Can we do gameday like the big boys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we do gameday like the big boys?

I was in Austin this weekend and went to the Texas vs. Baylor football game. Quite frankly, I think that we do gameday pretty well. They do have a few things going that we don't. I have no desire to make our gameday a little Texas style of game day, but they do have some neat traditions.

I refused to make the sign of the Longhorn (extending my index finger and pinkie) but it is a tremendous show of unity within their stadium. I was trying to think of what we could do. I can't figure out a real dignified way to do rabbit ears.

Some here have mentioned a cannon. They have one in Texas. It's loud "boom" is actually made by simultaneously firing two 10 gauge shotgun shell blanks.

Their band is every bit as good as the Pride, but a little bigger. They did an interesting little thing with their halftime show last night. It might be something for the Pride to consider trying sometime. They featured their video board as part of the halftime show. I think everyone here is at least somewhat familiar with their big screen. They made it a karaoke machine for the crowd to sing along. It was a dismal failure on the first song they attempted because not enough people knew the song. Their second song, Sweet Caroline, worked much better. They also did Journey's Can't Stop Believin' and that worked pretty well too. Once the crowd knew the song, they really got into it.

They did something with their team intro video before the game that I think South Dakota State could proudly do. The University of Texas is the flagship university in Texas just as SDSU is South Dakota's flagship university. They included scenes from around Texas and the strength that the place pictured represented, for example, a picture of the Alamo to signify bravery. Perhaps some of us could come up with things to put in SDSU's video to signify some of the characteristics of SDSU. We probably should avoid a thundering herd of bison in Custer State Park, but then again, one of the most famous scenes each year is the rounding up of the bison into corrals. That seems to represent what has happened on the football field these last three years.

What are other universities doing that we could adapt, but not copy, into gameday at South Dakota State to strengthen our gameday traditions?
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: Can we do gameday like the big boys?

easy, at the end of the national anthem just say

and the home of the BISON!

Comment

Originally posted by mgbison View Post

smackish?????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

Comment

Tacky at best.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I just threw up in my mouth a little remembering I'll have to hear that in two weeks. What a lack of respect - stay classy Fargo.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Great thought-provoking comments, WestRiver. I loved the karaoke idea with the video screen. As noted, the rabbit ears presents problems -- everytime you put up rabbit ears, somebody is taking a picture. The scenes is a fabulous idea: what more recognizable symbol of this country and the great things it stands for than Mt. Rushmore. SDSU is the only university in the State with students and grads from every county in the State. South Dakota Tourism in Pierre has some great pictures that could be put up on the video board.

I know our friend mgbison is just making a friendly wisecrack but I don't think the fans from either NDSU or UND understand how their shouting out their team name before the National Anthem is finished and the flag retired is pretty offensive to most SDSU fans. If they'd pay attention, they'd see the SDSU fans basically standing at attention until the flag is retired. If my memory is correct, the shouting was started many years ago by UND but NDSU picked up on it pretty quickly, trying to shout-down the UND crowd. Doesn't work here (I don't think it works at USD, either...my memory is the Coyotes show the same respect for the flag as we do.)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I know our friend mgbison is just making a friendly wisecrack but I don't think the fans from either NDSU or UND understand how their shouting out their team name before the National Anthem is finished and the flag retired is pretty offensive to most SDSU fans. If they'd pay attention, they'd see the SDSU fans basically standing at attention until the flag is retired. If my memory is correct, the shouting was started many years ago by UND but NDSU picked up on it pretty quickly, trying to shout-down the UND crowd. Doesn't work here (I don't think it works at USD, either...my memory is the Coyotes show the same respect for the flag as we do.)

