely outcome if the Big Sky wanted to add new members. Doesn't seem like a threat to me. If you want to characterize it as a threat, I guess that's okay but the underlying facts were already known and it doesn't seem like something underhanded was going on (I use the word "underhanded" because I think that's the implication by the use of words like "weasle" and "threatened").

To suggest somehow USD wielded the kind of power to muscle the MVFC is not supported by anything that has been presented so far, including the statement made by BTown.

Maybe all that's going on here is a dispute about use of the word "threatened". I do not doubt USD may have shopped itself around and made a pitch for its entrance into the MVFC. I understand from printed stories that USD's Abbott told the MVFC after the MVFC said it had an opening, to put it in writing by Wednesday afternoon. USD had to make a decision.

If there was something nefarious, let's hear the facts. To suggest something was nefarious without stating any supporting facts is a disservice to a debate on the subject. Concluding with "trust me on this one" doesn't mean much.

I think Jacks#1Fan's response to BTTown's claims is the logical conclusion to be reached from the facts that have been made available. He wears a lot of Blue and Yellow, too. Are there some facts that have been missed?

JackJD
11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
My hope is that the rivalry between USD and SDSU returns to a more fun and respectful rivalry like I recall when I was at SDSU ('76 grad) and for many years after that. If the relationship turns poisoned right away -- like I think it was in the last 10 or so years of SDSU being in the NCC -- then I'm not going to be a very happy camper. So, I'm interested in knowing if there's something that suggests the relationship is already positioned to go down the toilet from the start. If that's the case, then something must be done before that happens.

Today's students at SDSU and USD have essentially no knowledge of USD and SDSU competing in the big attention-getting sports, football, and M & W basketball. Today's students have attended the respective universities at times when rules imposed strong sanctions for throwing stuff onto basketball courts etc. Behavior that was accepted or at least not sanctioned in the waning days of SDSU's membership in the NCC is totally off-limits under our present conference rules.

So, other than (or, if you wish, in addition to -- since it is, after all, a message board) opinions, concerns and fears...anybody have any facts we can discuss?

joeboo22
11-07-2010, 09:57 PM
are you saying i wouldnt want to know how a hot dog is made? even a ballpark frank?

Well, if thats what floats your boat, go ahead, but I just think there are some things that are best left unknown.

1stRowFANatic
11-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Just re-read B-Town and YFE's posts. Actually nothing conflicts, both could have happened at the same time.

SoDakJack
11-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I can't believe that this has become such a big deal. Who cares how it happened? Grasping at straws of a conspiracy just seems a bit ignorant.

Things happen behind closed doors all the time. All that matters is that the MVFC and Summit are stronger, more stable conferences.

Nidaros
11-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I can't believe that this has become such a big deal. Who cares how it happened? Grasping at straws of a conspiracy just seems a bit ignorant.

Things happen behind closed doors all the time. All that matters is that the MVFC and Summit are stronger, more stable conferences.

Unfortunately BT apparently has heard something unoffically and he feels reluctant to post it on this board. I can not agree more about a more stable conference comment. In fact rpts sent your way. Being in the BSC is not a feasible option for schools located in Eastern parts of Dakota.
Grand Forks being directly east of most the current BSC may save some some miles, but many more will be added when they have to head to Flagstaff and Weber State who I believe is in Ogeden. Getting direct flights will always be a concern. Flagstaff is a jaunt from Phoenix so will require a bus ride for athletes which will mean more travel time in the week. Lets say you play football at Flagstaff, you would hate to have them ride the bus 4 hrs on game day. These trips could mean travel starts on late Wednesday in order to have Friday on the ground and near the UNA campus. Even by air travel will not be easy. They could buy a jet, but that would be costly too.

So UND has a bunch of challenges ahead of them in terms of travel. Its not going to be cheap, and Abbott and Saylor have a pretty good idea where they stand in potential fundraising, and what efforts they do make will have to be for good purposes such as funds for faclities and scholarships. Being asked to help make up budget deficits due to travel to BSC opponents would never be an easy sell.

Speaking as a generous donor to SDSU athletes, I would consider things that would make a difference, to steal Coach Stigs favorite phrase, rather than contributing to something that is in the past, such as budget overruns and help is need to keep the ship afloat. You would at that point be rightfully questioning the judgement of those who chose to join the BSC.

