Wichita State Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Football

Any chance it could return? The last football season played by the Shockers was 1986. There's a contingent of WSU fans who want to bring football back (there's a website dedicated to the subject).

The school's home stadium, Cessna Stadium, seats 30,000 and while the focus is on track and field (it's a great track and field venue), its history includes Shocker football.

In true message-board fashion, if we spend enough time speculating, doesn't it become true? Seriously, to get the Shockers back in Missouri Valley Football would be a great development.

Re: Wichita State Football

I remember driving by this staduim sometime in the 1970's and it was an impressive staduim then. Apparently Cessna got the naming rights by contributing to the cause.

To revive any costly program, takes effort and I don't see it happening. Seems like Pittsburg State a D2 Power played a game there a few years ago, other than the track events, this staduim probably does not get much use. Its a real shame ans waste of facilities.

Comment

Lamar dropped football and brought it back. (Lamar is UND's opponent Saturday.)

There's significant support for a return of Shocker football although "significant" hasn't carried the day.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Lamar dropped football and brought it back. (Lamar is UND's opponent Saturday.)

There's significant support for a return of Shocker football although "significant" hasn't carried the day.
        The thing with Lamar, they are in Beumont Texas and in the middle of some of the best high school football so recruiting will be easy. I think its a shame that a 33k staduim is generally empty every Saturday afternoon. I am with u on reviving the program, and hope something does move the masses.

Wichita has a big dependency on Cessna for jobs so no surpise about the name. I heard recently, though that one of candidates for US House is running on a issue of too many jobs being out sourced. So apparently Cessna has dirty hands when it comes to the outsourcing issue. That might put some bad tastes in some mouths of would be supporters of bringing the program back.

The economic times are tough all over and probably in Wichita too, and that makes it hard for those who want to bring back football.

SDSU played them as far back as the 1950's and on one Hobo day in the 1930's we skunked the Wheat shockers. They came to Brookings believe it or not.

Comment

Just checked College Football Data Warehouse.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div...hp?teamid=3552

Wichita State is 4-1 lifetime against the 'Jacks. SDSU's only win came in 1937, 20-6, in Brookings.

Last meeting was in 1955 in Brookings, a 33-7 loss to the Shockers.
          Last edited by OKC_Poke; 10-29-2010, 07:17 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
            Just checked College Football Data Warehouse.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div...hp?teamid=3552

Wichita State is 4-1 lifetime against the 'Jacks. SDSU's only win came in 1937, 20-6, in Brookings.

Last meeting was in 1955 in Brookings, a 33-7 loss to the Shockers.
            Thanks OKC Poke. I do faintly remember the 1955 game. I was 14 years old at the time and I see I was wrong on the Hobo Day score. Historically, that 1937 game is one of our big wins along with beating Wisconsin of the B-10 in 1935. Wichita State played at a higher level pretty much even though the NCAA did not have divisions like they now have. I think with 63 scholies we could better compete with the Shockers if they were still playing football.

Comment

Working...
            X