Thanks JD. However, I have observed that the pre-game festivities at CAS often continue to another segment, with announcements over the PA system before the color guard has left the field and retired the colors. I do wish that the SDSU game day planners would put an end to this practice. We have a Marine Corps Junior ROTC color guard at athletic events at the high school in our community and there are never any other activities or announcements before the color guard has left the field or court of play. If my interpretation is incorrect I trust that I will be corrected. And just in case this thread is drifting already, let's make it an irreversible tradition on game day at SDSU to always pay proper respect to our nation, our nations symbols, and those who have made sacrifices to keep our nation free.
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                Thanks JD. However, I have observed that the pre-game festivities at CAS often continue to another segment, with announcements over the PA system before the color guard has left the field and retired the colors. I do wish that the SDSU game day planners would put an end to this practice. We have a Marine Corps Junior ROTC color guard at athletic events at the high school in our community and there are never any other activities or announcements before the color guard has left the field or court of play. If my interpretation is incorrect I trust that I will be corrected. And just in case this thread is drifting already, let's make it an irreversible tradition on game day at SDSU to always pay proper respect to our nation, our nations symbols, and those who have made sacrifices to keep our nation free.
                I agree. I think it's cool at basketball games when the entire crowd stays standing and silent as the colors leave the court.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

rabbit ears would probably be done the same way the longhorns do theirs. Texax Tech proabably has the coolest hand gesture. The guns blazing or something like that. They have their index finger and thumb sticking out and pointing up in the air. One of TT's olineman messed up his knee pretty bad a couple of years ago and was hauled off on a strecher, and on his way out he did the guns hand gesture the whole time he was being carted off. It was pretty cool. My description doesn't really do it justice.

NC state Wolfpack does a longhorn gesture with the middle fingers moving which is kinda cool.

Minnesota has their m-i-n-n-e-s-o-t-a chant after every td or goal.

Wisconsin's jump around tops the cake in my book. It goes crazy.

Ohio State has the best damn band in the land. It's cool watching the one guy go crazy.

I'm sure the list goes on. The key is not changing your intro every year, that way it becomes more tradition. NDSU for example, we've used thunder struck for 20 some years now. VT with enter sandman (probably the best intro in my book)

Miami has the hurricane siren going off (kinda lame though)

Comment

South Dakota already does the video entrance with scenes of recognizable landmarks across the state, Mt Rushmore, the State Capitol, the Corn Palace, the DakotaDome, and then Charlie on the back of a Harley leading the team onto the field. Kinda pays homage to the whole Sturgis Bike Rally. Kinda neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwxJNmZ9HA

Comment

The number one thing that could be done to make the intro better would be to close down tailgating at least 45 minutes prior to kickoff. Half the west side is still under the grandstand for kickoff.

I would also be partial to Hells Bells for an intro song, with a giant cowbell rung right before the song starts.

Our best tradition (the cowbell) was taken away from us.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

rabbit ears would probably be done the same way the longhorns do theirs. Texax Tech proabably has the coolest hand gesture. The guns blazing or something like that.
                        Rabbit = peace sign with index and middle finger bent slightly forward. Now make a "hopping" gesture and ask yourself if we want to be doing that to intimidate our opponents. I don't know the answer to that question.

How about just both arms straight up, waving around for a crowd full of rabbit ears?
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                          South Dakota already does the video entrance with scenes of recognizable landmarks across the state, Mt Rushmore, the State Capitol, the Corn Palace, the DakotaDome, and then Charlie on the back of a Harley leading the team onto the field. Kinda pays homage to the whole Sturgis Bike Rally. Kinda neat.

That's a well done intro for da 'Yotes. A little too hard for my 70's era ears, but nice job on bringing in the images.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post

I like the idea, but hated the song and the CORN PALACE. What a joke. Might as well include Wall Drug and Keystone. Badlands, Pheasant hunting, the Needles...something other than that tacky thing.
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

[QUOTE=mgbison;162693]rabbit ears would probably be done the same way the longhorns do theirs. Texax Tech proabably has the coolest hand gesture. The guns blazing or something like that. QUOTE]

I went to a Nebraska game a few years back and could only get tickets through the Texas Tech alumni association (they must not put much efort into double checking an alumni list), anyway, my seats were in the middle of the Tech section. The phrase I heard all night was "git yer guns up". I prefer the Huskers throwin' the bones, but I'm a little biased.

Maybe State could do something related to Hobos. Turning up a bottle perhaps??? A thumb up for hitchhiking???
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                              X