I for one will be watching what shakes out for UND in budget matters. www.Siouxsports.com tells a gleefully story right now. Down the road five years will all that glee be there?

jackmd
11-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Exactly. I find it annoying the way some USD fans are chirping about the way they have manipulated the situation in their favor but I always find USD fans annoying so no big deal.

yoteforever
11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Exactly. I find it annoying the way some USD fans are chirping about the way they have manipulated the situation in their favor but I always find USD fans annoying so no big deal.

Jack......I mean Quack......I mean Attack........or

SMACK? ( IN NON-SMACK )

SoDakJack
11-08-2010, 12:01 PM

As a Jackrabbit fan I tend to find that annoying as well. But I also find Bison fans talking about their past national championships annoying, and Jackrabbit fans talking about being trailblazers annoying. To be fair, it isn't the entire fanbases of these programs, but just the ones that have a hard time with civilized discussions.

OKC_Poke
11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
As a Jackrabbit fan I tend to find that annoying as well. But I also find Bison fans talking about their past national championships annoying, and Jackrabbit fans talking about being trailblazers annoying. To be fair, it isn't the entire fanbases of these programs, but just the ones that have a hard time with civilized discussions.

Hey, be grateful you guys never had to deal with BYU fans. Ho boy.....I wouldn't wish them on anybody including all anti-American terrorist groups!

jack43
11-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't know if this is the right section for this opinion, since there are so many threads (which is ridiculous) dedicated to talking about USD to the MVFC, but I will give my two cents here.
I frequently visit this board to check on all things SDSU as it is unfortunately my primary source of information. (I refuse to read the Argus in print or online, because I cant bring myself to support crap. TV is good but I find the rest of the paper to be quite amateur) Although it saddened me last week to hear that USD will be joining the MVFC, I have come to the realization that the addition of another school to the Summit league will make the league more stable (at least for the next 5-10 years before major NCAA realignment takes place). However, I was very reluctant to visit this message board chatter the past week as it irritated me to hear the SDSU-USD rivalry supporters act like this was the biggest South Dakota Sports moment in the past decade. I strayed from the message board until today, 6 days after the story surfaced, as I thought the joyous outcry from fans would have died down by now and that most avid supporters of the move would be chaffing by now anyway. I was completely wrong, and honestly a little upset/embarrased by the SDSU fan base. For those of you who have been dreaming of the 'sweet rivalry t-shirts' you plan to make 700 days from now.....news flash - THIS IS NDSU WEEK! Aren't you a little embarrased that there are more posts and views dedicated to the USD-SDSU rivalry than the NDSU game? We have two games left this year and many games to think about next year, and hopefully the football team doesn not have the same love affair with USD as our fans and that they can focus on being 1-0 this week or we will get beat handily.

Now that our meeting with USD is inevitable, I am willing to accept it and move on...business as usual, but the thoughts and messages posted this week have completely reaffirmed my previous stance on not renewing the rivalry. From the few messages I have viewed, I sense that we view this move by USD to be a victory for ourselves, as fans,....as we have some personal vendetta vs the other school. For most, I think it is forgetten that the game happens ON THE FIELD...not in the parking lots, on message boards, on t-shirts. For those of us who have witnessed and been involved in the rivalry - it goes without saying that it is ugly. I am begging SDSU fans to act like fans and support your team on the field. Dont get involved in all the childish fan behavior that has detracted from the contest in the past. The only way that our team can accomplish its goals is if they approach each game equally and week-by-week. As fans, I hope that we can do the same.

I do have one additional comment to make regarding this game, since I have already spent time typing this message. Since this game will be highly attended regardless of venue - I think that USD's and SDSU's ADs should really consider asking the MVFC to think about scheduling this game every year on either the SD pheasant opener or as the last game of the year. It makes all the financial sense in the world as both schools and subsequently the conference would benefit. (It's a no-brainer.....you can play Indiana State on one of these weeks and get 10,000 fans or play USD and get 16-17,000 fans. 7000 extra butts in the seats x $20/head = 140,000 extra scratch) If the league is willing to listen, this is a move that in my opinion MUST BE CONSIDERED. Please contemplate contacting Justin Sell via email in support of this possibility.
Enough talk about the pups down south.....its a true rivalry week! - Let's beat the Bison!

SoDakJack
11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't know if this is the right section for this opinion, since there are so many threads (which is ridiculous) dedicated to talking about USD to the MVFC, but I will give my two cents here.
I frequently visit this board to check on all things SDSU as it is unfortunately my primary source of information. (I refuse to read the Argus in print or online, because I cant bring myself to support crap. TV is good but I find the rest of the paper to be quite amateur) Although it saddened me last week to hear that USD will be joining the MVFC, I have come to the realization that the addition of another school to the Summit league will make the league more stable (at least for the next 5-10 years before major NCAA realignment takes place). However, I was very reluctant to visit this message board chatter the past week as it irritated me to hear the SDSU-USD rivalry supporters act like this was the biggest South Dakota Sports moment in the past decade. I strayed from the message board until today, 6 days after the story surfaced, as I thought the joyous outcry from fans would have died down by now and that most avid supporters of the move would be chaffing by now anyway. I was completely wrong, and honestly a little upset/embarrased by the SDSU fan base. For those of you who have been dreaming of the 'sweet rivalry t-shirts' you plan to make 700 days from now.....news flash - THIS IS NDSU WEEK! Aren't you a little embarrased that there are more posts and views dedicated to the USD-SDSU rivalry than the NDSU game? We have two games left this year and many games to think about next year, and hopefully the football team doesn not have the same love affair with USD as our fans and that they can focus on being 1-0 this week or we will get beat handily.

Now that our meeting with USD is inevitable, I am willing to accept it and move on...business as usual, but the thoughts and messages posted this week have completely reaffirmed my previous stance on not renewing the rivalry. From the few messages I have viewed, I sense that we view this move by USD to be a victory for ourselves, as fans,....as we have some personal vendetta vs the other school. For most, I think it is forgetten that the game happens ON THE FIELD...not in the parking lots, on message boards, on t-shirts. For those of us who have witnessed and been involved in the rivalry - it goes without saying that it is ugly. I am begging SDSU fans to act like fans and support your team on the field. Dont get involved in all the childish fan behavior that has detracted from the contest in the past. The only way that our team can accomplish its goals is if they approach each game equally and week-by-week. As fans, I hope that we can do the same.

I do have one additional comment to make regarding this game, since I have already spent time typing this message. Since this game will be highly attended regardless of venue - I think that USD's and SDSU's ADs should really consider asking the MVFC to think about scheduling this game every year on either the SD pheasant opener or as the last game of the year. It makes all the financial sense in the world as both schools and subsequently the conference would benefit. (It's a no-brainer.....you can play Indiana State on one of these weeks and get 10,000 fans or play USD and get 16-17,000 fans. 7000 extra butts in the seats x $20/head = 140,000 extra scratch) If the league is willing to listen, this is a move that in my opinion MUST BE CONSIDERED. Please contemplate contacting Justin Sell via email in support of this possibility.
Enough talk about the pups down south.....its a true rivalry week! - Let's beat the Bison!

The reason for my happiness with USD joining the conference has nothing to do with the rivalry. It has more to do with adding stability to our home conferences while at the same time making the cash flow picture for the athletic department much more appealing.

For all those folks that think that SDSU doesn't need USD in some small way are not looking at the big picture. The two DI programs in this state need to be allies when it comes to making changes to the way the BoR have done things in the past. And, by having the teams play one another again and consistantly generating talk around the state will allow the schools to continue to progress.

I find it very amusing that people talk about not living in the past, but when it comes to our friends down south, a good majority of people are firmly planted in past transgressions.

jackmd
11-10-2010, 02:23 PM
My feelings about this issue are very similar to jack43. I think it is unfortunate that we aren't keeping more focus on what SDSU has become and where we want to be. I think it would be a huge mistake to return to the days where the USD game is any more important than the other FB games. I think that sort of thinking is part of the reason we were both mediocre during the days or yore.

DI isn't about one rivalry game. It may be for some fans but it can't be for those who really want to see SDSU succeed. Adding a more established regional program would have been better regardless of the impact on the rivalry, fact is, there weren't many other options. Having USD join the BSC would have been just fine and would have allowed for the rivalry to resume with less restrictions if it weren't for the needs of the Summit league which had to be considered.

So, USD is now in our conference again. I don't think that changes our future one bit except to say that it may stabilize a Summit league that has undergone some shifting. The only way to keep them in the SL was to add them to the MVFC and therefore it happened. I've been in support of the move to DI from the beginning, the beginning where USD said they would not do and would not support SDSU. Why now would I give a sigh of relief the USD is back? In fact, I say be cautious, I'm not willing to fully trust an entity that just a few short years ago had no interest in SDSU's success.

jackmd
11-10-2010, 02:27 PM
And, by having the teams play one another again and consistantly generating talk around the state will allow the schools to continue to progress.

I find it very amusing that people talk about not living in the past, but when it comes to our friends down south, a good majority of people are firmly planted in past transgressions.

I don't think its advisable to look only ahead, many past issues/transgressions merit remembrance.

Having the teams play again is important but its not critical, in fact, I'd say placing too much focus on this single game will be detrimental and not beneficial. It's ONE GAME on a schedule full of MUCH MORE IMPORTANT games.

Lastly, just how much of a financial impact do people expect this to have? Millions of dollars for each school? When you think about actual numbers it's underwhelming at best.

yotemeal
11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't think its advisable to look only ahead, many past issues/transgressions merit remembrance.

Having the teams play again is important but its not critical, in fact, I'd say placing too much focus on this single game will be detrimental and not beneficial. It's ONE GAME on a schedule full of MUCH MORE IMPORTANT games.

Lastly, just how much of a financial impact do people expect this to have? Millions of dollars for each school? When you think about actual numbers it's underwhelming at best.

Once USD becomes an official member of the Summit and MVFC, at minimum, won't the USD games become just as important as any other conference games in the schedules? I suspect attendance ($) figures will tell the story. I, as an advocate for rivalry resumption, have also always thought that the rivalry can resume without compromising broader objectives. I think USD v. SDSU is just another storyline added to the conference drama. After all, sports is theater.

jackmd
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Once USD becomes an official member of the Summit and MVFC, at minimum, won't the USD games become just as important as any other conference games in the schedules? I suspect attendance ($) figures will tell the story. I, as an advocate for rivalry resumption, have also always thought that the rivalry can resume without compromising broader objectives. I think USD v. SDSU is just another storyline added to the conference drama. After all, sports is theater.

I don't disagree. My concern is more along the lines of the fan that assumes the game against USD is more important than a game against ORU or Oakland simply based on their lack of knowledge about those other programs. Don't get me wrong, I clearly understood the day was coming when the rivalry would renew, I knew it would be because of conference affiliation and I knew it would get more press than it deserved. I just don't want people to lose focus the much more important goal of being competitive at the DI level nationally, not just beating USD, NDSU, or UND.

rabidrabbit
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=381

A "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" Moment
USD displays business savvy to leverage conference market

Great opinion on the transaction that occurred last week.

USD = extremely well played

UND = consolation prize

How soon before we see Big Sky/Summit work out a UND in Summit for all but football?

A: About 3 days after Montana goes to the WAC.

JackJD
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I thought the story as it unfolded last week, was very interesting. I held the opinion for a long time that USD and SDSU should be in different conferences. I became convinced in the past couple of weeks that being in the same conference is the best result.

Going forward, I agree with Jack43 and the concurring opinion of JackMD. Yotemeal is correct too: games between SDSU and USD will be important conference games just like other conference games.

For me, the "rivalry" was toxic in the last few years (8? 10?) SDSU was in the NCC. I hope the break in contact over the past several years put an end of the nastiness and that it'll just be entertainment going forward. If it gets toxic again, I'm going to be very disappointed and I hope there's an immediate, strong reaction by the conference office and all concerned.

Now, as Jack43 said: THIS IS THE BIG RIVALRY WEEK -- NDSU AND THE DAKOTA MARKER.

Pie is being served for this thread.

LakeJack
11-11-2010, 12:02 AM
http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/usd-to-renew-rivalry-1.2399764

and

http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/coyotes-find-official-conference-home-in-2012-1.2399738

slosho
11-11-2010, 07:22 AM
http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/usd-to-renew-rivalry-1.2399764

and

http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/coyotes-find-official-conference-home-in-2012-1.2399738

It's good to see that all most yote fans are concerned about is SDSU athletics
USD has given SDSU a lot of free press... If I was an impressionable teen trying to decide which state school to go to... I might wonder, just how good must SDSU be? If all I hear, even from their rival is about them...

So yote fans, great to have you aboard... but don't be suprized when these meetings are no more important in the SDSU fans mind then the average conference match-up.

All the talk latley about it has got me feeling blase toward the whole thing..

Now.. the Fison on the other hand... Let's go make it 2 in a row in the F-dome

SoDakJack
11-11-2010, 08:40 AM

It is just too bad that the memory that many have of the rivalry is the negative aspect of it. There were many, many great games played between the schools and they seemed to always be toward the top of the conference.

The financial impact will be felt right away. Instead of having to travel to SUU for basketball, volleyball, etc the Jacks will be able to bus to Vermillion. That right there is an instant impact. Add into that the fact that ticket sales to a USD basketball game will outsell a Centenary/SUU game the money will also be noticeable.

To think that the addition will have an "underwhelming" impact is to be a bit shortsighted.

joeboo22
11-11-2010, 08:33 PM
It is just too bad that the memory that many have of the rivalry is the negative aspect of it. There were many, many great games played between the schools and they seemed to always be toward the top of the conference.

The financial impact will be felt right away. Instead of having to travel to SUU for basketball, volleyball, etc the Jacks will be able to bus to Vermillion. That right there is an instant impact. Add into that the fact that ticket sales to a USD basketball game will outsell a Centenary/SUU game the money will also be noticeable.

To think that the addition will have an "underwhelming" impact is to be a bit shortsighted.

Lets do the math. I'm doing this off the top of my head so bare with me.

for example say 2,200 show up for SUU game
and 5,700 for USD game(is that about what Frost holds now?)
that is 3,500 more, except the fact that of the 2,200 that showed up for the SUU game you have to add the 600+ season ticket holders that didn't show up so it is really a 2,900 difference. At 10 bucks a pop for a ticket your looking at around $29,000 more for a basketball game. Now some of the 2,900 will be student who have already paid with student fees. But I don't know what the actual numbers are.

So the verdict is, will adding USD be more beneficial to the conference for basketball? Yes, because it will give a sell out for basketball and a short road trip. If they hadn't been added, another team would have been added not as close, or out of conference contracts would have had to be sought after which generally come out equal at best.

I guess what I am saying is even though it will help its not as big as some may make it out to be.

I think getting the seating figured out at Frost will help with season ticket sales that are close to being sold out. Many people say well only 1800 showed up at so and so game and a sell out will be at a USD game so its a big money difference but forget about the season tickets that are paid for if they showed up or not.

SoDakJack
11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Lets do the math. I'm doing this off the top of my head so bare with me.

for example say 2,200 show up for SUU game
and 5,700 for USD game(is that about what Frost holds now?)
that is 3,500 more, except the fact that of the 2,200 that showed up for the SUU game you have to add the 600+ season ticket holders that didn't show up so it is really a 2,900 difference. At 10 bucks a pop for a ticket your looking at around $29,000 more for a basketball game. Now some of the 2,900 will be student who have already paid with student fees. But I don't know what the actual numbers are.

So the verdict is, will adding USD be more beneficial to the conference for basketball? Yes, because it will give a sell out for basketball and a short road trip. If they hadn't been added, another team would have been added not as close, or out of conference contracts would have had to be sought after which generally come out equal at best.

I guess what I am saying is even though it will help its not as big as some may make it out to be.

I think getting the seating figured out at Frost will help with season ticket sales that are close to being sold out. Many people say well only 1800 showed up at so and so game and a sell out will be at a USD game so its a big money difference but forget about the season tickets that are paid for if they showed up or not.

Anything that the athletic department can do to generate more season tickets is a positive. That just means possiblly more cash from parking passes, donations to guarantee seats, etc. Having an in-state school is a much better situation than having any other school in the conference.

And, to be fair to both schools, almost all the people that had anything to do with the old rivalry are gone. I don't believe that we will see anything close to the negative things we saw at the end of the NCC days.

JackJD
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm doing this off the top of my head so bare with me.

When I read your post a second time, I followed your directions and took my hat off too...then it made better sense.

;)

jackmd
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Anything that the athletic department can do to generate more season tickets is a positive. That just means possiblly more cash from parking passes, donations to guarantee seats, etc. Having an in-state school is a much better situation than having any other school in the conference.

And, to be fair to both schools, almost all the people that had anything to do with the old rivalry are gone. I don't believe that we will see anything close to the negative things we saw at the end of the NCC days.

I think your missing my point. Games against USD are a good thing but they are not the Holy Grail. Many shortsighted individuals loudly protested the move to DI based on the dissolution of the NCC and the associated rivalries. Those are your shortsighted individuals. Now, many of those same shortsighted people, are overly excited about the resumption of previous said rivalry potentially as a detriment to the larger goal, competitiveness at the highest level (DI) on a national scale. So, celebrate if you must the resumption of one competition but don't be so foolish as to lose focus on the much larger goal. I, too, look forward to being able to see the Jackrabbits play in many sports much closer to my home. The negative, I'll have to set foot in the dakotadome. I guess I'll hit Carey's and Pro's first to "take the edge off".

BTownJack
11-12-2010, 06:32 PM
The negative, I'll have to set foot in the dakotadome. I guess I'll hit Carey's and Pro's first to "take the edge off".

Amen to this...if I do get dillusional and find myself in Vermillion for a USD-SDSU game I will definitely have to kick a few cold ones back before the game!